The New Car Fanatic Thread

Assman

50 minutes ago, AUinHsv said:

I have a list of cars that someone should do a Carrol Shelby with. Claim you have parts and build the  original and sell as new.  Late 80's Prelude, Early 90's Cherokee, 3rd Gen 4Runner, E46 BMW start the list. Add a few features like carplay but the old body etc. Funny but I owned all these but the Prelude. Had it's first cousin - late 80's Accord

FD RX7, Supra Mk4, OG NSX...

9 hours ago, 52-80 said:

I dont judge people on the car they drive. Unless the car they drive is this:

image.thumb.jpeg.749bb5376487d21a6e8dda1f0ce61822.jpeg

Buddy of mine had one of the previous generation of those.  Back seat headroom was terrible.  It wasn't even a good hauler for 4 adults. It sounded good and was fast, though.

15 hours ago, 52-80 said:

Our night nanny drives one of these and I had to move it to our garage before the hurricane came through. I actually didn’t mind the drive. It makes sense to own in a city with roads this shitty I guess instead of a sedan. It’s like a fancy Aztec. 

Our night nanny drives one of these and I had to move it to our garage before the hurricane came through. I actually didn’t mind the drive. It makes sense to own in a city with roads this shitty I guess instead of a sedan. It’s like a fancy Aztec. 

Do you have any openings, for a nurse, or doctor of neighborhood, what about legal, accounting, or IT? Asking for a friend.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, General Specific said:

Do you have any openings, for a nurse, or doctor of neighborhood, what about legal, accounting, or IT? Asking for a friend.

I'll get back to you. I'm workshopping an "openings" joke. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Da Fino said:

1. Solid humble brag.

2. I think you need to look into how much you’re paying your night nanny and/or how much she’s stealing from you while you’re sleeping.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

19 minutes ago, Prepuce of Doom said:

I especially appreciated the insinuation that their garage is far enough from wherever the night nanny normally parks such that a meaningful test drive was possible. 

Give him credit for doing it himself while the valet was running the disaster checklist for the generator, electric perimeter fence and moat. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

14 hours ago, Sam Lin said:

Fuggin' hate all the hunchbacks. Cayenne Coupe is particularly fugly with the spoiler raised. Looks like it got rear-ended.

I'm not a fan of the BMWs, but I think the Porsche and Audi look really nice. I can't decide if I like the MB or not.

My wife had one. It was fine for us and the kid. She really liked it. That said - it was terrible on gas and tires. She now has an M340i.
  • Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)
On 7/11/2024 at 8:37 AM, Okie State said:

WTF is a night nanny?

I feel like that’s pretty self-explanatory. I guess I’ve also heard “night nurse” to describe it. Anyway, they let me sleep and it’s probably the best money I’ve ever spent. 

Edited to add: we have a newborn, if that clears it up at all. 

Edited by Da Fino

11 minutes ago, Da Fino said:

I feel like that’s pretty self-explanatory. I guess I’ve also heard “night nurse” to describe it. Anyway, they let me sleep and it’s probably the best money I’ve ever spent. 

What y'all have is too much money.

11 minutes ago, Rimbo said:

What y'all have is too much money.

I think that’s a silly thing to say if you don’t know our situation, but I understand how you would come to that conclusion. 

Ain't no such thing as too much money.  

And just my personal opinion, I loathe ALL of those humpy hunchy small SUV or crossovers or whatever you want to call them, type of vehicles.  I don't care if they're track monsters or super fast or super elegant or whatever, they just look terrible.

Cars should look like cars, and SUVs should look like SUVs. Preferably, like THIS:

The Canyonero jingle from 'The Simpsons' just got a pop-punk cover |  Mashable

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, elfenix said:

Now that Nissan is killing the Altima, what will be the car of choice for the worst drivers on the road? Rogue has a leg up but Model Y seems like a dark horse.

Model Y will be too expensive for them to keep on the road. Non-M used BMWs, used Kia Stingers and the afore mentioned K5. I suspect there are enough used Altimas on the road they will hold onto their lead for a while longer. 

16 hours ago, elfenix said:

Now that Nissan is killing the Altima, what will be the car of choice for the worst drivers on the road? Rogue has a leg up but Model Y seems like a dark horse.

The Sentra and Altima have been trading the title back and forth for 20 years - no reason for that to change now. Whatever the cheapest Nissan is will always have a share of the crown. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 7/22/2024 at 12:13 PM, elfenix said:

Chrysler 300

On 7/17/2024 at 6:07 PM, utee94 said:

And just my personal opinion, I loathe ALL of those humpy hunchy small SUV or crossovers or whatever you want to call them, type of vehicles.  I don't care if they're track monsters or super fast or super elegant or whatever, they just look terrible.

The typical owner of these vehicles have, on average, 2 DUIs

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, noharleyyet said:

This is having too much money....

brabus-800-black-gold-edition.jpg

doesn't have portal axles so not quite.

g-wagon is probably the douchiest car on the road though. respect any that have mud on them but i've never seen one.

• Hook 'Em 2

20 hours ago, elfenix said:

doesn't have portal axles so not quite.

g-wagon is probably the douchiest car on the road though. respect any that have mud on them but i've never seen one.

Lmao at Brabus low profiles going off road. 

TIL factory-fitted portal axles, a 9" wider track, and 7.9" additional ground clerance were offered on the 2017 G550 4x4².  Those still command a hefty resale premium, rivaling late models of the Hummer H1, though the G550's numbers bests the Hummer's in every dimension except the bank angle.

Also TIL only the 2006-model 'Alpha' Hummer H1 is the one to get, as it was factory fitted with the 6.6L LLY Duramax and Alison 1000 trans.  All prior models had the 6.2L diesel and TH400 or 6.5L with a 4L80E. 

2 hours ago, Gravy Train said:

Also TIL only the 2006-model 'Alpha' Hummer H1 is the one to get, as it was factory fitted with the 6.6L LLY Duramax and Alison 1000 trans.  All prior models had the 6.2L diesel and TH400 or 6.5L with a 4L80E. 

Thought they had one year with the LBZ as well?   

On 7/17/2024 at 10:07 AM, utee94 said:

And just my personal opinion, I loathe ALL of those humpy hunchy small SUV or crossovers or whatever you want to call them

station wagons

On 7/16/2024 at 9:05 PM, Da Fino said:

Honest question. I had never heard that term in my life. Not judging though.

• Hook 'Em 1

21 minutes ago, tbone_ said:

Why? The modern crossover is a pretty damed functional vehicle. Bland and homogenous as all get out. But still very functional.

Lower center of gravity, lower weight, better handling, equal or better cargo space with more rear legroom, and better for fucking with the rear seats down. 

• Like 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1