The New Car Fanatic Thread

Assman

Not sure if this is an appropriate thread, but this seems to be the car one - looking for some confirmation on my limited diagnostic capabilities before I figure out getting this thing towed to a garage. 2019 Jeep Cherokee, wife's car, won't start. It was being a little funny a week or so ago but I only have my wife's extremely sparse description to know what was happening. We for some reason thought it was the fob batteries, which I replaced, but now it does this whenever you try and start. I just tried jumping it, and it gives a single click and nothing, which makes me think starter not battery? I was hoping maybe I could buy a battery and replace it and have a good shot at fixing this, but now I'm thinking I need to get it towed to a garage. Any help much appreciated.

9 minutes ago, Celery Man said:

Not sure if this is an appropriate thread, but this seems to be the car one - looking for some confirmation on my limited diagnostic capabilities before I figure out getting this thing towed to a garage. 2019 Jeep Cherokee, wife's car, won't start. It was being a little funny a week or so ago but I only have my wife's extremely sparse description to know what was happening. We for some reason thought it was the fob batteries, which I replaced, but now it does this whenever you try and start. I just tried jumping it, and it gives a single click and nothing, which makes me think starter not battery? I was hoping maybe I could buy a battery and replace it and have a good shot at fixing this, but now I'm thinking I need to get it towed to a garage. Any help much appreciated.

Can't be positive, but seems like an ECM problem.  Is it turning over just a little bit?

Does an ECM problem mean it would be useful to disconnect the battery for a bit, reconnect, and try again? I may do that.... I managed to get it stuck halfway out of the garage, manually disengaging the park lock and pushing it out with my foot so I could reach the jumper cables but engaging the parking brake without realizing the electric parking brake won't manually disengage 😢

Just tossing this out.  With all the electronics in these - the old rules of whether it clicks or not may not apply. grab a volt meter and see what the battery says. Low voltage from the battery can cause a world or weird symptoms in newer cars. On a 2019 it is probably time to replace it anyway.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

34 minutes ago, AUinHsv said:

Just tossing this out.  With all the electronics in these - the old rules of whether it clicks or not may not apply. grab a volt meter and see what the battery says. Low voltage from the battery can cause a world or weird symptoms in newer cars. On a 2019 it is probably time to replace it anyway.

Yeah, that's a good point.

• Hook 'Em 1

yeah i figure something battery related is the most likely culprit, still a little tempted to just swap the battery and see if that fixes it.  I thought maybe jumping it might definitively indicate battery, but it didn't work - I guess I'm debating spending the $200 on a battery and trying that fix, or if I should just bite the bullet and get it towed somewhere where they can get it right the first time.

You should buy a battery tester first man. Can get one from whatever the closest auto parts store is, then you will know if battery is bad or not. If it's a 2019, the original battery may be shot.

• Like 3

I think I’m just going to pop the battery out first thing, swing by oreilly’s or wherever and get it tested while I’m out for groceries and just buy a new one if it’s bad. That’s worth the effort to save my wife’s Uber across town to work on Monday and potentially avoid a tow/shop visit. Thanks y’all.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/24/2024 at 10:38 AM, Chewbacca said:
On 8/24/2024 at 10:25 AM, Bert Orange said:
Oh. Thought that was the RSQ8

Same engine as that, too. Only difference is a tune which I'm sure I'll do at some point. But for now, 500hp is enough.

How much for the old one you traded in?

3 hours ago, EastHorn said:

How much for the old one you traded in?

21k.  Not nearly enough, but I didn't want to mess with all the idiots who would want to test drive it if I sold it myself.  Got 2 other offers from CarMax and Carvana.  They were all within a few hundred of each other.

^furk.  I'm expecting to get twice that figure for my 2018, but the realization sets in that it will take a lot longer and must be done private party.

Also *ouch* with your state's use tax/registration scheme, based on MSRP.  I'm gonna have to get used to that.

2 hours ago, Gravy Train said:

^furk.  I'm expecting to get twice that figure for my 2018, but the realization sets in that it will take a lot longer and must be done private party.

Also *ouch* with your state's use tax/registration scheme, based on MSRP.  I'm gonna have to get used to that.

You get a credit on taxes for a trade in but not if you sell privately.  Registration is expensive, though.

Mine was a 2016 with 67k miles and was in really good shape. No door dings, but some curb rash on a couple of the rims.

I debated putting it on BaT, but just wanted to be done.  

6 minutes ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

Man this conversation hits close to home.   Wife had a 2018 Q5 with 55K miles on it and just traded it in last week for a 2024 Q5 S Line.  I got 20K for her old car which is probably low but wanted to get rid of it.  Paid $47K in 2018.  

Yeah, I paid $60k in 2017.  But it was a fun 7 years.  The new one is gonna hurt a lot more when it comes to depreciation.

20 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

Yeah, I paid $60k in 2017.  But it was a fun 7 years.  The new one is gonna hurt a lot more when it comes to depreciation.

Part of the deal like said above of owning a BMW, Benz or Audi.  The new car had a sticker of $60K and I got it for $48K so hopefully that helps some of the depreciation.

• Hook 'Em 1

Sad day. Wife made it 3 fucking drivesways away from the house and another lady coming from the opposite direction just turned left across and into her. Luckily the Airbags did not go off. May be in the market for a new car.

415bb9a7d87240c0f060279b30292df5.jpg

• Rage+1 6

12 hours ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Lexus GX 550 is sexy. 

Looks like they finally updated a G Wagon when seen in person. 

53951066574_48bcc65f35_b.jpg

I’ve seen a couple in the wild and can’t decide if I like it or hate it. 

I’ve seen a couple in the wild and can’t decide if I like it or hate it. 

I like them. So much better than the last version which was un changed for like 20 years.

I like Lexus. The way they are built and the smoothness of their ride. But got damn they need to modernize their designs. This is a good step in that direction imo.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, tbone_ said:

I like Lexus. The way they are built and the smoothness of their ride. But got damn they need to modernize their designs. This is a good step in that direction imo.

They finally did, by hybridizing all-the-things, dropping the V8, and issuing a new 3.4L twin-turbo V6 that spun its main bearings, eventually recalling 102,000 affected Lexus and Toyota vehicles.

Somehow, the Tacoma and Land Cruiser are worse, with a hybrid 2.4L 4-cyl and failing transmissions.  None of these vehicles will last to the benchmarks set by their previous generations.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Rage+1 1