The New Car Fanatic Thread

Assman

1 hour ago, Gravy Train said:

They finally did, by hybridizing all-the-things, dropping the V8, and issuing a new 3.4L twin-turbo V6 that spun its main bearings, eventually recalling 102,000 affected Lexus and Toyota vehicles.

Somehow, the Tacoma and Land Cruiser are worse, with a hybrid 2.4L 4-cyl and failing transmissions.  None of these vehicles will last to the benchmarks set by their previous generations.

Counter point...  you could buy a new motor with the fuel savings. My Tundra gets 12mpg  city/highway towing a boat or empty it doesn't matter.  I don't do a lot of miles, but it's still annoying.  I would also trust Toyota to get latter gens to a much higher level of reliability.   

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Goofyboy said:

I only get 15.5mpg with the new Tundra hybrid - ALL city driving. That said, I love it.

Oh yeah?  What's your turning radius?  Does it eat front tires?  

I love mine too, but it does have some rough spots.

Turning radius on my Sierra is approximately 250 yards. Maybe slightly better than an 18 wheeler.
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

21 hours ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Lexus GX 550 is sexy. 

Looks like they finally updated a G Wagon when seen in person. 

53951066574_48bcc65f35_b.jpg

I liked that tan one in all the press pics, but the other trims and in person have been a huge disappointment.  That motor failure disaster is also horrible.  We had a last gen GX and it was entirely flawless if slightly antiquated.  I don’t want to live in a world where Lexus vehicles are blowing motors under warranty.  

Edited by USCATX

48 minutes ago, USCATX said:

if slightly antiquated

One way to put it 

49 minutes ago, USCATX said:

I don’t want to live in a world where Lexus vehicles are blowing motors under warranty.  

Their reputation was built off the “slightly antiquated” ie:reliable tech.  Shit happens when you step out of that safety net, apparently. 

• Hook 'Em 1

No clue on the front tires, as I’ve only put 2k on the truck. Turning radius is the same as my last Tundra - just without the tires rubbing.

20 hours ago, Gravy Train said:

They finally did, by hybridizing all-the-things, dropping the V8, and issuing a new 3.4L twin-turbo V6 that spun its main bearings, eventually recalling 102,000 affected Lexus and Toyota vehicles.

Somehow, the Tacoma and Land Cruiser are worse, with a hybrid 2.4L 4-cyl and failing transmissions.  None of these vehicles will last to the benchmarks set by their previous generations.

That sucks, but the new Land Cruiser looks fantastic. It's the first one that has looked like a Land Cruiser in almost 30 years

• Hook 'Em 2

My friend just got his new Tesla Model 3. We've both been talking about them for years, he finally decided to pull the trigger. I was excited to check it out and see if I liked it enough to get one. What a bust. The footrest is huge and is way too close to the brake pedal, I have no room for my fucking feet. My legs are too long, I can't fully extend them at all. Fuck that shit.

13 minutes ago, Sandman said:

My friend just got his new Tesla Model 3. We've both been talking about them for years, he finally decided to pull the trigger. I was excited to check it out and see if I liked it enough to get one. What a bust. The footrest is huge and is way too close to the brake pedal, I have no room for my fucking feet. My legs are too long, I can't fully extend them at all. Fuck that shit.

They are electric Corollas

• Like 1

19 hours ago, G650 said:

That sucks, but the new Land Cruiser looks fantastic. It's the first one that has looked like a Land Cruiser in almost 30 years

On a semi related note, I see that RR has tarted up the Defender significantly.  That seems like a shame.

2 hours ago, Okie State said:

I just want the previous gen V8. I don't give a shit about saving a few mpg at the expense of reliability.

if they'd spent 20% of what they spent developing a new engine making the iForce V8 more efficient, it would have been better for everyone. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

My 2017 Tundra is the best vehicle I've ever owned and I plan to keep it a long, long time. If it got totaled today, I'd probably replace it with the newest 200 series LC I could find or the lowest mileage V8 Tundra.

Same here, man. Same here.

9 hours ago, Chewbacca said:
On 8/29/2024 at 5:46 AM, Okie State said:
I just want the previous gen V8. I don't give a shit about saving a few mpg at the expense of reliability.

Buy a 200.

I'll definitely consider it. I also like the previous gen GX even though it's outdated. I go back and forth on selling my SS or keeping it until the wheels fall off.

• Hook 'Em 1

Damn damn damn.  I figured the S6 would be more fun being lower to the ground and lighter weight.  Are you going to run a set of winter tires later in the year?
I'm 100% going to winter tires because I'm moving full time to the mountains in a month. In Denver if you throw on some Conti DWS or similar you are good for 99% of bad weather as long as you drive slow when it's bad out. Snow tires are definitely better, though.

SQ8 is super quiet and the sport suspension is witchcraft. Zero body lean going up and down Berthoud Pass today. You do feel the weight more than in the sedan, I'll admit that. And I'm still trying to obey the break in for another 500 miles, but I really like this vehicle.
  • Hook 'Em 2

So I've seen about three new Land Cruisers now, and I saw a First Edition in the Trail Dust color, which I guess is the new tan. May have put me over the edge, these are the best looking Toyotas in decades

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

23 minutes ago, G650 said:

So I've seen about three new Land Cruisers now, and I saw a First Edition in the Trail Dust color, which I guess is the new tan. May have put me over the edge, these are the best looking Toyotas in decades

I am trying to convince my wife she wants one. We drive cars for 10 years and replace. Her expedition is 11 years old and still hasn't hit 100k miles so she doesn't want to get another vehicle yet. If I thought I would survive the night I would just go get it and show up at home with one. I like it.

17 hours ago, G650 said:

I saw a Heritage Blue one pulling out of my neighborhood yesterday. Looked like it had a small lift or level and black aftermarket wheels/tires. I might have came a little bit. 

3 hours ago, Chewbacca said:

Fernando got his new Valkyrie recently.  It broke down and had to be towed the same day he got it.  

Sounds about right. I looked at getting a Valhalla before I got my 707 but I really couldn't bring myself to get such a single purpose car.

Looks like they got old George at the unveiling. And Daniel Craig has aged like 40 years in the past 2.

Screenshot-20240903-172952-Instagram.jpg

Screenshot-20240903-172937-Instagram.jpg

• Like 1

Did a test drive of a dodge TRX today. Close your eyes and you think you are in a corvette. Got damn they are nice and fast. Only reason I did was the local dealer was 12k off msrp, but it is still 6 figures for a dodge truck. Devil on the left shoulder angel on the right type of self argument.