The New Car Fanatic Thread

Assman

1 hour ago, Armybrat said:

2025 Ford Mustang GTD with 800+ horsepower?

https://www.autoweek.com/news/a62225269/ford-mustang-gtd-815-hp/

My Rivian R1S quad motor has 835 HP. The new gen R1T quad motors have over 1000HP. 

Crazy to think that 7000+ pound trucks/SUVs are out there that have more HP than that Mustang. To be fair, the EVs have a lower top speed, but the acceleration/torque on them is headsnappping. 

39 minutes ago, hornian said:

My Rivian R1S quad motor has 835 HP. The new gen R1T quad motors have over 1000HP. 

Crazy to think that 7000+ pound trucks/SUVs are out there that have more HP than that Mustang. To be fair, the EVs have a lower top speed, but the acceleration/torque on them is headsnappping. 

this is like cooking a steak on a grill vs in the microwave

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I had a discussion and eventual disagreement with a friend recently, and I'm curious to get the opinions of peanut gallery here. 

What is the legacy, role, reputation, place in the car scene, etc., of the Tesla Roadster?

And if you were to encounter one at your local cars and coffee, knowing nothing else, do you suspect that you would like or dislike the owner? What kind of person would you expect the owner to be? 

Edited by Prepuce of Doom
  • Haha 1

On 9/24/2024 at 8:38 PM, NYTransplant said:

The number of guys that buy $200k+ supercars and don't spend a dollar on driver training blows my mind and "grinds my gears."

"I know how to drive."

My brother and I have talked a lot about this sort of thing. My 1998 911 is a great little car. It is fun and you do have to concentrate when you are driving a bit aggressively on the back roads. My brother asked me one time how I would drive if I took the car to a track. I responded that me having that car does not make me drive like Michael Schumacher and that I’d drive, at most, 6/10s. Look at those videos of the idiots coming out of the Cars & Coffee events and how they wreck, it’s ludicrous 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Sam Lin said:

Get On The Track, getonthetrack.com

Not affiliated but a very longtime friend. He'll get you out on Harris Hill, Cota, or dirt and gravel rally depending what you want to do. Lots of instruction experience in all sorts of cars.

"we have Lando Norris at home"

image.thumb.png.0f7fe7842dab05ffd3de8ecf9ce2b207.png

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

On 10/19/2024 at 2:24 PM, CycleTex87 said:

I drove a Genesis GV80 as a rental on my Arizona vacation last month.  I will say that the self driving / lane holding ability was impressive to me. Interested to know others thought on the whole concept of self driving

I do like the Genesis vehicles. They are nice. 

I am not on board with the self-driving thing. I don’t mind the Smart Cruise, the Lane Assist, etc but, as for driving, I’m lucky enough to live where driving is still enjoyable. I enjoy driving. I think because our family vacations had us kids tossed into the back of the station wagon and Dad would drive us back down to Georgia & Alabama and road trips are just part of our family history. For me, my rule of thumb has always been, if it is east of the Mississippi I’m driving.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

55 minutes ago, PittsburghTiger said:

I do like the Genesis vehicles. They are nice. 

Me too, I think the sedans are every bit the equal to BMW with fewer headaches, in particular the G80.

the problem with Genesis is their horrible dealer network, who are mostly old school Hyundai/Kia shops and reflexively treat their customers like they are too poor to afford a Toyota and too dumb to beat the  four-square.

I walked into a Genesis dealership a couple years ago and the guy asked me what I wanted for a monthly payment before either telling me his name or giving me a chance to tell him what car I was looking at. 

Edited by Bozo_Casanova
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 10/19/2024 at 8:24 PM, CycleTex87 said:

I will say that the self driving / lane holding ability was impressive to me. Interested to know others thought on the whole concept of self driving. 

I don't see the point for the intermediate drive assists, until it's fully and truly tested.

-in curvy roads and busy traffic i prefer the control of driving myself

-in steady highway cruising it takes no effort to drive myself

-with most lane-keeping implementation from rentals its really shoddy and tends to ping-pong

-with the most advanced implementation, the fact that theres a 1% edge case (or whatever) where you need to takeover keeps you on alert anyway.

for me its really nice in slow traffic jams, where the risk is low and you have plenty of time to react, its nice to let the car do the crawling-and-steering.

The Hyundai/Genesis system requires steering wheel input every so often.  Of course you have to pay attention and stay engaged in the driving.  I found that you keep a hand on the wheel, and generally the vehicle maintains its position in the lane without any input.  On long steady highway is where it's the best, very little input required, way more relaxing to drive that way.  An order of magnitude better than the lane holding ability of my '21 Audi.

when the freeway barely changes direction its fine, i 100% trust it to keep in lane.  when the freeway starts to curve i get unsettled at whether it will maintain lane, or -- for whatever reason -- suddenly cut out.  or what if it doesnt turn with the right curvature relative to the cars in neighboring lane?

theres a concept in psychology and robotics called the uncanny valley where if a robot looks close to being lifelike, but not quite enough, its way creepier than if it was cartoonish and you knew for a fact its fake. my psychology towards the driving tech is the same way. i hate the tense feeling of having to hover over and baby it. 

I am wholly and unequivocally uninterested in any and all of it. I don't even like cruise control, and have probably used it for less than 20 total miles in over three decades of driving. 

I used to be this way. Bad cruise control is bad…..but good cruise control is amazing.

I detest the “lane assist” or whatever it is called on my little 2024 Civic turbo. 
Can’t stand the way it grabs at the steering wheel if I get near the edges of the lane while driving in little or no traffic. 
Is there a way to turn it off so I can go ahead and run off the road as God intended?

I have Blue Cruise on the f150.  It does ok on the interstate if the road is fairly straight.  It takes the apex of a curve differently than I do.  It passes cars/big rigs too close in my opinion.  No traffic on I 25 last week in Colorado and it did pretty well for a couple hundred miles.