The New Car Fanatic Thread

Assman

6 hours ago, Atxracer said:

Lambos are worth cheating on. They kinda suck and are meant for 25 y/o YouTubers.  The SF90 is a bad mofo though.  

starting my singer build tomorrow at noon. Feel free to DM me any helpful tips you might have. 

Fuck I was supposed to do this years ago and posted the configurator on shaggy.  It’s honestly overwhelming.  But definitely on the bucket list…keep us updated.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Atxracer said:

Not much to share until Q1 of 25 when they will pick the donor car.  Lots of decisions to be made but first is Targa or coupe.  I don’t want a convertible and leaning toward a Targa. 

very important question: what color ??

6 hours ago, Sam Lin said:

You should start a thread on the entire Singer experience. Document the whole process exhaustively. I will subscribe.

i would also kindly request someone start a thread documenting how to commit PPP fraud, just in case the next pandemic hits

18 hours ago, Sam Lin said:

You should start a thread on the entire Singer experience. Document the whole process exhaustively. I will subscribe.

Sounds like a good idea.  When we get to the stage of having something substantive to add, will do that.  

12 hours ago, 52-80 said:

very important question: what color ??

That’s gonna be one of the harder decisions.  Fairly certain it will be some form of white, blue or black. I have traditionally gone black but I have an F8 that is Abu Dhabi blue with gold wheels and it’s probably the best looking combination I have ever seen.  At least to me. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Would just like to add that an inside look at the Singer experience would be well received.  If I ever win the lottery, my first phone call would be to them to put down a deposit.  I have this pic saved on my phone.  This is basically what I would do.

IMG_0055.thumb.jpeg.2728688201eeaf3043ff8e354401f5b8.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

15 hours ago, Atxracer said:

Sounds like a good idea.  When we get to the stage of having something substantive to add, will do that.  

That’s gonna be one of the harder decisions.  Fairly certain it will be some form of white, blue or black. I have traditionally gone black but I have an F8 that is Abu Dhabi blue with gold wheels and it’s probably the best looking combination I have ever seen.  At least to me. 

You could always crowdsource your decisions here! 

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Anton Chigurh said:

I don’t know how you guys like Targas better than coupes!

Without the C pillars and quarter windows, the classic fastback look is gone and that ruins it for me.

I don't disagree, but the man said he wanted a Targa! 

4 hours ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Color might be the toughest decision of the build. 

image.thumb.jpeg.22cb08d62475ca7b38fbb06174809fb4.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.33a7ae03332512699c47f48a78faa429.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.9c91befdfdc5af06267c2c4e8b32a4d6.jpeg

I've posed this question to car friends of mine - Can anyone show me a bad color for a 911? I don't know if their marketing altered my brain as a child, but I've literally seen 911's in baby shit brown, and thought, "That's a great looking car." Something about the proportions of the car just make it beautiful in every and any color.

And I'd also love to see a Singer build thread.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, NYTransplant said:

I've posed this question to car friends of mine - Can anyone show me a bad color for a 911? I don't know if their marketing altered my brain as a child, but I've literally seen 911's in baby shit brown, and thought, "That's a great looking car." Something about the proportions of the car just make it beautiful in every and any color.

Was going to say you never saw Janice Joplins but after searching for pictures - it's a 356.  Obviously you meant factory color not her psychedelic paint job. On the other hand it sold for a armored car full of money.

On 6/17/2024 at 9:41 PM, ChiTownDoc said:

Finally cheating on Lambo.  Maybe I am getting old.  SF90 on order but may grab one before next Miami season and give my spot up.  Does NOT feel/drive like a hybrid.  

Similar build:

IMG_6191.jpeg

Not trying to throw shade, but I've had friends with SF90's that have sold them pretty quickly. They dropped pretty hard on the used market as well. I know it's their "entry level" car, but the 296 seems to be a much better car for the somewhat longer term.

18 minutes ago, NYTransplant said:

Kermit's Ballsack green

maxresdefault.jpg

• Drool 1

7 hours ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Color might be the toughest decision of the build. 

image.thumb.jpeg.22cb08d62475ca7b38fbb06174809fb4.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.33a7ae03332512699c47f48a78faa429.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.9c91befdfdc5af06267c2c4e8b32a4d6.jpeg

All these are dead sexy.  But, the martini inspired one is next level.  Not sold on the targa but that’s what I would pic if I had to pic right now.  

It apparently doesn’t have to have a tail but I like them so it will have one.  

2 hours ago, NYTransplant said:

Not trying to throw shade, but I've had friends with SF90's that have sold them pretty quickly. They dropped pretty hard on the used market as well. I know it's their "entry level" car, but the 296 seems to be a much better car for the somewhat longer term.

That was more of a lambo comment than anything.  Just not a fan of them.  I still like the F8 better than the 296 and SF90.  To me, it just has better lines.  Then again, I probably like the 458 better than the F8.  

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, NYTransplant said:

Saw one a few weeks ago that started purple at the bottom and faded to pink up top.  No pics because traffic was crazy and I was by myself.  I assume it was wrapped.  It was ugly. That is the end of the list of ugly 911s.    Next door neighbor growing up had a late 70’s/early 80’s 911 in some shade of brown and it looked good.

4 hours ago, NYTransplant said:

69_92101F7CFAF282B538645CEFE9050611.jpg

..which the last time a similar standard color was offered was on the 997, Macadamia Metallic:

image.thumb.png.79839379b9cb83bb79f2c9047d3d9f79.png

As far as a "bad" color for a 911, I have to say Chalk.  2014 is a full decade behind us and it's a standard color on the Cayenne, so why open up the PTS on this when the bodywork is meant to show color?!

image.thumb.png.ddf11a7890aa737fb4618eede9f26151.png

From "bad" to BADASS:

Auratium with Neodyme wheels:

image.thumb.png.937fe14968147ad49e5315ab6a4d80c7.png

...and in Fjord Green:

image.thumb.png.03580ecded1ae7e063179ea599a569cf.png

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

911, pizza, sex. Few things in life that even if they are off their game a little, it’s still good.

Singer, I’m in!
  • Hook 'Em 2

4 hours ago, Atxracer said:

That was more of a lambo comment than anything.  Just not a fan of them.  I still like the F8 better than the 296 and SF90.  To me, it just has better lines.  Then again, I probably like the 458 better than the F8.  

Agree completely with your Ferrari rankings.

The only modern Lambo that I think is worth owning is the Huracan Performante. I feel like they did a fantastic job with that car in general, and the Performante was the best version of it.

If you don't like the Miura or the Countach (older the better), then we can't be friends. I think those deserve a slot just for visual appeal.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, conVINCEd said:

Gun to my head and I had to choose today, I’m going slate gray.  Given some time to think about it, the exotic colors would occupy some mind space.  Bahama yellow  would be first up.

IMG_0068.thumb.jpeg.97b2158026af347bd86bf663c45f2925.jpeg

Yellow is the best color for sports cars. Even for Ferraris over their racing red. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 6/20/2024 at 3:46 PM, NYTransplant said:

I think driving them both the SF90 feels amazing.  And I’m used to the big Lambos which are belligerent ha.  To each their own.  I don’t keep things long anyway - the drop on some of them does have me thinking grab something now vs waiting and doing my own build.  

• Hook 'Em 1

Anyone have any experience with Audi SQ8 or RSQ8?  Roads in the mountains are too terrible for an RS6 and I need something with more sidewall.  I'm tired of blowing out tires on potholes (done it twice in the past couple of years).  Supposedly a 21" rim is the smallest you can put on the RS6 and that's just asking for trouble where I drive.

But the SQ8 still has the 4.0L TT V8 that the RSQ8 has (the S6 and S7 got demoted to the Porsche 2.9L TT V6).  Thinking SQ8 might be my happy place between performance and keeping the car on the road without damage.

LOL, you and I are car-twins.  I'm going RS Q8 from the S6, mostly for the options available on it:  Carbon Ceramic brakes, Executive, B&O 3D, Cognac leather interior.

The SQ8 will fit the bill as well- it's the same Porsche 4.0 V8 with the same tuning potential (668 HP / 768ft-# on 91 pump) as the RS Q8.

Build options matter a lot to me on the 4M platform:  You'll need the Executive package for full dual-pane windows, soft-close doors, and microsuede headliner.  The B&O 3D audio was a $5K option and sounds similar to what we have in our S6.  Try your best to find one with the S-Sport package, which gets you the sport rear differential and 48V mild-hybrid rear sway bar-- it's connected to actuators on each side that adds torque to the sway bar, opposite your turn angle, to reduce body roll.  That's standard on the RS Q8.

Another thing to note on the 4M platform is a notorious issue of a failed 48V generator- it's most prevalent on 2020-2022 model years, popping up after 20K miles or so.  It's an expensive repair out of warranty but I imagine AoA will soon issue a bulletin extending the warranty of the alternator and mild hybrid system.

I'm particular over the scarce few colors that truly look good on the Q8 body (to me): I only find appeal on Navarra Blue, Waitomo Blue, Java Green, and to be a basic bitch, Daytona Gray.  SQ8 interior colors are limited to Rock Gray, Arras Red, and Black.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, Gravy Train said:

LOL, you and I are car-twins.  I'm going RS Q8 from the S6, mostly for the options available on it:  Carbon Ceramic brakes, Executive, B&O 3D, Cognac leather interior.

The SQ8 will fit the bill as well- it's the same Porsche 4.0 V8 with the same tuning potential (668 HP / 768ft-# on 91 pump) as the RS Q8.

Build options matter a lot to me on the 4M platform:  You'll need the Executive package for full dual-pane windows, soft-close doors, and microsuede headliner.  The B&O 3D audio was a $5K option and sounds similar to what we have in our S6.  Try your best to find one with the S-Sport package, which gets you the sport rear differential and 48V mild-hybrid rear sway bar-- it's connected to actuators on each side that adds torque to the sway bar, opposite your turn angle, to reduce body roll.  That's standard on the RS Q8.

Another thing to note on the 4M platform is a notorious issue of a failed 48V generator- it's most prevalent on 2020-2022 model years, popping up after 20K miles or so.  It's an expensive repair out of warranty but I imagine AoA will soon issue a bulletin extending the warranty of the alternator and mild hybrid system.

I'm particular over the scarce few colors that truly look good on the Q8 body (to me): I only find appeal on Navarra Blue, Waitomo Blue, Java Green, and to be a basic bitch, Daytona Gray.  SQ8 interior colors are limited to Rock Gray, Arras Red, and Black.

I assume RSQ8 has bigger turbos than the SQ8, similar to how they did it with the C7 S7/RS7?  Or is it just tuned differently from the factory?

I dig the Navarra Blue.  Probably look for one of those with the gray interior.  Would prefer Cognac but I think the RSQ8 is going to ride too rough for me with my shit roads.

Nope, same turbos, same bottom end, same ECU-- it's merely factory tuning, so you could roll out of the garage with a 700+HP daily on pump gas with merely a tune.

Suspension tuning is slightly different in the RSQ8, but it's on the same air dampers as the SQ8, and that all can be adjusted with a button press for the mode, just like in our S6.  Just buy a CETE module and tie it into the CANbus so you can change between modes, or air it up/down from an app on your phone.

• Hook 'Em 1