The New Car Fanatic Thread

Assman

3 minutes ago, Gravy Train said:

Nope, same turbos, same bottom end, same ECU-- it's merely factory tuning, so you could roll out of the garage with a 700+HP daily on pump gas with merely a tune.

Suspension tuning is slightly different in the RSQ8, but it's on the same air dampers as the SQ8, and that all can be adjusted with a button press for the mode, just like in our S6.  Just buy a CETE module and tie it into the CANbus so you can change between modes, or air it up/down from an app on your phone.

Hmm.  I think I found my next car.  Been fucking around for a long time trying to figure that out.

Trading hands three times with the Cayenne, the 2025 RSQ8 Performance just set the Nürburgring Nordschleife's SUV record with a lap time of 7:36.998.  In June 2021, the Porsche Cayenne Turbo GT ran it at 7:38.925.

I'm not seeing much of a spec-bump.  The Performance gets a 40HP power bump, new, lighter, 23" wheels, revised exhaust, model-specific grille, and the new 2D corporate logos, and optional matte carbon trims. 

MY 2024 was the facelift year for the 4M platform but the sheetmetal and interior were unchanged.  Only the lighting package and bumper covers were refreshed.

LOL, you and I are car-twins.  I'm going RS Q8 from the S6, mostly for the options available on it:  Carbon Ceramic brakes, Executive, B&O 3D, Cognac leather interior.
The SQ8 will fit the bill as well- it's the same Porsche 4.0 V8 with the same tuning potential (668 HP / 768ft-# on 91 pump) as the RS Q8.
Build options matter a lot to me on the 4M platform:  You'll need the Executive package for full dual-pane windows, soft-close doors, and microsuede headliner.  The B&O 3D audio was a $5K option and sounds similar to what we have in our S6.  Try your best to find one with the S-Sport package, which gets you the sport rear differential and 48V mild-hybrid rear sway bar-- it's connected to actuators on each side that adds torque to the sway bar, opposite your turn angle, to reduce body roll.  That's standard on the RS Q8.
Another thing to note on the 4M platform is a notorious issue of a failed 48V generator- it's most prevalent on 2020-2022 model years, popping up after 20K miles or so.  It's an expensive repair out of warranty but I imagine AoA will soon issue a bulletin extending the warranty of the alternator and mild hybrid system.

I'm particular over the scarce few colors that truly look good on the Q8 body (to me): I only find appeal on Navarra Blue, Waitomo Blue, Java Green, and to be a basic bitch, Daytona Gray.  SQ8 interior colors are limited to Rock Gray, Arras Red, and Black.
Found an Ascari Blue/Rotor Gray with Black Optics, Executive Package, S Sport package and Sport Resonator inbound to my local dealer. It's built and waiting for the boat. Should be here mid to late August.
  • Hook 'Em 1

Picked up a new Lexus Rx350 to replace the old one. Wow - that thing has more setting than the Apollo moon shot. I literally am stunned at the cruise control. I finally got it to work but you have to hit some secondary button that seems to be related to distance from cars in front of you for both regular and adaptive. Otherwise you get a message that says to check the manual. Yep - let me do that on the interstate at 70.

• Like 1

Picked up a new Lexus Rx350 to replace the old one. Wow - that thing has more setting than the Apollo moon shot. I literally am stunned at the cruise control. I finally got it to work but you have to hit some secondary button that seems to be related to distance from cars in front of you for both regular and adaptive. Otherwise you get a message that says to check the manual. Yep - let me do that on the interstate at 70.

It’s the new Toyota cruise control. I have the same set up on the Tundra. That plus the lane detection and you basically have self driving. It’s nice on longer trips.

1 hour ago, Sam Lin said:

Reliability. It is still the best quality reputation in the industry, proven with about 20yrs of data now.

I'm highly suspect that reputation will carry forward for the next two decades, now that they've finally updated a number of platforms and powertrains.  Granted, that 2.4 turbo goes into a ton of Toyota models as well, things aren't looking so hot for the bigger Tundra and LX models.  The Tacoma that fragged its front diff on TFL's first trail test was a fun watch, but now the '24 transmissions are failing and that issue might trickle into the first production of 4Runners.

The '90s are NOT alive and well.

Edited by Gravy Train

I'm highly suspect that reputation will carry forward for the next two decades, now that they've finally updated a number of platforms and powertrains.  Granted, that 2.4 turbo goes into a ton of Toyota models as well, things aren't looking so hot for the bigger Tundra and LX models.  The Tacoma that fragged its front diff on TFL's first trail test was a fun watch, but now the '24 transmissions are failing and that issue might trickle into the first production of 4Runners.

The '90s are NOT alive and well.
I know they don't make 200s anymore, but my 2021 Landcruiser is the best vehicle I've ever owned. 46k miles and just oil and tires. Has never been to the dealership and never will at this point.

On 6/20/2024 at 3:46 PM, NYTransplant said:

Not trying to throw shade, but I've had friends with SF90's that have sold them pretty quickly. They dropped pretty hard on the used market as well. I know it's their "entry level" car, but the 296 seems to be a much better car for the somewhat longer term.

I’d sell mine the second someone confused it for a Corvette too.

• Haha 1

I don’t care what anyone chooses to buy or their rationale for doing so, but an Audi fan shitting on Toyota reliability? You know what also isn’t alive and well? Any ‘90s Audi. 
As someone on both sides of that fence, Audi reliability is much improved from where it was in the early 2000s. That said, Toyota is #1 in reliability for a reason.

2 hours ago, topochico said:

I don’t care what anyone chooses to buy or their rationale for doing so, but an Audi fan shitting on Toyota reliability? You know what also isn’t alive and well? Any ‘90s Audi. 

One of those automakers dramatically improved their reliability through the 2000s while integrating modern technologies across multiple portfolios, ranging from ultra-luxury to ultra-performance (among the most reliable enthusiast and collector-owned brand in the industry)....

...the other continued to stuff a 16-year old 1GR-FE powerplant in their most popular SUV and retained the same U34x 4-speed auto in their two highest-volume selling compact and subcompact classes, from MY 2000-2019.

I'll take note when we rename this place "The Whirlpool-appliance-car Thread."

11 hours ago, Gravy Train said:

The RX that looks like Toucan Sam from the front and a 2.4L turbo-4 underneath its beak? 

I have no fucking clue why people buy Toyota or Lexus anymore. 

I think the car themselves have evolved to catch up with the spindle grill. It looked ungainly a decade ago...now it fits in well.

IMO many people knowingly buy Toyota/Lexus despite that brand being behind in tech, with implicit understanding that it means higher reliability. E.g., 4Runner being an old body-on-frame design is not a negative

• Like 1