Denver

milkman

17 minutes ago, mdmost said:

mdleast and I are headed to Denver in mid-August to watch some baseball. We plan to rent a car to tool around the Rocky Mountains NP and Boulder. What's the best place to stay to be in the middle of things? We don't have to stay downtown since we'll have a car. Will definitely pour through the thread for food and beer places. I've been there briefly and went to Epic Brewing before jumping on a bus to Red Rocks. 

I just went to RMNP two weeks ago.  You'll want to get a car pass.  One tip is that 40% of the tickets are held back for release at 7pm the night before.  I was able to easily get a pass for my arrival window with zero issues the night before.  I recommend getting the pass with the Bear Lake Road add-on.  If you go to the end of the road, there's a big parking lot and some pretty easy but enjoyable hikes...one goes by 3 lakes and then the loop around Bear Lake.  There was still a lot of snow and ice on the ground two weeks ago but I'd bet it's gone now.  I had brought my hiking boots without GoreTex so my feet wouldn't get hot but it would've been better wearing them since I had to pick my path to avoid getting my boots wet.  If you backtrack down the road, there the Glacier Gorge Trail and Alberta Falls.  You can fill up the day with those trails.   Back in Estes Park, there's a run down burger joint called something like Burgers-Gyros.  It was a damn fine burger.

If I was mostly staying in Denver, I'd just stay downtown and have that extra 45 minutes drive to RMNP.

• Hook 'Em 1

mdleast and I are headed to Denver in mid-August to watch some baseball. We plan to rent a car to tool around the Rocky Mountains NP and Boulder. What's the best place to stay to be in the middle of things? We don't have to stay downtown since we'll have a car. Will definitely pour through the thread for food and beer places. I've been there briefly and went to Epic Brewing before jumping on a bus to Red Rocks. 
Depends on where you want to be. Can't go wrong with Boulder or Golden. I would pick Boulder, personally, but it's a little farther from Coors Field.
  • Hook 'Em 1

21 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:
10 hours ago, mdmost said:

Depends on where you want to be. Can't go wrong with Boulder or Golden. I would pick Boulder, personally, but it's a little farther from Coors Field.

Not that much farther, plus you can take the light rail into Coors Field.  Personally, I would still choose Boulder

• Hook 'Em 1

9 hours ago, Chewbacca said:
19 hours ago, mdmost said:

So we're there for 2 full days, 2 travel days. We arrive on Thursday late afternoon and leave late afternoon on Sunday. Friday will be heading to RMNP. Saturday is exploring downtown and the baseball at night. Sunday we figure we'd look around Boulder before heading to the airport. I'll take a look at Boulder and Golden. We obviously want to hit RMNP as soon as our reservation allows. I'm aiming to get a 9am entry. It opens up for our day on Monday morning. 

• Like 1

For you beer nerd types such as I, any recs for breweries in the area (let's say generally in the Denver/Boulder/metro area) to check out? It's kind of a choice overload as I look at the options.  When looking at out of town places, I am always looking for (i) primarily, the best local beers we can't get back here in Texas and (ii) maybe secondarily, breweries we get distributed here in Texas but have a great brewery/taproom that's worth the visit.  TIA

Edited by mdleast

4 minutes ago, mdleast said:

For you beer nerd types such as I, any recs for breweries in the area (let's say generally in the Denver/Boulder/metro area) to check out? It's kind of a choice overload as I look at the options.  When looking at out of town places, I am always looking for (i) primarily, the best local beers we can't get back here in Texas and (ii) maybe secondarily, breweries we get distributed here in Texas but have a great brewery/taproom that's worth the visit.  TIA

My go to breweries are:

Bruz: Love Belgian beers and theirs are solid.

Avery: Big fan of their barrel aged beers. Restaurant is really good too with cajun and southern food. I usually get the gumbo.

New Terrain: The Mirage mosaic/sour is one of my favorite beers.

Bull and Bush: British style pub that brews their own beer. The food is really good here and if you are into whiskey, their selection is one of the best in Denver.

Trve Brewing: Heavy metal themed brewery. A little heavy on IPAs on their menu, but I always find something I like.

Denver Beer Company: A few different locations around the metro area. Juicy Freak and Princess Yum Yum are great summer beers.

There are a few others I usually hit a couple of times a year, but these are my top ones.

• Hook 'Em 2

Tap Fourteen has a badass selection of taps and they are all local brews. If you want to taste a lot and never have to leave your seat go see them.

As for the imbecile that said he couldn’t find anything to eat or drink Denver, consider the fucking source. I’m in Denver for work 6-8 times a year for the last 9 years and I have yet to have a bad time. Stay at the Rally. Don’t eat from the taco truck on Blake St.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

On 6/28/2024 at 12:59 PM, CooterBrown said:

I just went to RMNP two weeks ago.  You'll want to get a car pass.  One tip is that 40% of the tickets are held back for release at 7pm the night before.  I was able to easily get a pass for my arrival window with zero issues the night before.  I recommend getting the pass with the Bear Lake Road add-on.  If you go to the end of the road, there's a big parking lot and some pretty easy but enjoyable hikes...one goes by 3 lakes and then the loop around Bear Lake.  There was still a lot of snow and ice on the ground two weeks ago but I'd bet it's gone now.  I had brought my hiking boots without GoreTex so my feet wouldn't get hot but it would've been better wearing them since I had to pick my path to avoid getting my boots wet.  If you backtrack down the road, there the Glacier Gorge Trail and Alberta Falls.  You can fill up the day with those trails.   Back in Estes Park, there's a run down burger joint called something like Burgers-Gyros.  It was a damn fine burger.

If I was mostly staying in Denver, I'd just stay downtown and have that extra 45 minutes drive to RMNP.

Thanks. Got our timed entry+ this morning for the day we're heading to RMNP. Excited to get back. I haven't been there since I was in junior high. 

9 hours ago, Texzilla588 said:

Lots of great food in Denver. At all costs avoid BeauJo’s Pizza. It’s horrible from a regional chain that some locals love. Imagine an 8 pound doughy pizza covered in honey. No thanks.

FYI. You can have your pizza there made with thin crust, saving you about 7 of the 8 pounds. Plus, the honey is for the left-over crust. The pizza is decent, but the atmosphere, especially the one in Idaho Springs is fun.

Edited by fwtxbevo