So I got a WSM...

thunderlounge

On 5/22/2024 at 10:03 AM, stc said:

have made zero mods to mine and it still works fine after 15 years. you can buy all the fancy shit you want but it doesn't require a goddamn computer to cook bbq.  

Yeah, I don’t anticipate make changes anytime soon. I’m comfortable working with it as is. I’ve cooked during wintertime and blocked the wind with a trash can and other barriers. I think I can mostly get by just cooking when the weather suits.

Speaking of weather, today’s forecast was for rain. It was supposed to rain. So I figured I’d wait til tomorrow to fire up my new WSM. But instead today turned out to be a nice day, mostly sunny with temps in the 70’s. It has been a little windy. Hopefully it stays nice tomorrow because that’s when I plan to smoke some ribs.

I put the thing together today. Super easy. I’ve got my thermometer, I’ve got my ribs, Ive got sausages (there’s always room for sausage), I’ve got some beer and a nice cigar. I’m ready and rarin’ to go.

• Hook 'Em 2

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, TexasHooch said:

Apologies in advance because I'm sure it's been addressed at various places throughout this thread, but what size packer can I reasonably fit inside a 18.5?

You won't.

someone will be along shortly to advise if you bend here and angle the point at 40 degrees to the declination of the ..... it will fit.

4 hours ago, TexasHooch said:

Apologies in advance because I'm sure it's been addressed at various places throughout this thread, but what size packer can I reasonably fit inside a 18.5?

in my experience anything over 14lbs is a tight squeeze. they shrink as they cook though so as long as you get it in there it's going to shrink to a manageable size. 

• Hook 'Em 2

13 hours ago, Sam Lin said:

Wrap a brick or even an empty beer can in foil and drape the brisket over it if it doesn't fit flat.

it works best if you empty the can yourself before you put the brisket on.   And empty several more during the cook.

• Hook 'Em 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

From the files of I could fuck up Christmas: I grabbed a brisket yesterday to smoke overnight and take to a gathering at a friend's house this evening.  I put the brisket on at about 10:30 p.m., set the BBQ Guru for 265F, and went to bed.  Naturally, I forgot to shut down the other two vents I had open to get it up to temp.  My probe alarm went off at 4:30 a.m. telling me the meat was at 180.  I ran out to the WSM, realized my mistake when I saw the pit temp sitting at 305F.  I wrapped the brisket with hot tallow drizzled all over it, and set the controller to 250F. Alarm went off again at 6:30 a.m.  Internal was at 203, and it probed perfect.  So I took it off and let it rest for a couple of hours.  I put it in the oven on low/warm (145F) for a couple of hours, then moved it to a cooler while I cooked sausage.  I've never cooked a brisket in 8 hours before.  Bark wasn't superb, but it wasn't bad either.  I assume it will be delicious, but I feel like such a dumb ass.

Edited by dcbc

4 hours ago, TexasHooch said:
Hot and Fast method.  Many, many people do exactly what you did- just on purpose.  It'll be great.

It was super good.  Can't remember making a better one.  Not sure what that white shitz in in the picture.  Wasn't something that interfered with anything.

141670c9adabda7898d990cca50c9bf9.jpg

Edited by dcbc
  • Hook 'Em 3

18 minutes ago, dcbc said:

It was super good.  Can't remember making a better one.

Brother you missed an entire era on shaggy...

At any rate did it turn out as good with the juicy flat as your usual product? I didn't tallow back in those days but I didn't have flats that looked like yours and sometimes I ponder whether it was the high heat. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Baboontyme said:

Brother you missed an entire era on shaggy...

At any rate did it turn out as good with the juicy flat as your usual product? I didn't tallow back in those days but I didn't have flats that looked like yours and sometimes I ponder whether it was the high heat. 

I caught some of it, but in the end, I was really surprised that the flat and point were the exact same temps.  The flat was better than when I've done it the same way at a low temp.  It was a pretty decent choice brisket.  So a little high heat probably helped it.  The tallow didn't hurt.

• 2 weeks later...

Forgot we had this thread here, so.. speaking of hot and fast on the WSM: did some hot and fast babies a few weeks ago. Went old school with a sop (as evidenced by the onions on the grate). Ribs had a good bite, and I enjoyed the old school charcoal and sop flavor. Could have been a bit saltier. 

1.5hrs total cook time, I believe. 

ribs1.thumb.jpg.70235270d71ab842ce52f272a9948071.jpg

Edited by UncleBuck
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Drool 1

I'm Doing some spares on the WSM today.  I'm using some seasoned red oak from all the tree-branch destruction we had from storms in May.  The smaller bits are nicely seasoned at about 18% water content.  Got some good color at 2.5 hours in.

906aa9686e8d7bacfd5d76e8a40f8eb4.jpg

• Hook 'Em 2

How do you season the wood? I'm sure I could Google but I don't want to. 

Air, keep dry, time. 

Cut it, split it, stack it, and wait.  Larger pieces might take a year.  The little pieces dry out in this heat pretty quickly.

ce2f1aa44906b9d80dbb15e22a7d79a8.jpg