2020 Presidential Election -- Biden v Trump: Sleepy Joe vs Dopey Don [Results begin on page 409]

Patrick Bateman

1 hour ago, Gil Bang said:

Yep, the "independent"'/third party vote in 2016 was enormous.  I guess it's a pretty unpredictable demographic, but I don't think it's THAT unpredictable.

This is clearly no longer the Hobson's choice that was 2016.

Edited by TwiceHorn

1 hour ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

This was noted in the article attached to Fox News' latest poll (including hilarious headline of "Biden's lead narrows to 8 points"). Anyway, they showed Biden (+11) and Trump (-11) as the yin and yang of favorability.

What few undecideds are left tend to break to the more favorable candidate. File this under "no fucking shit."

1 hour ago, Hiphopopotamos said:
"If you took out the word Florida, and just gave us the polls, you'd say this is a near lock. It is merely that fucking name that scares people. Stop. Calm the fuck down."

Yes, but you can't just do that.  Florida is a fucking shit show.  Always has been, always will be.  There's a reason the bugs bunny gif is used so often.  Florida can get fucked.  Forever.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, tantric superman said:

You might  be downplaying the way the Republicans have made this into an issue of the vile nature of liberal college education.  In other words, it's not so much people being anti college education or striving for a college education.  It's that liberal colleges teach students to directly assault the values of the rural and the uneducated.   Dems have not only done a terrible job of trying to counteract this argument, but they have embraced the fact that the liberal educated have a duty to stand against the values represented by the blue collar worker.

The divide will exist as long as the universities are politicized.

There's a whole lore more to it than that.   The Dems have certainly fucked up their messaging in the modern era, but the Republicans have also catered to certain audiences, and they have reinforced/cultivated certain cultural viewpoints or attitudes, to the detriment of their followers.  It's ironic, because the Dems ran Texas and Oklahoma and other parts of the South for many decades, by appealing to the blue-collar/rural folks.  Rick Perry, Phil Gramm, and others that switched to the GOP later on, they didn't build their power bases while they were Democrats out of the big cities, but instead built their power bases out of the rural areas.

Remember when George W. Bush ran against Kent Hance back in the late 70s out in West Texas?  Hance, the Democrat (at the time, he would later switch in the 80s), had the good ole boy image and was able to portray Bush as a fast-talking city slicker from back East, educated at an Ivy League school, while Hance was educated at Texas Tech and UT - 

https://archive.nytimes.com/www.nytimes.com/library/politics/camp/072700wh-bush-lubbock.html

Fast-forward to the '94, Bush was still a fast-talking guy who would toss out all kinds of facts and figures

And then jump to 2000, and all of the sudden, there is a dramatic shift, and he's a good ole boy, talking slower than he used to, acting folksy , etc.

There's a lot going on, and the GOP is damned lucky that the Dems have lost their way when it comes to appealing to the rural folks.

• Hook 'Em 1

39 minutes ago, totallynotabuttpirate said:

Does anyone have the early voting numbers for Nevada? 

Saw something earlier that Clark County is looking good for Biden; better than 2016 even. Was just (doom)scrolling while waiting on some work stuff to finish processing and don't remember where/what it was. But Nevada is super safe. I wouldn't sweat it... even in DOOM times.

23 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

There's a whole lore more to it than that.   The Dems have certainly fucked up their messaging in the modern era, but the Republicans have also catered to certain audiences, and they have reinforced/cultivated certain cultural viewpoints or attitudes, to the detriment of their followers.  It's ironic, because the Dems ran Texas and Oklahoma and other parts of the South for many decades, by appealing to the blue-collar/rural folks.  Rick Perry, Phil Gramm, and others that switched to the GOP later on, they didn't build their power bases while they were Democrats out of the big cities, but instead built their power bases out of the rural areas.

Remember when George W. Bush ran against Kent Hance back in the late 70s out in West Texas?  Hance, the Democrat (at the time, he would later switch in the 80s), had the good ole boy image and was able to portray Bush as a fast-talking city slicker from back East, educated at an Ivy League school, while Hance was educated at Texas Tech and UT - 

https://archive.nytimes.com/www.nytimes.com/library/politics/camp/072700wh-bush-lubbock.html

Fast-forward to the '94, Bush was still a fast-talking guy who would toss out all kinds of facts and figures

And then jump to 2000, and all of the sudden, there is a dramatic shift, and he's a good ole boy, talking slower than he used to, acting folksy , etc.

There's a lot going on, and the GOP is damned lucky that the Dems have lost their way when it comes to appealing to the rural folks.

Your history lesson neglects the important fact that Dems became the party of civil rights in the 1960s and 1970s. A lot of rural folk, who I grew up with in OK, didn't like that too much and switched parties. The Reagan landslide in 80 is the dividing line.

2 minutes ago, quigley said:

Your history lesson neglects the important fact that Dems became the party of civil rights in the 1960s and 1970s. A lot of rural folk, who I grew up with in OK, didn't like that too much and switched parties. The Reagan landslide in 80 is the dividing line.

This is correct.  Reagan kicked off his campaign in Philadelphia.  No, not that one.  The Mississippi one.  Wonder why?

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, henrygandorf said:

maybe let's assign one poster to each state.

I believe I can cover the dispatches from the state of despair.  I can double up on the state of panic, if need be.  If shit goes south on Tuesday, I think we'll have ample coverage of the state of disaster.

I sure would like to turn my efforts to the state of euphoria by 9:30 or so Tuesday night, so y'all Dems, get to votin'.

• Haha 3

So just to be clear, now that we’ve hit the weekend before the election, we’re just gonna roll the freaking out and negativity straight through from here to Wednesday morning, right?

Im in the heart of Trump country for the weekend with the booze and pessimism cranked up to 11. 

12 hours ago, Doc Sam Beckett said:

What a crazy year. Every election since 2016 has resulted in sick Dem gains. Biden is leading in WI, MI, and PA. He's ahead in AZ, OH, NC, and FL as well. He's a toss up in IA, TX!, and GA! The Dem senate candidates are ahead in CO, ME, AZ, NC, GA!, and IA. Senate Dem candidates have an outside shot in MT, AK, and SC. 

But it's Brisket's ledge that is picking up followers. 

That’s how cults do

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1