Check Out This Fucking Sandwich

Jack Straw

13 hours ago, Party_Taco said:

Had a hankering for some Billy’s on Burnet today…

There are few BLTs where I feel a restaurant can outdo my home efforts, but this is certainly one of them:

33f0dbf807acf2634af7c186f4d91b7c.jpg

Nice. I love their pastrami. I live only a few blocks away and don’t go there nearly enough.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

No pics but I made some pulled porkl sandwiches yesterday using an interesting recipe.

Salt and pepper 2LBS pork loin and place in the crock.

Pour a 12 OZ root beer over them and cook on low for 7 hours.

Drain and shred pork.

Add a bottle of Sweet Baby Rays Honey Hickory sauce and simmer for a bit.

Ate them on Hawaiian Buns with cole slaw.

Turned out great.

• Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, Steamboat1874 said:

No pics but I made some pulled porkl sandwiches yesterday using an interesting recipe.

Salt and pepper 2LBS pork loin and place in the crock.

Pour a 12 OZ root beer over them and cook on low for 7 hours.

Drain and shred pork.

Add a bottle of Sweet Baby Rays Honey Hickory sauce and simmer for a bit.

Ate them on Hawaiian Buns with cole slaw.

Turned out great.

Needs more sugar

• Haha 3

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
20 hours ago, Party_Taco said:

They are indeed crack… the wife has banned Southwest style in our house, so it’s honey mustard or plain from here on out, which are still very addictive

I banned myself after buying a bag at Costco and watching it disappear in about a week and a half. 

1 minute ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

MSG has a bad rap and much of it because of racism. It's fine for you. I've recently been incorporating it into more stuff and it gives an umami you don't get from salt and pepper. 

I'm not saying it's bad for you.  I don't like the taste, just like I don't like the taste of sodium citrate.  I have both in my pantry and use neither.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 8/12/2024 at 4:16 PM, Mitch Cumsteen said:

MSG has a bad rap and much of it because of racism. It's fine for you. I've recently been incorporating it into more stuff and it gives an umami you don't get from salt and pepper.

Then you’ll want to find some of this:

image.jpeg.afae1583ab9fb0353b2775c5eacbc044.jpeg

In Houston, I get it at Phoenicia Market. I use it in a lot of things.

7 minutes ago, DoobieWah said:

Yes. Just to be clear, I was replying to the person I quoted - who "doesn't" have a problem with MSG. 

Yeah sorry, for some reason I thought your response was to someone else.

But your snarky surly response is well received, keep up the fine work!

Basically did my own spin on the Mortadella Pizza Sandwich (based on Anthony Bourdain’s favorite sandwich no doubt) from the King Arthur Baking Co website. I defrosted a frozen pizza dough ball from Jimmy’s Food Store here in Dallas and thirded it. Holy hell is this good! I made two — the first was prosciutto, torn mozzarella and arugula. It was gone in a couple of mins. Decided to make a second one and used some leftover spicy soppressata and pepperoni from Jimmy’s from my last pizza night. Tossed on a little arugula (see pic). It was damn good but I liked the first one better.

Basically, it’s a cheffed-up pizza pocket or a folded pizza sandwich. The options are limitless — whatever flavors you like rolled up into a pizza bread sandwich.

5aefb00bd61c0b55adfc269c7940153c.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2
  • Drool 3

On 8/11/2024 at 2:37 PM, Party_Taco said:

They are indeed crack… the wife has banned Southwest style in our house, so it’s honey mustard or plain from here on out, which are still very addictive

IIRC the sodium level in Dot's is off the fucking charts.

BTW, it's not clear but there's a whole mozz layer underneath the soppressata and pepperoni and a few random crumbles on top of the arugula. I also added some balsamic glaze drizzle and some Mike's Hot Honey at Mrs. C-Man's request.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 8/12/2024 at 8:39 AM, Blotto said:

I banned myself after buying a bag at Costco and watching it disappear in about a week and a half. 

you ate a bag of pretzels in a week and a half.  oh my god the horror get a hold of yourself. 

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, C-Man said:

Basically did my own spin on the Mortadella Pizza Sandwich (based on Anthony Bourdain’s favorite sandwich no doubt) from the King Arthur Baking Co website. I defrosted a frozen pizza dough ball from Jimmy’s Food Store here in Dallas and thirded it. Holy hell is this good! I made two — the first was prosciutto, torn mozzarella and arugula. It was gone in a couple of mins. Decided to make a second one and used some leftover spicy soppressata and pepperoni from Jimmy’s from my last pizza night. Tossed on a little arugula (see pic). It was damn good but I liked the first one better.

Basically, it’s a cheffed-up pizza pocket or a folded pizza sandwich. The options are limitless — whatever flavors you like rolled up into a pizza bread sandwich.

I love Jimmy's.  I would have a difficult time getting out of there without just ordering a muffaletta, but your concoction looks pretty awesome. I wish like hell they had an old school Italian market like that in San Antonio.

Might just bust out a homemade muffaletta this weekend....

5 hours ago, C-Man said:

We used to have one on menu 

Pesto

Sun-dried tomatoes

Purple onion (pickled if on hand)

Bacon

Goat Cheese

Arugula 

Balsamic drizzle on top

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, ChickenSandwich said:

We used to have one on menu 

Pesto

Sun-dried tomatoes

Purple onion (pickled if on hand)

Bacon

Goat Cheese

Arugula 

Balsamic drizzle on top

That sounds awesome!

• Like 1

On 8/21/2024 at 4:16 PM, Mitch Cumsteen said:

I love Jimmy's.  I would have a difficult time getting out of there without just ordering a muffaletta, but your concoction looks pretty awesome. I wish like hell they had an old school Italian market like that in San Antonio.

Might just bust out a homemade muffaletta this weekend....

Me too. I miss it. Their sausage and pepper sandwich with mozzarella on top.

jizz in my pants GIF

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/21/2024 at 11:07 AM, C-Man said:

I find this sandwich intriguing, and would like to subscribe to your newsletter.

49 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

When I busted out that muffaletta last week, I thought I fucked up the bread so I made a second loaf.

So... what are you going to do? Muffalletta 2, Olive Salad Boogaloo:

IMG_2268.thumb.jpg.9237d2f8f687ed74a6727d1b7f012b80.jpgIMG_2267.thumb.jpg.ff3e0a3fd0db853a827ac47bb9ab8d34.jpg

I love that I can buy a loaf of Gambino's bread at Stuffed -- break out the olive salad I have from our last NOLA trip, and making a perfect muff is easy-peasy.

13 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

I find this sandwich intriguing, and would like to subscribe to your newsletter.

I love that I can buy a loaf of Gambino's bread at Stuffed -- break out the olive salad I have from our last NOLA trip, and making a perfect muff is easy-peasy.

PSA: they sell Central Grocery's olive salad at HEB. At least they do at the one in San Antonio in Lincoln Heights on the rare occasion that they are open.

• Hook 'Em 1