The all encompassing RV thread

troph

4 hours ago, Hawndoh said:

Ours doesn't have a slide, so it's always ready for action.

At least the scenery was pretty while stuck in traffic. We weren't towing at the time, though. Camper was at the campground.

We love having no slide because we have lunch on the road all the time. At devils tower we pulled up right by the prairie dog colony and had lunch while watching all the little prairie dogs run around.

I do have to pull the trailer through Yellowstone to get to Teton here in a couple hours. So we shall see how that goes. 

Our first travel day through Oklahoma and Kansas we had a strong tailwind and got close to 12 mpg.

But from Billings to Bozeman we had a 20 mph headwind and I was getting 5-6 mpg. Took a whole tank for that stretch.

I have 6 gallons of gas in a can I carry around while towing and I almost had to use it.

Gotta love that variable mileage from wind direction. I think the lowest I have gotten is 7 mpg going into a 25 mph sustained headwinds.  Most of the time I am getting about 12 if I keep the speed in the 60-65 range. I usually drive so fast without the trailer I actually feel guilty for not hauling ass.  But once I get past 70 mph everything seems more unstable and I can nearly see the fuel gauge declining.  

6 hours ago, horn4life said:

I have considered getting storage much closer to the coast, but to be honest we don't go much in the Summer unless we are meeting folks.  So my main use is dropping it in Port A in mid to late September and keeping it there the month of October.  But you are right it's a lot of work for just a long weekend! But I love being able to come and go with the favorable weather and tides.

If I could find some good covered storage out of the normal hurricane range, but making my towing only an hour or so, that may be where I end up, if my current free storage ever dries up.

the salt damage and hurricanes when it's just not convenient to go down there and get it are the two reasons to not do what we want to do, but fuck it, at least twice this spring we would have gone down there for the heck of it had it been there and I've had two fishing trips so that's 4x compared to this year 0x. and the fall is a better time to go down there imo.

Fall is definitely better but with 2 kids in high school now doing sports and marching band, the Fall schedule is just completely impossible.  Summer is rough but it's about the only time we've got together.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, utee94 said:

Fall is definitely better but with 2 kids in high school now doing sports and marching band, the Fall schedule is just completely impossible.  Summer is rough but it's about the only time we've got together.

yeah like I said the teenage years are intense in a whole different way. marching band is no joke holy shit.

• Hook 'Em 1

17 minutes ago, troph said:

yeah like I said the teenage years are intense in a whole different way. marching band is no joke holy shit.

Band ain't nothing like when I was in high school. Especially not for my kids who march for the 5 time defending state champs. :)

• Drool 1

4 hours ago, utee94 said:

Band ain't nothing like when I was in high school. Especially not for my kids who march for the 5 time defending state champs. :)

that's awesome. our band does alright, my son does really well for himself in that band and is BUSY pretty much year round.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just got back from 3 days at Splashway.   My body is broken. My liver is broken. Camper did great.  Had a tiny spot deep in the transmission wiring harness that was causing all my issues; truck was back to its old self after I got that sorted.   Concan next on the calendar, can’t wait.gif 

• Hook 'Em 3

• 2 weeks later...

Hopewell Lake area west of Tres Piedras (Nuevo Mexico) was our first real trip to the woods. Good times at about 9920 feet. 

Rain gave us a good test of having a roof over our heads. 

IMG_5461.thumb.jpeg.bc01d7b764d1110fc0184a43e8d773e7.jpegIMG_5463.thumb.jpeg.9d18c1476f3decaaa160b7ae28913262.jpeg1719191143.852834.thumb.png.dc4e765c26c0d487733926ccf9544503.pngIMG_2896.thumb.jpeg.1d962e1b5120246d3f212eab478e5b78.jpegIMG_2897.thumb.jpeg.33cc9a6f37103e7cae5aa24a94a405d6.jpegIMG_2899.thumb.jpeg.c00a05610223604af8ca8c869f4cfaba.jpegIMG_2914.thumb.jpeg.3246ce4577b7876ffc0f447bf268635f.jpegIMG_2945.thumb.jpeg.5f43eff7f8a4f7913959555663b0b1c1.jpegIMG_3040.thumb.jpeg.882a98373e194b356b883407f6360495.jpegFullSizeRender.thumb.jpeg.2068d96318f8abbb08868024412bea82.jpegFullSizeRender.thumb.jpeg.1f40ccad210434a7d2725c8718874db4.jpeg

IMG_3054.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

Spent a long weekend at the lake just getting home this evening.   Got a trailer disconnect alarm on the dash a few miles from the park on our way there.   Pulled over and took a quick look and notice one hub was about 200F Vs 110 for the other.   I guessed that the brake was hanging up and I’d limp to our site, put the trailer in the jacks and take a look sometime over the weekend.   I finally looked at it when we put the slide out in to leave.   Since you shouldn’t see part of a brake sticking out the adjust access hole I pulled the hub.

Don’t think that magnet arm and brake shoes are supposed to be shaped like that.   New brake plate and hub already on the way

Check your axles, brakes and bearings  frequently happy campers and hope those don’t explode on you rolling down the road.

6C23F205-006F-4C22-998E-95A76C9FA1EB.thumb.jpeg.3a75e5c8405d9a0f380b903e95abe0c2.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 6/24/2024 at 8:45 PM, davidg said:

Spent a long weekend at the lake just getting home this evening.   Got a trailer disconnect alarm on the dash a few miles from the park on our way there.   Pulled over and took a quick look and notice one hub was about 200F Vs 110 for the other.   I guessed that the brake was hanging up and I’d limp to our site, put the trailer in the jacks and take a look sometime over the weekend.   I finally looked at it when we put the slide out in to leave.   Since you shouldn’t see part of a brake sticking out the adjust access hole I pulled the hub.

Don’t think that magnet arm and brake shoes are supposed to be shaped like that.   New brake plate and hub already on the way

Check your axles, brakes and bearings  frequently happy campers and hope those don’t explode on you rolling down the road.

6C23F205-006F-4C22-998E-95A76C9FA1EB.thumb.jpeg.3a75e5c8405d9a0f380b903e95abe0c2.jpeg

Had some friends of friends who didn’t know better have a camper burn to the ground over a seized bearing on a trip home from Disney.  Bearing gave out and jammed up brakes, turn hubs/rims red, poof.  

• 2 weeks later...

Having the trailer parked in the driveway,  running off the generator with cool AC blowing two hours after the rain stopped,  is a great benefit to owning a RV and having it stored just a few miles away.

• Hook 'Em 4

22 minutes ago, davidg said:

Having the trailer parked in the driveway,  running off the generator with cool AC blowing two hours after the rain stopped,  is a great benefit to owning a RV and having it stored just a few miles away.

Word up.  A few months back, the water heaters in my house failed, and it took a few days to get my handyman around to replace them.  So I just pulled the RV out of storage a couple miles up the road, parked it alongside the house, and we had hot water and showers. 

• Hook 'Em 1