Donald Trump 2018

TheFlyingBoat

Wiki background on one of the worst immigrants in America 

On January 24, 2014, D'Souza was arraigned in a Manhattan federal court on charges of making $20,000 in illegal campaign contributions to the New York Senate campaign of Wendy Long, and for causing false statements to be made to the Federal Election Commission.[14][118][119][120][121]

In May 2014, D'Souza pleaded guilty to one felonycount of making illegal contributions in the names of others.[122] In September 2014, the court sentenced D'Souza to five years probation, eight months in a halfway house (referred to as a "community confinement center") and a $30,000 fine.[14][13]

D'Souza's attorney had argued his client "did not act with any corrupt or criminal intent whatsoever" and described the incident as "at most...an act of misguided friendship".[121][123] His co-producers alleged that the indictment was politically motivated retribution for the success of his 2012 movie 2016: Obama's America.[92]

D'Souza's claim of selective prosecution received support from some conservative media and commentators.[124] Aside from those, Harvard law professor Alan Dershowitz felt that the prosecution was unfair: "The idea of charging him with a felony for this doesn't sound like a proper exercise of prosecutorial discretion.... I can't help but think that [D'Souza's] politics have something to do with it.... It smacks of selective prosecution." He went on to say such alleged campaign violations are common in politics.[125] In May, United States District JudgeRichard M. Berman rejected that contention, stating, "The court concludes the defendant has respectfully submitted no evidence he was selectively prosecuted."[126]

Edited by Hugo Stiglitz

2 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

lulz indeed. it would be different, alyssa, if her entire career wasn't built on being a sex symbol, and if her every selfie wasn't a picture of her ass.

The only reason we know about her is because of a sex tape. That is her claim to fame. She fucked someone famous on video and is now meeting with the President of the United States in the Oval Office to discuss how to reform our prison system. 'Murica!

• Like 1

Hmm...wonder if someone like Jeb! or Rubio had won the GOP nomination and presidency they would have been more successful in pressuring VA Rs to resist expanding Medicaid.  Thank God for Trump!

Trump administration officials and conservative activists had tried to derail the Virginia plan. White House budget director Mick Mulvaney in March urged the state to reject Medicaid expansion, and White House health care aide Brian Blase joined phone calls with Americans for Prosperity as the Koch brothers-supported group tried to rally opposition. Former Sen. Rick Santorum, who is pushing for another Obamacare repeal vote in Congress this summer, was spotted in the Virginia Statehouse on Wednesday before the vote to brief Republicans on the status of that effort.

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/05/30/virginia-medicaid-expansion-578513

1 hour ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

DBB2C754-6CFB-4967-9EC0-676CA2644480_zps

Trump to Lester Holt:  

"And, in fact, when I decided to just do it, I said to myself, I said: 'You know, this Russia thing with Trump and Russia is a made up story, it's an excuse by the Democrats for having lost an election that they should've won,'" Trump said at the time.

Rudy Giuliani to Sean Hannity:

"He fired Comey because Comey would not — among other things — say that he wasn't a target of the investigation," Giuliani said in an interview with Fox News host Sean Hannity.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, 4th&Five said:

Because using a straw donor to make illegal campaign contributions is okay, as long as you consistently attack the President's political rivals.  (I doubt that will be the last time this comes up.)

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

D'Souza's claim of selective prosecution received support from some conservative media and commentators.[124] Aside from those, Harvard law professor Alan Dershowitz felt that the prosecution was unfair: "The idea of charging him with a felony for this doesn't sound like a proper exercise of prosecutorial discretion.... I can't help but think that [D'Souza's] politics have something to do with it.... It smacks of selective prosecution." He went on to say such alleged campaign violations are common in politics.[125] In May, United States District JudgeRichard M. Berman rejected that contention, stating, "The court concludes the defendant has respectfully submitted no evidence he was selectively prosecuted."[126]

I love this.

Judge: "Mr. Dershowitz can you provide evidence for this claim Mr. DSouza is being treated unfairly?

AD: Well you see, I was a professor at Harvard and I uhh....I'm not a conservative I'm a libertarian and I uhhh, OJ Simpson once said that, uhh.....no your honor, no evidence" 

Judge: Bailiff take Mr. Dershowitz back to Fox New's office please.  

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

D'Souza is generally an insignificant character, but I'm fairly confident that he's one of the 25 (or so) shittiest human beings in our country.  He's the human embodiment of intellectual dishonesty.

He's a celebrated historian.

• Fuck You 1

Hillary's America: The Secret History of the Democratic Party

On July 25, 2016, D'Souza released the documentary film Hillary's America: The Secret History of the Democratic Party.[105][106][107] The film criticizes the Democratic Party and Hillary Clinton, the presumptive (and ultimate) Democratic nominee for President of the United States in 2016.[105][106][107][108]

The film was universally panned by professional film critics. On review aggregator Rotten Tomatoes, the film has an approval rating of 4%, based on 27 professional reviews, with an average rating of 1.7/10. The critics consensus on the site reads, "Hillary's America: The Secret History of the Democratic Party finds Dinesh D'Souza once again preaching to the right-wing choir—albeit less effectively than ever."[109] On Metacritic, which assigns a normalized rating, the film has a score of 2 out of 100, based on 17 critics, indicating "overwhelming dislike".[110] The film has the fifth lowest score of all films on the site.[111] Peter Sobczynski wrote, "Hillary's America may well be the single dumbest documentary that I have ever seen in my life."[112] A July 2016 review in Varietycharacterized D'Souza as "a right-wing conspiracy wingnut, the kind of "thinker" who takes off from Barack Obama birther theories and just keeps going, spinning out a web of comic-book liberal evil."[113]

Other critics and figures viewed the film positively. John Fund of the National Review stated that "[the film] is over the top in places and definitely selective, but the troubling facts are accurate and extensively documented in the D’Souza book that accompanies the movie." He also called the film "intensely patriotic".[114] On July 23, 2016, Donald Trump, who was then running as the Republican presidential nominee against Clinton, called on supporters to see the film.[115]

On January 23, 2017 the film was nominated for five Razzies including: Worst Picture, Worst Actor (Dinesh D'Souza), Worst Actress (Becky Turner), Worst Director (Dinesh D'Souza and Bruce Schooley), and Worst Screenplay.[116] In response to the Razzie nominations, D'Souza stated that he was "actually quite honored" and called the nominations "petty revenge" in response to Trump's election victory, also stating that "the film might have played an important role in the election."[117] After "winning" four of the five possible Razzies, D'Souza repeated his view that the nominations were awarded in response to Trump's election victory.[118]

10 minutes ago, SuingToGetAMessageBoard? said:

Also, this pardon is really getting under my skin.  I want to find out there is something to this substantive beyond “I like his politics”.  It is the flip side of “Lock Her Up!”   My political opponents should be in jail.  My political friends should run free.  

Well it appears to be a trend.  First Joe Arpaio and now Dinesh.

Any President has the right to create tariffs if they feel it's a national security issue.  Law from the early 60s.   Today Trump raised steel and aluminum tariffs for Canada, Mexico and the EU because of the logic that the tariffs improves the national economy which is critical to national security. 

Looking back in history there are points that political parties change their position on issues relatively rapidly but I can't recall a modern position being reversed so quickly like it has with the GOP and protectionism.   I halfway expect the GOP to embrace unions next.

(Edit:  I think the Dinesh pardon is about directing attention to that as opposed to elsewhere.  The media should ignore the pardon story as nothing can be done except express outrage.)

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie

17 minutes ago, SuingToGetAMessageBoard? said:

Also, this pardon is really getting under my skin.  I want to find out there is something to this substantive beyond “I like his politics”.  It is the flip side of “Lock Her Up!”   My political opponents should be in jail.  My political friends should run free.  

Considering the tweet and Dinesh's claim of selective prosecution, it sounds like Trump and Dinesh tell a similar story, but with one major difference.  Trump claims the FBI targeted him and are trying to make it look like he did illegal stuff he didn't do.  Dinesh claims the government targeted him and unfairly prosecuted him for things that he admits to doing, but believe that many others do worse and aren't prosecuted. 

It may be a hint of where the Trump defense is going to next, particularly with illegal campaign contributions.

1 hour ago, 4th&Five said:

On May 20, 2014, D'Souza pleaded guilty in federal court to one charge of using a "straw donor" to make an illegal campaign contribution to a 2012 United States Senate campaign, a felony.[13][5] On September 23, he was sentenced to eight months in a halfway house near his home in San Diego, five years probation, and a $30,000 fine.[14][15]

In 2016, D'Souza released a documentary film and book, both entitled Hillary's America, in which he offers his version of the history of the Democratic Party. D'Souza's films have been the subject of considerable controversy, including criticism for espousing conspiracy theories and other unsubstantiated representations of fact.[16][17]  [wikipedia]

Confessed liar and felon, check.

Generator of of the fakiest news in the history of Fake News, check.

Hillary slanderer, check.

Conspiracy monger, check.

Hell, he's Trump's twin from another mother. If he's a match in narcissism, they'll probably fuck in the Oval Office.

1 hour ago, SmokeyTheBear said:

The only reason we know about her is because of a sex tape. That is her claim to fame. She fucked someone famous on video and is now meeting with the President of the United States, a former game show host, in the Oval Office to discuss how to reform our prison system. 'Murica!

I humbly make an addition to your succinct picture of what we have become. 

To contrast, here's wikipedia on FDR's Brain Trust:

The core of the first Roosevelt brain trust consisted of a group of Columbia law professors (Moley, Tugwell, and Berle). These men played a key role in shaping the policies of the First New Deal (1933). Although they never met together as a group, they each had Roosevelt's ear. 

The core of the second Roosevelt brain trust sprang from men associated with the Harvard law school (Cohen, Corcoran, and Frankfurter). These men played a key role in shaping the policies of the Second New Deal (1935–1936).

Mencken Torbush

giphy.gif

3 minutes ago, staboner said:

ok so now tariffs on steel and other materials from allies in Europe and North America. 

Makes perfect sense

WTF happened to free trade. 

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-trade-metals-europe/u-s-levies-steel-aluminum-tariffs-on-allies-risks-trade-war-idUSKCN1IV2TN?il=0

WASHINGTON/PARIS (Reuters) - Washington will impose tariffs on steel and aluminum imports from the European Union, Canada and Mexico from midnight on Thursday, ending months of uncertainty over potential exemptions and sharply escalating the risk of a trade war.

U.S. Commerce Secretary Wilbur Ross told reporters in a telephone briefing that Washington would proceed with plans for a 25 percent tariff on steel and a 10 percent tariff on aluminum imports, although he said the door was still open for negotiations without specifying what measures could be taken.

“We look forward to continued negotiations, both with Canada and Mexico on the one hand, and with the European Commission on the other hand, because there are other issues that we also need to get resolved,” Ross said.

The tariffs, which have prompted several challenges at the WTO, are aimed at allowing the U.S. steel and aluminum industries to increase their capacity utilization rates above 80 percent for the first time in years.

it's fucking madness. the party of free trade has turned into the party of protectionism. are we sure we're not in some simulator where some demonic asshole is just ramping up the absurdity notch by notch, in effect, boiling us like frogs, until we hit a breaking point?

wait, what ?!

Several U.S. and European diplomats told the news outlets that Trump told French President Emmanuel Macron about his plans last month during a state visit.

Trump reportedly told Macron that he would maintain the ban until no Mercedes-Benz cars are seen on Fifth Avenue in New York.

Edited by triplehorn

The best part of the whole tariff thing is the "national security" justification.  What a fucking load of horseshit. Maybe we never should have allowed the Executive branch to gain these unconstitutional powers, how about that for a "national security risk". 

Edited by Anastasis
  • Like 3

It is hard to imagine that he is NOT actively trying to destroy America's standing in the world. None of these actions make sense other then to systematically tear us down. I can't blame incompetence or inexperience at this point, just straight strategic treason. 

• Like 2