Donald Trump 2018

TheFlyingBoat

52 minutes ago, sachick said:

"Lack of memory."  My new favorite phrase for lying.

Now wait a minute. I've been assured he has one of the best memories. One of the greatest of all time, in fact. These lawyers were just trying to double bill. 

14 minutes ago, Mojo Hand said:

"Trump ends crisis he created by reaching same or worse deal than he would have gotten without crisis, takes credit for historic success." 

Can someone explain what was actually accomplished here?  I am willing to give credit when it's due, even if I disagree with the method, but that article didn't say anything of substance as to the terms of the "deal" other than "they'll buy soybeans and natural gas".  Did we give nothing in return?  Does it even matter?

1 minute ago, Biff Tannen said:

Can someone explain what was actually accomplished here?  I am willing to give credit when it's due, even if I disagree with the method, but that article didn't say anything of substance as to the terms of the "deal" other than "they'll buy soybeans and natural gas".  Did we give nothing in return?  Does it even matter?

I don't think the details are out yet.  But if that's the early spin from the WH, I'm guessing that this ends up like everything else Trump has fucked up.   On the bright side, even a face-saving deal to avoid a trade war would be better than what Trump was doing. 

2 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

Listened to the tape. I love the way Cohen talks about the matter involving "our friend David", which is delivered like he's saying "THE BIG CRIME WE'RE DOING".

Idiots.

“This is David.  He’s a friend of ours.”

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Mojo Hand said:

I don't think the details are out yet.  But if that's the early spin from the WH, I'm guessing that this ends up like everything else Trump has fucked up.   On the bright side, even a face-saving deal to avoid a trade war would be better than what Trump was doing. 

And it's not like the EU is the reason soybean prices are down.  China imports 6 times the tonnage of soybeans that the entire EU does.  I don't know how much more the EU could buy, but it won't really address the problem.  It's great that there is a general backing down, from both sides, but the soybean aspect seems misplaced.  Motorcycles and bourbon are a much bigger deal with the EU. 

Have only watched a portion of this Pompeo hearing, but the Senators and Pompeo sound reasonably competent. How can our govt be so effed up? These guys seem to understand the problems reasonably well and are discussing potential solutions competently. I haz confused.

Pompeo is a very smart dude but he’s Trump’s little bitch so those brains are wasted, along with all the other Mensa members that work for this moron.

DeVos Proposes to Curtail Debt Relief for Defrauded Students

WASHINGTON — Education Secretary Betsy DeVos proposed on Wednesday to curtail Obama administration loan forgiveness rules for students defrauded by for-profit colleges, requiring that student borrowers show they have fallen into hopeless financial straits or prove that their colleges knowingly deceived them.

The DeVos proposal, set to go in force a year from now, would replace Obama-era policies that sought to ease access to loan forgiveness for students who were left saddled with debt after two for-profit college chains, Corinthian Colleges and ITT Technical Institute, imploded in 2015 and 2016. The schools were found to have misled their students with false advertisements and misleading claims for years.

Afterward, the Obama administration forgave hundreds of millions of dollars in student loans and began rewriting regulations to crack down on predatory institutions and bolster borrowers’ ability to seek debt relief from the federal government. But higher education institutions, including historically black colleges and universities and for-profit educators, maintained that the new rules were far too broad and subjected them to frivolous claims that carried significant financial risks.

In June 2017, just one month before the Obama rules were to take effect, Ms. DeVos announced that she would block and rewrite them.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/07/25/us/politics/betsy-devos-debt-relief-for-profit-colleges.html

Edited by Hugo Stiglitz

Totally normal behavior.  

http://thehill.com/homenews/media/398685-trump-endorses-jeanine-pirros-new-book-in-oval-office

President Trump posed for photos with Fox News host Jeanine Pirro and her new book in the Oval Office.

Pirro on Tuesday tweeted the photos of her and Trump with copies of the book, “Liars, Leakers and Liberals: The Case Against the Anti-Trump Conspiracy.”

“I think @realDonaldTrump likes it!!!” she tweeted.

pirrojeanine_trumpdonald_07242018.jpg?it

3 minutes ago, Gil Bang said:

Collins was representing all the television networks as the "pool reporter" in the room during the early afternoon meeting between Trump and Jean-Claude Juncker, the president of the European Commission. 

It is customary for the press pool to lob a few questions at the president. Sometimes Trump responds; other times he does not. 

On Wednesday, Trump did not answer Collins' questions about Vladimir Putin and Michael Cohen. 

Later in the afternoon, the White House surprised the press corps by announcing a press availability with Trump and Juncker in the Rose Garden. It was said to be open to all press, not just the small pool. 

A few minutes later, Collins was asked to come to Bill Shine's office. Shine, a former co-president of Fox News, is the new deputy chief of staff for communications. Shine and press secretary Sarah Sanders met Collins there. 

"They said 'You are dis-invited from the press availability in the Rose Garden today,'" Collins said. "They said that the questions I asked were inappbropriate for that venue. And they said I was shouting." 

A video clip of the exchange shows that Collins was speaking the same way journalists in the press pool usually speak. 

Collins said she reacted by saying, "You're banning me from an event because you didn't like the questions I asked." 

Collins said Shine and Sanders asserted that "we're not banning your network. Your photographers can still come. Your producers can still come. But you are not invited to the Rose Garden today."

• Like 1

Question about the Cohen tape.

They acknowledge a need to pay 'David' (National Enquirer) to obtain rights to the McDougal affair story.

They express a need to squash the story before the election.

Giuliani states that no payment was ever made.

So then how is this not evidence of an illegal campaign contribution and knowledge of it?

5 minutes ago, JohnnyRage said:

then how is this not evidence of an illegal campaign contribution and knowledge of it?

Technically it’s a felony campaign finance violation and conspiracy to violate campaign laws.

But I’ve lost track of how many charges Trump could get hit with since he’s above the law now.

Edited by Hugo Stiglitz