Donald Trump 2018

TheFlyingBoat

1 hour ago, Blotto said:

In fact, the Supreme Court reversed about 70 percent of cases it took between 2010-15. Among cases it reviewed from the 9th Circuit Court of Appeals, it reversed about 79 percent.

The 9th Circuit’s reversal rate is higher than average, but it’s not the absolute highest among the circuit courts. That distinction goes to the 6th Circuit, which serves Ohio, Michigan, Kentucky and Tennessee, with an 87 percent average between 2010-15.  The 9th Circuit is in third place.

6th Circuit - 87 percent;

11th Circuit - 85 percent;

9th Circuit - 79 percent;

3rd Circuit - 78 percent;

2nd Circuit and Federal Circuit - 68 percent;

8th Circuit - 67 percent;

5th Circuit - 66 percent;

7th Circuit - 48 percent;

DC Circuit - 45 percent;

1st Circuit and 4th Circuit - 43 percent;

10th Circuit - 42 percent.

We also found that the 9th Circuit never had the highest reversal rate in any individual term between 2004-15. (That’s the farthest back we could go.)

And that is for cases the that actually go to SCOTUS. The overall reversal rate is miniscule.

49 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

I will give Trump this:  He made it all the way to the top despite being one of the worst Americans in history.  That probably says more about us than him but it’s still remarkable.

Yeah, he was born sliding into home and given more advantages than most can imagine but he managed his failures well enough to keep the con going. 

Around the world, he will most certainly be remembered for generations to come, but not in a good way.

So the one thing you can say about him is that he proves the adage that any American can grow up to be President of the United States. 

13 minutes ago, Eskimohorn said:

What the fuck happened to wanting oil prices high? Drill baby drill and other nonsense?

First, lower oil prices plays better overall politically because it’s a tangible commodity everyone can see.  

Second, “drill baby drill” = lower oil prices because you’re increasing supply.

Third, with the stock market tanking and the tariffs about to hit consumers, Trump is clearly running out of things to claim credit on.  He knows he absolutely HAS to keep his job approval numbers ABOVE a certain level before getting removed becomes a possibility.  

Edited by Hugo Stiglitz

16 minutes ago, Red Five said:

President Michael Scott just ended with "when I see foreign leaders, they all say they cannot believe how much stronger the US is than it was two years ago". 

More of a David Brent than a Michael Scott, whose principal characteristic is likability despite his idiocy.

Happy Thanksgiving y'all - this year I'm more thankful than ever for spending my favorite holiday at a table with thoughtful, intelligent people.

• Like 1

Of all the things that we need in DC, the one word that keeps popping into my head is transparency. It seems like it's totally antithetical to what our govt is about, and without it, I don't think we get this ship turned around.

3 hours ago, Blotto said:

In fact, the Supreme Court reversed about 70 percent of cases it took between 2010-15. Among cases it reviewed from the 9th Circuit Court of Appeals, it reversed about 79 percent.

The 9th Circuit’s reversal rate is higher than average, but it’s not the absolute highest among the circuit courts. That distinction goes to the 6th Circuit, which serves Ohio, Michigan, Kentucky and Tennessee, with an 87 percent average between 2010-15.  The 9th Circuit is in third place.

We also found that the 9th Circuit never had the highest reversal rate in any individual term between 2004-15. (That’s the farthest back we could go.)

Limbaugh/Fox have been beating this drum for 20 years. Only now they also have the bully pulpit of the WH railing against the judicial system.

Edited by retread

Cadet Bone Spurs keeps crowing about how he's done more for the military and vets than any other President.

Obviously I know he's lying, but does anyone know what specific things he thinks he's done? 

Aside from increasing an already bloated budget, I can't think of anything.

A budget, by the way, that should never be increased until a full audit of there current wastefulness is completed.

Edited by DixonHur

53 minutes ago, retread said:

Of all the things that we need in DC, the one word that keeps popping into my head is transparency. It seems like it's totally antithetical to what our govt is about, and without it, I don't think we get this ship turned around.

Limbaugh/Fox have been beating this drum for 20 years. Only now they also have the bully pulpit of the WH railing against the judicial system.

The overturn rate stat is misleading. The SCOTUS only hears cases that are likely to be overturned. 

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, DixonHur said:

Cadet Bone Spurs keeps crowing about how he's done more for the military and vets than any other President.

Obviously I know he's lying, but does anyone know what specific things he thinks he's done? 

Aside from increasing an already bloated budget, I can't think of anything.

A budget, by the way, that should never be increased until a full audit of there current wastefulness is completed.

They can say Merry Christmas?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Constant said:

This is a brilliant defense.  

Prosecutor: You strangled your wife and children and then went on a 5-day killing spree, murdering 12 people and severely injuring 17 others,, correct?

Defendant: Yes, I did.

Prosecutor: So you are responsible for the deaths of over a dozen people?

Defendant: No, sir.  The world is responsible for that.

Prosecutor: Excuse me?

Defendant: I said the world is responsible.  The world is a brutal, scary place.  There are people out there in the world strangling their families and murdering a dozen people!  It’s horrible.  But what can you do?

Judge: I hereby find the world guilty of this heinous crime committed by this man.  Case closed!

12 minutes ago, Aqua Buddha said:

Best part was the pause before the Navy guy started speaking.  He was prolly like "Da hell?  Is this a question?"

I like how you called him, 'The Navy guy.'  I know you probably like trump as much as I do, which is to say not at all.  But it's funny to me you referred to the (very likely) Flag Officer as, "The Navy Guy" because that's probably how Trump refers to them.  Not sailor, not Admiral, not Captain, not Commander...but "The Navy Guy."  

Just now, Lobo said:

I like how you called him, 'The Navy guy.'  I know you probably like trump as much as I do, which is to say not at all.  But it's funny to me you referred to the (very likely) Flag Officer as, "The Navy Guy" because that's probably how Trump refers to them.  Not sailor, not Admiral, not Captain, not Commander...but "The Navy Guy."  

Technically, he is a guy and in the Navy.  Would you rather me have said "Seaman?"

7 minutes ago, Aqua Buddha said:

Technically, he is a guy and in the Navy.  Would you rather me have said "Seaman?"

Your mother calls it that.  I kid.  It was just funny to me because I got what you meant, but you know Trump before the call was saying something like, "get me some navy guys on the phone for a Thanksgiving video-op."  

"What kind of Navy Guys, Mr. President?  Flag officers, NCO's, new recruits, Secretary of the Navy?" 

"Ah, you know.  Navy Guys.  Fantastic, super, fantastic Navy Guys."  

Uh, yeah.

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/11/22/kelly-nielsen-debate-border-troops-1012547

Kelly and Nielsen initially argued against signing the declaration, which granted the military broad authority at the border, telling the president that the move was beyond his constitutional powers. They were vocally opposed by, among others, senior policy adviser Stephen Miller; Chris Crane, president of the National Immigration and Customs Enforcement Council; and Brandon Judd, president of the border patrol union. Also present was Vice President Mike Pence, who did not take a stand on the issue, according to one of the people briefed on the debate.

Kelly and Nielsen eventually came around to the president’s position, and the bitter dispute ended Tuesday evening when Kelly, on Trump’s orders, signed a Cabinet declaration granting the military the disputed authority. The move ran afoul of the guidance offered by the White House counsel, Emmet Flood, who cautioned that it was likely to run into constitutional roadblocks, according to a second source familiar with the conversations.

18 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Go Army! Beat Navy!

• Like 1