Donald Trump 2018

TheFlyingBoat

2 hours ago, GhostOfTomJoad said:

As much as I loathe the imbecile Trump & most of his policies to date, the GM transformation is their last chance to save their company in the face of a changing world. This would have happened no matter who was in the oval office. Although the $300mm increase in their commodity costs in the 3rd quarter due primarily to tariffs on imported steel & aluminum certainly cuts into their profits. Those costs might reach $1b next year.

But I expect dotard to tweet something asinine blaming/threatening GM within the next 24 hours. It's all he knows to do.

They're fleeing the DANGEROUS INVASION CARAVAN!!! Why aren't the 17 angry Democrats investigating the caravan coming in from further south than South America? That's where the real witches live! No witches here thanks to President T!1 Fake news not reporting it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DixonHur said:

Especially once we go back to a steam powered Navy.

Okay, I've seen dribs and drabs on this including the awkward phone call, but has anyone pointed out that Trump was likely actually referring the launching catapult?

It's my understanding that steam had a reliable record in that function and, at least some years ago, there was doubt about the reliability of newer technology.

It sounds like Trump was just confused/ill-informed/stupid about how steam may be used on a carrier.

Apologies if this has already been thrashed out elsewhere.

16 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

Okay, I've seen dribs and drabs on this including the awkward phone call, but has anyone pointed out that Trump was likely actually referring the launching catapult?

It's my understanding that steam had a reliable record in that function and, at least some years ago, there was doubt about the reliability of newer technology.

It sounds like Trump was just confused/ill-informed/stupid about how steam may be used on a carrier.

Apologies if this has already been thrashed out elsewhere.

The conversation started with catapults, but quickly turned into steam powered screws.  I couldn't tell if it was joking or not.

21 hours ago, DixonHur said:

Yeah, I don't know about the legalitie vis-a-vis the border, and don't know the exact circumstances, but basically calling it a war crime seems a bit over the top...if for no other reason than we're not at war with Mexico...yet.

Yeah, I prefer "Crime against Humanity".

3 hours ago, Chuckie Finster said:

Yeah, everyone with a brain realizes this.  But Trump got millions of votes on the empty promise of bringing manufacturing back to the Rust Belt, so he needs to get hit hard when reality strikes and these inevitable events occur.

As do the moron factory workers who believed his bullshit lies.

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

Again, nevermind the politics of it - I remain most pissed off about the utter cruelty of him casually giving what any sane person knew was FALSE hope to factory workers in Ohio, coal minders in West Virginia, etc.  "We're gonna make buggy whip manufacturing great again!"  No.  No you're not.  It's not up to you.  The laws of economics prevail, and those laws have dictated this trend for decades.  Magic words from an orange man aren't going to change that.  But desperate people have hope -- they WANT these things to be true, to they buy the line of bullshit.  He's a con-man who sold a snake oil treatment to a critically ill patient who, in desperation, will try anything.  And that patient is drinking the snake oil INSTEAD of undergoing the therapy that MIGHT save them - don't stay put and wait for your 1955 job to come back.  Move to where the 2018 jobs are/learn how to do a 2018 job. 

Preying on the desperation of those people, not giving a rat's ass about how they are only going to get MORE fucked as time goes by -- that's just fucking cruel.  And unforgivable.  He's an evil fucker.

Well said, as per usual.

Trump is the soulless asshole taking the hopeless for their last ride. It is that evil. 

Note the decent spelling and punctuation on the tweet about Mueller. This isn’t Trump sneaking away to the shitter. His stupidity is being proofread prior to broadcast. And either no one is stopping it (Kelly has lost control) or the report is damning enough that the strategy is to concede certain conclusions prior to the whole thing coming out. Or both.

8 minutes ago, Hank Kingsley said:
American media continues to blow wide open layups. These people need to be A LOT better at their jobs. 

This.  The story is (1) what the climate report says and (2) that the WH purposefully buried the report on Black Friday.  Trump's uninformed beliefs about the report, when he hasn't even read the report or have a basic understanding of eighth grade chemistry (or fourth grade civics for that matter) is not the lede, and is not even a story other than maybe a sentence in the last paragraph.

They have to start reporting what our government is doing in our name.  Stop with the simply regurgitating the nonsense spewed by Trump and SHS and the like.  The admin's lies and bs are not newsworthy, other than for the sheer amount of them.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Hank Kingsley said:

American media continues to blow wide open layups. These people need to be A LOT better at their jobs. 

A million fucking times, this.  I swear to God, there needs to be just a goddamned 3 hour seminar in journalism school on "how to cross-examine a witness."  Every junior litigation associate in the world could ask better, more direct questions than 99.9% of the journalists are doing.

"The Climate report says X on page 7, based on data points Y and Z.  What is your specific criticism of conclusion X -- why do you say it is incorrect?"

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

A million fucking times, this.  I swear to God, there needs to be just a goddamned 3 hour seminar in journalism school on "how to cross-examine a witness."  Every junior litigation associate in the world could ask better, more direct questions than 99.9% of the journalists are doing.

"The Climate report says X on page 7, based on data points Y and Z.  What is your specific criticism of conclusion X -- why do you say it is incorrect?"

We need younger, smarter, and more thoughtful people in government. The same goes for journalism. 

5 minutes ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

Until today, he probably had no idea that CNN was broadcast around the world, and Fox News isn't....and someone pointed out how "unfair" that was.

i've never really thought about it, but can you imagine the ratings fox news would get outside the US?  literally zero.  it would be like sending your cheerleaders out to try to pump up the crowd in an away game.

• Like 1

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/11/26/trump-climate-change-report-1016494

President Donald Trump on Monday dismissed a grim report on climate change produced by his own government, saying he didn’t believe the report’s prognosis of dire economic fallout.

Trump was asked by reporters if he had read the report, which was released on Friday in what critics said was an attempt to bury the news over a holiday weekend.

“I've seen it. I’ve read some of it, and it's fine,” Trump responded.

The report predicted that economic losses due to climate change in some sectors could stretch up to hundreds of billions of dollars by the end of the century. Trump rejected that claim.

“I don't believe it,” he said, when prompted by a reporter about the grim economic impacts projected. “No, no, I don't believe it.”

Trump said, however, that it wouldn’t mean much for the U.S. to address greenhouse gas emissions if “all of these other countries,” like China, Japan “and all of Asia” did not also cut back on pollution, even though the United States is the only country that has rejected the Paris climate agreement. He claimed Monday that the U.S. was “the cleanest” it’s ever been.

Edited by Francisco 2.0

1 minute ago, Theshining said:

OMG this is inarguable fascism.

Authoritarian 101. He's several stages down the syllabus.

That man is destroying democracy. He's destroying America. How could you possibly support him!! To do so is sedition. 

Sorry but you’ve obviously completely forgotten about HER EMAILS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 hour ago, staboner said:

Well said, as per usual.

Trump is the soulless asshole taking the hopeless for their last ride. It is that evil. 

Watch the new Coen brothers flick on Netflix, Ballad of Buster Scruggs.  

Those factor workers are the actor, Trump is the owner, and he’s just discovered a chicken that will make him more money. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Theshining said:

OMG this is inarguable fascism.

Authoritarianism 101. He's several stages down the course syllabus.

That man is destroying democracy. He's destroying America. How could you possibly support him!! To do so is patently sedition.

Not fascism.  Trump is just a fucking moron with a sixth-grade knowledge of how the world outside of Trump Tower functions.  

Hopefully he doesn’t discover the government already has VOA, because he’ll turn into Fox News lite, complete with whining about Hillary and Mueller.  

1 minute ago, atomheartbevo said:

Not fascism.  Trump is just a fucking moron with a sixth-grade knowledge of how the world outside of Trump Tower functions.  

Hopefully he doesn’t discover the government already has VOA, because he’ll turn into Fox News lite, complete with whining about Hillary and Mueller.  

Oh, he will probably try to do that.  And when it's pointed out their organization duties is to report factual news, he will want all funding cut for it.