Donald Trump 2018

TheFlyingBoat

24 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

*watches video of a man hacking people to death with a machete*

Anastasis: "Well, after watching that video and seeing that EVERYONE was covered in blood, I can only conclude that both sides..."

Frankly, I think there's enough confirmation bias for everybody to see what they wanted to see in that confrontation. FOX is talking about ebil Dems being disrespectful and deceitful. I'm sure his base sees him as standing up to those ebil Dems.

Dems see a liar out of his depth being called on his lies and corrected on his idiocy regarding government. They also see seasoned Dem politicians looking like vertebrates which is rare. (I vote Dem)

The factual side, to me, puts the Dem perception closer to reality, but maybe I'm biased. I doubt it, thought. Too many GOPs have abandoned Trump to make me believe a low opinion of that scoundrel is mere partisan bias.

I'm kind of glad decorum was broken. A facade of a working government with everything being fine does nothing to help address the shitstorm we're actually in.

27 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

Maybe I just don't know enough about how it all works, but I didn't see her owning him in that clip.  She said it could pass the House, he pushed back and said he didn't care because it wouldn't pass the Senate, and her only response was "that's not the point".  

They accomplished 3 things:

1.  He admitted he didn't have the votes for the Wall and has no idea how to get them.

2.  He's petulant and seems out of his depth on how to pass legislation.  They also let him and the public know, they will not put up with his stupid shit anymore.  It's a new era. 

3.  Inexplicably, he will own a potential shut down of the government...... before Christmas.  It's his.  It's on his back and he will gladly own it publicly.  And it's around the Wall, legislation the majority of the Americans don't think is needed.

It was fascinating and funny..... and sort of pathetic that two sad sacks like Schumer and Pelosi could so outmaneuver Trump.  

Now, his base won't give a fuck.  He could tell them that we need to become a territory of Russia and they'd never admit their failure.  But Trump made several mistakes in the press conference.  He thinks because he got to bluster, he won.

• Like 4

33 minutes ago, DigDug said:

Hold on a second, we were just told this morning that our border is secure.  4 hours later it's uncontrollable drugs and diseases pouring over with no oversight.   What the hell.

Schumer scored some good points.

He finessed the President into (rightfully) taking responsibility for a shutdown. 

He made the point that you do when talking about funding while addressing the press outside of the White House. If the border is secure as Trump says, why not keep budget at current levels?

He pointed out that less than ten percent of last year's allocation for Border Security has been spent. Why do they need more?

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, mdmost said:

The beauty of what they did was walk Trump right into the trap that where he declared the shut down will be owned by him. 

and another part of the beauty was trump decided to try and art of the deal them in front of the cameras. it was HIS IDEA.

look, everyone can have their opinion of pelosi and schumer, and a lot of that is going to be fair. 

but this was a shots fired meeting, and they fucking owned the president. he just owned the shutdown, and proudly. he even used THAT WORD.

paul ryan and mitch mcconnell should have been doing stuff like this the last two years. this president needs to be brought to heel, because he is a fucking moron. republicans could have done this, but they were afraid of the implication of corruption, because they took that nra money and they know what's coming. the trick is, had thy brought this president to heel as they should have done, things would look very different now. 

talk about a lack of leadership. good job, good effort, republicans.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, mdmost said:

The beauty of what they did was walk Trump right into the trap where he declared the shut down will be owned by him. 

They didn't even have to use their ultimate tactic:

"Mr. President, you're not intelligent enough to take responsibility for the awesome shutdown of the government. Other's will take credit for that."

He loves having his name on things. Trump Shutdown. We're told it's the best shutdown ever.

3 minutes ago, G650 said:

I don't like Pelosi, but the woman is good.

1 minute ago, Brisketexan said:

This.

I truly and genuinely dislike her.  But she's got game. 

she just coolly owned the president. maneuvered him right to where she wanted him to go. "trump shutdown" and "i will proudly shut down the government."

congrats, dude, it's no longer the obstructionist democrats to whom you can point. you have to look in the mirror.

and then her and schumer's performance just outside the white house further drove the point home. they must have said "trump shutdown" a dozen times. they clearly had a plan and effected that plan. trump, like always, had no plan, deciding instead to play it by ear. he's WAY out of his depth.

they are RIGHT OUTSIDE YOUR HOUSE CLOWNING YOU, dude. you fucking fool.

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

she just coolly owned the president. maneuvered him right to where she wanted him to go. "trump shutdown" and "i will proudly shut down the government."

congrats, dude, it's no longer the obstructionist democrats to whom you can point. you have to look in the mirror.

and then her and schumer's performance just outside the white house further drove the point home. they must have said "trump shutdown" a dozen times. they clearly had a plan and effected that plan. trump, like always, had no plan, deciding instead to play it by ear. he's WAY out of his depth.

they are RIGHT OUTSIDE YOUR HOUSE CLOWNING YOU, dude. you fucking fool.

That was a really slick move to stand right outside immediately and basically hold there own controlled press conference to reiterate their points.

26 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

I'm kind of glad decorum was broken. A facade of a working government with everything being fine does nothing to help address the shitstorm we're actually in.

To be honest, this is what our government working should look like. If the façade had been maintained -- or worse, if that hadn't actually been a façade -- then government would not be working.

The one thing that terrified me more than anything was that Trump wouldn't be called out, that he'd be allowed to do whatever he wanted to do without anyone bothering to stand up to him. What allows democracies to devolve into authoritarian regimes is when the autocrat's power goes unchecked, which is what's been happening to the Presidency for decades. If we hadn't had Trump in office, if it had been Hillary, we might have been worse off, because that power creep would've continued unchecked. What scared me about Trump was that I felt we were already past the point of no return. I'm still not sure.

If @lemonlime is right, that this is what Putin wants, well... he is going to be terribly disappointed in the result. This is nothing but a good thing.

And it's not just good for Democrats and the left -- if you're one of the people who voted for Trump because you wanted someone overturning tables, what you're seeing now is the best possible result of that.

Edited by Rimbo
  • Like 4

16 minutes ago, AbeFroman said:

That was a really slick move to stand right outside immediately and basically hold there own controlled press conference to reiterate their points.

Politics 101.

Watching Pelosi and Schumer work Trump was like watching a perfect 6-4-3 double play.

Edited by High Plains Drifter
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, The Royal We said:

LULZ.  I hope he's got a good cut man in his corner because Trump has a gash opened up above his eye after the very first altercation.  I could never have imagined that I would be pulling for Nancy and Chuck, but here we are.  

And Nancy and Chuck to the list that includes Nike and the NFL.

Who am I forgetting?

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

Well, she possesses significantly larger balls than DOTUS, so, there's that.  To be fair, there are eunuchs who possess more testicular fortitude than DOTUS.

Trump seems to possess a superpower related to conflict.  Whereas most people, myself included, are drained when embroiled in conflict, he seems to draw some bizzaro dark matter energy from it.  So while he may not have balls, he has a strange comfort being at the center of an existential crisis.