Maui

PantsTent

1 hour ago, The Ace of Aces said:

Coworker's sister had to evacuate by sailboat and took 4 families with them the other day. Their home is gone completely. 

Awful.

We are fine. I assume those sleeping in the airport were unable to find a hotel. We've been in an Airbnb in Kihei the past two nights. The host worked with me, very compassionate. Family is on a noon flight, I am on a 2 pm. Not expecting any hiccups but who knows. The resort says they will pack up our things and ship them to us at no cost when it is safe to go back and they have power. Got some cash for my wife and I was able to add my Amex on her phone to Google Pay. 

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 2

42 minutes ago, Baboontyme said:

Awful.

We are fine. I assume those sleeping in the airport were unable to find a hotel. We've been in an Airbnb in Kihei the past two nights. The host worked with me, very compassionate. Family is on a noon flight, I am on a 2 pm. Not expecting any hiccups but who knows. The resort says they will pack up our things and ship them to us at no cost when it is safe to go back and they have power. Got some cash for my wife and I was able to add my Amex on her phone to Google Pay. 

You're rolling with the flow, man.  Good on ya.  Good learning experience for your kids in adaptability, resilience, and compassion.  Glad y'all are all safe.

Update bc I'm sitting in a parking lot on the highway back into town. They are letting residents and hotel guests with reservations back into town you retrieve their things starting at noon. Family is on their flight Phoenix bound. Sw rebooked me at 4 but I'm not going to make it I don't think. The adventures continue. I hate to be a burden on these folks but I think getting our shit myself is probably less of one than having to have someone box everything up and ship it. 

• 9 months later...

Headed there in July. The Southwest tickets were too cheap to pass on.

Looking at Airbnb’s with a beach access and view. Kihue and north Lahaina seem the most reasonable. Going with two active kids, so will do a lot of hiking, snorkeling, and maybe some easy surfing.

Help!

If you stay in Kaanapali, or Napili or Kapalua, you are going to have to drive on the bypass overlooking Lahaina every time you do an excursion away from where you are staying. That is pretty depressing, at least to me. The Honoapilani Highway that goes around the North end of the island is not really navigable as a way to travel to Kahului and other parts of the island. I would look at Kihei and Wailea personally.

https://www.instagram.com/reel/C8Ad8cayrw3/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link&igsh=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, Baboontyme said:

If you stay in Kaanapali, or Napili or Kapalua, you are going to have to drive on the bypass overlooking Lahaina every time you do an excursion away from where you are staying. That is pretty depressing, at least to me. The Honoapilani Highway that goes around the North end of the island is not really navigable as a way to travel to Kahului and other parts of the island. I would look at Kihei and Wailea personally.

https://www.instagram.com/reel/C8Ad8cayrw3/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link&igsh=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==

Damn, it's almost been a year and that area is still fucked up.

On 6/9/2024 at 7:00 PM, NoRagrets said:

Looking at Airbnb’s with a beach access and view. Kihue and north Lahaina seem the most reasonable. Going with two active kids, so will do a lot of hiking, snorkeling, and maybe some easy surfing.

Help!

I'll see you there.  We're heading out July 13th.  In laws rented two condos north of Lahaina.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 6/12/2024 at 10:53 AM, Sbbruin said:

I could live here. My view from our deck in Hana this morning.

IMG_1226.jpeg

I always say that the first 2 nights out there. By day 3/4 I remember why I live in Kihei. Love it out there though.

• Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)
On 6/9/2024 at 2:00 PM, NoRagrets said:

Help!

The beaches are mostly better on the west side (other than Makena aka big beach which is my personal favorite). Kihei water is pretty mid (by Hawaii standards) unless the conditions are right. That said there are some great little ones down the street throughout Wailea/Makena.  If you haven’t been before and plan on exploring the entire island Kihei is much more central as a jumping off point. 

snorkeling: Honolua bay or Ahihi are fucking primo

hiking: Waihee Ridge is great if you don’t want to go to Hana to hike. Otherwise Pipiwai out there.

Surfing: depends on experience but if in Kihei The Cove is right in town and where most of the lessons are. Guardrails or Thousand Peaks if a bit more experienced. 

Edited by Hank_Hill
  • Hook 'Em 1

15 hours ago, Hank_Hill said:

The beaches are mostly better on the west side (other than Makena aka big beach which is my personal favorite). Kihei water is pretty mid (by Hawaii standards) unless the conditions are right. That said there are some great little ones down the street throughout Wailea/Makena.  If you haven’t been before and plan on exploring the entire island Kihei is much more central as a jumping off point. 

snorkeling: Honolua bay or Ahihi are fucking primo

hiking: Waihee Ridge is great if you don’t want to go to Hana to hike. Otherwise Pipiwai out there.

Surfing: depends on experience but if in Kihei The Cove is right in town and where most of the lessons are. Guardrails or Thousand Peaks if a bit more experienced. 

Thanks for the tips, everyone. 

19 hours ago, Hank_Hill said:

I always say that the first 2 nights out there. By day 3/4 I remember why I live in Kihei. Love it out there though.

Second time here.  You are definitely disconnected here.  I think that may suit me.  But back to the big city today.