I'm An Alcoholic

El Diablo

1 hour ago, BearSchlong said:

Ok I lasted til the 4th.

Burying my wife’s mom tomorrow morning, she valiantly fought Glioblastoma for a year. That's some seriously bad cancer.

I had to miss my yearly 4 day AA retreat/conference but was blessed to be with her the last week of her life.

I hope I never again hear the guttural noise that my wife made when her mom .  Enshook off this mortal coil.

Anyway, I've got people descending on my house from all parts near and far but wanted to check in with my people. Still not going to be here daily as Ill be taking my wife on a leaf peeping cruise in Canada on Wednesday.

Hope you're all well.

Sorry to hear about your mother in law.  Enjoy the Canadian fall-it is spectacular in every sense of the word.

• Like 1

Sorry Bear.

I came close a few weeks ago saying by to my mom in San Juan. Poured a bottle out for her into the Caribbean, had a wee nip. Damn I was tempted to keep going.

In office with aw client doing some disaster prep consulting. Team wants to go out every evening after work. I went the first evening, ordered a Topo. Got the odd looks. Next day VP asked me to go for a talk. Another place. He gets a wine, I get a topo. Got the look. I say I do not drink. He did not ask anymore questions. Last night team hangs out for the end of a sprint. I don't get an invite. Guess who was bright eyed and bushy tailed this AM? This guy. Which was good since we received a few oh shit emails from North Carolina.

Ranting, again, sorry Bear. And thanks to @BurntEyes for letting me reach out.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 4

Spent 4 days entertaining O&G execs at a golf event in OK.

One vendor had fabricated a pina colada machine. This contraption contains a 5 gallon igloo water cooler and a kitchen garbage disposal to chop the ice.

I always shroud my “I don't drink” statements with a little bit of mystery and intrigue.

05f64d809c5f0613885eab21f20f85cd.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1

On 9/8/2024 at 2:40 PM, InkaUtexas said:

Yesterday was 6 months. Baby steps, I know.

Was odd going to watch a Texas game, being quite gruntled, and not reaching into the communal bucket of beer.

Bartender noticed this, next bucked had two ice cold topochicos.

Thanks again to all for the support.

On the occasion when I'm out to dinner with friends or in a social setting like that, drinking sparkling water is my go to.  I don't drink it much otherwise but it's my cocktail of choice when I'm with others who are drinking.  I used to think it was weird in TV shows or movies when a sober alcoholic ordered a club soda but now I get it.   And it helps that sparkling water has come a long, long way from just club soda with a lime as the best alternative.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

The original attraction to me or for me of club soda with lime was that it has that kind of raunchy taste like a cocktail or beer.  I did quickly tire of the sodium, though.

I am now a daily drinker of various flavors of sparkling water and the similarity to beer or a cocktail is irrelevant.  It has mostly replaced cokes and keeps me hydrated for a random mountain bike ride.

My favorite for daily consumption is ozarka in a 16.9 oz bottle, but they quit selling it in stores and I have to get it delivered by ready refresh.  Good combo of taste, carbonation, price and container/quantity.

• Hook 'Em 1

I've been opening empty Soda Stream bottles and manually pounding out dry ice to refill them for years. Just spit ballin' proper air pressures, and having halloweenish dance parties with the extra. What could go wrong?

@InkaUtexas sucks when people assume you're not the fun guy anymore. Sucks even more when you know deep down that you are not the fun guy anymore without the social-crutch. I wish the invites were a little more frequent, but that's also on me. I've got to figure out how to be the joyful version of living.

Many people with true sobriety have that shit so far in the past that they could help will an imbibing party to fun town just through inner triumph.

(not saying this is your story, just sharing what was stirred up)

• Like 2

Yep, I maintain a steady supply of different waters. I drank soda water growing up so no biggie as a transition. But there remains a perception thing.

I have tipped well the smart bartender who can set up a tall rocks glass with club soda, orange slice, a cherry, etc. And it is rpetty damn good.

Not a soda fan so only place I have run into an issue are kids sporting events, etc. Whats funny is no one looks at you weird for pounding a gatorade. Guess they think I was hung over.

9 minutes ago, JohnnyRage said:

I've been opening empty Soda Stream bottles and manually pounding out dry ice to refill them for years. Just spit ballin' proper air pressures, and having halloweenish dance parties with the extra. What could go wrong?

@InkaUtexas sucks when people assume you're not the fun guy anymore. Sucks even more when you know deep down that you are not the fun guy anymore without the social-crutch. I wish the invites were a little more frequent, but that's also on me. I've got to figure out how to be the joyful version of living.

Many people with true sobriety have that shit so far in the past that they could help will an imbibing party to fun town just through inner triumph.

(not saying this is your story, just sharing what was stirred up)

For sure. Been lucky that my good friends recognized my decision, that it did not change me, and in fact they now had a designated driver most of the time. I still make the same really bad observations of society and will still chip in on the buckets at our watering hole. I said earlier bartender there watches out for those who decide this path. If there are three of us watching a game the bucket is 4 dos and 2 topos. A few of the rest have caught on.

I was talking to TGIF's about this one on one and we were working on a going fishing on the san marcos. That I do not get invited to do anymore with the buddies who drink and mentioned that to him. Schedules never aligned.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

For sure. Been lucky that my good friends recognized my decision, that it did not change me, and in fact they now had a designated driver most of the time. I still make the same really bad observations of society and will still chip in on the buckets at our watering hole. I said earlier bartender there watches out for those who decide this path. If there are three of us watching a game the bucket is 4 dos and 2 topos. A few of the rest have caught on.

I was talking to TGIF's about this one on one and we were working on a going fishing on the san marcos. That I do not get invited to do anymore with the buddies who drink and mentioned that to him. Schedules never aligned.

Sucks about the "fun guy" thing.  Try to remember that's about them not you.

Thankfully, most of my friends, including the ones that were college drinking buddies, grew out of that like normal people and are some combination of dgaf whether I drink or not or are happy that I don't anymore.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, TwiceHorn said:

The original attraction to me or for me of club soda with lime was that it has that kind of raunchy taste like a cocktail or beer.  I did quickly tire of the sodium, though.

I am now a daily drinker of various flavors of sparkling water and the similarity to beer or a cocktail is irrelevant.  It has mostly replaced cokes and keeps me hydrated for a random mountain bike ride.

My favorite for daily consumption is ozarka in a 16.9 oz bottle, but they quit selling it in stores and I have to get it delivered by ready refresh.  Good combo of taste, carbonation, price and container/quantity.

this is exactly it - it sits right in that space and then also just blends in with what everyone else is holding. I've had several instances of work things where on the walk back to the hotel with several fairly hammered people I've felt a little funny about not letting on that I'm completely sober.

I started a new job - I've posted about that in here several times. It's good, it's a bit brutal in that I have young kids and this job (in which I'm largely responsible for overseeing the planning and execution of work for several teams working on embedded software for physical product teams in other parts of the company) has a high degree of interaction with India. I'm in the mid atlantic in the eastern time zone, but still my calendar is basically shifted 2 hours forward to create some everlap with India where I think currently 7am here is 430 pm there. So, my morning are fucking crazy - 7 am is the earliest I can get kids to daycare, wife works in Cary MWF which from Wake Forest is maybe like commuting from Buda to Round Rock and so I can't just pawn them off on her. I've been encouraging the Indians to schedule me at 6 am so I can try and do some of this stuff before the kids are even awake, but I'm also spending a lot of time trying to decipher thick Indian accents as I arrange sliced bananas on peanut butter toast in just such a way to make it pleasing for a demanding 3.5 year old while she asks for updates in the background.

Anyways, surely it is true for some of y'all like it is true for me that a lot of the anxiety in the functional era of my alcoholic life was around sleep and getting up on time and getting to bed on time and physically being able to sleep. It is just crazy to think of how utterly incapable I would be of doing what I do now, how riddled with anxiety I used to be at the idea of being awake at 5:30 even once in a week. In a way kids cured my sleeping anxiety - I used to still take benadryl and chamomile and shit and then I just got so exhausted that it stopped being a thing. But still, I continue to marvel at what I'm able to simply adapt to as a sober person in the world.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, Celery Man said:

. I've been encouraging the Indians to schedule me at 6 am so I can try and do some of this stuff before the kids are even awake, but I'm also spending a lot of time trying to decipher thick Indian accents as I arrange sliced bananas on peanut butter toast in just such a way to make it pleasing for a demanding 3.5 year old while she asks for updates in the background.

Yeah, I have been there. Don't want to make this thread about work. My industry is a lot of bravado. If I have to remind a colonel I have lived in more war zones than him I am going to kick a puppy.

Accents- Picture them shaking their heads as they talk. There are sound waves I think that make it easier. Came up with that in the ME working with a lot of Indian clients and staff. My whole pricing team was from Bangalore of Mumbai.

Bananas-  Draw cute figures with honey. then stick the bananas to them. They stay in place and lets the artistic side of you out.

Yeah, yesterday the entire quick launch team I was brought in to unfuck came in hung over. Our planning room is enclosed. Smelled like the Hole in the Wall at closing. I have been onsite there for 5 days and we got a call from FEMA. Um, yeah, how fast can you get all this gear to NC. Team froze. The not hung over one who had a good night sleep read it, assigned it out, notified the other department leads, not knowing who the hell was in charge of each, and started the response document. IT can kiss my ass after yesterday. Fuckers invent tools to invent tools I think. (and I am not allowed to use my personnel laptop, the one they issued sucks and had to be reformatted, and all my planning tools (on excel) are on my personnel one.)

Goods were shipped last night and should all consolidate for distribution by tomorrow morning. In the past I would celebrate with a beer or 10 and get little done tomorrow. Today taking the wife to test drive cars. She asked how we are going to cover the added cost. I laughed and showed her how much I now put away not drinking. Shit adds up yo.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Sucks about the "fun guy" thing.  Try to remember that's about them not you.

Thankfully, most of my friends, including the ones that were college drinking buddies, grew out of that like normal people and are some combination of dgaf whether I drink or not or are happy that I don't anymore.

It’s funny how different groups react differently. I remember the first time going out with college friends after I stopped drinking and how weird I thought it was. Now i go out with my college friends, whoever is ordering the round just add in whatever the n/an option at that bar is for me like it is a normal part of life. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

First @InkaUtexas you're very welcome and I promise the appreciation is mutual. 

So a litte wtf and pics (not the ones you want) in the hopes of bringing some levity to being "the sober guy" and "switching addictions". 

When out with a female who was way too young. She gets here, and rather than ride in my car insists on driving us. (Issue 1) We get out, and despite having told her I don't drink, she hits me with the "At All? I know you said you didn't drink but I didn't think it meant never. I don't want to drink now because I don't like drinking alone."

Not so fast my friends, she DID end up drinking 4 shots of Tequila and 3 Smirnoff Ices over course of a 3-4 hour evening. At the end of the night, after conceding I should drive, changes her mind because she was "Fine". Long story short because I "Got really angry" I did get to drive ultimately. 

So that happened. She decided to stay the night, uneventful, by my design.

Okay.. now..  my addiction with pics to prove it:

20241005_122525.thumb.jpg.927bf4bdd54a3dba47fb3d96f39cf420.jpg20241005_122519.thumb.jpg.0d49b728671e46559c1872e9eec6b984.jpg20241005_122515.thumb.jpg.787e9f2da7e704da582f2a064b61f773.jpg

Edited by BurntEyes
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

First [mention=962]InkaUtexas[/mention] you're very welcome and I promise the appreciation is mutual. 
So a litte wtf and pics (not the ones you want) in the hopes of bringing some levity to being "the sober guy" and "switching addictions". 
When out with a female who was way too young. She gets here, and rather than ride in my car insists on driving us. (Issue 1) We get out, and despite having told her I don't drink, she hits me with the "At All? I know you said you didn't drink but I didn't think it meant never. I don't want to drink now because I don't like drinking alone."
Not so fast my friends, she DID end up drinking 4 shots of Tequila and 3 Smirnoff Ices over course of a 3-4 hour evening. At the end of the night, after conceding I should drive, changes her mind because she was "Fine". Long story short because I "Got really angry" I did get to drive ultimately. 
So that happened. She decided to stay the night, uneventful, by my design.
Okay.. now..  my addiction with pics to prove it:
20241005_122525.thumb.jpg.927bf4bdd54a3dba47fb3d96f39cf420.jpg20241005_122519.thumb.jpg.0d49b728671e46559c1872e9eec6b984.jpg20241005_122515.thumb.jpg.787e9f2da7e704da582f2a064b61f773.jpg

Your date has the weirdest looking tits ever, they look like soda cans.
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 2

2 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Your date has the weirdest looking tits ever, they look like soda cans.

I'm disappointed that you or others didn't point out the lack of "uniformity" or variety of the "cans" I posted in my pics. Surly is really slacking man.

9 minutes ago, BurntEyes said:

I'm disappointed that you or others didn't point out the lack of "uniformity" or variety of the "cans" I posted in my pics. Surly is really slacking man.

I just noticed you love that french shit. Starting to think you are a commie.

3 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

I just noticed you love that french shit. Starting to think you are a commie.

Bro there's bubbly, Celsius, Pepsi, Red Bull, Monster and Liquid Death in there.. 

What isn't there is Topo Chico. I'm a racist not a commie. So missed the mark again Johnny!

2 minutes ago, BurntEyes said:

Bro there's bubbly, Celsius, Pepsi, Red Bull, Monster and Liquid Death in there.. 

What isn't there is Topo Chico. I'm a racist not a commie. So missed the mark again Johnny!

Will send you an emergency case of Topo.

• 3 weeks later...

Flying home from an 11 day vacay.

Had a dream last night where me, Kyrie, and Brisket were tasked with renovating a sorority house that had been hurricane damaged. We were trying to establish things like budget, materials, timeline, scope, and those girls were of zero help. Head scratcher for sure.

Anyway, sober life is good. My break from CR has been calming.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, BearSchlong said:

Flying home from an 11 day vacay.

Had a dream last night where me, Kyrie, and Brisket were tasked with renovating a sorority house that had been hurricane damaged. We were trying to establish things like budget, materials, timeline, scope, and those girls were of zero help. Head scratcher for sure.

Anyway, sober life is good. My break from CR has been calming.

In those girls’ defense, I don’t imagine the three of you guys being tons of constructive help, either. 

2 hours ago, Macanudo said:

I stayed sober through the UGa game.  I figure if I could handle that, I'm probably going to be OK.

May not hurt to set aside a little meditation time before Aggy. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Homercles said:

I absolutely murder the fuck out of the unsweetened HEB Sparkling waters…all flavors.  

Getting to about 4 a day. Could go more for sure.

8 hours ago, Macanudo said:

I stayed sober through the UGa game.  I figure if I could handle that, I'm probably going to be OK.

same here, and at a bar. About 5 people asked me why I was not drinking. Buddy just gave them a look like shut the fuck up man.

I was 1 for 1 with him on the topo chicos.