Hi Fi and Home theater set ups

coolsax

On 7/4/2024 at 10:30 AM, gofuckyourself said:

Don't remember if I have someone here or somewhere else to thank for the recommendation but I picked up some Klipsch speakers. Really enjoying them.

They were inexpensive but they sound damn good to my uneducated ears.

PXL_20240704_151940518_MP2.thumb.jpg.b410b0ebc4f088119f1593c07459efc0.jpg

I love mine.  Need a little more amp to push them harder, but they sound great.

300025603_5775743345778939_4364074373973834776_n.jpg

• Hook 'Em 5

Let’s say none right now. 
It will pair with my Marantz SR7005 (I think that’s the model). Speakers are DefTech ST-L

Honestly if you want something that’s just going to be super reliable where you don’t ever have to worry about it whatsoever, get one of these or this one if you want a preamp built into it (and a slightly better cartridge). The Grand Class models are even nicer but are quite a jump up (I’ll probably upgrade from my SL-1200 MK2 to a 1200GR or 1300G some day).

There is the SL-1200 MK7 too if you want the classic SL look, but it has features you likely don’t need and does not come with a cartridge.

If you like the aesthetic of the belt driven tables better, the Rega P3 (though I don’t like that they don’t play as nice with other cartridge brands) and MoFi Studiodeck or Ultradeck are good options in that range.

For less than this, the nicer Audio Technica/Fluance/U-Turn and Pro-ject tables aren’t bad. Most of these are belt-driven, but AT does have some direct drive models in there, too.
  • Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

My receiver is actually an SR7010 Marantz. Has phono input. Dunno if that changes any recs? I

Let's start at the beginning:  what's your budget?

Regarding your receiver's phono input, a quick google search indicates it's for moving magnet cartridges (MM) only, which are super common, but whatever turntable you buy, make sure it doesn't come with a moving coil cartridge, unless it's specifically called a "high output" model.  I doubt this would be an issue at the lower price points.

Just now, jimmyjazz said:

Let's start at the beginning:  what's your budget?

Regarding your receiver's phono input, a quick google search indicates it's for moving magnet cartridges (MM) only, which are super common, but whatever turntable you buy, make sure it doesn't come with a moving coil cartridge, unless it's specifically called a "high output" model.  I doubt this would be an issue at the lower price points.

Let’s set the very top end of the budget at say $750.

Forgive my ignorance. I know less than zero about turntables and vinyl audio. 

On 7/16/2024 at 8:30 PM, jimmyjazz said:

I probably put this on the wrong thread, sorry for the redundancy.  Any thoughts?

=====

My kids got me a turntable for my birthday.  Nothing fancy, total base model, but I haven't owned a TT for 20 years, so this will be a good chance to dig back into my vinyl collection, which isn't small.

I'm wondering about record and stylus cleaning:  In my day, I was super proficient with a Discwasher brush (+ fluid) and stylus brush.  I see a few knockoffs of that type out there, are any of them any good?  (RCA, EVEO, Big Fudge, etc.).  I have a feeling the RCA product may be the old Discwasher product, since "D4" are in both names.

I own that big yellow plastic thing and honestly I'd just rather give it away, so don't recommend that.

I too own the big yellow plastic thing, which is still is in the box.  One of these days, I'm going to clean a lot of records.

For day-to-day, I just use a carbon anti-static brush on the record as it spins up.  Every couple of records, I'll drop the stylus on a little, cut-out square of Magic Eraser to keep it clean. 

What table did the kids get you?

Edit:  Way old post.  Please forgive the lateness of my reply.

Edited by dcbc

On 7/4/2024 at 5:30 PM, gofuckyourself said:

Don't remember if I have someone here or somewhere else to thank for the recommendation but I picked up some Klipsch speakers. Really enjoying them.

They were inexpensive but they sound damn good to my uneducated ears.

PXL_20240704_151940518_MP2.thumb.jpg.b410b0ebc4f088119f1593c07459efc0.jpg

do you have issue with the speakers causing the turntable to skip on loud passages? -- they're so close to each other and on the same surface

On 7/5/2024 at 4:40 PM, freyguy said:

Is there a set of wired headphones for yall have been satisfied with?  Way too many options to research.

On 7/5/2024 at 9:08 PM, Deej said:

Yeah, every pair of over-the-ear bluetooth headphones has had the option to work wired. 

what did you end up getting.  problem with wireless headphones in wired mode is that it typically sounds worse. the drivers are tuned for the digital amplification from the wireless source and when piped an analog signal its not the best.

sony v6/7506 are classic 'monitor' with good bass response. sennheiser open backs are the popular detailed headphones but they have lots of models and depending on which it requires proper amplification.

On 10/10/2024 at 9:08 PM, Rip76 said:

I love mine.  Need a little more amp to push them harder, but they sound great.

300025603_5775743345778939_4364074373973834776_n.jpg

nice chairs

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, 52-80 said:

do you have issue with the speakers causing the turntable to skip on loud passages? -- they're so close to each other and on the same surface

No. We've "cranked it" maybe once or twice and it was plenty loud without issues.

But I do plan to get stands for those anyway, to make room for a center speaker.

Looks good. Depending how into you want to get, you can upgrade to DIRAC (software) for room correction. Included Audyessy still works well with minimal effort (cover all hard surfaces/ leather furniture with a blanket b/c it is super sensitive to first reflection, and your mic pattern should be no wider than 42inches from MLP at all 8 positions). 

• Hook 'Em 1

I'm gonna be super annoying in here for the next day or so.

So with the AC Infinity stuff, I'm thinking I can just cut a hole at the bottom right of the back of the cabinet with a hole saw.  This will be my air intake as well as my cable exit.  Top left of the back of the cabinet, I'll install one of these for exhaust.  That should be sufficient for just the receiver, right?  Should get good airflow through the cabinet.

spacer.png

1 hour ago, Chewbacca said:

So with the AC Infinity stuff, I'm thinking I can just cut a hole at the bottom right of the back of the cabinet with a hole saw.  This will be my air intake as well as my cable exit.  Top left of the back of the cabinet, I'll install one of these for exhaust.  That should be sufficient for just the receiver, right?  Should get good airflow through the cabinet.

spacer.png

That plan should be fine. 

I would suggest, if you haven't already, take a second to figure out the interior volume, the cfm needed, and the size of intake(s) needed for that cfm.

Then pair the right fan size. A little extra never hurts.

I’d also consider some cheesecloth over the intakes, as a little precaution. Dust is still going to get in, but no need to make a super highway for it. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Chewbacca said:

spacer.png

For convenience's sake, be sure you can use a switched power outlet on the receiver or, otherwise, pick up a controllable extension plug so you can have the fan come on with the system.  What is the noise level of this fan?

5 hours ago, dcbc said:

For convenience's sake, be sure you can use a switched power outlet on the receiver or, otherwise, pick up a controllable extension plug so you can have the fan come on with the system.  What is the noise level of this fan?

The fan is 18db

3 hours ago, msbesq said:

That’s an excellent price. I have a 3700h and paid $1500 for it two years ago

Yeah, it's full price just about everywhere else, so I jumped on the Best Buy deal.

24 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Someday I'll tell y'all a story about high performance miniature subwoofers.  For now, I'll just say "nice floors".  Cherry?  They look like my cherry floors in my old house, very light colored but they darkened over time.

Hickory floors.  

31 minutes ago, thunderlounge said:

Um, yeah. Were you expecting a micro-sub for ants?

I knew it was going to be big.  Just not THIS big.  Wife was not amused when she saw it. The speakers and sub are delivered on a fucking pallet.  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1