Hi Fi and Home theater set ups

coolsax

7 minutes ago, thunderlounge said:

Yes. Cooler air has to replace hot air that exhausts.

No airflow like that and you’re just cycling the same air and making it warmer. 

True, although with that unit on top, i can probably just cut a rectangular hole and leave it open, no?  

27 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

True, although with that unit on top, i can probably just cut a rectangular hole and leave it open, no?  

Not quite.

Cooler air comes in one spot, and out another.

You need the cooler air to flow around your devices so their fans can draw it in and expel the hot air which then exits another location.

both directions in the some spot doesn’t work.

Is the back solid too? Or just a cover from whatever? My cabinet has plastic back panels, for example. (But it also has airflow paths.)

9 minutes ago, thunderlounge said:

Not quite.

Cooler air comes in one spot, and out another.

You need the cooler air to flow around your devices so their fans can draw it in and expel the hot air which then exits another location.

both directions in the some spot doesn’t work.

Is the back solid too? Or just a cover from whatever? My cabinet has plastic back panels, for example. (But it also has airflow paths.)

whole thing is solid wood.  I'm trying to limit the number of holes I have to cut in this thing.

2 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

whole thing is solid wood.  I'm trying to limit the number of holes I have to cut in this thing.

Well, shit.

You have some options, but they're getting thin.

Here's one, since you're looking at a repeater anyway, could you possibly put it in another location all together? And by that I mean anywhere. Here's a few ideas to get you thinking:

- Another room behind the wall the cabinet is on?
- Bottom shelf of an end table in the same room
- Closet
- Shelf somewhere
- Basement

Overall concept is an hdmi cable from the tv to a wall plate. Then an in-wall rated HDMI cable from the back of that plate to the other location and into the back of that plate. Then HDMI from that plate to the AVR. Speak cables, same thing. End result is a clean look, like any other wall plate. Be it an outlet, cable jack, phone jack, ethernet jack, etc.

Shouldn't be terrible. I did the speaker wire part, but didn't need the HDMI part since the AVR is in the cabinet. Might have to look into IR over ethernet, which puts the IR signal on an ethernet cable run between 2 converters. Lets the signal travel further than a typical setup.

So that would be one option. Would save holes in the cabinet, provide a clean look (and it's behind the cabinet too), and should meet the wife factor.

If that isn't an option, then is the inside of the cabinet completely open, or is it compartmentalized?

That will be a deciding factor. Aren't there already holes of some sort? Even a row of round little 1" ones or something?

• Hook 'Em 1

20 minutes ago, thunderlounge said:

Well, shit.

You have some options, but they're getting thin.

Here's one, since you're looking at a repeater anyway, could you possibly put it in another location all together? And by that I mean anywhere. Here's a few ideas to get you thinking:

- Another room behind the wall the cabinet is on?
- Bottom shelf of an end table in the same room
- Closet
- Shelf somewhere
- Basement

Overall concept is an hdmi cable from the tv to a wall plate. Then an in-wall rated HDMI cable from the back of that plate to the other location and into the back of that plate. Then HDMI from that plate to the AVR. Speak cables, same thing. End result is a clean look, like any other wall plate. Be it an outlet, cable jack, phone jack, ethernet jack, etc.

Shouldn't be terrible. I did the speaker wire part, but didn't need the HDMI part since the AVR is in the cabinet. Might have to look into IR over ethernet, which puts the IR signal on an ethernet cable run between 2 converters. Lets the signal travel further than a typical setup.

So that would be one option. Would save holes in the cabinet, provide a clean look (and it's behind the cabinet too), and should meet the wife factor.

If that isn't an option, then is the inside of the cabinet completely open, or is it compartmentalized?

That will be a deciding factor. Aren't there already holes of some sort? Even a row of round little 1" ones or something?

All the cabling is already run (really just a smurf tube from behind the tv to behind the media cabinet for HDMI), and drywall is in, so location is set.  At this point I can't get HDMI run to a different location without spending more than the media cabinet cost.  Clean look is very important.

I'll probably just cut 2 holes in the back.  One for an exhaust fan and one for air and speaker wires, plugs, etc.

spacer.png

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Chewbacca said:

All the cabling is already run (really just a smurf tube from behind the tv to behind the media cabinet for HDMI), and drywall is in, so location is set.  At this point I can't get HDMI run to a different location without spending more than the media cabinet cost.  Clean look is very important.

I'll probably just cut 2 holes in the back.  One for an exhaust fan and one for air and speaker wires, plugs, etc.

spacer.png

Don't feel too bad. I'm actually facing a similar decision with my cabinet, but it's a bigger deal than vent holes in the back.

If you recall from the other thread, I'm in a bit of a pickle to think through about where to put my projector because where/how I planned is just about an inch from being right. Short of it, I'm in a spot where I might need to cut away part of the top of my cabinet. For now it's sitting on top, until I decide what to do with it. I really, really don't want to cut the solid oak top off that damn thing. Paid too much. 😂

If so, I have a plunge router and a bit that matches the existing edges. Stain it the same, and it would be alright. But I really, really, don't want to cut the top if I don't have to, and am working through possible alternatives. If I could just slide the cabinet back to right off the wall, I'd be good. However, there's a floor register that would be under the back right foot. I'll pass on resting a corner of a 200# cabinet on it.

It's ok for now in the short term, but I'll need to do something with it before too much longer.

Don't feel too bad. I'm actually facing a similar decision with my cabinet, but it's a bigger deal than vent holes in the back.
If you recall from the other thread, I'm in a bit of a pickle to think through about where to put my projector because where/how I planned is just about an inch from being right. Short of it, I'm in a spot where I might need to cut away part of the top of my cabinet. For now it's sitting on top, until I decide what to do with it. I really, really don't want to cut the solid oak top off that damn thing. Paid too much.
If so, I have a plunge router and a bit that matches the existing edges. Stain it the same, and it would be alright. But I really, really, don't want to cut the top if I don't have to, and am working through possible alternatives. If I could just slide the cabinet back to right off the wall, I'd be good. However, there's a floor register that would be under the back right foot. I'll pass on resting a corner of a 200# cabinet on it.
It's ok for now in the short term, but I'll need to do something with it before too much longer.
Oof. Can you get new floor registers that can handle the weight? They make steel ones.

I’ve got steel ones now. Just put em in with the new floor.

It would probably be fine, but I don’t want half that vent blocked is the biggest part.

And shifting to just off it is just enough of an offset to look unbalanced across the front of all of it. Guess I could slide the screen a hair to the left to compensate. Probably would drive me nuts though. 

• Like 1