Movie theaters officially dead

Michael Knight

On 6/9/2024 at 12:28 PM, mdleast said:

I am/was also an "only at the Alamo" customer since they opened here 13 years ago.  Beyond the no talking or get kicked out being a real thing, the biggest draw for me was always that they fostered an environment that going to see the movie you were at was a big thing (in addition to screening more indie-type movies you are probably not gonna find at most multiplexes).  Always made a point to get to the movie early to watch their curated preshow of clips related to the movie/cast.  Their food/drink menu definitely declined over the years imo but that was never the hook that got me loyal to them.

Did you ever see any of the Foleyvision shows? I saw their productions of Turkish Star Wars and Turkish Wizard of Oz, they were fucking great.

https://www.austinchronicle.com/screens/2004-02-20/197912/

• Hook 'Em 1

there are a couple of Alamos here in Denver but they're pretty far from us, and compared to the super swanky theaters near us they don't measure up.

we've probably seen more movies living here the past two years than we had the five years prior to moving. one is an AMC with a full bar, some not bad food and great popcorn which is my mate's jam. the seats are all recline, heated (who knew that would be nice here 😄) and very comfortable.

the other is a Harkins theater which is badass - they have a CineXL theater that is basically a more comfortable IMAX, it's huge but the seats are super spaced out (kinda like what Kevin Smith describes above), the sound system is just stupid crisp (we had no problem with Oppenheimer like so many people reported). it's one of those with a big curtain that opens, makes it really feel like an event. also full bar, comfy recline seats and good popcorn. we love catching big movies in this theater...and a matinee ticket is only about $11!

it's moderately busy at times, but certainly not anywhere near full (well Barbie, Oppenheimer, and Dune2 were pretty full)...i just really, really hope it sticks around, as we love movies in theater and really enjoy these!

• Hook 'Em 1

I've never been to Alamo or a dine-in theater. There's a Cinemark near work that I usually go to that has XL or whatever and it's damn good. Think there's a Harkins over in Alliance.

• Hook 'Em 1

16 hours ago, mchookem said:

the other is a Harkins theater which is badass - they have a CineXL theater that is basically a more comfortable IMAX, it's huge but the seats are super spaced out (kinda like what Kevin Smith describes above), the sound system is just stupid crisp (we had no problem with Oppenheimer like so many people reported). it's one of those with a big curtain that opens, makes it really feel like an event. also full bar, comfy recline seats and good popcorn. we love catching big movies in this theater...and a matinee ticket is only about $11!

I've been to that theater and it is great. 

I was in Fort Collins last week and saw Furiosa, for a second time, at The Lyric. Now that is cool venue. It's like Meow Wolf, Alamo, Mohawk, a food truck, and a dive bar had an orgy baby.  It was probably the worst and one of the best theaters I've ever seen a movie in.  On the floor were old couches and coffee tables and above were traditional seats.  Grabbed a nice IPA before the show.  When we got out of the movie, they were hosting Bike Prom which appeared to be an excuse to ride your bike there, smoke as much weed in public as you can and get drunk AF.  It was quite a fun scene.  They also had an outdoor screen and showed The Big Lebowski a few days later.  All three movie screens had stages in front of them since they're a live music venue also.

Did you ever see any of the Foleyvision shows? I saw their productions of Turkish Star Wars and Turkish Wizard of Oz, they were fucking great.
https://www.austinchronicle.com/screens/2004-02-20/197912/

I remember seeing the promos for those but it never synced up when we were down in Austin. I remember some of the more experimental programming like that from back in the 4th and Colorado days like Owen screening sex ed films, the series where they had the audience bring in their own short films, the very limited series where they showed bad movies and actually encouraged the audience to heckle and in addition to the original iterations of Weird Wednesday and Terror Thursday