The WNBA is BACK!!!!!

Uncle Boobs

Posted (edited)
On 6/1/2024 at 3:22 PM, definitely not derka said:

IMG_6495.thumb.jpeg.74e8d9519b6af90fd8f3cc9a15504c3a.jpeg

wait, honest question- the wnba has a trans player actively playing? i had no idea that was the case.

Looks like bioloogical female, but there's a lot to unpack in her/his/their Wiki bio

In 2017, Clarendon married Jessica Dolan. Clarendon and Dolan announced the birth of "#babyC" on December 25, 2020, and have not released the name or assigned sex at birth of the baby. Clarendon later stated they were raising "Baby C" with gender expansiveness.

Circa 2020, Clarendon came out as non-binary. Clarendon uses she/her, they/them and he/him pronouns. In 2015, Clarendon identified as "black, gay, female, non-cisgender and Christian".

In 2021, Clarendon underwent chest masculinization surgery to remove breast tissue.

Edited by DixonHur
  • Like 1

I know its hip to hate Angel Reese but she is playing a great game.   Has Jonquel Jones (a former MVP) in jail.   Completely frustrated on both ends.

Oh and Chennedy Carter is a fucking baller.    15 pt in 13 first half mins off the bench.

it’s not hip not hate angel reese, she’s an inherently, purposely hateable sports figure. she has said aloud many times that she embraces being the villain. she’s just not good at it. in fact she sucks at it. and her “woe is me” act the first time she ever faced backlash was pathetic. she’s a fake tough guy who wants special treatment. she sucks. and that’s coming for. someone who originally (and still does) defend her and her lsu teammates’ right to talk shit and celebrate and get crunk. but the more camera time she’s gotten since then the more she’s exposed herself to be a needy, hypocritical, shit talking female jabroni who draws zero eyeballs to the wnba.

• Hook 'Em 1

She draws plenty to the W.   She doesn't draw you and again that's fine.   

Your insistence on making over the top and uninformed generalized statements stated as if they are fact based on your narrow minded opinion is part of the reason you end up with people disliking interacting with you here.   I hadn't added this 129885489076th version of you to my ignore list but I can see its gonna happen.   

7 hours ago, definitely not derka said:

it’s not hip not hate angel reese, she’s an inherently, purposely hateable sports figure. she has said aloud many times that she embraces being the villain. she’s just not good at it. in fact she sucks at it. and her “woe is me” act the first time she ever faced backlash was pathetic. she’s a fake tough guy who wants special treatment. she sucks. and that’s coming for. someone who originally (and still does) defend her and her lsu teammates’ right to talk shit and celebrate and get crunk. but the more camera time she’s gotten since then the more she’s exposed herself to be a needy, hypocritical, shit talking female jabroni who draws zero eyeballs to the wnba.

The comments by you and others in both thread indicate differently on the hating Angel Reese.

Do you have a link for the bold part? Or could you be conflating that with her saying she’s willing to be the bad guy to Clark’s “good guy for the growth of women’s basketball”? That doesn’t sound like embracing in being a villain a la Draymond. 

53 minutes ago, Pancho said:

The comments by you and others in both thread indicate differently on the hating Angel Reese.

Do you have a link for the bold part? Or could you be conflating that with her saying she’s willing to be the bad guy to Clark’s “good guy for the growth of women’s basketball”? That doesn’t sound like embracing in being a villain a la Draymond. 

Idk if it's cuz you are so close to the sport or what, but it's pretty obvious to those who aren't what's going on here. 

Angel Reese is a whiney bitch and an attention whore who regularly gets woe is me and talks about how hard her life is or whatever shit no one wants to hear. She represents the WNBA how most people view it. 

Then you have Caitlyn Clark who is an upbeat charmingly cute white girl who has a super polished PR persona and is team team team and thank everyone for everything. Tremendous opportunity politics politics politics answer and then just posts pictures of her being a cool ass chick who is chill and funny.

No one wants to root for a fucking whiney loser bitch who has more obvious character flaws than a poorly written soap opera villain. Everyone wants to root for the cute white girl with the aww shucks persona who drains the occasional freak 3.  

• Hook 'Em 1

51 minutes ago, immamac said:

Then you have Caitlyn Clark who is an upbeat charmingly cute white girl who has a super polished PR persona and is team team team and thank everyone for everything. Tremendous opportunity politics politics politics answer and then just posts pictures of her being a cool ass chick who is chill and funny.

Everyone wants to root for the cute white girl with the aww shucks persona who drains the occasional freak 3.  

You just described Aja Wilson yet she doesn’t get the same attention nor does “everyone” want to root for her. Why not? 

Same can be said for Candace Parker when she was in the league. 

I’d also argue your example could apply to Breanna Stewart and Kelsey Plum, neither of which get the same treatment. 

Idk Shrug GIF by Chaz French

• Hook 'Em 2

The hard truth is because not many people care about the WNBA (at least not yet), so they/we don't know who any of the people you mentioned are ..  aside from Parker but for most of us that was from her days at Tennessee, not the WNBA.

People care, as much as that's possible for women's basketball, about Caitlin Clark and they "know" the history between her and Reese from 2 years ago in the NCAA final. 

I think the WNBA wanted to turn that history between them into a Magic/Bird type rivalry, but Reese decided to become a bond villain instead.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Pancho said:

Why not? 

Because CC is like Steph  Curry. Before Steph came along, nobody shot the three like he did with that volume and accuracy. He literally changed the way the NBA is played. people liked rooting for a little guy in a game of giants. At his peak he was hugely popular, and incredibly marketable to the general fanbase. He also did a good job of not being the typical NBA dumbfuck like Ja, Kyrie, etc... Just dont be dumb as fuck isnt a huge hurdle, but one that a lot of these dipshits can't clear. 

https://thesportsrush.com/nba-news-despite-his-157000000-followers-lebron-james-gets-eclipsed-by-stephen-curry-as-he-features-in-27-27-of-the-highest-rated-nba-games-over-past-8-years/

Same thing with CC. Nobody outside the pathetically small WNBA fan base gives a fuck about any of the other players you mentioned because it was always just more of the same style  of boring ass layup/bounce-pass shitball. CC comes along doing things that had not been seen before. And like Curry, she takes care to craft her image in a way that is generally not controversial, so marketers were quick to jump on the hype train. 

To me anyway, she is unique. She is the only player (white,  black, tall, short, hot, ugly) that ever made me voluntarily watch a womens basketball game in its entirety. I didnt give a fuck who won or lost, I just wanted to see if she would go for 50. If she fails to continue that magic in the WNBA, this whole stupid "controversy" will disappear and the league can go back to flying Spirit Airlines once the CC "boost" fades away. 

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, Pancho said:

You just described Aja Wilson yet she doesn’t get the same attention nor does “everyone” want to root for her. Why not? 

I’d also argue your example could apply to Breanna Stewart and Kelsey Plum, neither of which get the same treatment. 

These are not the same, or really close.  Wilson is a great player in the WNBA but it is not aesthetically pleasing to watch or any reason to follow.  CC's game looks like an And 1 mixtape by comparison.  There have been many "better" WNBA players now and in the past, but CC is on another level skill wise than any before her.  That is why NBA fans are taking notice.  Super efficient layups, jumpers and average athleticism are just not entertaining to watch.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, immamac said:

Idk if it's cuz you are so close to the sport or what, but it's pretty obvious to those who aren't what's going on here. 

Angel Reese is a whiney bitch and an attention whore who regularly gets woe is me and talks about how hard her life is or whatever shit no one wants to hear. She represents the WNBA how most people view it. 

No one wants to root for a fucking whiney loser bitch who has more obvious character flaws than a poorly written soap opera villain. Everyone wants to root for the cute white girl with the aww shucks persona who drains the occasional freak 3.  

Yeah but be honest. You and all the other Clark fans(I'm one too) thought the WNBA was a complete joke and she would just come in and dominate from day one. That's not happening and now you have to make a bunch of excuses about other girls being big jealous of her to cope with your take being wrong and that maybe the players that were already playing in that league were better than you thought.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, ChickenSandwich said:

These are not the same, or really close.  Wilson is a great player in the WNBA but it is not aesthetically pleasing to watch or any reason to follow.  CC's game looks like an And 1 mixtape by comparison.  There have been many "better" WNBA players now and in the past, but CC is on another level skill wise than any before her.  That is why NBA fans are taking notice.  Super efficient layups, jumpers and average athleticism are just not entertaining to watch.

To each his own but Wilson's game is tight.   More importantly, she's proven it on every level.  Multi-time MVP and multi-time WNBA champion, gold medalist and NCAA champ

And CC is very nice.   Her skill level is not on another level.    The one thing she does do that really hasnt been done before is shoot relatively consistently from distance but even that is matched by Ionescu.

She doesn't dribble or pass better than Chelsea Gray, Sue Bird or even Ticha Pinechero.   She is shooting 35.7% from the floor and 29% from 3 so I'm not even sure where the "super efficient" stuff comes from.   She's 42nd in the league in 3P% but has taken the 3rd most 3s/gm in the league.

This is what I mean about people who proudly dont watch the W coming and making statements about the W like they know what they are talking about.   It's cool that CC is your introduction and who you are interested in but isn't new or better than MANY players current or past.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Pam Cummings said:

Yeah but be honest. You and all the other Clark fans(I'm one too) thought the WNBA was a complete joke and she would just come in and dominate from day one. That's not happening and now you have to make a bunch of excuses about other girls being big jealous of her to cope with your take being wrong and that maybe the players that were already playing in that league were better than you thought.

BINGO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

40 minutes ago, Blotto said:

Because CC is like Steph  Curry.

39 minutes ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Wilson is a great player in the WNBA but it is not aesthetically pleasing to watch 

Interesting…

1 hour ago, Pam Cummings said:

I think it is clear the WNBA is about size and physicality right now over finesse.  

Posted (edited)
42 minutes ago, Pancho said:

Interesting…

when you are a hammer, everything...

music video 80s GIF

But yes, I think there is a large group who would rather watch 3s from the logo than below the rim layups, because pro sports are entertainment first (not a charity, or title 9 product).

Edited by ChickenSandwich

2 hours ago, Pancho said:

52 minutes ago, Pancho said:

Interesting…

Why does Lamelo Ball sell more shoes than Luka?  Karl Malone was a great player, arguably the best PF of all time.  Never moved the needle for me.  Zion, who isn't half the player he is, does.  His game is more exciting.  Same with a guy like Ja Morant, who is super popular.  I love watching him play.

CC plays a dynamic game.  It's not racial, if that's what you're hinting.  If it were, we'd all be wearing Taurasi or Breanna Stewart jerseys.

All you need to know is that this thread was started 4 years ago and didn't hit 6 pages until CC was drafted... that includes 3 full seasons of play, and Griner's imprisonment in Russia. 

We've now had 2 pages added to this thread in 1.5 months.  Which shows both that CC is a transformational force, and that she still might not be enough to move the needle in terms of fan interest.

However, I think in 10-15 years, things could be different because of the effect she'll have on little girls with big dreams.  

4 minutes ago, DixonHur said:

All you need to know is that this thread was started 4 years ago and didn't hit 6 pages until CC was drafted... that includes 3 full seasons of play, and Griner's imprisonment in Russia. 

We've now had 2 pages added to this thread in 1.5 months.  Which shows both that CC is a transformational force, and that she still might not be enough to move the needle in terms of fan interest.

However, I think in 10-15 years, things could be different because of the effect she'll have on little girls with big dreams.  

Meh, almost all of of you are just talking about CC though.   If all you all are interested in is CC then really what difference does it make?   Most of you all still say, "the league/game sucks" "I dont know and dont care to know anyone else", "I'll never watch a game that CC isnt playing" etc.  

19 minutes ago, d2o said:

Meh, almost all of of you are just talking about CC though.   If all you all are interested in is CC then really what difference does it make?   Most of you all still say, "the league/game sucks" "I dont know and dont care to know anyone else", "I'll never watch a game that CC isnt playing" etc.  

That was my point in saying that even she may not be enough to move the needle for the WNBA now.  

2 hours ago, Underdog said:

The fuck is wrong with the bounce pass?  A lost art, imo. 

I agree.  I don't know much about the woman's game other than a few Lady Longhorns games back in the day.  But I was an assistant on my oldest's team.  I had nothing to offer coaching-wise except rebounding balls during warm-ups and giving out snacks.  But my daughter can't shoot very well.  Only 2 good shooters on her team.  But we tried to work on bounce passing because at their age, it's deceiving to the other team.  They all try to do close-in chest passes and some girl gets in between.  But a distant bounce pass is lethal and can advance the ball much farther while the other girls are twirling their hair.  

Anyway, so I queue up some WNBA games to show her what I mean after we practice IRL.  And sure as fuck, 20 minutes later...not a single fucking bounce pass.  Old man yells at bounce cloud. 

2 hours ago, ChickenSandwich said:

But yes, I think there is a large group who would rather watch 3s from the logo than below the rim layups, because pro sports are entertainment first (not a charity, or title 9 product).

I don’t disagree with you here, not at all.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, ChickenSandwich said:

when you are a hammer, everything...

music video 80s GIF

well the WNBA is kind of a charity.  I don't think it really matters if anyone considers it good or bad.

Yeah, we can get into a whole thread derail of the economics of it (we kind of already have).  I'm glad there's no franchise honestly in Austin or San Antonio, because I'd feel obligated to take my daughters to games at ridiculous expense.  We get to enough Women's Longhorn games that they can see what female athleticism looks like plus high-level teamwork.  But yeah, my oldest wants Simone Biles gymnast gear or Caitlin Clark shoes one day, I'm all in despite it being over-priced, poorly-made shit from Malaysia.  Where she'll probably have to go to for health care one day.  

It's kind of like just scrolling past posts from handles you don't like on here.  If you don't like the WNBA, you could opt not to watch.  

Lobo rant aside, it is pretty weird how much shit Caitlin is getting after being in the league for 20 minutes.  

Posted (edited)
26 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

If you don't like the WNBA, you could opt not to watch.  

Spoiler: Something on the order of 99.9% of America has selected this option.  

My problem isn't with the league existing.  I hate regular season baseball (sorry everyone), so I'd love it if the WNBA could put a watchable product on the court to help me pass the time between the NBA finals and football.  But that's just not the case yet, IMO.  

So, the petty jealousy some of these ladies are showing toward the one person making them relevant is frustrating.  She can't do it alone, for sure, but this is the most attention the sport has gotten in its 26-year history, and they treat her like a pariah.

Edited by DixonHur
  • Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, Pam Cummings said:

I don't like her or the wnba. I think it's a garbage product and have watched all of maybe 8 minutes total including highlights. 

It's just not that fucking hard to figure out what's going on. You don't need a galaxy brain to figure out that cute white girl who is well spoken and easy to root for is a big commercial success and has all the media machine behind her. I have only ever said that the foul that wasn't a basketball play and a straight blind crosscheck was bad and needs to stop everything else is fine. I never even thought she was all that special, I'm more fascinated by the carry from her NIL and it's transition into pro sports as endorsements as a person who is deeply involved in NIL. 

1 hour ago, DixonHur said:

Spoiler: Something on the order of 99.9% of America has selected this option.  

My problem isn't with the league existing.  I hate regular season baseball (sorry everyone), so I'd love it if the WNBA could put a watchable product on the court to help me pass the time between the NBA finals and football.  But that's just not the case yet, IMO.  

So, the petty jealousy some of these ladies are showing toward the one person making them relevant is frustrating.  She can't do it alone, for sure, but this is the most attention the sport has gotten in its 26-year history, and they treat her like a pariah.

Well, I mean you're only watching one of the worst teams in the league.   Watch the Aces, Liberty or Sun.   Hell, the Wings are the team in TX.  They have two very good players in Arika Ogunbawale and Satou Sabally. Watch them.

7 minutes ago, d2o said:

Well, I mean you're only watching one of the worst teams in the league.   Watch the Aces, Liberty or Sun.   Hell, the Wings are the team in TX.  They have two very good players in Arika Ogunbawale and Satou Sabally. Watch them.

sports fans everywhere have already decided that they don’t want to watch those teams either, because the truth of the matter is that every single large HS in america has *football* players who don’t even hoop that could not only be all stars in the wnba, but also the most entertaining player in the league from day one. 17 year old boys who don’t even play the sport and can’t hit a jumper to save their lives could step into the league today and be unstoppable. that’s not a product that anybody wants to watch.

8 hours ago, Pam Cummings said:

Can you point out the people who thought she would come in and dominate right away?  

And what does "dominate" even mean? 

Caitlin's WNBA Rank:

Minutes per Game - #13 (overall), #1 (rookies)

Points per Game - #18 (overall), #1 (rookies)

Rebounds per Game - #28 (overall), #3 (rookies)

Assists per Game - #4 (overall), #1 (rookies)

Steals per Game - #31 (overall), #2 (rookies)

Overall Efficiency - #26 (overall), #1 (rookies)

Keep in mind, the veteran players in the league had a full offseason.  Caitlin finished a full college basketball season on April 7th, was drafted on the 15th and played her first pro game on May 9th.  It's not June 5th... give the woman a chance to get her feet under her.

19 minutes ago, d2o said:

I've actually mostly watched the Aces because I travel a lot back and forth to Vegas (I work in the casino business), and it's often on in the sportsbook.

Posted (edited)

She's having a monster season.   Should've won her 3rd straight MVP last yr.  Still got better and should make up for that this yr and get #3

Edited by d2o

5 hours ago, BeardIP said:

I actually do agree with you, and what you are insinuating: Caitlin Clark is a huge hit and has driven the eyeballs, ratings, media attention and business attention (e.g. sponsorships, charter planes, etc.) because she has captured a mainstream (e.g. white) audience. And those new eyeballs are rooting for her.

It's the exact definition of "representation" in the "representation matters" that BIPOC use, but the inverse: White, hetero, middle-class woman and mainstream America who have NOT been fans of WNBA feel "seen". It's like the Ariel being black thing, but opposite. A white, non-gay, non-european gal who is cooking the traditional WNBA makes for good drama.

There have been plenty of white American stars in the WNBA (including MVPs of the league) and no one gave a shit about any of them.  Caitlin introduced an entirely new style of women's basketball and dominated college basketball in doing so.  That separates her from everyone who came before her.   

• Hook 'Em 4

6 minutes ago, alincoln said:

There have been plenty of white American stars in the WNBA (including MVPs of the league) and no one gave a shit about any of them.  Caitlin introduced an entirely new style of women's basketball and dominated college basketball in doing so.  That separates her from everyone who came before her.   

Agreed.   I actually think taurasi, della Donne, ionescu brought a different style.  None are a big hit though Sabrina’s shoe is popular with nba players

anyone remember tischa penacheiro ?  She was different. Nobody cared

Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, BeardIP said:

White, hetero, middle-class woman who is really great at basketball. That's a unicorn in the WNBA.

And American eyeballs, both men and women, (and media/money) have woken up and are here for it.

Bird, Stewart, taurasi, Della Donne, lobo. Ionescu  All great.  All white.  

cameron brink.  Who I think is way hotter than Caitlin is white. 

I think it’s timing and style of play and yea maybe last years ncaa game with reese

i think if Caitlin was black she’d still be a huge deal.  I also think wnba players may be more accepting of her. 

Edited by closetohumping

So in order for White people to be invested in women’s basketball, you must have a White woman who is straight and middle class? 

So far, that description fits the following:

- Sabrina Ionescu (who Kobe loooooveed)

- Kelsey Plum

- Cameron Brink

- Lindsay Whalen

- Lauren Jackson (Aussie mate)

And this is just without googling. So why didn’t the above White players get the treatment Clark is getting? 

*Breanna Stewart, she’s White and a baller but she’s gay so I guess supporting gays is illegal now?

On 6/5/2024 at 8:54 AM, immamac said:

Reese reminds me of Sha’Carri Richardson in terms of shit talking but then crying when people call her on BS. 

I have no issue if Reese wants to play the heel, don’t whine when people boo you and call you out on your BS. 

• Hook 'Em 2

24 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

cameron brink.  Who I think is way hotter than Caitlin is white. 

Not really setting the bar all that high with that statement.  She's basically the female Larry Bird in the looks department too.

23 minutes ago, Pancho said:

So in order for White people to be invested in women’s basketball, you must have a White woman who is straight and middle class? 

So far, that description fits the following:

- Sabrina Ionescu (who Kobe loooooveed)

- Kelsey Plum

- Cameron Brink

- Lindsay Whalen

- Lauren Jackson (Aussie mate)

And this is just without googling. So why didn’t the above White players get the treatment Clark is getting? 

*Breanna Stewart, she’s White and a baller but she’s gay so I guess supporting gays is illegal now?

IMO, Caitlin's popularity, as it relates to her whiteness is after the fact.  She became popular for breaking records and leading her team to the NCAA finals 2 years in a row at a time when women's sports were seeing increased attention (mostly Volleyball).  

The fact that she's white may have taken her endorsement potential from an 8 to a 10, but she probably would have gotten a shoe deal as a black woman too. 

@Pancho has likely forgotten more about the WNBA than I will ever know, but I seem to recall increased interest in the league when Candace Parker came out of college too.  It just didn't stick, because the overall product on the court was bad.  But I think she was one of the highest earning female athletes for a while.

• Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Pancho said:

not for me, and not for plenty of other people i’d suspect. the first non-Longhorn female hooper who grabbed my attention was seimone augustus, all the way back when she was in HS. her ability, her play style, her swagger- all of it was captivating. if she came out today i think she’d be a star.

for me it’s the same with cc. it’s her play style, her elite vision, he ability to shoot from 25 feet, and to drop 40 on any given night. she has a very watchable play style and she has been promoted like crazy by espn.

now then- at the same time as cc is blowing up, angel reese and her LSU team are also being heavily promoted by espn. that’s a fact. and they even won the national title. so what’s the difference? it’s two simple, obvious things: angel reese’s play style is about as fun to watch as a middle school parochial league, and then she talks a whole bunch of shit, she plays the villain role, then turns around and plays the victim role, then tells everyone how she props up her league just as much as cc does, etc, etc. in other words she’s not fun to watch and her personality is fucking terrible. it has absolutely nothing to do with her race, her gender, or her sexual orientation. 

Edited by definitely not derka