The WNBA is BACK!!!!!

Uncle Boobs

I think they wanted a G5 and officiated G4 to get one. 

Then in G5 they wanted the Liberty to win but realized halfway through that the Liberty probably weren't going to win and had to cook it a bit. 

The shit at the end of G5 was worse but I feel like the better team lost both games. Minny was bad in OT last night.

Bottom line they just need to let them play the game and have a more consistent whistle. I get that you have series-extending crews and HCA refereeing but this was a lot worse than that. The amount of calls with less than 5 seconds left the entire series was bananas. And they clearly let the coaches bitching about calls affect the refereeing. 

31 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Oh no, she deserved it. Her finals stats were insane. She may have shot 50/40/90 during the finals if I recall correctly. Or close to it. 

Great shooting #s. Stew didn't shoot well but led them in pts/rebs/stl/blk. 

They were about equally deserving imo. One invaluable on D one on O.

Collier was the best player in the series.

39 minutes ago, ztejas said:

I think they wanted a G5 and officiated G4 to get one. 

Then in G5 they wanted the Liberty to win but realized halfway through that the Liberty probably weren't going to win and had to cook it a bit. 

The shit at the end of G5 was worse but I feel like the better team lost both games. Minny was bad in OT last night.

Bottom line they just need to let them play the game and have a more consistent whistle. I get that you have series-extending crews and HCA refereeing but this was a lot worse than that. The amount of calls with less than 5 seconds left the entire series was bananas. And they clearly let the coaches bitching about calls affect the refereeing. 

The series felt scripted to me. Best scenario for the WNBA was a 5 game series, with NY winning in NY.

The referees in women's college ball are better than what we saw (at times) in this series.

With CC and the increase in attention to women's sports growing, you shouldn't be jacking with the legitimacy of the league.

You could hear Lobo not buying it.

• Hook 'Em 1

17 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Great shooting #s. Stew didn't shoot well but led them in pts/rebs/stl/blk. 

They were about equally deserving imo. One invaluable on D one on O.

Collier was the best player in the series.

"Liberty forward Jonquel Jones was named Finals MVP after leading New York with 17 points in Game 5. Jones, who was +1000 to win MVP at the start of the series, tied Diana Taurasi for the third-most career points in the Finals with 320.

Collier was by far the best player.

26 minutes ago, TommysTinyTowels said:

"Liberty forward Jonquel Jones was named Finals MVP after leading New York with 17 points in Game 5. Jones, who was +1000 to win MVP at the start of the series, tied Diana Taurasi for the third-most career points in the Finals with 320.

Collier was by far the best player.

100%  I have complete respect for what I've seen from this whole playoff run.

33 minutes ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Will be interesting to see if the "investors" cave.  The bump from TV money looks to get them profitable, but expansion teams and higher salaries could erase that quickly.

How do you demand more money when you are still losing millions after 25 years?

The jump in TV revenue is massive ($60M -> $200M) compared to latest figures I read for the 2024 loss($40M). So the players association is probably wise to renegotiate as soon as possible while all that new cash is getting divvied up. I also fully expect them to massively overreach and make a stink about it when they don't get what they ask for.  A work stoppage would bring the lulz. 

Edited by Blotto
  • Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

5 hours ago, Blotto said:

The jump in TV revenue is massive ($60M -> $200M) compared to latest figures I read for the 2024 loss($40M). So the players association is probably wise to renegotiate as soon as possible while all that new cash is getting divvied up. I also fully expect them to massively overreach and make a stink about it when they don't get what they ask for.  A work stoppage would bring the lulz. 

Here’s ESPN’s take on the story.

https://www.espn.com/wnba/story/_/id/41927950/wnba-players-opt-cba-face-potential-work-stoppage

8 hours ago, PittsburghTiger said:

Their take and the player reps words show this will not end well for the league. The product isn't good enough to not require deep pockets to grow right now. Making large financial demands when the league has lost so much money is ludicrous. Yeah the players want to get their share, but the investors taking ALL the risk would like to get some of the 100s of millions they have poured into the venture before being held hostage for more financial demands.