The WNBA is BACK!!!!!

Uncle Boobs

Reece’s game is the same game that fans have rejected for 25 years as not entertaining. What might kill the CC hype the fastest is the lack of watchable talent league wide. Clark needs to be closer to the median player than the best (she’s not far off, and entertainment wise is already #1) for the league to keep and grow the new eyeballs

I was today years old when I learned that the WNBA commish was the former CEO of Deloitte. Great bonafides to run the WNBA in this unprecedented growth phase and not to squander it.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Reece’s game is the same game that fans have rejected for 25 years as not entertaining. What might kill the CC hype the fastest is the lack of watchable talent league wide. Clark needs to be closer to the median player than the best (she’s not far off, and entertainment wise is already #1) for the league to keep and grow the new eyeballs

I agree about Reese's game being boring and what casual fans have rejected forever in the women's game.  It's under the rim, it's mostly based off instinctual play with a lack of athleticism (in comparison), it's slow, her jump shot is ugly as shit and she misses way more easy shots than she should.  For the women's game, she absolutely is a junk yard dog.  An elite rebounder and energy player who is a double double machine, but casual fans don't care for it, because she jumps 6 inches to get 90% of her rebounds.  It's boring to them.

Clark's game is fun (like Steph's), it's fast, it's eye popping.  She has a pretty shot and shoots from everywhere although she misses too often.  She's a fantastic passer and runs around at a seemingly blurry pace.  While her game isn't necessarily athletic either, because it's really quick and fast and has the occasional dribble drive where you can break some ankles.  Curry pretty much set up this type of game and now it's translated to a player. 

I think this is also why you see some backlash to CC's game from some old WNBA heads.  How dare you not like our game and then come in here with your new wave opinions and preferences.  I get it.  Steph's game had the same type of backlash, it was not nearly as prevalent but it was there and folks forget, but it was the future and old NBA heads who were like, "feed the post", you have to "play inside out" and "stop shooting some many 3's" had to either reconsider their stances or just be retired because they didn't get the new NBA..... Same thing here.  There are going to be more players like Clark and the WNBA should want that.

Edited by Patrick Bateman
  • Hook 'Em 3

1 minute ago, TommysTinyTowels said:

Rickea is smoke. Watched her play the other night, great game and she's beautiful. Almost came to UT, played for Vic at Miss. State.

Yeah she is from Detroit too so I've followed her for a little while now.   She was clearly a pro when she was playing in college.   Clearly better than every one else.

• Hook 'Em 1

I had a couple pairs of customs in my cart for a while now.   Its a good looking shoe with some nice options so I'm not surprised its selling well.

4 hours ago, d2o said:

I had a couple pairs of customs in my cart for a while now.   Its a good looking shoe with some nice options so I'm not surprised its selling well.

Full pic...

image.png.f5372c51682f92fb4753cd5608670dd9.png

2 hours ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Look at the score.... look at the time.  If you understand basketball, it will become apparent.

But what am I missing re: stat padding? Did she have 9 points and needed a bucket to get to double double and the foul got her to the line?

1 hour ago, Vegas64 said:

But what am I missing re: stat padding? Did she have 9 points and needed a bucket to get to double double and the foul got her to the line?

Yeah they were up 7 I think.   Normal situations teams would just hold the ball and run out the clock.    They didnt.  They dumped it in to let her try to score.   I think the defender fouled on purpose too.   Not a good look at all.     Not the first time someone has padded stats to keep a streak alive and wont be the last but its still not a good look. 

This was a "camp day" game and there were a lot of kids there.  The fans clearly wanted her to get another score to keep her streak going.

• Hook 'Em 2

15 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Its too bad that this is all she is known for right now.    She will get her shot but with them having Sky Dig she doesnt even get off the bench.

On 6/25/2024 at 6:46 PM, d2o said:

Interesting.   I've seen a lot of people online calling for her to play since she was a very good defender in college and the Fever defense is quite lacking.

She got signed by the Mercury this morning.  Playing decent minutes tonight against her old team.

• Like 1

Fever blasting a severely under-staffed PHX team 55-34 at half.   PHX playing without Tarausi and couple others, the Griner got hurt and will be out for the rest of the game.

10 minutes ago, Buzzrock said:

PHX on a 29-4 run

Yeah without multiple starters that group gave a great effort.  Kahleah Copper went for 36 pts and they made it a game in the last few mins.   Just didnt have enough to finish the comeback

3 minutes ago, Buzzrock said:

Clark had about six chances to break the franchise single game assist record but her teammates couldn’t make a bucket. 

Her 3rd 13 ast game of the season.

Some big games tonight already.

Copper with 36

Aja with 33/18 rebs and 5 blks

CC with 20/13 asts

Aaliyah Boston with 21/13 rebs

Kelsey Mitchell with 28

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, bad_teammate said:

Also nasty and worth watching, but entirely different.

Westbrook w/o the appeal and athleticism?

Barkley talks about high stats players on shitty teams.  Perhaps the WNBA equivalent of Barkley needs to step up.

13 minutes ago, Deej said:

How many of those turnovers are her teammates not catching passes that hit them in the hands?

Plenty I'm sure.  Not enough to set the all time record in just over half a season. If you're watching she has way more that are her fault.   She tries to do too much too often.   

She will get better but she avg'd 4.5/gm through her college career.     Its just how she plays.   Her usage was much higher in CBB which could also be a factor there.  Its quite a bit lower in the W so far and her TOs are still up.  

Her play is making up for the TOs right now but she still needs to improve.   It will be interesting to see how it effects her team in crunch time situations as they get better and play in bigger games.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, d2o said:

Wonder how this going to work with Nike being an actual part owner of the league

Wonder how that is going to sit with the rest of the league, with them choosing a presently injured white rookie.

At least New Balance also works with Coco Gauff.

9 minutes ago, TommysTinyTowels said:

Wonder how that is going to sit with the rest of the league, with them choosing a presently injured white rookie.  At least New Balance also works with Coco Gauff.

Maybe...

giphy.gif

Posted (edited)
54 minutes ago, TommysTinyTowels said:

Wonder how that is going to sit with the rest of the league, with them choosing a presently injured white rookie.

At least New Balance also works with Coco Gauff.

She's been with NB before this going back at least a yr or two in college.   Its not like they just randomly picked her to be the face of the league or this campaign.     Brink is liked by the rest of the players as well

Edited by d2o
  • Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)

She is really finding her groove and the team is leaning on her more.  She's gonna be a star.   The Sparks really have something with her and Brink with Hamby as their vet going forward.  

Edited by d2o
  • Hook 'Em 1

Huge win for the Sky over a streaking Aces team.    Chennedy Carter might've been an all-star if she had been starting from the beginning of the season.    She is clearly hard to stop.