8/1, it’s time for the Hatch Chile thread

MirrOlure

5 hours ago, DoobieWah said:

Peak Surly. 

Yeah, I picked up a few last weekend and made chicken enchiladas with leftover Snow’s smoked chicken. 

Honestly, there are a lot of chiles I prefer to Hatch. 

Yeah, it's 100% hype.  The heat is inconsistent and they're pretty flavorless.  They have a fantastic marketing campaign though.

I do dig a green chile sauce over some eggs and hashbrown though, so I'll be roasting and freezing some like I do every year.

9 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

Yeah, it's 100% hype.  The heat is inconsistent and they're pretty flavorless.  They have a fantastic marketing campaign though.

I do dig a green chile sauce over some eggs and hashbrown though, so I'll be roasting and freezing some like I do every year.

I enjoy roasting a bunch on my grill, chopping them up, and bagging/freezing them for winter chili or smoked queso endeavors.  I don't think they're hot at all, but they give that nice green chile flavor to stuff, and up here we don't always green chiles sitting around (not fresh ones anyhow).  So the Hatch hype/marketing bullshit gets them in my hands in the first place, I suspect.

Came to the Hatch Chile thread to witness people bagging on their flavor and saying they aren't hot ?? Are you getting the actual "hot" variety?  Cause they damn hot.

As to flavor, to each their own, but got I miss them from time living in Albuquerque.

Come On Wow GIF by BrownSugarApp

• Hook 'Em 2

The Hatch element is overblown; they’re just basic anaheims grown in that area. It’s hype like San Marzano tomatoes (it’s just a canned fucking tomato). But I like green chiles for a number of dishes and few breakfasts are better than what you get in New Mexico. And I loved living in Denver and picking up a bushel in season at a pop up and having them roast and package them.

The Hatch element is overblown; they’re just basic anaheims grown in that area. It’s hype like San Marzano tomatoes (it’s just a canned fucking tomato). But I like green chiles for a number of dishes and few breakfasts are better than what you get in New Mexico. And I loved living in Denver and picking up a bushel in season at a pop up and having them roast and package them.

I agree on the location-specific hype. I buy and roast anaheims whenever I want, and they’re delicious. The point should be that we’re at “peak green chile season,” which is true.
  • Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)
21 hours ago, MirrOlure said:

Happy Hatch Chile Eve!  Anyone spotted 'em yet?

HEB at Brodie in Austin has had a few small boxes of hot hatch peppers for the last two weeks. Made a green chili pork last week and the hot peppers they had were legitimately hot. 

Sure they're overrated. Sure they're just Anaheim peppers. I don't give a shit. I enjoy the excuse to make a bunch of green chili dishes. 

Edited by irishtexan
  • Hook 'Em 2

47 minutes ago, Texzilla588 said:

The Hatch element is overblown; they’re just basic anaheims grown in that area.

44 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

I agree on the location-specific hype. I buy and roast anaheims whenever I want, and they’re delicious.

Well I guess if it weren't for pedantry then this message board might have no posts at all.

46 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

The point should be that we’re at “peak green chile season,” which is true.

But yes, this is the point.  Green chiles are tasty and right now they will be plentiful.

My dad makes freaking fantastic chile rellenos using green chile instead of poblano, and frying them in cornmeal batter rather than flour.  That's the way he grew up in West Texas eating them.  Fillings can be just about anything but, pecan smoked pork butt is one of the best, and his classic old school picadillo is also always a winner.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, utee94 said:

My dad makes freaking fantastic chile rellenos using green chile instead of poblano, and frying them in cornmeal batter rather than flour. 

IIRC, one time at our casa as we were cooking an absurd amount of deliciousness all day long, @Pescado_Rojo made some "boudin relleno" with anaheims.  Stuff with boudin, batter, fry, and then top with cream gravy.  They were damned tasty.  We also had gumbo, and jambalaya, and etouffee, muffaletta, and macque choux, and then fried chicken for dessert.  Holy shit.  It was amazing and terrible for us.

Edited by Brisketexan
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

You're drunk....

28 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

IIRC, one time at our casa as we were cooking an absurd amount of deliciousness all day long, @Pescado_Rojo made some "boudin relleno" with anaheims.  Stuff with boudin, batter, fry, and then top with cream gravy.  They were damned tasty.  We also had gumbo, and jambalaya, and etouffee, muffaletta, and macque choux, and then fried chicken for dessert.  Holy shit.  It was amazing and terrible for us.

I also made them for the LSU game, and that woman from the Houston Tiger Club drug her husband over and made me give him the recipe. 

28 minutes ago, SimonBolivar said:

But why? Poblanos are fantastic chiles, but i'd slam some anaheim rellenos Im sure.

Weird question.  Why not?  That was the style he ate when he was growing up, and they're delicious that way.  I'm not saying all chile rellenos need to be Anaheim, but it's certainly a great way to go.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, utee94 said:

Weird question.  Why not?  That was the style he ate when he was growing up, and they're delicious that way.  I'm not saying all chile rellenos need to be Anaheim, but it's certainly a great way to go.

I just hadn't heard of it before. I'm sure I'd love it.

5 hours ago, SimonBolivar said:

But why? Poblanos are fantastic chiles, but i'd slam some anaheim rellenos Im sure.

My only complaint with poblanos is when the cook doesn't roast and peel.  Other than that, I'd say the shorter fatter poblano might lend itself to a better stuffed pepper, but Anaheims and various NM chiles are delicious, too.

• Hook 'Em 2

IIRC, one time at our casa as we were cooking an absurd amount of deliciousness all day long, [mention=251]Pescado_Rojo[/mention] made some "boudin relleno" with anaheims.  Stuff with boudin, batter, fry, and then top with cream gravy.  They were damned tasty.  We also had gumbo, and jambalaya, and etouffee, muffaletta, and macque choux, and then fried chicken for dessert.  Holy shit.  It was amazing and terrible for us.

Boudin relleno with cream gravy. You done flung a craving on me. Sounds awesome

Yeah, that was a pretty damn good burger.  Everything there has gone so downhill recently though.  I used their digital kitchen earlier this week, my first What-a-Burger visit in several months.  Burger was as average as average could be, right at the 50%ile.  

Anyway, I never have an opinion on hatch chiles.  I have a few other peppers I'm good at cooking with.  My kids don't like heat, but are just now kinda sorta trying out mild spice here and there.  So Hatch works out well.  Plus they love this time of year at our Central Market because C/M puts out all these little tasting stations (Hatch dessert, hatch bread, hatch yogurt, etc.).  It broadens their palate and we pickup a few things to go.  To me, Hatch Season is like CF Bowl Season.  It's superfluous sure, so if you don't like it...just don't participate.  

On 8/4/2020 at 8:07 AM, thrillhammer said:

was just through hatch on sunday.  they had a freezer full of gallon ziplocs that had just been roasted that morning for $12.  they weren't even frozen yet, still hot in the freezer.  going to make rellenos with mine.

Do you use queso Chihuahua or Oaxaca - or some other cheese? 

32 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Hatch salsa dona incoming because why the hell not? 

I could get on board with that.  I like heat more than the rest of my family, but I don't like to blow the top of my head off when the jalapenos come in extra hot.

Posted (edited)
On 8/4/2024 at 10:16 AM, jimmyjazz said:

I could get on board with that.  I like heat more than the rest of my family, but I don't like to blow the top of my head off when the jalapenos come in extra hot.

Well, you can control the heat by removing the seeds in the traditional version. I like the heat, so I threw in 5 Serranos. Might be my best batch yet, I added some lime juice at the end to give it a little pop. 

image.jpg

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

Well, you can control the heal by removing the seeds in the traditional version. I like the heat, so I threw in 5 Serranos. Might be my best batch yet, I added some lime juice at the end to give it a little pop. 

image.jpg

rough recipe?   

I guess I'm just a sucker for the marketing, but I think they are great. Maybe it's just because aneheims are in season and I only buy hatch this time of year, but the grocery stress up here all roast out front every weekend in August and there is nothing better than getting a warm zip loc full of that green gold this time of year. The smell is fucking intoxicating. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 8/6/2024 at 8:17 AM, jimmyjazz said:

PSA (at least for Austin):  Hatch chiles at Randalls are less than half the price they are at HEB (per pound)

Anybody know of any stores roasting yet?

They were roasting at Central Market north this morning.

• Hook 'Em 1