Texas RB Talk

LTtxfan

10 minutes ago, Hondo said:

Fuck it.  I'll play RB.

That's the spirit. Shit, give me a uniform and a sideline pass I'll play 5th string Fullback for all our wishbone looks. Call me Red Duece, it'll please a lot of the Surly posters.

Colin Page is a smart kid with very good vision and juke shake. He played on my son's Anderson team.

I am not calling him anything other than a good football player. He kept us in the Westlake and LT games a few years ago - at least the first halfs - and good for him getting called out by Sark!

• Hook 'Em 4

13 minutes ago, TexMexBuddha said:

Colin Page is a smart kid with very good vision and juke shake. He played on my son's Anderson team.

I am not calling him anything other than a good football player. He kept us in the Westlake and LT games a few years ago - at least the first halfs - and good for him getting called out by Sark!

If Colin Page can learn pass protection, he could be a quality situational player for Texas this year.  

Sark and his offensive assistants have to figure out how to protect Ewers...  our 2024 opponents are gonna blitz the hell out of Texas now that Baxter is gone for the season.

• Hook 'Em 1

"Were not taking a body to take a body"

Folks, meet Velton Gardner!

I feel like Jerrick Gibson will be a pleasant surprise for us this season. His coming out game will be against Michigan. Blue to the outside, Gibson through the tackles, and Wisner to the slot. 

We have the weapons to make UM panic. We are disgustingly loaded at WR outside of Ohio State. Since Orji is an unproven commodity, our D will feast knowing they'll rely on the run 90% of the time. Load the box, keep the safeties close, and let our DB'S do man, and we should come away victorious.

• Hook 'Em 1

20 minutes ago, Funk Doctor Spock said:

We'll be ok at RB. Not elite, but with Blue's speed, Wisner with some jukes, and Gibson coming on, I think we'll be alright. Gibson will be the breakout star of this offense. The more acclimated he gets, the more he goes full Goku. 

I didn’t know Gibson was a laser 4.4-4.5 guy. He looks more like Malcolm Brown on tape. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

Thx for this @Machinator

Burton:  

One thing Fozzy said last night that caught my ear. Fozzy said he was talking to Tashard Choice last week. And Choice told him that Jerrick Gibson is the best pass protector of the bunch.

From Fozzy's mouth to God's ear.

Hope that proves to be the case this year because Quinn Ewers needs a big back to step up in that role.

Edited by LTtxfan
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, markstanco said:

That pic they showed during the game that Blue has in his locker of all the RBs from 2 seasons ago….anybody have a link to a poster? That would be badass to have in my media room.

Maybe some stuff to help

I love this!!! 🤘

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

On 8/22/2024 at 3:05 AM, Funk Doctor Spock said:

"Were not taking a body to take a body"

Folks, meet Velton Gardner!

I feel like Jerrick Gibson will be a pleasant surprise for us this season. His coming out game will be against Michigan. Blue to the outside, Gibson through the tackles, and Wisner to the slot. 

We have the weapons to make UM panic. We are disgustingly loaded at WR outside of Ohio State. Since Orji is an unproven commodity, our D will feast knowing they'll rely on the run 90% of the time. Load the box, keep the safeties close, and let our DB'S do man, and we should come away victorious.

Nice call. 

• Hook 'Em 4

26 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Blue is special in space. 

We should be throwing at least 5 or 6 swing passes to him a game.

Michigan watched tape they were all over the RB swing pass, unless it was play action they were pretty on top of that all day.  

Just now, Hook1997 said:

Yea but for the most of the game they had a man shadowing RB and they were hit pretty early.  

I mean, fair, but that one play was enough to win the game outside of a garbage time TD.

The good thing is that even if the D does that, it’s just going to leave some other Uber-talented guy with a chance to be open. 

26 minutes ago, Hook1997 said:

Michigan watched tape they were all over the RB swing pass, unless it was play action they were pretty on top of that all day.  

Huh, Texas was killing Michigan today with this. This play to end the 1st half, the Blue TD in the 3rd quarter, and Wisner caught a couple swing passes for good gains. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, markstanco said:

That pic they showed during the game that Blue has in his locker of all the RBs from 2 seasons ago….anybody have a link to a poster? That would be badass to have in my media room.

That needs to be a poster available to the public.  Thats an embarrassment of riches.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Huh, Texas was killing Michigan today with this. This play to end the 1st half, the Blue TD in the 3rd quarter, and Wisner caught a couple swing passes for good gains. 

No one is talking about the hesitation move on the swing pass TD. Blue is running 85% or so and puts a slight hesitation move that has all 3 Michigan players reacting at the same time. Blue hits afterburners for the edge and powers into the endzone.

it was subtle and beautiful.

Edited by lilMAC25
  • Hook 'Em 4

10 hours ago, Rickylovesweed said:

The overhead angle doesn't really capture the move. The field-level shot is just humiliating for the DB.

• Hook 'Em 2

8 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

What injury did blue play through? He was feeling it pre-game and in-game. Whatever it was it demonstrates that some of the character concerns about him coming into Texas have been answered. 

During the broadcast they mentioned his ankle needing retaping. 

10 hours ago, Texasrocks said:

The overhead angle doesn't really capture the move. The field-level shot is just humiliating for the DB.

I said this in the game thread, but we should rarely ask Blue or Wisner to block in the passing game. 

You create major mismatches when you add them to the passing game. Blue, IMO, is one of the best players in the country when you get him in space. If you don't commit a couple guys to the perimeter you're asking for disaster like this play. He humiliates a DB here but often times when you run these swing passes he actually gets 1 v 1 opportunities with a LB which is even more of a mismatch. 

Edited by Rickylovesweed
  • Hook 'Em 1

Trey Wisner giving me Jbrooks feelz. Really similar running styles.  I hate to say slasher b/c both guys run physical ;  both have that lean to them, fast but not Jamal Charles fast, for sure ‘running back ‘ fast.  Hard to articulate but man are they similar.  The play in 2nd quarter where we ran left, really looked like UM had him stopped at LOS and bam 8 yards fitting through a narrow sliver of a hole. 

• Hook 'Em 3

31 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

I think it's probably time to never question the RB room as long as Choice is here. 

Has there been a RB that's looked bad under Choice? Pay that man whatever he wants. 

No doubt.  I really thought Blue was hurt bad.  When he caught the swing pass and turned on the jets while putting the juke on the DB,  I was amazed.  The speed of all the backs is tremendous.  I was watching the game with a Bama homer and he commented on our missing piece being the running backs, I about fell out.  He obviously was drunk at noon. 

14 hours ago, Rickylovesweed said:

I think it's probably time to never question the RB room as long as Choice is here. 

Has there been a RB that's looked bad under Choice? Pay that man whatever he wants. 

Agree, hope Sark can keep Coach Choice here for a long time.