Texas RB Talk

LTtxfan

3 hours ago, TexasMan said:

I can see Blue being lackadaisical with that first fumble - it's not right but I can see it - but that second one is flat out unacceptable. Tre should be RB1. 

Blue is a very good change of pace back, but not a "bell cow". 

Shitty thing is blue had change of pace type workload yesterday, 6 carries and a catch, and managed two fumbles with it. 

• Rage+1 2

Crossposting... Thx for this @BurntOrange&White

CJ VogelA couple of nuggets on the running back room as Texas officially enters its bye week today.

Reminder, there is no practice Friday morning or this weekend.

– I am told Jaydon Blue has had a strong week of practice so far. The two fumbles suffered against Mississippi State have left him committed to bouncing back in a big way against Oklahoma in Dallas.

Blue doesn't lack for confidence and right now is chomping at the bit to get the ball back in his hands in a meaningful game.

– RB Jerrick Gibson is expected to be as close to full strength against Oklahoma as he has been all season long. The freshman back has been dealing with a lingering ankle, however after just four touches a week ago and the bye week, the former IMG Academy running back is expected to return to his healthiest form since the season opener.

– Grad transfer RB Velton Gardner was inactive a week ago due to injury in what had become a pretty surprising development. I was told the injury was a cut above the eye that left Gardner sidelined last weekend. I would consider him questionable at the moment – have yet to hear a definitive update on him just yet.

– RB Colin Page is recovering well, though I have yet to hear what his status will be for Oklahoma. Regardless, health is slowing returning to the Texas running back room.

• 2 weeks later...
10 hours ago, Knighthawk said:

Blue drops about 30% of his targets.  Not a viable option here either.   Playing himself into the portal.  

Nah. Just needs to practice securing the ball. Blue can play.

• Like 1

The hype on Blue has been one of the stranger phenomenons this season. He should get around 8-10 touches a game, evenly split between carries and receptions. Very dangerous in the open field, not so much as a classic RB. And he's not going to declare early unless he's comfortable going in late rounds or being a UDFA

He seems like a good teammate and bought in with the team culture. I'm rooting for him. 

Feed Wisner. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Blue and Wisner have different strengths as RBs... they definitely complement each other and provide a good one two punch.

Really hope Gibson keeps improving and learns to better protect the ball -- Jerrick really helps on power runs in the red zone.  

31 minutes ago, Hank Kingsley said:

The hype on Blue has been one of the stranger phenomenons this season.

Halfway through the season and we still haven't seen the Blue we saw at the end of last year, except for the ball security issues. 

12 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Halfway through the season and we still haven't seen the Blue we saw at the end of last year, except for the ball security issues. 

He didn't really do much last year either. That 69 yard TD run (untouched) vs. Texas Tech did so much heavy lifting for the unrealistic expectations. 

Edited by Hank Kingsley
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

He looked pretty fast against Michigan.  He tweaked his knee at some point and I think it's taken him a while to get back to 100%.  Anyway he's always been a guy who's best in the open field and not in a phone booth.  I think most of the pundits were saying that before the season.  Sark, not being an idiot, tries to use him accordingly.

• Hook 'Em 2

7 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

He looked pretty fast against Michigan.  He tweaked his knee at some point and I think it's taken him a while to get back to 100%.  Anyway he's always been a guy who's best in the open field and not in a phone booth.  I think most of the pundits were saying that before the season.  Sark, not being an idiot, tries to use him accordingly.

I think that is just what he is. He is great in space. He is really fast. He just has not been a great RB. He is more of 3rd down/Space guy. There is role for him, but I have my doubts on him being a every down RB. 

• Like 1

First, we need to make sure Blue still has that picture of him sitting with all the future NFL RB’s because it’s now or never for his chance to join that group.

Wisner is awesome but he was never intended to be and isn’t built to be a 20 touch per game RB.

Who knows what’s going on with Gibson. My untrained eye told me after the first couple of games that post CJ injury, he may be the best ever down RB we have. Hope we see something that backs that up!

On 10/21/2024 at 10:26 AM, MirrOlure said:

First, we need to make sure Blue still has that picture of him sitting with all the future NFL RB’s because it’s now or never for his chance to join that group.

Wisner is awesome but he was never intended to be and isn’t built to be a 20 touch per game RB.

Who knows what’s going on with Gibson. My untrained eye told me after the first couple of games that post CJ injury, he may be the best ever down RB we have. Hope we see something that backs that up!

I believe Gibson will get carries in this game. Texas came off playing 2 defenses that can get after the QB. Wisner and Blue have struggled in that area and Gibson is supposedly well behind them in blocking. Until Gibson fixes that area of his game, he is going to see a limited role.

45 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

Can Burnt Endz buy a Jugs machine specifically for the RB room? Sheesh a lot of drives killed by RB drops this year. The coaches should have walk-ons constantly peppering the RBs with passes during drills in practice.

Here's some help...

Edited by LTtxfan

20 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

NFL draft? Is he trying to be an UDFA? If he even had a modicum chance of being drafted it'll be in rd 6-7. No way anyone is taking a chance on a dude who has drop issues and fumble problems. 

So, uh, how are we feeling now? We miss Baxter so bad. Gibson needs more carries, regardless of what happens. He needs to take his lumps, and next year he'll have a shit ton of experience to go with Baxter, as well as he'll have added more muscle. See how he does in pass pro this season so he gets more comfortable. Wisner is a good back, but he can't carry this team. Hell, he can't get more than 12 carries per game.