Cheese Enchiladas

Tailgate

Had to go to S. Texas last week.  Landed just before lunch time at HRL.  So, obviously, took the wife to Las Vegas Cafe for lunch.  Combo plate with enchiladas and carne guisada, real-deal flour tortillas in foil in the middle.  This is the way.

bf4434c7bacb805ffd0085be54d5708e.jpg

Oh hell yes!
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Drool 2

2 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Had to go to S. Texas last week.  Landed just before lunch time at HRL.  So, obviously, took the wife to Las Vegas Cafe for lunch.  Combo plate with enchiladas and carne guisada, real-deal flour tortillas in foil in the middle.  This is the way.

I'd eat that

15 hours ago, 4th&Five said:

y mas. it had been way too long. 
IMG_3155.thumb.jpeg.c6e6836db1d7d04702d69739cfebcfd0.jpeg

I went out of my way to go there in May while in town, based off of the recs from this thread. 

The restaurant itself is a hovel and obviously a roach motel. The clientele were fatties and poors, mostly wearing t-shirts, cutoffs, tank tops and flip flops. There was a line with people waiting outside who mostly stank of BO and urine. 

The chips and salsa were excellent. The enchiladas were tough but otherwise tasted fine. The margaritas were mediocre, as was the queso and service. 

It’s basically a middle of the road greasy spoon that apparently is situated near some posters’ houses who don’t get around to other texmex shops much. It would be like a Houstonian pushing Spanish Flowers or one of 50 taquerias. 

In conclusion, I wouldn’t rec or go again and I now question the foodie rundowns on this board. I’m guessing Dart Bowl and the San Antonio school district enchiladas or whatever the fuck are also overrated in memory due to boomer nostalgia. 

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

In conclusion, I wouldn’t rec or go again and I now question the foodie rundowns on this board. I’m guessing Dart Bowl and the San Antonio school district enchiladas or whatever the fuck are also overrated in memory due to boomer nostalgia. 

sam-jackson-who-the-fuck-is-this-asshole

Edited by Seasick Sailor

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

The restaurant itself is a hovel and obviously a roach motel. The clientele were fatties and poors, mostly wearing t-shirts, cutoffs, tank tops and flip flops.

So, a TexMex restaurant.  You could have just said "a TexMex restaurant."  For fuck's sake.

And if you want to shit on Dart Bowl enchiladas (which indeed were the best in town), I'll pay for your flight to Austin just so I can have the convenience of beating your ass without having to take too much time out of my day.  Some things are worth violence.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

16 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

So, a TexMex restaurant.  You could have just said "a TexMex restaurant."  For fuck's sake.

And if you want to shit on Dart Bowl enchiladas (which indeed were the best in town), I'll pay for your flight to Austin just so I can have the convenience of beating your ass without having to take too much time out of my day.  Some things are worth violence.

There are plenty of clean texmex restaurants scattered all over this great state that do not cause one to feel like they immediately need to wash their hands upon entry. That restaurant makes taco trucks look clean. 

For Dart Bowl, I'm guessing if you lined up 50 of us who are unbiased by nostalgia, gave us a sample of the exact recipe, the collective vote would be something akin to "sure, these are fine" versus all of the lust espoused on this thread for them from the boomers. 

As to the physical challenge of beating someone's ass, look, man, I've read your posts for decades. I'd just start pontificating about the horrors of the world we live in and you'd immediately hit the floor and start bawling. Two hit fight. But if you want to buy me a plane ticket and draw a crowd, I'm all for it and then I could also hit up some Bird Bird Biscuit before leaving town. Public speaking does work up my appetite.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 5

2 hours ago, closetojumping said:

I went out of my way to go there in May while in town, based off of the recs from this thread. 

The restaurant itself is a hovel and obviously a roach motel. The clientele were fatties and poors, mostly wearing t-shirts, cutoffs, tank tops and flip flops. There was a line with people waiting outside who mostly stank of BO and urine. 

The chips and salsa were excellent. The enchiladas were tough but otherwise tasted fine. The margaritas were mediocre, as was the queso and service. 

It’s basically a middle of the road greasy spoon that apparently is situated near some posters’ houses who don’t get around to other texmex shops much. It would be like a Houstonian pushing Spanish Flowers or one of 50 taquerias. 

It's like you've never been to a Surly tailgate. I think you've certainly answered your own question, however. 

That being said, fuck you, flip flips are great. 

• Haha 3

12 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

For Dart Bowl, I'm guessing if you lined up 50 of us who are unbiased by nostalgia, gave us a sample of the exact recipe, the collective vote would be something akin to "sure, these are fine" versus all of the lust espoused on this thread for them from the boomers. 

Again, you're wrong on this one.  They were clearly among the best in town and that was an overwhelming consensus among Austinites.  Not every opinion needs to be validated with a double blind test.

12 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

There are plenty of clean texmex restaurants scattered all over this great state that do not cause one to feel like they immediately need to wash their hands upon entry. That restaurant makes taco trucks look clean. 

As to the physical challenge of beating someone's ass, look, man, I've read your posts for decades. I'd just start pontificating about the horrors of the world we live in and you'd immediately hit the floor and start bawling. Two hit fight. But if you want to buy me a plane ticket and draw a crowd, I'm all for it and then I could also hit up some Bird Bird Biscuit before leaving town. Public speaking does work up my appetite.

On the Dart Bowl enchiladas, I'd take that bet.  Picked up a to-go order years ago when my mom was in town babysitting our young kiddos.  She grew up in the RGV, graduated high school there.  The woman has had an enchilada or two.  She took one bite and said "holy shit these taste like home."  They were as good as it gets.

And a desire for cleanliness in mexican restaurants?

2bd2cd6e-6f47-4d4a-a50c-f8397a5b546e_tex

Finally, there's nothing you could say about the horrors of this world that I haven't written or said myself.  That said, we're discussing something much more consequential than the fate of humanity.  We're talking about enchiladas, man.

iverson-practice.jpg

• Hook 'Em 3

Top 10 List of Hot Button Subjects That Cause Surly Regulars To Flip Their Shit:

1) Mention to tourists asking for Austin food input that Salt Lick is a fun place to take kids for BBQ.

2) Declare that the Director's Cup is meaningless.

3) Defend David Pierce.

4) Question Dart Bowl enchiladas and their revered peer set, the school district trash and Enchiladas Y Mas.

5) Side with someone on any non-political subject who is known for being a CR regular with unpopular opinions.

6) Have Derka feel slighted in a thread.

7) Post something from Geoff Ketchum.

8 ) Question Rodney Terry's value for the future of UT Basketball.

9) Post a picture of a woman who isn't 40 at the time of the photo on the "Women Over 40" thread. 

10) Tell the Left-Behinders that the Big 12 won't be getting any sort of raise in their next round of negotiations. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 6

29 minutes ago, deft said:

11)thinking for a moment that ctj has a valid opinion

Wait, you think someone agreeing with me causes the board to lose its shit? Or did you just attempt a sick burn poorly? I think you should have posted something clever like "... NOT!!" after that first part to really bring it home.

Chicken or shrimp "fajitas"
Sausage kolache
Vodka vs gin martini

While I agree on the martini deal (yes I’m a vodka martini person, dry, blue cheese olives) I hate joints that basically call any mixed drink a martini. An old fashioned, Moscow mule, mai tai, daiquiri, G&T is not a fucking Martin.

29 minutes ago, Texzilla588 said:

While I agree on the martini deal (yes I’m a vodka martini person, dry, blue cheese olives) I hate joints that basically call any mixed drink a martini. An old fashioned, Moscow mule, mai tai, daiquiri, G&T is not a fucking Martin.

Where the fuck are you going that they call an Old Fashioned, a Moscow Mule, a Mai Tai, or a Gin & Tonic a Martini?

Is it a Bahama Bucks? Or is it an Olive Garden?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

35 minutes ago, Texzilla588 said:

I have gone almost full Gus McCrae on a few bartenders attempting to insist that you can’t call for a vodka martini. Fucking pedants. Had a guy in London attempt it once at a club while I was with female coworkers and a business partner. I wanted to grab him by his handlebar mustache and bang his head into the counter repeatedly until he passed out. 

4 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

How do we feel about Mexican martini?

Cause I like Mexican martinis. Should I be ordering a margarita shaken and served up?

I both order and make Mexican martinis, and I make them spicy and dirty, with almost no sweetness. To me, a margarita served up is a totally different thing, if also delicious. 

3 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

Well, if you read it, scroll past @Bozo_Casanova's posts.

You son of a bitch, I’m right about this. 

48 minutes ago, Texzilla588 said:

Neither is a vodka martini. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 2

14 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

I’ll allow it. It’s a real thing, which a vodka martini is not. 

10 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I have gone almost full Gus McCrae on a few bartenders attempting to insist that you can’t call for a vodka martini. Fucking pedants. Had a guy in London attempt it once at a club while I was with female coworkers and a business partner. I wanted to grab him by his handlebar mustache and bang his head into the counter repeatedly until he passed out. 

And yet you did nothing and gave him money. 

19 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Cause I like Mexican martinis. Should I be ordering a margarita shaken and served up?

I like Mexican martinis too.  I'd probably say they're more accurately a "dirty margarita".

• Hook 'Em 2

50 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

You son of a bitch, I’m right about this. 

Neither is a vodka martini. 

48 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

I’ll allow it. It’s a real thing, which a vodka martini is not

And yet you did nothing and gave him money. 

This is pretty impressive. Why don't you defend Charlie Strong as a head coach and complete the Helobious Hat Trick? Jesus fucking christ. 

• Haha 2

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Texzilla588 said:

James Bond says they exist so fuck off. Drink your malaria medicine. Gin is nasty shit. I’d rather drink Vitalis.

James Bond is an imaginary British person. The martini, like all proper cocktails and the atomic bomb, is an American invention. Hope that helps. Enjoy your hair tonic. 

Edited by Bozo_Casanova
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Where the fuck are you going that they call an Old Fashioned, a Moscow Mule, a Mai Tai, or a Gin & Tonic a Martini?

Is it a Bahama Bucks? Or is it an Olive Garden?

This was common in the martini renaissance 15 or so years ago. Some pretty spiffy joints would have a martini menu which was just cocktails. I didn’t like it then.
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, jimmyjazz said:

I love this place.  Next up:  Milana Vayntrub is hot.

I pondered one of the top 10 being “Milana Vayntrub is a rotund glutton that chases cars” but thought it was too volatile for the enchilada people. And here you go. 

Posted (edited)

Coming in late the the foodie spatula duel, I think I have one thing we can all agree on.  Finishing this meal and heading back to Austin could make it potentially one of the most memorable drives of you life!  I can almost hear in my head..."Goddamnit! (gurgle)I should have stopped in Kingsville..."

spacer.png

Edited by horn4life
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

Coming in late the the foodie spatula duel, I think I have one thing we can all agree on.  Finishing this meal and heading back to Austin could make it potentially one of the most memorable drives of you life!  I can almost hear in my head..."Goddamnit! (gurgle)I should have stopped in Kingsville..."

Everyone knows the best place to stop and shit is Raymondville.

2 hours ago, Texzilla588 said:

This was common in the martini renaissance 15 or so years ago. Some pretty spiffy joints would have a martini menu which was just cocktails. I didn’t like it then.

You haven’t answered my question, but sure as hell giving up evidence to my suspicions. 

(Olive Garden)

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, closetojumping said:

II’m guessing Dart Bowl and the San Antonio school district enchiladas or whatever the fuck are also overrated in memory due to boomer nostalgia. 

And you'd be guessing wrong on both accounts.