Cheese Enchiladas

Tailgate

1 hour ago, horn4life said:

Coming in late the the foodie spatula duel, I think I have one thing we can all agree on.  Finishing this meal and heading back to Austin could make it potentially one of the most memorable drives of you life!  I can almost hear in my head..."Goddamnit! (gurgle)I should have stopped in Kingsville..."

spacer.png

If you've hit Kingsville going north then you've already gotten past the highway Danger Zone.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, Cajun said:

If you've hit Kingsville going north then you've already gotten past the highway Danger Zone.

RiP Brush Country (I think that was name) damn epic cfs and great enchiladas. Huge biscuits 

• Like 1

On 6/19/2024 at 8:17 AM, closetojumping said:

I went out of my way to go there in May while in town, based off of the recs from this thread. 

The restaurant itself is a hovel and obviously a roach motel. The clientele were fatties and poors, mostly wearing t-shirts, cutoffs, tank tops and flip flops. There was a line with people waiting outside who mostly stank of BO and urine. 

The chips and salsa were excellent. The enchiladas were tough but otherwise tasted fine. The margaritas were mediocre, as was the queso and service. 

It’s basically a middle of the road greasy spoon that apparently is situated near some posters’ houses who don’t get around to other texmex shops much. It would be like a Houstonian pushing Spanish Flowers or one of 50 taquerias. 

In conclusion, I wouldn’t rec or go again and I now question the foodie rundowns on this board. I’m guessing Dart Bowl and the San Antonio school district enchiladas or whatever the fuck are also overrated in memory due to boomer nostalgia. 

You sound like someone who would heckle a team about their dead bat boy. 

6 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

RiP Brush Country (I think that was name) damn epic cfs and great enchiladas. Huge biscuits 

The Brush Country Inn in Riviera.  One of the greatest losses in Texas history.  A CFS for the ages.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Drool 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Celery Man said:

who dares to defy the texas chili reinheitsgebot

In much the same way that the original, much hated and widely ignored (and for favorites of the nobility much excepted from) reinheitsgebot was implemented by an alarmed nobility to control and appropriate the food culture of the peasantry, so too does the the unhistorical and oppressive rule of no beans implemented by Texas’ white elite of the 1950’s attempt to separate chili from its source, once again in the name of “purity.”

Beans are not required in Texas Chili but they are indeed authentic, just like the suet and tough odd and ends of mixed meats and wild game sifted and stolen from butchers bins and buzzards by a the poor women who invented it, and enjoyed by the almost-as-poor men who paid to eat it. 

I take great pleasure in knowing that the often plump and reddish men who insist that others not eat chili with beans are the same ones who cower from their wives in “man caves” and put the American flag spartan mask or punisher sticker on their F250 to cover the fragile being in the driver’s seat. 
Beans are not required, but they are authentic. Enjoy your wagyu ribeye and saffron stew!

Edited by Bozo_Casanova
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

You haven’t answered my question, but sure as hell giving up evidence to my suspicions. 

(Olive Garden)

Any place that had a “martini menu” of cocktails just sold me a beer. But then again that’s all I drank was beer.

Posted (edited)
On 6/19/2024 at 12:00 PM, Brisketexan said:

You should be negged for failing to reference "the rules-based TexMex order."

Refresh my memory.  Is it when at a new TexMex place, always order the Number 1 plate?

Edited by dcbc
  • Hook 'Em 2