Media Bias

dcar00

38 minutes ago, Conqueeftador said:

Ask and you shall receive. I hear plenty of TV hosts, politicians and pundits I recognize.

[clicks through to profile]

image.png.2709a2d41ae52b4ad6c9a7a6add9491a.png

wew lad, you sure do like em spicy lol. Dude is a straight up COVID denier based on a quick scroll

• Haha 5

10 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Projection.  It's you who swallow anything parroted by media.  Unless it's that librul media.  Then it's propaganda.

I and most of us here are capable of distinguishing opinion from fact and assessing the credibility of the opinion.

And, there was very extensive discussion here, among the CR "cabal," of Biden's acuity and competence long before the disastrous debate.  We all knew it was a potential problem.

Now, you do Trump.  Does anything about his mental acuity raise questions in your learned eyes?

He has definitely lost a step from 4-8 years ago. His speech is a little less clear. I've seen the clips where he mixes up names. But I also saw a podcast today with Andrew Schulz the comedian that was an hour and a half which was free flowing and pretty funny honestly. He's nowhere near what Biden was/is where he requires handlers to help him walk around and to complete basic meetings and work functions.

• Fuck You 9

I love the "youre a biased idiot" if you call out the biased left but youre a brilliant freedome fighter if you call out the right. This sight is full of morons. Cloak room should have told you that. Bring the negs commies.

• Haha 4
  • Fuck You 9

Just now, HellesBier said:

I love the "youre a biased idiot" if you call out the biased left but youre a brilliant freedome fighter if you call out the right. This sight is full of morons. Cloak room should have told you that. Bring the negs commies.

Wait, aren't you the super, pro-Ukraine guy who's going to pull the lever for Donny in November? 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Conqueeftador said:

He has definitely lost a step from 4-8 years ago. His speech is a little less clear. I've seen the clips where he mixes up names. But I also saw a podcast today with Andrew Schulz the comedian that was an hour and a half which was free flowing and pretty funny honestly. He's nowhere near what Biden was/is where he requires handlers to help him walk around and to complete basic meetings and work functions.

A little?

Tell me, do you see "mainstream" media making a big issue of any of this?  Do you see right wing media talking about it at all?

Oh, looky, he'res a story about Trump that quotes other sources as to his acuity.  https://www.nytimes.com/2024/10/06/us/politics/trump-speeches-age-cognitive-decline.html  It also fails to call him a liar, instead using euphemisms like "untethered to the truth."  They even quoted Steven Cheung:

Steven Cheung, the campaign communications director, called Mr. Trump “the strongest and most capable candidate” and dismissed suggestions that he has diminished with age. “President Trump has more energy and more stamina than anyone in politics, and is the smartest leader this country has ever seen,” he said in a statement.

Pray tell, is that propaganda?

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, HellesBier said:

Are you illiterate?

• Haha 4

2 minutes ago, HellesBier said:

Haha, fag.

(level of discourse).

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, HellesBier said:

Ask and ye shall receive.

3 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

So he's going to vote for the candidate who has plainly said he'd cut off all aid to Ukraine and hand it to Putin on whatever terms he wants.

Duh.

1 minute ago, wildcat09 said:

Pro-Ukraine Trump voter has to be about as stupid as they come right?

Jumping out on a ledge and assigning me what I think or will vote for is....well that is very left. Attack attack attack because there is no discourse unless you absolutely think like me. This is why the left has become dangerous. 

• Fuck You 6

24 minutes ago, HellesBier said:

You got it, you pussy ass bitch. 

1 minute ago, HellesBier said:

Jumping out on a ledge and assigning me what I think or will vote for is....well that is very left. Attack attack attack because there is no discourse unless you absolutely think like me. This is why the left has become dangerous. 

So . . . you're voting for the Commie then?

• Fuck Around and Find Out 2

1 minute ago, HellesBier said:

How is it left?  Do you not see Trumpists doing exactly the same thing, and with more vitriol and over stupider stuff.  Fall in line!

• Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, royiv said:

Breathtakingly so

How dare someone have varying opinions, it is so 19th century. 

2 minutes ago, DigglerontheHoof said:

You got it, you pussy ass bitch. 

You father probably sucked fucking cock while your mom cheated on him

Edited by HellesBier
  • Haha 1
  • Fuck You 8

5 minutes ago, HellesBier said:

Why would I attempt discourse with someone who probably thinks shooting at a hurricane would stop it from hitting his house? 

• Haha 2

40 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Excellent point.  If we're going to start labeling things as propaganda, might as well bring Tucker, Tenet and RT into the conversation.

It has been labeled propaganda for ~20 years. You are doing a disservice to many on this site that correctly identified it as opinion propaganda decades ago.  

4 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

Why would I attempt discourse with someone who probably thinks shooting at a hurricane would stop it from hitting his house? 

This sounds crazy, but listen. Does anyone have a sharpie?  Maybe we can steer this bitch right around the straights? 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

I love that the "oh he doesnt immediately agree with us so he must think that shooting at hurricanes will solve it". Do you realize that when you say shit like this you are just as crazy as the people you think you are protecting America from? You mother fuckers a looney tunes. But hey kamala is great! 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 4

12 minutes ago, HellesBier said:

I love that the "oh he doesnt immediately agree with us so he must think that shooting at hurricanes will solve it". Do you realize that when you say shit like this you are just as crazy as the people you think you are protecting America from? You mother fuckers a looney tunes. But hey kamala is great! 

Kamala is vowing to continue to support Ukraine, which I assume you think is "great?"

Hard to follow you, tbh. Care enough about Ukraine to personally go there and offer support, but seemingly fine with electing the guy who assures their destruction as a nation and a people. 

Make it make sense.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 3

25 minutes ago, HellesBier said:

I’ve seen this same sort of response from cloak room haters for 8 years now, including myself a few times along the way. And there is a bit of that.

However, in this instance and frankly more often than not the people criticizing you are providing facts, nuance, and solid analysis, while the person who feels “persecuted” strikes back with propaganda, low effort wrong opinions, and garbage. Feel like you’re being attacked? Stop debating like a 10 year old. 

The people supporting Trump right now fall into three categories: a) uninformed, b) wanting to preserve their considerable wealth like Elon, or c) bad people (racists, nationalists, etc). That’s it. If you were truly informed there is no way you’d vote for him. He’s unfit to be President, just as his ENTIRE CABINET has said.

Edited by Dbeasy
  • Hook 'Em 9

4 hours ago, wildcat09 said:

"It's not fair she was prepared!" is such an unreal self own. 

I believe falling for this qualifies you as an idiot.  

But kids identifying as cats who used litter boxes in class are now missing due to Haitians is real right?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, HellesBier said:

You father probably sucked fucking cock while your mom cheated on him

5 minutes ago, F250 said:

This was an odd yet specifically described situation. lulz

every accusation is a confession, in my experience

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, HellesBier said:

You don't care about honesty or transparency.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, elfenix said:

"all you know to do is attack" says poster, while calling those he disagrees with "morons," and  "commies," and questioning their parentage 

There is a certain subset of people who think "they're all a bunch of corrupt assholes, so fuck it". Of course, thinking that and then voting for the most openly, disturbingly corrupt people that have ever existed seems like a bad way to solve that problem. But here we are.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, elfenix said:

"all you know to do is attack" says poster, while calling those he disagrees with "morons," and  "commies," and questioning their parentage 

And while worshiping a guy who has campaigned entirely on grievance and insults.

4 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

The irony of this comment after the history of your new Gods climb up the ladder.  Amazing.  

There is only one God, psycho. 

As for loyalty, I am loyal to our Constitution, and I do have hope the rule of Law will be re-established. I am not the one on my knees, giving suck to a wanna be autocrat and the false god of mammon.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

I haven't stopped thinking about the guy who traveled halfway around the world to support Ukraine, but seems fine with letting it's people get slaughtered and raped. To own the libs I guess?

Do you think he mentioned that when he was over there? 

If he gets his way and Trump wins, do you think there will be a moment of reflection when he sees the cities turned to rubble and its citizens executed in the streets? Nope, that'll still be the libs fault, somehow.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Don Johnson said:

So, did 60 Minutes edit the clip or not?  I've googled and it sure seems like they did.

I guess they did but that's typical of any 60 Minutes interview. I watched the entire segment and there were times Kamala would give an answer and they would cut away from her speaking to have Bill Whitaker summarize her answer. I don't find it to be some grand conspiracy where they are in the tank for her given they offered Trump the chance to also be interviewed, like they do every election for both candidates. The interview wasn't a puff piece for her and Whitaker followed up on his questions multiple times if I guess he felt she wasn't giving the answer he was looking for. I think that's part of why they edited the answer the way they did. If you watch any 60 Minutes episode, you'll see the jump cuts and summarizing of answers in interviews. 

47 minutes ago, mdmost said:

I guess they did but that's typical of any 60 Minutes interview. I watched the entire segment and there were times Kamala would give an answer and they would cut away from her speaking to have Bill Whitaker summarize her answer. I don't find it to be some grand conspiracy where they are in the tank for her given they offered Trump the chance to also be interviewed, like they do every election for both candidates. The interview wasn't a puff piece for her and Whitaker followed up on his questions multiple times if I guess he felt she wasn't giving the answer he was looking for. I think that's part of why they edited the answer the way they did. If you watch any 60 Minutes episode, you'll see the jump cuts and summarizing of answers in interviews. 

I've told this story before, but I had a witness who was interviewed by 60 Minutes for a pretty high profile story 20+ years ago.  The 60 Minutes crew came to his town (in S. La.), hung out with us all for a couple of days.  Fun to get drinks with, hear war stories, all that.  Then they did the interview -- took maybe an hour with him, just sitting in a chair, answering questions and telling stories.  Including some super-juicy, relevant stuff.

They used 45 seconds of the total interview, on a point that was technically and legally meaningless....but was a sexy soundbite.  That's it.  It wasn't "bias," or anything of the sort.  It was "this will get more eyes on the TV."  When they do long-form interviews, they don't just run a single take, from start to finish.  They edit.  Every TV interview that's longer than 2 minutes, but has to fit within a time slot (as in, not an interminable web streaming interview) is going to have cuts and such.  Not necessarily bias (although it can and does often play a role).  The outcry here is much ado about nothing.

25 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

Ya know, the issue of media bias isn't one that can usually be easily quantitatively evaluated. Most media bias (that isn't just outright propaganda) manifests somewhat subtly, in how stories are prioritized, questions and answers are framed, etc. But this is pretty objective:

The most widely-read newspapers ran 4 times more stories, 6 times more front-page stories about the FBI reopening the Clinton email investigation than about the recent unsealing of the Trump 1/6 superseding indictment that confirmed that he orchestrated an attempted coup. Bias doesn't really get much more obvious than this. 

Not that I want to cut the media ANY slack....but I also think they're responding to what their audience thinks is interesting.

A story about Hillary, former first lady and Senator, committing a real-deal bad act?  That's INTERESTING, and somewhat novel (set aside all the stupid "she killed Vince Foster" shit that Rush Limbaugh would say).

A story about Trump, an obvious immoral criminal, doing another immoral criminal thing?  Add it to the pile, ho-hum.  That's not new or interesting.  It's just satisfying to the 10% of people who get fired up by thinking "THIS TIME....WE'VE GOT HIM!"

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

The reaction of some of our posters being told their obscure new sources are in fact not legitimate sources of news is weird.

You would think when they are told that the moon is not made out of cheese they would agree but no they end up looking like this.

wlv08.jpg?a480096

• Hook 'Em 1

On 10/10/2024 at 2:19 PM, Brisketexan said:

I've told this story before, but I had a witness who was interviewed by 60 Minutes for a pretty high profile story 20+ years ago.  The 60 Minutes crew came to his town (in S. La.), hung out with us all for a couple of days.  Fun to get drinks with, hear war stories, all that.  Then they did the interview -- took maybe an hour with him, just sitting in a chair, answering questions and telling stories.  Including some super-juicy, relevant stuff.

They used 45 seconds of the total interview, on a point that was technically and legally meaningless....but was a sexy soundbite.  That's it.  It wasn't "bias," or anything of the sort.  It was "this will get more eyes on the TV."  When they do long-form interviews, they don't just run a single take, from start to finish.  They edit.  Every TV interview that's longer than 2 minutes, but has to fit within a time slot (as in, not an interminable web streaming interview) is going to have cuts and such.  Not necessarily bias (although it can and does often play a role).  The outcry here is much ado about nothing.

Not that I want to cut the media ANY slack....but I also think they're responding to what their audience thinks is interesting.

A story about Hillary, former first lady and Senator, committing a real-deal bad act?  That's INTERESTING, and somewhat novel (set aside all the stupid "she killed Vince Foster" shit that Rush Limbaugh would say).

A story about Trump, an obvious immoral criminal, doing another immoral criminal thing?  Add it to the pile, ho-hum.  That's not new or interesting.  It's just satisfying to the 10% of people who get fired up by thinking "THIS TIME....WE'VE GOT HIM!"

To this end, https://apnews.com/article/kamala-harris-trump-cbs-interview-edit-024c435a19fd37eee7a090ece76d925c

For CBS News, it was considered part of the typical editing and cross-promotion process that takes place for a big interview. Yet to those unfamiliar with journalism and television production, the effect can be jarring.

Still, in this day and age, a departure from "typical editing and cross-promotion" might seem advisable.

Americans continue to register record-low trust in the mass media, with 31% expressing a “great deal” or “fair amount” of confidence in the media to report the news “fully, accurately and fairly,” similar to last year’s 32%. Americans’ trust in the media -- such as newspapers, television and radio -- first fell to 32% in 2016 and did so again last year. ...

https://news.gallup.com/poll/651977/americans-trust-media-remains-trend-low.aspx

• Hook 'Em 1