Texas D-Line Talk

Reese Bennett

49 minutes ago, Tex Long said:

Worry about next season later on.

Reckon by the season's end there will be a decent group of DTs ready to portalize their NFL draft futures. We gonna be close to the top of their lists.

We’ve already proven this past cycle we’re not going to shell out for a plus starter on the interior defensive line. Or any position. We’re pretty competitive with offensive weapons, but we’re also able to sell the offense and a first round QB distributor. Most schools can’t provide that. On the defensive line, all we really have is competitive NIL packages, our defensive line coach is still relatively unknown. 

2 minutes ago, CastHorn said:

We’ve already proven this past cycle we’re not going to shell out for a plus starter on the interior defensive line. Or any position. We’re pretty competitive with offensive weapons, but we’re also able to sell the offense and a first round QB distributor. Most schools can’t provide that. On the defensive line, all we really have is competitive NIL packages, our defensive line coach is still relatively unknown. 

Completely agree. Can’t believe we didn’t land Ochaun Mathis either, would have been a real game changer for us in the 2022 season. 

Let’s see how Bear Alexander and Damonic Williams fare this year relative to Tia Savea/Bill Norton/Jermayne Lole. 

Posted (edited)

I think Lole was a great late find for the staff. If he can remain healthy, he’s a real player inside. Savea & Norton just look like bodies to me on film, but they’re grown man bodies. Washington won a lot of games last season with their BYU roster. 

Edited by CastHorn

17 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Behind The Facemask: 07: Trey Moore 

July 23rd

Excited to see Trey Moore get after QBs this season for Texas.  Our defense could be pretty salty with a much better pass rush.  🤘

On 7/24/2024 at 2:31 PM, LTtxfan said:

Excited to see Trey Moore get after QBs this season for Texas.  Our defense could be pretty salty with a much better pass rush.  🤘

The pass rush of the edge should be better with Moore, but it's the interior DL that concerns me.

Collins, Broughton, and the AZ transfers gotta step up big time to match Murphy and Sweat's production. Tall order, for sure, but maybe we've got better depth this year? 

2 minutes ago, DFW Horn said:

The pass rush of the edge should be better with Moore, but it's the interior DL that concerns me.  Collins, Broughton, and the AZ transfers gotta step up big time to match Murphy and Sweat's production. Tall order, for sure, but maybe we've got better depth this year? 

Yeah Michigan is gonna really pound the rock to test our interior D-line and LBs against the run... 

And Go Blue's defense is gonna blitz Ewers a ton under their new defensive coordinator.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/24/2024 at 11:13 AM, CastHorn said:

I think Lole was a great late find for the staff. If he can remain healthy, he’s a real player inside. Savea & Norton just look like bodies to me on film, but they’re grown man bodies. Washington won a lot of games last season with their BYU roster. 

I don't think Kwiatkowski's defense is predicated on elite IDL play. He had to last year, but I think he prefers his LBs and Ss to make all the plays while his IDL occupy OL. If our edges are finally havoc makers, the lack of a true difference maker inside will be ok, though I think Collins is going to be a monster for us inside.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 8/5/2024 at 10:33 PM, HtownHorn said:

I don't think Kwiatkowski's defense is predicated on elite IDL play. He had to last year, but I think he prefers his LBs and Ss to make all the plays while his IDL occupy OL. If our edges are finally havoc makers, the lack of a true difference maker inside will be ok, though I think Collins is going to be a monster for us inside.

The thing is, when holding is called like against Alabama, then we feasted.  Nobody can convince me that holding will be called less this year than in the Big 12.

• Like 1

The thing is, when holding is called like against Alabama, then we feasted.  Nobody can convince me that holding will be called less this year than in the Big 12.

If subjective calls go 50:50, I like our chances. The decade of post-LHN bullshit made every game difficult to watch in big12 play.

1 hour ago, LTtxfan said:

Damn I hope our pass rush is good this year 🤘

1 hour ago, Fondren & Main said:

Now that holding won't be allowed every play it should look similar to the Alabama game on a weekly basis.

EDGE improvement should help pass rush dramatically. If the DT situation is even close to as good as we've been hearing, the front four should be improved overall, and the DB shouldn't have to cover receivers for thirty seconds per play. 

The SEC reffing should lower the holding foul disparity, but the keyword is "should" - remains to be seen. We may hope.

• 2 weeks later...

I admittedly did not get to watch closely, but other than one hurry I saw and a pass batted down I didn’t see a ton of blitzing or pressure from a base rush. 

anyone got the analysis? Who played, didn’t play, CSU seemed to run more, did they use quick passes to negate  pressure, did we get the hurries or what? Small sample size with one game but just looking for objective analysis on their performance against the pass.

Edited by troph

28 minutes ago, troph said:

I admittedly did not get to watch closely, but other than one hurry I saw and a pass batted down I didn’t see a ton of blitzing or pressure from a base rush. 

anyone got the analysis? Who played, didn’t play, CSU seemed to run more, did they use quick passes to negate  pressure, did we get the hurries or what? Small sample size with one game but just looking for objective analysis on their performance against the pass.

I was just thinking that I’m disappointed we didn’t have any sacks and really didn’t seem like much pressure either.  Hoping that was more due to a base scheme, but I figured we would at least out-athlete them and get at least a couple of sacks. Am I out of my element?

I saw some folks say soft between the tackles against the run, I don’t know about that either. Run D looked pretty salty to me. A shutout tends to say there were no problems or breakdowns, I’d just like more objective analysis. My untrained and distracted eye thought pass coverage was the reason for CSUs lack of success in the pass game, but I’d like the OCD game watchers / former players / uber analyst types to chime in.   

• Hook 'Em 1

19 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

I was just thinking that I’m disappointed we didn’t have any sacks and really didn’t seem like much pressure either.  Hoping that was more due to a base scheme, but I figured we would at least out-athlete them and get at least a couple of sacks. Am I out of my element?

It’s hard to get sacks when the ball comes out that quickly. Conversely, it’s hard for their receivers when the ball comes out that quickly. If he’d been standing back there surveying the field, sure, that wouldn’t be great. He wasn’t. 

Add in that it took a minute to adjust to their different approach and there was no need to do anything to try to make them score negative points, and it doesn’t seem like a bad game one. 

Edited by Doc Daneeka
  • Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, troph said:

I saw some folks say soft between the tackles against the run, I don’t know about that either. Run D looked pretty salty to me. A shutout tends to say there were no problems or breakdowns, I’d just like more objective analysis. My untrained and distracted eye thought pass coverage was the reason for CSUs lack of success in the pass game, but I’d like the OCD game watchers / former players / uber analyst types to chime in.   

It’s was 52-0, so hard to get too critical.

Texas homer mentioned the stuff rate was below average on the run. Run defense was solid, but DL did play on the other side of the LOS. You could probably say the same thing about the OL. Conner got blow up a couple times. Solid, but not dominant 

Too many drops early. Need to clean that up 

1 hour ago, Codaxx said:

It’s was 52-0, so hard to get too critical.

Texas homer mentioned the stuff rate was below average on the run. Run defense was solid, but DL did play on the other side of the LOS. You could probably say the same thing about the OL. Conner got blow up a couple times. Solid, but not dominant 

Too many drops early. Need to clean that up 

not being critical at all, seems like the DL was hard to grade, trying to figure out what was going on that's it.  I think this D has the ability to be really special, trying to understand how they played besides the usual emotional outbursts seems like a good thing.

3 hours ago, linux said:

I posted their grades they did not seem to play that bad, nothing could have replicated last year when they were #1 and #2 in the entire country though.

What about pass rush? Looks like Broughton and Sorrell did well graded out on pass rush, that’s it. 

Edited by troph

8 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

Just from my casual live viewing, seemed like run defense was a little soft. The CSU RB had 100 yards at 4+ ypc.

Felt like mostly quick passes from CSU so not a ton of pass rush opps.

He got 24 yards against backups after it was 52-0.

He got 12 on the last play of the first half. 

He got 9 on a 2nd and 18.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, GTJ1982 said:

The transfer DT seemed to get pushed around somewhat watching the game.  Will have to rewatch as the announcers did very little commentating on what or who was happening during the game.  

Lole.  On rewatch he played on skates.  Several of the popped runs were with him sideways.  On the other hand the huge guy #15 is a pretty good anchor.  Broughton still cannot anchor but is slippery and gets into the backfield.  Collins and Burke are our two best DL.  Sorrell has maxed out.  Solid player but is just not going to be a difference maker.  Haven't seen enough of Moore to tell anything.  Only noticed him once and that was dropping in coverage (?)

7 hours ago, linux said:

I posted their grades they did not seem to play that bad, nothing could have replicated last year when they were #1 and #2 in the entire country though.

I don’t think the DL played bad. It wasn’t the focus of the game plan. Defense gave up 192 yards, that doesn’t happen with bad DL play. The knock was just they were not dominant and a lack of splash plays. Good, just not dominant 

• Hook 'Em 1

Cross-posting great info from @Hookem2147

Wadlington mentioned on a video this afternoon that on his rewatch he counted 12 true dropbacks for CSU where the QB actually went through a progression or two and wasn’t just throwing to a predetermined receiver or spot.

Texas got pressure on 7 of those dropbacks and he said the time from snap to release couldn’t have been much more than 2 seconds on the majority of them.

He wasn’t concerned at all about the pass rush.

• Hook 'Em 6

4 hours ago, ClubWhatever said:

Lole.  On rewatch he played on skates.  Several of the popped runs were with him sideways.  On the other hand the huge guy #15 is a pretty good anchor.  Broughton still cannot anchor but is slippery and gets into the backfield.  Collins and Burke are our two best DL.  Sorrell has maxed out.  Solid player but is just not going to be a difference maker.  Haven't seen enough of Moore to tell anything.  Only noticed him once and that was dropping in coverage (?)

#15 is Bill Norton, I believe. A gigantic mf'er. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Without having looked into specifics, I believe the gameplan this season is for the DTs to spend more time occupying blockers to allow the LBs more freedom.

Judging from the games had by Hill, Gbenda, and Leafu, and the fact the defense gave up 0 points, I'll take that over DTs flashing into the backfield and leaving gaps and a minefield for the lbs

• Hook 'Em 4

10 hours ago, cmontexas said:

Without having looked into specifics, I believe the gameplan this season is for the DTs to spend more time occupying blockers to allow the LBs more freedom.

Judging from the games had by Hill, Gbenda, and Leafu, and the fact the defense gave up 0 points, I'll take that over DTs flashing into the backfield and leaving gaps and a minefield for the lbs

This is the way. Let the guys who can run and tackle be the runners and tacklers. Let the Big Boys eat whatever is in front or close and make OL stay within 4 feet of the LOS.

14 hours ago, Slacks said:

This is the way. Let the guys who can run and tackle be the runners and tacklers. Let the Big Boys eat whatever is in front or close and make OL stay within 4 feet of the LOS.

This is the problem.  Both DTs got washed out on quite a few plays.  Lole, Saveea, and Broughton were the worst offenders.  This was against an air raid team.  Michigan will run for 200+ yards if we roll the same performance out there and we will get minimal possession of the ball.   I want to see Collins and Norton at DT on a majority of snaps.  At DE, Burke and Sorrell.

• Hook 'Em 1

I rewatched the game last night but from what I can remember before the real second unit came in the third it was a combination.

Collins NT, Broughton DT

Norton NT, Lole DT

Bryant (I think) NT, Savea DT (this unit got very limited snaps)

and then Collins Broughton Sorrell and Burke on passing third down as mentioned.

On 9/2/2024 at 11:32 PM, cmontexas said:

This is Kwiatowski's preferred scheme, and I am sure Nansen, being a LB guy also prefers his LBs making a ton of plays. The idea is filter everything to the middle where you have elite LB and S play to clean up everything. We finally have the personnel to match that scheme.

According to OTF, Norton only played 7 snaps. I'm guessing they are saving his bullets for Michigan.

8 hours ago, troph said:

what's up with T. Moore? did he not play? injured? forgot how to play football?

was expecting more (or maybe moore?) from him also.  did not see him on the field much.   as much talk as there was on putting focus on this area, no sacks and 2 hurries.  hopefully we start building a little steam on saturday.