Texas WR/TE Passing Offense Talk

LTtxfan

5 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Lots of completions in video below...

I saw that 90s "Bubble" formation and wondered what Ol Sark was trying to put on film... And what he might motion into.

Edited by Slacks
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Eskimohorn said:

In totality, think we’ve upgraded from the previous year, especially since last year’s group seemed banged up.

I dont this this group has really upgraded the WR position from last year. Almost impossible to do that. I do think Ewers' improvement, has upgraded the overall offense. I am not sure Ewers from 2023 could have shredded that Michigan defense. I thought Ewers played his best game ever as a Longhorn vs Michigan this year. 

• Hook 'Em 1

He did pretty well against Alabama’s defense in 2023. 

I think there’s a pretty strong argument to be made that the WR position is upgraded in depth and experience compared to last year. Bond, Wingo, Cook, Golden, Moore, and Bolden doesn’t have a Worthy at the top, maybe, but they come at teams in waves. 

• Hook 'Em 4

26 minutes ago, Doc Daneeka said:

If nothing else, the “they’ll take a step back without Worthy, Mitchell, and Sanders” talk has quieted down. 

Seeing Bond smoking down the sideline against UTSA made me wonder if there's even a drop off in speed.

Just now, mwaadeeb said:

Seeing Bond smoking down the sideline against UTSA made me wonder if there's even a drop off in speed.

Maybe, maybe at the margin — Bond probably isn’t going to put up a 40 time like Worthy’s — but he’s more than fast enough to do to defenses what Worthy did. Imo. 

8 minutes ago, Doc Daneeka said:

He did pretty well against Alabama’s defense in 2023. 

I think there’s a pretty strong argument to be made that the WR position is upgraded in depth and experience compared to last year. Bond, Wingo, Cook, Golden, Moore, and Bolden doesn’t have a Worthy at the top, maybe, but they come at teams in waves. 

Quinn lit up Bama in both games (at least until he left in the 1st game). Lot more man coverage from Bama. Quinn going 10-16 on 3rd down with over 7 yards to go on average vs Michigan, was really impressive. Depth is better, but last year's topline guys are better. Sark brought the rotation way in vs Michigan. That was the only game vs decent defense Texas has played this year. 

Edited by Codaxx
  • Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, mwaadeeb said:

That was impressive and very similar to the Wyoming play from Worthy. I am not sure Bond is as shifty as Worthy. I think Worthy is faster, but I would pay money to see them race. 

Just now, Codaxx said:

Quinn lit up Bama in both games (at least until he left in the 1st game). Lot more man coverage from Bama. Quinn going 10-16 on 3rd down with over 7 yards to go on average vs Michigan, is just impressive. Depth is better, but last year's topline guys are better. Sark brought the rotation way in vs Michigan. That was the only game vs decent defense Texas has played this year. 

Worthy is faster than Bond. I don’t know that he’s better in any meaningful way. Mitchell was a badass. Would I trade him for Wingo right now? No. Cook now is better than Cook then. Golden vs. Whittington, as receivers? Hmmm.

Based on what I’ve seen and what Sarkisian has said, the blocking needs to step up. That said, I wouldn’t swap this year’s group for last year’s.

Just now, Doc Daneeka said:

Worthy is faster than Bond. I don’t know that he’s better in any meaningful way. Mitchell was a badass. Would I trade him for Wingo right now? No. Cook now is better than Cook then. Golden vs. Whittington, as receivers? Hmmm.

Based on what I’ve seen and what Sarkisian has said, the blocking needs to step up. That said, I wouldn’t swap this year’s group for last year’s.

Wingo will be the best of the bunch when he leaves, but he is not quite there yet. He may get there by the end of the season. 

It is more like this

Worthy vs Bond

Mitchell vs Golden

JWhitt vs Moore

that is starters vs starters. How many starters are you picking from 2024 over 2023? 

• Hook 'Em 1

The difference is that the OL is a year older and Ewers took step forward in his play and understanding of the offense.  The receivers are still getting open, so any drop-off there doesn't really matter.

Edited by kevwun
  • Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Codaxx said:

Wingo will be the best of the bunch when he leaves, but he is not quite there yet. He may get there by the end of the season. 

It is more like this

Worthy vs Bond

Mitchell vs Golden

JWhitt vs Moore

that is starters vs starters. How many starters are you picking from 2024 over 2023? 

Well, given that my original argument is that the upgrade was in depth and not absolute peak, I’m sticking with my argument that the room, overall, that I’d take is the 2024 room. Other people may see it differently. That’s cool. 

I was very happy to see Cook and Moore rewarded against UTSA. Those guys probably aren't used to waiting 2 years to be the guy, but they will here and that is why Texas is set to continue the offensive dominance for a good while longer. Having skill position vets in your offense is a rare commodity these days in college football.

That room is so fucking deep that Bolden is struggling to get playing time and he is as electric as any in that room. Same with the TE room, Helm and Davis have been so good that Niblack is struggling to get on the field. Though I see Niblack, if he sticks it out, and Washington being big weapons next year after Helm and Davis leave.

• Hook 'Em 2

I dont this this group has really upgraded the WR position from last year. Almost impossible to do that. I do think Ewers' improvement, has upgraded the overall offense. I am not sure Ewers from 2023 could have shredded that Michigan defense. I thought Ewers played his best game ever as a Longhorn vs Michigan this year. 

I think the biggest issue the past few years was Worthy getting targets when he was not open . And Ewers airmailing deep passes. And all the top four guys played thru injuries - Sark didnt seem to trust the backups.

In last year’s Bama game, I was impressed with their receivers, who made circus catches under pressure. Ours had a tough first half with key drops then rebounded.

Id take Bond right now over Worthy. Helm over Sanders for blocking and reliability. Dude has really impressed. We do miss a big body receiver but have speed to kill.
  • Hook 'Em 1

15 minutes ago, Eskimohorn said:

I think the biggest issue the past few years was Worthy getting targets when he was not open . And Ewers airmailing deep passes. And all the top four guys played thru injuries - Sark didnt seem to trust the backups.

In last year’s Bama game, I was impressed with their receivers, who made circus catches under pressure. Ours had a tough first half with key drops then rebounded.

Id take Bond right now over Worthy. Helm over Sanders for blocking and reliability. Dude has really impressed. We do miss a big body receiver but have speed to kill.

I have Worthy over Bond. I think he is better after the catch than Bond, but that is arguable. I do think Helm vs Sanders is legit. I just lean to Quinn being 1 year better and more efficient. Either way the offense appears better and that is what really matters

23 minutes ago, Eskimohorn said:

I'm confused as to what Bama game you watched. Texas jumped out to the lead in the first half. Alabama is the one that responded late in the second and in the third quarter. Bama receivers had a total of 57 yards at half, pretty much all of which came on two plays during the last drive. Texas receivers had 88 yards, including a 44 yard TD to start the 2nd quarter.

Worthy is clearly over Bond in terms of what he brought to our offense. But their skillset isn't exactly the same, although there is some overlap. That said, Bond is definitely better than injured Worthy that we kept getting against Washington. Helm over Sanders may legit be an argument at this point, and I'm shocked at that.