Deion Sanders "Coach Prime" Now At Colorado

Don Johnson

On 9/8/2024 at 4:07 PM, NoName said:

Yeah that's going to be awesome in an NFL locker room.

I can understand this talk at the Sanders' dining room table but I would have guessed Deion would have taught his son to not trash the line in an interview. If only to look like a leader. Then again Deion may say that calling trash teammates trash is a sign of a leader. Who knows.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, wood said:

Yep. Let's not start sucking Matt Rhule's dick just yet for doing exactly what any decent team should have done. Is Nebraska decent now? Maybe. Maybe even good, but it was Colorado, in Lincoln. Time will tell how good Nebraska really is.

My guess is that in time - like I said about ND after they beat aggy - we'll probably find out that Nebraska isn't very good either.

Look I’m not saying Nebraska is great.

I’m just saying Rhuel has an established track record. He took Temple from 2 wins to double-digit wins in year 3. He took post-Briles Baylor that was in shambles and got them to 11 wins in year 3.

I’m just saying it’s pretty stark juxtaposition when you see how these two teams looked against each other in year 2 of their respective coaching regimes. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

51 minutes ago, oSuJeff97 said:

Look I’m not saying Nebraska is great.

I’m just saying Rhuel has an established track record. He took Temple from 2 wins to double-digit wins in year 3. He took post-Briles Baylor that was in shambles and got them to 11 wins in year 3.

I’m just saying it’s pretty stark juxtaposition when you see how these two teams looked against each other in year 2 of their respective coaching regimes. 

Rhule can flat out coach. Saying so isn’t stroking his dick. Deion doesn’t know the first thing about coaching or building a program. He’s a loud mouth idiot and always has been. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Jkwellborn said:

Where are the posters that were also in love with this hire? Saying how good they were gonna do?

I’m still in love this hire. It’s entertaining as hell. If it somehow worked it would have been hilarious too. The fact that it’s an absolute disaster is great entertainment as well. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Jkwellborn said:

Where are the posters that were also in love with this hire? Saying how good they were gonna do?

The entire Genesis and evolution of this thread is very interesting. I actually hope it gets archived at some point as there are some genuinely intriguing social and football aspects of posters here and perception broadly regarding Deion and more. 

It sort of falls into 2 camps, those defending Deion for a variety of reasons and those that have consistently shit on him. I'm of the latter group, but wasn't posting much when he first took the Jackson State job. What occurred there follows suit in off ways with what is happening now with different specifics.

The future of his sons and his success (or lack thereof) are what will play out in the next 12 months.

One side of the coin is going to look pretty foolish, the other not so much.

Edited by BurntEyes
  • Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, 4th&Five said:

I’m still in love this hire. It’s entertaining as hell. If it somehow worked it would have been hilarious too. The fact that it’s an absolute disaster is great entertainment as well. 

It is indeed entertaining, and it brought Colorado's football program more attention than it's gotten in decades, more than any other hire that Colorado could have hoped to have made.  I think the Sanders era will end as a flaming pile of garbage, but overall the short-term gains have worked out quite well for that program.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, South Austin said:

It is indeed entertaining, and it brought Colorado's football program more attention than it's gotten in decades, more than any other hire that Colorado could have hoped to have made.  I think the Sanders era will end as a flaming pile of garbage, but overall the short-term gains have worked out quite well for that program.

I mean, short-term, it brought eyeballs, attention, media and money.  All of that goes away as soon as Deion leaves.  If that happens after this year, then CU sold their soul for 2 years of headlines and money.  Will fans stick around when they suck again? Does CU just start chasing the flashiest names they can find and become a gimmick media hype program? 

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, Js1 said:

I mean, short-term, it brought eyeballs, attention, media and money.  All of that goes away as soon as Deion leaves.  If that happens after this year, then CU sold their soul for 2 years of headlines and money.  Will fans stick around when they suck again? Does CU just start chasing the flashiest names they can find and become a gimmick media hype program? 

That program has been in shambles for a long time, and I think the program was desperate for anything to raise the levels of attention and money, even if there was a risk that Deion would crash and burn in a short time.  If/when that happens, they'll be in the same position they were at the time they hired Deion, but with a little more money in their pocket.

Players wanting their own personal theme/fight song seems to be an idea gaining in popularity.
Makes me think of MMA fighters who walk into the arena with the song of their choice being blared over the loudspeakers.

When you start paying players, you start making the game more about them and less about the college.  
This song idea isn't going away.  Look for it to become a thing in the years ahead.

10 minutes ago, Foosters said:

You're not wrong but it's been a thing in the MLB for at least 25 years. I still have "Ring my Bell" stuck in my head from Derek Bell's ABs in the Astrodome 

Wrong comparison. Those are walk up songs or intro songs.   Never have we seen a narcissistic requirement that after a good play they play a certain song just for that player.   A player who by the way requires the offensive line, running backs and wide receivers to also make all their plays in order for the play to be a success.  All of whom don't get their own song...well they would, if the traditional school song is played.

And as for MLB, the new clock rules has made walk up songs last about the first 3-4 seconds of any song.  Often you can't even tell what song it was with the current set up.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, ABSR said:

Wrong comparison. Those are walk up songs or intro songs.   Never have we seen a narcissistic requirement that after a good play they play a certain song just for that player.   A player who by the way requires the offensive line, running backs and wide receivers to also make all their plays in order for the play to be a success.  All of whom don't get their own song...well they would, if the traditional school song is played.

And as for MLB, the new clock rules has made walk up songs last about the first 3-4 seconds of any song.  Often you can't even tell what song it was with the current set up.

I was comparing it to the MMA walk in songs referenced in the post directly above mine, and the notion that such a concept was novel. I'm not saying that it's equivalent to a player demanding that the school band cease playing the fight song in favor of a personalized soundtrack.

26 minutes ago, DigglerontheHoof said:

I would ask if CU fans are melting down about not playing their fight song after Shedeur scores but then I remembered no body really gives a shit about football there. 

Lol yep. They do not care at all about football. Deion, despite his snake oil shitty ways, created attention and actually got some form of NIL going there.

31 minutes ago, South Austin said:

That program has been in shambles for a long time, and I think the program was desperate for anything to raise the levels of attention and money, even if there was a risk that Deion would crash and burn in a short time.  If/when that happens, they'll be in the same position they were at the time they hired Deion, but with a little more money in their pocket.

Other factors involved, but before Deion arrived, CU had spent decades in a power conference. After Deion leaves, they’ll be in the 2024 version of Conference USA. 

2 minutes ago, Bender Bending Rodriguez said:

Other factors involved, but before Deion arrived, CU had spent decades in a power conference. After Deion leaves, they’ll be in the 2024 version of Conference USA

C'mon.  Don't go Aggie on us.  As a whole, the B12 is definitely a step below the SECX3 and B1G, especially at the top, but it's not CUSA.  At the top of the B12, there are plenty of the leftover P5/4 teams that are a significant step above the CUSA.  Both the SECX3 and B1G also have their share of filler.  

One thing people are leaving out of this is that there is a major culture clash at CU.  The prevailing attitude among the admin and faculty is that football is a waste of money.  That's why the program deteriorated as far as it did.  The dumpster fire that is the Deion show will make sure that CU reverts quickly to deemphasizing football, once he burns it to the ground on the way out.   

• Hook 'Em 4

50 minutes ago, Longboard Horn said:

Miss me yet?

640px-Barnett_at_Fiesta_Bowl_cropped.jpg

At the start of the 2005 season they were talking extension then he ended up getting fired with the buyout deal being a million bucks for every point they could score against Texas in the B12 championship game.  He really really hates Aaron Ross to this very day for blocking that field goal in that game

14 hours ago, Rex Kramer said:

Rhule can flat out coach. Saying so isn’t stroking his dick. Deion doesn’t know the first thing about coaching or building a program. He’s a loud mouth idiot and always has been. 

Last year Deion sounded off that Matt Rhule "had to go and make it personal" and that he "took shots" at their program. Literally, nothing happened. Rhule did an innocuous interview and was asked about the portal. Rhule simply stated that he'd use the portal but that he still believed the fundamental approach to building a roster was high school recruiting, because obviously. Deion, somehow, framed and presented this as an attack on him, because he'd just run off 80 players and everything in the universe is directly correlated to him. 

The only thing I can assume is that it was a dumb attempt at motivation with a rival. It's a decades old rivalry that doesn't really need that kind of fuel anywayl. But the dumbest part of doing that is he juxtaposed himself with Rhule: a guy taking over a program in the same time frame as him and they're both attempting to rebuild. Rhule, a guy who has definitively already accomplished that at two different schools. Sanders, a guy who hasn't. 

That made their year two match-up a boldfaced, direct measurement of who was on a better path. I mean we all already knew the safest pick in that race. But deion didn't understand how this simple, two step sequence would play out perception wise. Corn is vastly improved but still not very good but far better on both sides of the ball in year two. And they have a talented freshman qb who will be granted patience to go and learn and fuck things up and make mistakes along with the transition. Colorado? The current discussion there is about Shedeur's auto-tuned rap song, him continuing to spray fetid, liquid flu feces down on his teammates and whether or not they'll proceed with getting the best player in college football crippled before he can go to the NFL.

And I bet Matt Rhule was nice about it and probably called him to explain that he had no idea what he'd done wrong. And last week Rhule got to pat deion on the back and tell him he thinks he's great after kicking the shit out of him. 

Anyway, tldr, it's just funny to me how short-sighted deion is even at self promotion, which everyone will still insist is something he does well. He basically picked a street fight with a polite version of Mike Tyson.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2