Deion Sanders "Coach Prime" Now At Colorado

Don Johnson

That birthday wish is funny. It only covers the easy part of the job - the part even a Charlie Strong can do - "molding young men" yadda yadda yadda. But winning on the field? Eh, not my department.  That's on ya'll. Good luck!

Damn coach, couldn't even wish for 6-6?

25 minutes ago, Zeus said:

The Rig12 is going to hand him the conference. They will ride the hype train WWE style.

I don't deny the basic premise of Big XII picking an enemy. It's clear it was Texas prior to our departure. However, it may turn out that CU being a media attention whore all off season gives them a new enemy to focus on this season. I am confident though, that officials will greatly favor or punish CU. I just hope they pick them as the enemy because the The Prime show would be a 3 ring circus of entertainment.

• Hook 'Em 2

20 minutes ago, CurlyDumps said:

That birthday wish is funny. It only covers the easy part of the job - the part even a Charlie Strong can do - "molding young men" yadda yadda yadda. But winning on the field? Eh, not my department.  That's on ya'll. Good luck!

Damn coach, couldn't even wish for 6-6?

I'm never going to defend Charlie Strong, but I will note that I don't recall gun issues in the locker room, legal liability issues, claims of bankruptcy, nor social media "events" during his tenure.

Coach Prime is in a league of his own.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, BurntEyes said:

Coach Prime is in a league of his own.

In a way, he is very much like Coach FUPM, but with a different demeanor and considerably less on-the-field coaching success.

And... the Name of the Game is Entertainment.

Are-you-not-entertained.gif

14 minutes ago, Tex Long said:

In a way, he is very much like Coach FUPM, but with a different demeanor and considerably less on-the-field coaching success.

Man, not to defend Mack Brown, but he never ran shitloads of players off the team like Deion. There were several times in Mack's career where a player would have a career ending injury and they'd keep him on the roster to honor his scholarship. I could never, ever see Deion do anything even close to that, he'd kick someone out for looking at his son wrong. For all that we call FUPM, Mack Brown still didn't treat his players like they were disposable.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, WelfareBuysMyWeed said:

Man, not to defend Mack Brown, but he never ran shitloads of players off the team like Deion. There were several times in Mack's career where a player would have a career ending injury and they'd keep him on the roster to honor his scholarship. I could never, ever see Deion do anything even close to that, he'd kick someone out for looking at his son wrong. For all that we call FUPM, Mack Brown still didn't treat his players like they were disposable.

In a way...

45 minutes ago, Tex Long said:

There would be no film nor TV without an antagonist. Sports like other mediums loves to build people up and then tear them down. Perhaps even more so than in the standard celebrity world as there are clear undeniable measurements of success and failure.

What would the last 20 years have been with out Stoops, Meyer, Bowden, Paterno (another league of his own), Fisher (Jimbo and Jeff), Spurier, Switzer, Jimmy Johnson, and of course Saban.

I'm not going to compare Mack to Deion, as it's just too different at this point. I'm not debating the core of your argument, that they were both petulant asses. However, Mack never has the "showmanship" of Prime's pedigree. Particularly, being only 4 years in to his head coaching career. Deion really is in a class of his own, regardless of any parallels to other coaches. None were so egocentric and egomaniacal 4 years into their college coaching career. He talk like and allows his players to behave like Switzer... with 4 season on his resume. 3 of which were Jackson State.

Edited by BurntEyes

7 minutes ago, BurntEyes said:

... I'm not going to compare Mack to Deion, as it's just too different at this point. I'm not debating the core of your argument, that they were both petulant asses. 

I apologize for confusing you, but saying you're not going to compare, after comparing and followed by continuing to compare doesn't improve whatever your argument is. 

The actual point I was trying to make was not about petulant assiness, it was "Fuck You, Pay Me" conflation. I thought it was clear by using the term FUPM, but I was wrong. At least, in your case.

Clearly, I have failed you, and probably others. I accept that and will trouble the thread no more... at least, not on that point.

1 hour ago, Tex Long said:

I apologize for confusing you, but saying you're not going to compare, after comparing and followed by continuing to compare doesn't improve whatever your argument is. 

The actual point I was trying to make was not about petulant assiness, it was "Fuck You, Pay Me" conflation. I thought it was clear by using the term FUPM, but I was wrong. At least, in your case.

Clearly, I have failed you, and probably others. I accept that and will trouble the thread no more... at least, not on that point.

Super valuable clarification and insight. I'm truly grateful you took the time to explain to my ignorant ass. 

The world is better for it, and particularly your open and clear display of child like petulant behavior similar to Mack and Deion. 

It's great, and these types of arguments are so very productive. If only Surly had more of them.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 8/10/2024 at 7:45 AM, markstanco said:

Probably so. Vegas only sees 5.5 wins with 2 likely top 10 draft picks. Then it goes down next year.

Looking at their schedule, I would hammer the under:

• vs. NDSU - should probably win but could very easily lose
  • @ Nebraska - I think Rhuel in year 2 handles them easily
  • @ Colorado State - should have lost to them at home last year. Very easily could lose
  • vs. Baylor - will Baylor have a bounce-back year? This looks like their best/easiest chance for a conference win on paper
  • @ UCF - they will get blasted
  • vs. K-State - loss
  • @ Arizona - loss
  • vs. Cincy - best chance outside of Baylor for a conference win
  • @ Texas Tech - probably a loss
  • vs. Utah - loss
  • @ KU - loss
  • vs. OSU - loss

Honestly I think the absolute best case for them at this point is 4-8.  Wins vs. NDSU and CSU in non-conference and then 2 conference wins from Baylor, Cincy and maybe Texas Tech.

The train wreck version is probably lose all three non-conference games and win maybe 1 Big 12 game.

I think 3-9 is probably about the most likely outcome.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, oSuJeff97 said:

• @ Colorado State - should have lost to them at home last year. Very easily could lose
  • vs. Baylor - will Baylor have a bounce-back year? This looks like their best/easiest chance for a conference win on paper
  • vs. K-State - loss
  • @ Arizona - loss
  • vs. Utah - loss
  • @ KU - loss
  • vs. OSU - loss

Honestly I think the absolute best case for them at this point is 4-8.  Wins vs. NDSU and CSU in non-conference and then 2 conference wins from Baylor, Cincy and maybe Texas Tech.

The train wreck version is probably lose all three non-conference games and win maybe 1 Big 12 game.

CU was Charmin-soft last year. Those first three teams are physical and will push them around. Very good chance they start 0-3. 

27 minutes ago, BurntEyes said:

Super valuable clarification and insight. I'm truly grateful you took the time to explain to my ignorant ass. 

The world is better for it, and particularly your open and clear display of child like petulant behavior similar to Mack and Deion. 

It's great, and these types of arguments are so very productive. If only Surly had more of them.

"child-like"

1 hour ago, oSuJeff97 said:

• vs. K-State - loss
  • @ Arizona - loss
  • vs. Utah - loss
  • @ KU - loss
  • vs. OSU - loss

My official prediction is 6-6.  They have some wild volatility as the best teams on their schedule all play in Boulder. I don’t see a “they definitely can’t win this game” game. I also don’t see a “they’re for sure winning this game” game. 

Probable Ls: KState, Okie State, Utah

Tossup: Nebraska, UCF, Tech, Arizona, Kansas (it’s late in the year - will Daniels be healthy?  If KU has their guys I’d move to probable L). 

Probable Ws: NDSU, CSU, Baylor, Cincy

Now if CU swoons midseason and the wheels come off the locker room, then 3-9 or something is in play. But that feels like a worst case. I just think their ceiling is higher than 4-8. 

1 hour ago, oSuJeff97 said:

• vs. K-State - loss
  • @ Arizona - loss
  • vs. Utah - loss
  • @ KU - loss
  • vs. OSU - loss

I don't care about the game, but I'm kinda looking forward to Deion's take on Lubbock.

1 hour ago, MrX said:

My official prediction is 6-6.  They have some wild volatility as the best teams on their schedule all play in Boulder. I don’t see a “they definitely can’t win this game” game. I also don’t see a “they’re for sure winning this game” game. 

Probable Ls: KState, Okie State, Utah

Tossup: Nebraska, UCF, Tech, Arizona, Kansas (it’s late in the year - will Daniels be healthy?  If KU has their guys I’d move to probable L). 

Probable Ws: NDSU, CSU, Baylor, Cincy

Now if CU swoons midseason and the wheels come off the locker room, then 3-9 or something is in play. But that feels like a worst case. I just think their ceiling is higher than 4-8. 

Yeah part of the problem is the way their schedule sets up.

Yes they get to play what most consider the top 3 teams in the Big 12 (K-State, Utah, OSU) all at home, but with the caveat that both Utah and OSU are late in the year... 2 of their last 3 games.

I think there's a decent chance they are floundering and wouldn't be surprised if Hunter and Sanders opt out if they are something like 2-6 after their game with Tech in Lubbock on Nov. 9. Then they have to finish with Utah, @ Kansas, Oklahoma State.  Those three games could get real ugly if they have given up at that point...

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, oSuJeff97 said:

Yeah part of the problem is the way their schedule sets up.

Yes they get to play what most consider the top 3 teams in the Big 12 (K-State, Utah, OSU) all at home, but with the caveat that both Utah and OSU are late in the year... 2 of their last 3 games.

I think there's a decent chance they are floundering and wouldn't be surprised if Hunter and Sanders opt out if they are something like 2-6 after their game with Tech in Lubbock on Nov. 9. Then they have to finish with Utah, @ Kansas, Oklahoma State.  Those three games could get real ugly if they have given up at that point...

Oh yeah if they’re 2-6 they’re turbofucked. 

That press conference was an embarrassment. His thin skinned bullshit is going to get old really quick. It will be amusing watching him meltdown and it get worse for him. His martyr complex is tiresome. Not everyone is going to kiss your ass all the time. 

Edited by mdmost
  • Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, oSuJeff97 said:

Colorado is only -2.5 against NDSU based on S&P+?

Jesus that's basically a toss-up.

If they lose that game, 1-11 or 2-10 is in play.

I’m here for it. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, mdmost said:

That press conference was an embarrassment. His thin skinned bullshit is going to get old really quick. It will be amusing watching him meltdown and it get worse for him. His martyr complex is tiresome. Not everyone is going to kiss your ass all the time. 

The media up here fucking hates him.  The Denver Post has two Kurt Bohls types who seem to crank out a Deion hate column once a week.

On 8/12/2024 at 6:25 AM, Litig8r said:

Long Story but sounds like Warren Zevon.. A music idol of mine who was a total douche about giving an interview to friend of mine.  Seems like my buddy didn't PRAISE his latest release enough.  There was cursing, equipment throwing, and a simple fuck no he won't talk to you at the end.  Zevon was wearing those scrunchy toes Reebok aerobic shoes anyway.  Bout at  size 6..

• Haha 2

25 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

This makes sense. Deion was likely hoping to leverage some expertise with regard to managing dissident journalists lining up to poke holes in his regime.

He's absolutely about controlling the narrative, and really doesn't even hide that reality. That or he's just bad at it, hence the education efforts.

Edited by BurntEyes

I'm not sure why so many list CSU as a probably win for CU. They played last year in boulder and CU needed a 98 yard drive (including a ~50 yd TD pass) plus the 2 pt conversion in the last 1:30 just to get to OT. This year the game is in Fort Collins, and from what little I have read re: CSU  in matchup articles about our game, CSU is predicted to be better this year. That seems like a tossup to me, if not a lean to CSU. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1