Texas DB & LB Talk

LTtxfan

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Dahobbs said:

Biggest difference this game compared to pretty much any game last year is that all our DBs seemed to know their jobs. We didn't have the gaffes in coverage that cost us many times last year. 

Definitely. Communication and situational awareness looked markedly improved. Have ot give a shout out to Lefau. LB depth was a concern coming into this season. That kid looks ready  

• Hook 'Em 1

On 3/8/2024 at 7:36 PM, LTtxfan said:

Texas DB Michael Taaffe on the Trials of Walking-On & Hosting Arch Manning’s Visit 

3rd & Longhorn       Mar 8, 2024

Alex Okafor, Derrick Johnson, Jeremy Hills, and Nick Shuley are joined by Texas defensive back, Michael Taaffe. They discuss the trials he faced as a walk-on at Texas, what motivates him, the vibe of the DB room, and what it was like hosting Arch Manning’s official visit

• Hook 'Em 6

17 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Texas secondary and LBs defended the 1st down line much better on 3rd downs.  Definitely seeing more aggressive play and tackling from LBs/DBs.

Indeed.  Noticed on replay the corners and LBs sitting on 1st down mark.  Never noticed that last year.  Is that Nansen or simply zero worries about their passing game deep? 

1 hour ago, TheAuditor said:

Indeed.  Noticed on replay the corners and LBs sitting on 1st down mark.  Never noticed that last year.  Is that Nansen or simply zero worries about their passing game deep? 

Couple things.  Are you a Badger?  Thought maybe you are.

As The Auditor shouldn’t you have some support for this claim.

Theres more to the story but how do we lead the country in 3rd down defense last year and disregard the down marker?  

That said this staff gives the indication that all areas for improvement are considered and more aggression is desired.  For this game, I would assume we weren’t threatened with them beating us down the field.

32 minutes ago, Had Enough said:

Couple things.  Are you a Badger?  Thought maybe you are.

As The Auditor shouldn’t you have some support for this claim.

Theres more to the story but how do we lead the country in 3rd down defense last year and disregard the down marker?  

That said this staff gives the indication that all areas for improvement are considered and more aggression is desired.  For this game, I would assume we weren’t threatened with them beating us down the field.

Nope.  Not a Badger.  Texas undergrad and grad.  Not a mathematical proof as much as an observation that I saw 5 wide sitting on the yard marker against Mich and I couldn't remember seeing that from this Team in the previous couple years.  Maybe it's been there and I've never noticed.   

55 minutes ago, TheAuditor said:

Nope.  Not a Badger.  Texas undergrad and grad.  Not a mathematical proof as much as an observation that I saw 5 wide sitting on the yard marker against Mich and I couldn't remember seeing that from this Team in the previous couple years.  Maybe it's been there and I've never noticed.   

Sorry I go a little cryptic from time to time.  Meant hs Badger not Wisconsin.  

I had assumed Mukuba was brought in to drop down and press at the LOS with some man coverage but was essentially told I was a dipshit (perhaps true) for such a consideration.  Our S last year did drop down into man but not sure they pressed.  We were generally fine on out breaking routes, but that’s not ideal chasing across the field and certainly not against WRs.  The 6 DB look in theory should allow for more aggressive coverage.  McDonald working at S and over the slot might be an indicator of what you’re saying too.  Hard to find fault with our 3rd down success rate last year but trying to improve something that was good is a great philosophy.

• Hook 'Em 1

57 minutes ago, jdhorn92 said:

What position is Ty Anthony ?  I was struck by how small he looked.  I thought he was a LB size. Could be misremembering 

He's a weakside LB. He's always been small for a LB. He's put on weight since arriving at Texas (197 in high school to a 220 listing now. I'm skeptical of 220 though), but still small. Lauded for his athleticism, coverage, and cognitive ability, which is why he's already competing for PT after Hill and Gbenda. Once he puts on some more weight, he'll be an awesome player.

Edited by MuellerHorn
  • Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, MuellerHorn said:

He's a weakside LB. He's always been small for a LB. He's put on weight since arriving at Texas (197 in high school to a 220 listing now. I'm skeptical of 220 though), but still small. Lauded for his athleticism, coverage, and cognitive ability, which is why he's already competing for PT after Hill and Gbenda. Once he puts on some more wright, he'll be an awesome player.

Thank you. Had to do a double take when I saw T. Smith on the jersey.  

• Hook 'Em 1

On 9/10/2024 at 9:58 PM, LTtxfan said:

Definitely noticed him several times in the game. It’s amazing how there are massive differences between a great safety and an average safety. It’s been awhile since our safeties were noticeable. 

• Hook 'Em 2

33 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

Definitely noticed him several times in the game. It’s amazing how there are massive differences between a great safety and an average safety. It’s been awhile since our safeties were noticeable. 

Crazy how many DBs from last year exited via the portal (see below)

Combining Portal Destinations for 2024...

Spring/Summer

• Kitan Crawford           DB       Nevada
  • Terrance Brooks         DB       Illinois
  • Austin Jordan             DB       TOADS

--------------------------------------------

Winter   (Update 1/18/24)

• DB  Larry Turner-Gooden  San Jose St.
  • DB   Xavion Brice     North Texas
  • DB   BJ Allen Jr.       North Texas
  • DB   Jalen Catalon    UNLV
  • S     Jerrin Thompson   AwwBrrnn 

Edited by LTtxfan
Added Jerrin
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, LTtxfan said:

Crazy how many DBs from last year exited via the portal (see below)

Combining Portal Destinations for 2024...

Spring/Summer

• Kitan Crawford           DB       Nevada
  • Terrance Brooks         DB       Illinois
  • Austin Jordan             DB       TOADS

--------------------------------------------

Winter   (Update 1/18/24)

• DB  Larry Turner-Gooden  San Jose St.
  • DB   Xavion Brice     North Texas
  • DB   BJ Allen Jr.       North Texas
  • DB   Jalen Catalon    UNLV
  • S     Jerrin Thompson   AwwBrrnn 

Not a lot of falling upward on that list. 

On 9/10/2024 at 1:19 PM, jdhorn92 said:

Thank you. Had to do a double take when I saw T. Smith on the jersey.  

Smith with a monster fourth-down stop getting shot out of a cannon at around the 3:17 mark of the third quarter. Dude is a player (you didn't say he wasn't; just saying he is), but   needs to gain more good weight.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, MuellerHorn said:

Smith with a monster fourth-down stop getting shot out of a cannon at around the 3:17 mark of the third quarter. Dude is a player (you didn't say he wasn't; just saying he is), but   needs to gain more good weight.

Nice! I didnt get to watch as closely as normal this week.  Ill try and find it on replay.  Thank you