Tell me about Florida

George Clooney

Oh btw, the stadium is just about always open, you can walk right in.  You'll see folks working out running the stairs.  When there was artificial turf you could walk onto the field too.   There was a big F instead of the Gator head.   People used to sneak in at night and F on the F or so I'm told, I totally wouldn't know anything about that, like at all.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 2/16/2024 at 12:47 PM, locodos said:

Perhaps, but wasted freshmen will never know the joy of hopping on an old school bus and getting carted off to a 24hr diner that has a 30min wait at 2AM.  Then you get seated and there is a band playing kids songs and the whole restaurant is singing Puff the Magic Dragon.

That does not exist and it's a tragedy.  

Also the student ghetto looks very corporate now.

RIP

• Burrito Brothers
  • Leonardos
  • Skeeters
  • Balls
  • Copper Monkey
  • Joe's Deli
  • Iveys
  • Rocky Rococco (Chain)
  • CJ's

Pour one out.  Grad school for me 93-95, GA on the Sports Medicine staff.  To this list I would add the oh-so-politically incorrect Chinee Takee Outee and the $3.99 large one topping carry out special at Hungry Howie's.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 2/16/2024 at 12:47 PM, locodos said:

Perhaps, but wasted freshmen will never know the joy of hopping on an old school bus and getting carted off to a 24hr diner that has a 30min wait at 2AM.  Then you get seated and there is a band playing kids songs and the whole restaurant is singing Puff the Magic Dragon.

That does not exist and it's a tragedy.  

Also the student ghetto looks very corporate now.

RIP

• Burrito Brothers
  • Leonardos
  • Skeeters
  • Balls
  • Copper Monkey
  • Joe's Deli
  • Iveys
  • Rocky Rococco (Chain)
  • CJ's

People porpoise 

1 hour ago, Zeus said:

People porpoise 

I'm assuming this was an autocorrect victim.  The Purple Porpoise was a staple on the strip for a long time.  Definitely belongs on the list.

(insert angry dolphin joke here)

Edited by SurlyGator
  • Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, SurlyGator said:

I'm assuming this was an autocorrect victim.  The Purple Porpoise was a staple on the strip for a long time.  Definitely belongs on the list.

(insert angry dolphin joke here)

Yeah I had some great memories there, but I was between 4 and like 10 so it was all just soda and arcades. 

Gator Zone I think is there now, while it ain't the same. It's not so bad. 

• 4 months later...
1 hour ago, DFW Horn said:

FSU, UCF, and Miami all in the same season OOC? What's the over/under on total wins for UF this season - 5?

Napier is toast

57 minutes ago, SurlyGator said:

I plan to drink heavily this Fall.

Screenshot_2024-07-19-19-28-58_kindlephoto-6902327.thumb.png.d1ae997b425d3692ccc671a72e5063ca.png

Poor Florida and Napier. Schedule is set for a .500 record would be an accomplishment. I think they are really headed in the right direction, just don’t the waking up to be the Saturday in Austin.

Hook’em!!!

8 minutes ago, msucolt45 said:

I think they are really headed in the right direction

Was it losing the last 5 games of the season last year to not qualify for a bowl game that convinced you Billy has it rolling now?

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, msucolt45 said:

Poor Florida and Napier. Schedule is set for a .500 record would be an accomplishment. I think they are really headed in the right direction, just don’t the waking up to be the Saturday in Austin.

Hook’em!!!

Hmmm, I think they could/will be favored or at least it will be a close line on:

Samford

aggie

@MSU

UCF

Ole Miss

@FSU

They get what, on paper, appears to be their toughest games at home save FSU which, yes a rival but I think FSU is going to be a dumpster fire.

I think 6-7 wins isn't out of the question, though, I admit neither is 4.

• 1 month later...

I think Florida can beat aggy. They're total dog shit on offense, and their defense has no depth. Their offensive line is one of, if not the worst in CFB. They have no skill position players worth a shit. Their db's are meh outside of Bryce Anderson. Their only good TE, Donovan Green, just came back from injury, so it's possible he won't even be healthy. 

I think Florida can beat aggy. They're total dog shit on offense, and their defense has no depth. Their offensive line is one of, if not the worst in CFB. They have no skill position players worth a shit. Their db's are meh outside of Bryce Anderson. Their only good TE, Donovan Green, just came back from injury, so it's possible he won't even be healthy. 

Yes - three days away and the National media doesn’t even consider the aggy dogshit OL. Experienced shit still stinks!

Only thing is aggy stink will be going against the best portion of the ND roster. I expect a total score of less than 40.

If ND wins this game, I expect Florida to win vs aggy in the Swamp.

Hook’em!!!
  • Like 1

Hmmm, I think they could/will be favored or at least it will be a close line on:
Samford
aggie
@MSU
UCF
Ole Miss
@FSU
They get what, on paper, appears to be their toughest games at home save FSU which, yes a rival but I think FSU is going to be a dumpster fire.
I think 6-7 wins isn't out of the question, though, I admit neither is 4.

Which one of those home games do you expect to be tougher than @ Texas?

Edit: they also play Georgia and Tennessee on the road

24 minutes ago, Drifterwood said:

Which one of those home games do you expect to be tougher than @ Texas?

Edit: they also play Georgia and Tennessee on the road

Georgia is Neutral sight not a road game.

Miami, Ole Miss, UK, LSU and UCF at home are harder than @FSU, @MSU, and @Tennessee.

Wanna call Georgia in Jacksonville an "away", not accurate but fine. It's not truly a home game either in fairness. Thus their road games could be argued as harder than home. Happy?

The entire point of my post was where I thought Florida's record would be. Not debating the aspects of whether their home or away schedule was more difficult. Note the "what on paper appears" part of the post you quoted.

Edited by BurntEyes

Florida has to find a way to win 8 games if Napier wants to save his job, but that's a tall order. He's only going into his 3rd season, so I don't think he'll be fired unless they go something like 3-7 or 2-8; maybe even 4-6. They have too much talent to be as shitty as they are. Napier has recruited really well, so he has to show competitiveness and win a few they're not supposed to. 

He's on the Charlie Strong train, which I didn't think anyone was as shitty of a coach than that guy. 

He's not as bad as CS, but he's pretty damn bad. As you noted, they have talent. I don't think they will be terrible, but I don't see a winning record either. 

I just hope they lose to Texas and beat aggie. Only ones I really care about.

Georgia is Neutral sight not a road game.
Miami, Ole Miss, UK, LSU and UCF at home are harder than @FSU, @MSU, and @Tennessee.
Wanna call Georgia in Jacksonville an "away", not accurate but fine. It's not truly a home game either in fairness. Thus their road games could be argued as harder than home. Happy?
The entire point of my post was where I thought Florida's record would be. Not debating the aspects of whether their home or away schedule was more difficult. Note the "what on paper appears" part of the post you quoted.

I blanked on the neutral site aspect of the Georgia game when I looked at who was listed as the home team. My bad. Still think it’s weird to entirely omit the Texas game from both posts but whatever.

The entire home slate might be about even with the entire true away slate, in aggregate. They’re fucked either way, especially if they don’t start with a W against Miami at home.
  • Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, Drifterwood said:

I blanked on the neutral site aspect of the Georgia game when I looked at who was listed as the home team. My bad. Still think it’s weird to entirely omit the Texas game from both posts but whatever.

The entire home slate might be about even with the entire true away slate, in aggregate. They’re fucked either way, especially if they don’t start with a W against Miami at home.

Well, I did list the 6 teams that I thought they might be favored to win, and followed up with a potential 6-7 win season with 4 not being unrealistic. I didn't specifically note that the other games, including @Texas would be likely losses. That could have been fairly easily deduced, imo. For the record I don't think they'll beat Texas and it is one of Florida's toughest games on the schedule. My first instinct when looking at these things isn't always a Texas fan first.

Seems ultimately we aren't that far apart in our assessments so.. Basically we're arguing semantics, which I love and are always super productive. 

Edited by BurntEyes

11 hours ago, Funk Doctor Spock said:

Florida has to find a way to win 8 games if Napier wants to save his job, but that's a tall order. He's only going into his 3rd season, so I don't think he'll be fired unless they go something like 3-7 or 2-8; maybe even 4-6. They have too much talent to be as shitty as they are. Napier has recruited really well, so he has to show competitiveness and win a few they're not supposed to. 

He's on the Charlie Strong train, which I didn't think anyone was as shitty of a coach than that guy. 

Thats an impressive display of idiocy packed into two sentences. 

• Haha 3

Nothing happens in a bubble. The record alone doesn't really tell us anything.

Napier is probably not going to get fired unless he loses the team and recruiting class, which is just OK at this point.

Next year's schedule is not much easier, so you have the additional challenge of finding a coach who would be willing to walk into that.

vs. UGA
Texas
Tennessee
FSU
@ LSU
@ Miami
@ A&M
@ Kentucky
@ Ole Miss
Miss St
USF
FAMU

There are plenty of Gators who think that Jedd Fisch would be interested but he just got to Washington and I can't imagine him wanting to walk into the current schedule at UF.

I feel like even if Napier just treads water this year, he'll get another year.

After that, we could be looking at a new coach and a new AD. UF also has a new prez search going on which I won't go into because it's quite political.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, gatormarc said:

vs. UGA
Texas
Tennessee
FSU
@ LSU
@ Miami
@ A&M
@ Kentucky
@ Ole Miss
Miss St
USF
FAMU

I love the Gators' commitment to reducing the carbon footprint for college football by playing all non-conference games versus FL opponents.

That said, there aren't many programs, especially SEC, that play two power conference opponents in the non-conference. They'll always have Florida St, but the Gators add to their misery by having home-and-homes with ND, AZ St, Colorado, NC St. What are they thinking? Do you think they'll try to wiggle out of some of these?

As an aside, as an OU fan, I've been a proponent of bring the OU-Ok St game back every other year so the Sooners can continue to play other non-Ok St power conference opponents in the non-conference part of the schedule.

19 minutes ago, quigley said:

That said, there aren't many programs, especially SEC, that play two power conference opponents in the non-conference. They'll always have Florida St, but the Gators add to their misery by having home-and-homes with ND, AZ St, Colorado, NC St. What are they thinking? Do you think they'll try to wiggle out of some of these?

I really don't know. We've already lost one OOC series -- California -- to a combination of UF looking to remove an OOC game in anticipation of the SEC going to 9 and Cal suddenly having a lot more east coast road trips and swapping it for a series with UCLA.

A lot of these games were added with the expectation of a 12 or 16 game playoff where having a good schedule will make up for a couple of losses.

Miami has been on the books for awhile if not officially announced, then by a common understanding. The former AD made a point to schedule Miami whenever we had a year with 2 bye weeks.

Also, the current AD picked a tougher schedule to get more good games in the Swamp and keep the seats filled at the higher prices they're charging. I think only one game last year wasn't a sellout: McNeese St.

The schedule also got tougher because of OU and UTx joining. 

We basically traded Texas for Mizzou and Ole Miss for Vandy the next 2 years.

12 hours ago, gatormarc said:

I really don't know. We've already lost one OOC series -- California -- to a combination of UF looking to remove an OOC game in anticipation of the SEC going to 9 and Cal suddenly having a lot more east coast road trips and swapping it for a series with UCLA.

A lot of these games were added with the expectation of a 12 or 16 game playoff where having a good schedule will make up for a couple of losses.

Miami has been on the books for awhile if not officially announced, then by a common understanding. The former AD made a point to schedule Miami whenever we had a year with 2 bye weeks.

Also, the current AD picked a tougher schedule to get more good games in the Swamp and keep the seats filled at the higher prices they're charging. I think only one game last year wasn't a sellout: McNeese St.

The schedule also got tougher because of OU and UTx joining. 

We basically traded Texas for Mizzou and Ole Miss for Vandy the next 2 years.

Hey man, you’re a regular here and a good poster, but come on with “UTx”. It’s either Texas or UT on this board. Outside of clowns around Knoxville, everyone in the world knows who UT is referencing and you’re on our board to boot. Texas is just fine though as well and preferred. 

• Haha 3

17 hours ago, quigley said:

As an aside, as an OU fan, I've been a proponent of bring the OU-Ok St game back every other year so the Sooners can continue to play other non-Ok St power conference opponents in the non-conference part of the schedule.

I too would love for this to happen.

I'd also love if Texas set up a regular game with a major P4 name. Probably someone in the B1G like Michigan or Ohio State perhaps even a lesser "legacy name" in the ACC Miami or FSU. Oddly, since we still have Pig, aggie and Ousux, I won't really miss much of the old in state teams and I never want to play Baylor again. 

Sorry for any derail. Wasn't my intent.

Edited by BurntEyes

My guys played UF a few times over the years.  I have bittersweet memories of three games.  In 1963 I was a 7th grade kid and worked a game as an usher in Tuscaloosa, maybe made $5 in tips showing old biddies to their splintery wooden seats.  The Gators rolled in a beat us 10-6, one of only two games Bear Bryant lost in 28 years in Tuscaloosa.  

In 1986 they played us in Birmingham the week after we had pantsed defending NC Penn State.  Our players, including Derrick Thomas and Bobby Humphrey, were all miming the Gator chomp to the UF players as they finished warmups.  Then the game kicked off.  Those fuckers came out and took it to us for all 60 minutes.  They introduced the world to a freshman rb whom we couldn’t tackle or stop.  He ran for over 200 yards that day - Emmit Smith.

In 1991 a buddy and I drove to Gainesville for a night game in Gene Stallings’ second year.  The state newspapers harped on the fact that the Gators had never defeated Bama there but in fact only a handful of Bama games were ever played there and those were in the in old days when the stadium was open ended and somewhat dinky.  This was Spurrier’s first or second year.  It was a hard hitting first half.  We were down only  6-0 at the half.  We had a QB named Vince Sutton who could run like a deer and throw the ball a mile although its destination was always uncertain. After he threw a couple of picks in the 3rd quarter, Stallings pulled him and subbed Jay Barker, who went on to do good things in later games that night he was smashed and sacked every other play.  The Gators humiliated us 35-0, one the worst beat downs I’ve ever seen a Bama football team receive.  This was The Real Swamp and it was steamy, hot and very LOUD.  A UF student greeted the UA president and his wife, “FUCK YOU!”

After the game, we visited the strip and joints called the Purple Porpoise and Balls.  Man, I never saw so much nubile, tan, taut, smiling, bouncing, supple young female flesh as I saw that night.  Thry were most gracious in victory.  All during the game, the sweet aroma of weed smoke wafted forth across the field from the student section, where no cops could go because it was SRO all game.  You do want to get behind the sticks in the Swamp.  But those were Spurrier days.  That fucker took no prisoners.  Their fans are worse than Aggies but not as bad as Aubies.

• Hook 'Em 1

28 minutes ago, Bama Llama said:

In 1991 a buddy and I drove to Gainesville for a night game in Gene Stallings’ second year.  The state newspapers harped on the fact that the Gators had never defeated Bama there but in fact only a handful of Bama games were ever played there and those were in the in old days when the stadium was open ended and somewhat dinky.  This was Spurrier’s first or second year.  It was a hard hitting first half.  We were down only  6-0 at the half.  We had a QB named Vince Sutton who could run like a deer and throw the ball a mile although its destination was always uncertain. After he threw a couple of picks in the 3rd quarter, Stallings pulled him and subbed Jay Barker, who went on to do good things in later games that night he was smashed and sacked every other play.  The Gators humiliated us 35-0, one the worst beat downs I’ve ever seen a Bama football team receive.  This was The Real Swamp and it was steamy, hot and very LOUD.  A UF student greeted the UA president and his wife, “FUCK YOU!”

After the game, we visited the strip and joints called the Purple Porpoise and Balls.  Man, I never saw so much nubile, tan, taut, smiling, bouncing, supple young female flesh as I saw that night.  Thry were most gracious in victory.  All during the game, the sweet aroma of weed smoke wafted forth across the field from the student section, where no cops could go because it was SRO all game.  You do want to get behind the sticks in the Swamp.  But those were Spurrier days.  That fucker took no prisoners.  Their fans are worse than Aggies but not as bad as Aubies.

Fun fact, I was at that game...  sat in the student section about 10 rows up behind the Bama bench. 

CSB/ I've told this story before but deep into the 4th with the game hopelessly out of reach one lone heavily drunken Bama fan would occasionally slur out a loud "ROOOOOOLLLLLLL TIIIIDDE"   This would bring chuckles and laughs since he was an island in a sea of UF students...  Finally during some TV timeout or game stoppage he belts out another long loud ROOOLLLLL TIIIIIIDE!    Gene Stallings himself snapped around and told him to shut the FUCK UP!  Chef's Kiss

That memory feels like a fever dream... 

You got us back in the 1st SEC Championship.  You guys stole one and you know it.

• Like 1

Iocodos, man you know we didn’t steal shot.  You’re just pissed about the high water mark of Gator football, which was just before the kickoff of the 2009 SECCG.  In the 1992 CH, if Spurrier hadn’t been so determined to call that z- out pattern again and again, Langham never would’ve pick-6d it off.  Did you not freeze your balls off that night in Birmingham?! Shit, it was cold.  Rex Grossman must have run that little flip underhand flip handoff pass to Rhett 100 times and we NEVER stopped it.  If it had gone to OT, you had us.  

Glad to know you were at that 35-0 game in the Swamp.  We won the next week over UGA and didn’t lose again for 29 games, one of which was the crashing and burning of the overhyped 1992 Miami Hurricanes.  Stallings was a pure Texas no nonsense guy.  Love that story.  I saw him kick a woman out of a booster dinner talk when he saw her secretly writing on a pad.  My buddy and I still talk about the perfect inverted delta between the golden thighs of a Gator majorette that night who strutted to attention about 20 feet in front of us at halftime.  Good luck to you, brother.  Hope the Gators get it done tomorrow.

• Hook 'Em 1