More layoffs at ESPN

Parliament

13 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

I really hope that I'm not friends with anyone who sees Pat McAfee on television and says, "I'd really like to hear more about what that man has to say."

You're aggy.  You're 100% the target audience for sleeveless shirt, pasty, barely muscular, too loud Pat McAfee.

• Haha 4

The only way I can watch sports on ESPN, or any other channel for that matter, is muted with a strip of paper across the bottom of the screen so my eyes aren't continually drawn to Div II volleyball score updates, every minute on the minute.

Oh, also DVR'd. I start about  an hour after kickoff. After fast forwarding through the endless BK and insurance commercials, incessant replays, and mindless drivel they call a halftime show, I'm usually finishing watching the game right about the time it actually ends.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

3 hours ago, BrazilHorn said:

ESPN could layoff everyone and just have AI announcers and it would be a better product. 

As long as the AI announcers have the Guy Fawkes masked avatars.  They could even have multiple different AI models, and have the worst (dumbest) ones use a clown mask as their avatars.  Then it would be nearly identical to now.

1 hour ago, High Plains Drifter said:

The only way I can watch sports on ESPN, or any other channel for that matter, is muted with a strip of paper across the bottom of the screen so my eyes aren't continually drawn to Div II volleyball score updates, every minute on the minute.

Oh, also DVR'd. I start about  an hour after kickoff. After fast forwarding through the endless BK and insurance commercials, incessant replays, and mindless drivel they call a halftime show, I'm usually finishing watching the game right about the time it actually ends.

Don't forget to turn your phone off because some asshole will eventually text you about some great/poor play.

Last week I tried watching the championship games that were on at the same time, live.  I would try flipping back and forth when one went to commercial.  Eventually the commercial breaks lined up.  What's worse is one time it wasn't just the breaks that lined up but the actual commercial did.  With maybe a 3 second time difference.  Yeah it was a pharma commercial so the chances are pretty high it was showing on probably half of the channels at the same time anyway but WTF?

• Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, High Plains Drifter said:

That usually gets me to the 2H kickoff. 😑

• Haha 1

Here's the problem w/ McAfee: it's actually not that he's a clown.  There are plenty of clowns on TV; hell Corso at his best was a clown.  The problem is he tries to make it all about HIM, as if he's bigger than the game.  Spoiler alert Pat: you're not.  Everything from the wife beater shirts, to his sycophant posse sucking up to him on his show, to his own simulcast from the end zone at the Bama game is all "look at ME" shit.  And if people aren't looking at him enough, he yells louder, does something more outrageous.  I get it, I'm old, OK boomer, etc.  FTR I'm Gen X.  I guess there are plenty of people who like that shit now or he wouldn't be a thing.

I'm a College Gameday casual these days, I'll flip it on in the morning as I'm getting ready on a Saturday or prepping the BBQ.  The thing that really turned me off this year was when he shit on Wazzu for no reason, then after he got dragged for it on Twitter, he started whining about how HE was being disrespected and maybe he should not do Gameday anymore as a result.  Again, all about Pat.  It's like he expected this big uprising of support for people to stroke him and say "Oh no Pat, don't leave, we LOVE you, those mean old Wazzu fans are the bad ones don't listen to them!"  Instead he got...

Episode 2 Whatever GIF

TL;DR fuck Pat McAfee.  I'm sure in a few years the next iteration of him will show up wearing fewer clothes and trying to be more outrageous.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

• 8 months later...

The full article

Spoiler

ESPN has fired “NFL Countdown” host Sam Ponder and analyst Robert Griffin III, sources briefed on the moves told The Athletic.

Both moves were made for financial reasons as ESPN nears the end of its fiscal year at the end of September, according to a source briefed on the matter. Both Ponder and Griffin made more than seven figures annually.

Ponder only worked in the prestigious role of host “NFL Countdown,” but was, for the most part, off for the rest of the year. ESPN generally reserves these types of schedules for the Joe Bucks, Troy Aikmans and Peyton Mannings of its world.

The potential replacements for Ponder include “NFL Live” host Laura Rutledge and “Get Up” host Mike Greenberg.

Griffin, who as recently as last year had been viewed as a rising star at ESPN, had two years remaining on his deal. He was hired three years ago after gaining interest from Fox Sports and ESPN. At the time, sources at both networks raved about what they described as one of the best auditions they had ever seen.

Griffin was replaced on “Monday Night Countdown” this offseason by Jason Kelce. Griffin also served on one of ESPN’s top college game broadcast teams, working with play-by-play announcer Bob Wischusen.

However, Griffin’s stock has fallen, making him a prime candidate to be let go. While his seven-figure per year salary will be honored, his role had diminished to a point where ESPN decided to not keep him on. He was informed of ESPN’s decision on Thursday morning, according to a source briefed on the matter decision.

ESPN declined to comment.

35 minutes ago, Machinator said:

The full article

Hide contents

ESPN has fired “NFL Countdown” host Sam Ponder and analyst Robert Griffin III, sources briefed on the moves told The Athletic.

Both moves were made for financial reasons as ESPN nears the end of its fiscal year at the end of September, according to a source briefed on the matter. Both Ponder and Griffin made more than seven figures annually.

Ponder only worked in the prestigious role of host “NFL Countdown,” but was, for the most part, off for the rest of the year. ESPN generally reserves these types of schedules for the Joe Bucks, Troy Aikmans and Peyton Mannings of its world.

The potential replacements for Ponder include “NFL Live” host Laura Rutledge and “Get Up” host Mike Greenberg.

Griffin, who as recently as last year had been viewed as a rising star at ESPN, had two years remaining on his deal. He was hired three years ago after gaining interest from Fox Sports and ESPN. At the time, sources at both networks raved about what they described as one of the best auditions they had ever seen.

Griffin was replaced on “Monday Night Countdown” this offseason by Jason Kelce. Griffin also served on one of ESPN’s top college game broadcast teams, working with play-by-play announcer Bob Wischusen.

However, Griffin’s stock has fallen, making him a prime candidate to be let go. While his seven-figure per year salary will be honored, his role had diminished to a point where ESPN decided to not keep him on. He was informed of ESPN’s decision on Thursday morning, according to a source briefed on the matter decision.

ESPN declined to comment.

ESPN values flexibility. Ponder wasn't doing herself any favours by sticking to NFL countdown.

Wonder if FS1 picks up one or both of them.

2 minutes ago, Hamttx said:

Does anyone actually believe it was budget cuts? 

I am not sure how the hell it can be considered a budget cut savings when the article specifically mentioned that RG3's contract WOULD still be honored for the next 2 years. which means they are still paying out 7 figures over the next 2 years to him.  

I would love to know what accounting trick can take an employee being owed $19,230 weekly, fire him, but still pay him $1M a year, and call that a cost savings  (just a quick example of a $1m/yr weekly salary)

the only way it would be an actual budget cut is if they took away a show and all the production workers on that show along with the talent.

althogh I guess maybe there is a cost savings of not sending him specifically to a location all year.... but assuming SOMEONE is taking the role of 2nd announcer on a broadcast,  ESPN would still be paying almost the same amount of travel expense anyway.

5 hours ago, Hamttx said:

Does anyone actually believe it was budget cuts? 

The mouse is bleeding badly. They used to use espin to carry them though the low spots but streaming is fucking then up now. All they’ve got is live sports and they had to over pay for them. 

37 minutes ago, Zeus said:

The mouse is bleeding badly. They used to use espin to carry them though the low spots but streaming is fucking then up now. All they’ve got is live sports and they had to over pay for them. 

Nope. ESPN+ is propping up Hulu and Disney Plus. Turned a modest profit on the bundle. 

Football and parks is all they have. 

Ponder losing her job sucks because she’s the breadwinner for that family. 

RG3 is dogshit and will only be missed by Baylor fans. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis

7 hours ago, rage-a-holic said:

Right. She wrote "was" instead of "has". 

Let's compare that to the millions of tweets from US athletes who can't spell a single English word correctly.

Forget spelling. Player interviews back in the day could be brutal, especially the defensive linemen. The inability of a university athlete to string two coherent sentences together was amazing. 
When the Dexter Manly episode came to light it exposed everything about D1 college football. 

53 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

If that did play a part, and the "last straw" was Ponder joining in on the cyberbullying dogpile of a female boxer in order to push a culture war in a country that the boxer has absolutely nothing to do with, and then refusing to apologize when their assertions about the boxer were proven to be completely unfounded and wrong...

...then it's pretty hard to feel sorry for her.

Oh man, seeing these idiots defend it and pretending to care about women's rights is a real laugher.

• Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, Hamttx said:

Forget spelling. Player interviews back in the day could be brutal, especially the defensive linemen. The inability of a university athlete to string two coherent sentences together was amazing. 
When the Dexter Manly* episode came to light it exposed everything about D1 college football. 

* Manley

• Like 1

lol. Disney is trying to cut costs and they have an employee that gets paid a ton of money for a 6 month job, in a role that a monkey could do and people are turning it into a culture war issue.

Must be exhausting to be constantly swinging at ghosts.

• Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, Stringer said:

lol. Disney is trying to cut costs and they have an employee that gets paid a ton of money for a 6 month job, in a role that a monkey could do and people are turning it into a culture war issue.

Only a ton if it's in Washingtons. Use Franklins like a human would, and it's only twenty pounds. 

Comparing a Heisman-winning Rapelor alum to a monkey? Ehhhh, I don't know, maybe jusr a lilbitracist.jpg