All Encompassing Whatcha Smoking With

Both Tacos

I oil mine and season it maybe once per year.  It originally had a painted interior but that burned off after a few years, and I did not want to repaint it.  I feel a lot better without the chemicals in there.

• Hook 'Em 1

Thanks.  I just contacted them and asked to change to an initial boiled linseed oil application.  That will be easier for me to maintain over time.  Saves me $150 too.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...

I got the call.  They started work on her this week.  I'll either pick up the pit on Friday (if it's done by then) or, since the older kid is coming home from school for the weekend, early next week.  Now I need to clear some space on the patio to find room for everything under cover.

• Hook 'Em 1

51 minutes ago, thunderlounge said:

Sounds like the perfect time for child labor. 

While most any time is a good time for child labor, among the things I need him to do on Saturday is vote.  I figure a sheet of OSB cut in half will make rolling that bit pit, which I've tentatively named "Karl Hungus" (because of the logjammin'), into the backyard across the deck, and onto the concrete portion of the patio manageable.

On a semi-related note, I've heard good things and am interested to see how well the removable "slant baffle" that comes with this pit works for evening out the heat in the cooking chamber.  Supposedly, it does a great job.

Edited by dcbc

22 minutes ago, thunderlounge said:

Slant baffle being akin to tuning plate?

Some of these pits have a fixed steel lip in the pass-thru between the firebox and the cook chamber, and they tend not to work that well (and get cut out by users).  The slant (a/k/a "scoop") baffle is fan shaped at the top with some holes cut in it and slants away from the firebox.  So it directs some heat upward, but not immediately and lets some pass through the holes below grate level. 

Tuning plates force heat/smoke underneath them and can be spaced or, otherwise have holes to let it rise up farther down the cook chamber.  I've seen these used more successfully in reverse flow smokers.

Correction: I guess they're called scoop baffles.

fetch?id=1591664&d=1714499898&type=mediu

Edited by dcbc
  • Hook 'Em 1

56 minutes ago, dcbc said:

While most any time is a good time for child labor, among the things I need him to do on Saturday is vote.  I figure a sheet of OSB cut in half will make rolling that bit pit, which I've tentatively named "Karl Hungus" (because of the logjammin'), into the backyard across the deck, and onto the concrete portion of the patio manageable.

On a semi-related note, I've heard good things and am interested to see how well the removable "slant baffle" that comes with this pit works for evening out the heat in the cooking chamber.  Supposedly, it does a great job.

When the moving company moved mine from my old house to my current house, they had two dudes, each with a sturdy hand truck.  They got the bottom plate of each hand truck under the bottom of the pit on each end, lifted, and it easily moved.  It was a bit tough/awkward for the guy on the end with the firebox, but he sort of came in from the side and then once he got it lifted some, was able to move around into better position.

Worked way better than trying to roll it on its own wheels, or worse, trying to lift that gargantuan thing.

Anyway good luck, we're all counting on you.

• Hook 'Em 1

27 minutes ago, utee94 said:

When the moving company moved mine from my old house to my current house, they had two dudes, each with a sturdy hand truck.  They got the bottom plate of each hand truck under the bottom of the pit on each end, lifted, and it easily moved.  It was a bit tough/awkward for the guy on the end with the firebox, but he sort of came in from the side and then once he got it lifted some, was able to move around into better position.

Worked way better than trying to roll it on its own wheels, or worse, trying to lift that gargantuan thing.

Anyway good luck, we're all counting on you.

The plan is to cut a sheet of OSB in half and just make a continuing path to roll it to my back deck.  If the OSB and trailer ramps aren't sufficient to get it on the deck, I have a 2-ton floor jack to encourage it.  from the top of my driveway to the backyard is pretty flat.  So it shouldn't be too awful.  It has 6" rubber coated casters (two swivel).  So as long as it's on a smooth surface, it should roll okay.  Once in place, I don't plan to move it much farther than about 10 feet out on the deck (on a fireproof mat).  So it shouldn't be much of a chore.  The friend who's helping me weighs about 260 and used to do Olympic lifting.  I on the other hand will shriek like Wendy in the Shining if things get too heavy.  Should be fine.

Best laid plans, and so on . . . 

Edited by dcbc

Let's see your smoker.
I've had several styles of smokers over the years from the cheap Walmart buy to competition trailer.
Currently I have 2 insulated vertical smokers. One from Lone Star Grillz and the other from Backyard Bombers. They both have the firebox in the bottom compartment to mix in chunks of wood on top of a bed of coals. Using the minion method seems to work best for stable temperatures.
I've had my fair share of tending to a firebox all night, but this is more set it up and walk away for hours. fd71a8b359f265c951fb28d937fbb4ec.jpg03ffa50d9b91366fd1d31203fe693e8d.jpg9fae8690fd63133d908563f300136aaa.jpgef5cb968911b4df313aebdbebcce45c6.jpga0abd9b0112fff02c9ca3dc84e3c349e.jpg
I sold my Backyard Bomber to another member here several years ago.
It's time to move on from the Lone Star Grillz Vault smoker. Absolutely nothing wrong with it. Just about to get to empty testers and no longer doing competitions so it's overkill for just the wife and I.
I haven't even started pricing it out but would like it to go to a fellow Surly. If anyone is interested, I'll make you a deal to get more room in the garage (kept inside all the time).
  • Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, dcbc said:

The plan is to cut a sheet of OSB in half and just make a continuing path to roll it to my back deck.  If the OSB and trailer ramps aren't sufficient to get it on the deck, I have a 2-ton floor jack to encourage it.  from the top of my driveway to the backyard is pretty flat.  So it shouldn't be too awful.  It has 6" rubber coated casters (two swivel).  So as long as it's on a smooth surface, it should roll okay.  Once in place, I don't plan to move it much farther than about 10 feet out on the deck (on a fireproof mat).  So it shouldn't be much of a chore.  The friend who's helping me weighs about 260 and used to do Olympic lifting.  I on the other hand will shriek like Wendy in the Shining if things get too heavy.  Should be fine.

Best laid plans, and so on . . . 

This brings back some memories haha.

When I first brought my trailer home I spent a good couple of weeks trying to figure out where to put it so that it would be in a good spot for cooking that was also accessible to my driveway for taking it tailgating. I built a brick paver pad and then promptly got the pit home and tried to wheel it off of the driveway into the lawn to the back and it sunk 3" into the sod. I eventually got it back there using a couple of alternating sheets of plywood. I bought a mesh lawn reinforcement system, installed it and a hand dolly cart so I could move the pit back and forth. Realized after 2 months that despite the paver pad and the expensive cover I bought from Tractor Supply the pit was rusting like crazy because of the morning condensation. It has been in the garage ever since. That was about 11 years ago. 

Good looking pit, excited for you to break it in.

• Hook 'Em 1

16 minutes ago, Baboontyme said:

This brings back some memories haha.

When I first brought my trailer home I spent a good couple of weeks trying to figure out where to put it so that it would be in a good spot for cooking that was also accessible to my driveway for taking it tailgating. I built a brick paver pad and then promptly got the pit home and tried to wheel it off of the driveway into the lawn to the back and it sunk 3" into the sod. I eventually got it back there using a couple of alternating sheets of plywood. I bought a mesh lawn reinforcement system, installed it and a hand dolly cart so I could move the pit back and forth. Realized after 2 months that despite the paver pad and the expensive cover I bought from Tractor Supply the pit was rusting like crazy because of the morning condensation. It has been in the garage ever since. That was about 11 years ago. 

Good looking pit, excited for you to break it in.

Thanks.  I thought about the garage.  I used to keep a home brewery about the same size or larger in there.  But I don't want to BBQ in the front yard.  It will be under cover on the back patio (with a cover), and I'll just have to be good about hitting it with oil regularly to keep the rust at bay as best I can.  The ultimate goal is to build a grilling structure in the back of the yard that can be closed off when not in use.  But that's probably several years away (if at all).  But if it happens.  There will be more pictures.