the trump election lawsuit thread of dominance

henrygandorf

2 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

State boards of Accountancy would never allow CPAs to act the way these lawyers have and keep their licenses. We actually have a code of ethics.

the ethics bar for lawyers is pretty damn law. You have to be a special kind of stupid to be disbarred 

7 hours ago, BamaATL said:

The mission of the bar system is not to license attorneys first and foremost.  The purpose is to, among its members; to improve the administration of justice and to advance the science of law.  Additionally, it's to bring a sense of duty and service to the general public.  In order to do so admitting members is part of that, but not central to the association.  Ethical and competency discipline/dismissal are a part of what it does for sure.  I'll even buy the limited resources argument, and I understand the general confidentiality of it all.  

In my opinion, taking the win is sometimes good enough.  In this instance it isn't.  But that is an opinion. 

Mandatory bar associations are all about licensing attorneys.  Any of that other stuff is a salutary side effect, if it even exists at all.

• Hook 'Em 1

Some more perspective on bar associations,

At one time, they were all "integrated" bars, meaning professional associations combined with attorney-licensing entities.   And membership was mandatory, and the professional association aspect of it tended to take various positions on things that drifted over into politics, like the American Bar Association does today.

Some malcontents sued, claiming that mandatory membership and paying dues to a quasi-political organization in the form of the association end of things violated their First Amendment rights.  The courts rather quickly agreed, and many states separated the attorney-licensing aspect from the professional association aspect, and membership in the latter became strictly voluntary.

Texas has maintained an integrated bar, by mostly connecting The State Bar of Texas to the licensing and discipline of attorneys as well as "professional development" in the form of providing mandatory continuing legal education.  The Bar itself tends to avoid taking political or advocacy positions on things outside its fairly limited bailiwick.  The professional development arm of the Texas Bar does go a long way in insuring competence in actual areas that matter for a practicing attorney (cf. the bar exam), as well as fostering some collegiality and professionalism, but that's all mostly in the name of continuing education.  it has to stay extremely, maybe excessively politically even-handed lest some malconent crop up and destroy it.

So, in many states, the "bar" that does licensing and discipline is completely separate from the touchy-feely professional association.  In some, they're the same, but the professional association has to avoid politics as does SBOT.

Edited by TwiceHorn

• 3 months later...

The Kraken has been released.  Well, given probation.  For some reason, probably in that recorded statement:

Sidney K. Powell, a member of Donald J. Trump’s legal team after he lost the 2020 election, pleaded guilty on Thursday morning to six misdemeanor counts instead of facing a criminal trial that was to begin next week. She was among 19 defendants, including Mr. Trump, who were indicted in August for their efforts to subvert the election results in Georgia.

Ms. Powell, 68, who appeared in a downtown Atlanta courtroom, was sentenced to six years of probation for conspiracy to commit intentional interference of election duties. That is a significantly less-severe outcome than she would have faced if found guilty of the charges for which she was originally indicted, which included a violation of the state racketeering law.

She was also fined $6,000 and agreed to pay $2,700 restitution to the state of Georgia, as well as write an apology letter to its citizens.

Prosecutors said in court that Ms. Powell had given them a recorded statement on Wednesday as part of her plea deal. She has agreed to testify against any of the 17 remaining defendants. Ms. Powell has also agreed to turn over documents in her possession related to the case.

• Hook 'Em 1

• 3 months later...
On 7/8/2023 at 2:57 PM, Chad Fuck said:

Almost as bad as doctors, but not quite.

I didn’t know you were a lawyer.

Edit: Whoa, I didn’t notice how old that post was. Lulz. Still, I’ll leave my reply as is.  :)

Edited by WhatTheBuck

3 minutes ago, HenryJames said:

https://apnews.com/article/georgia-elections-true-vote-ballot-stuffing-199113b47bc2df79c63fdf007cd23115

SAVANNAH, Ga. (AP) — A conservative group has told a Georgia judge that it doesn’t have evidence to support its claims of illegal ballot stuffing during the the 2020 general election and a runoff two months later.

Season 1 What GIF by Curb Your Enthusiasm

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

I didn’t know you were a lawyer.

Edit: Whoa, I didn’t notice how old that post was. Lulz. Still, I’ll leave my reply as is.  :)

Aged, but still true.  Dime a dozen around here, apparently.

tony-stark-lexrex.gif

41 minutes ago, HenryJames said:

https://apnews.com/article/georgia-elections-true-vote-ballot-stuffing-199113b47bc2df79c63fdf007cd23115

SAVANNAH, Ga. (AP) — A conservative group has told a Georgia judge that it doesn’t have evidence to support its claims of illegal ballot stuffing during the the 2020 general election and a runoff two months later.

when are some heads gonna fucking roll?

Motherfucker had better sing like a canary.

On October 20, 2023, he pleaded guilty to one felony count of conspiracy to commit filing false documents. As part of his plea bargain, Chesebro accepted five years of PROBATION, $5,000 in restitution, 100 hours of community service, and agreed to testify against Donald Trump and the remaining defendants.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 7/6/2023 at 11:32 AM, cactusflinthead said:

It was the Freemasons.

i’ve been a lawyer too long, and become too old and cynical.  Somewhere in the back of my brain is the thought that since Lin Wood was involved in so much crap at the time, that if he has ever needed as a witness to testify against his former insurrectionists, no DA in their right mind would call a Nutter like him because he would be crossed on the Freemasons and other nuttery

And he might get a pass from some future prosecutor who thinks it’s just not worth his time.  

7 hours ago, bolverk said:

Motherfucker had better sing like a canary.

On October 20, 2023, he pleaded guilty to one felony count of conspiracy to commit filing false documents. As part of his plea bargain, Chesebro accepted five years of PROBATION, $5,000 in restitution, 100 hours of community service, and agreed to testify against Donald Trump and the remaining defendants.

I’ll bet he’s going to come down with a severe case of amnesia.

• 1 month later...

Pro-Trump attorney arrested after hearing over leaking Dominion documents

An attorney facing criminal charges for illegally accessing Michigan voting machines after the 2020 election was arrested Monday after a hearing in a separate case in federal court in Washington, D.C.

Stefanie Lambert was arrested by U.S. Marshals after a hearing over possible sanctions against her for disseminating confidential emails from Dominion Voting Systems, the target of conspiracy theories over former President Donald Trump's 2020 election loss. Lambert obtained the Dominion emails by representing Patrick Byrne, a prominent funder of election conspiracy theorists who is being sued by Dominion for defamation.

In a statement, the Marshals office said Lambert was arrested on "local charges." A Michigan judge earlier this month issued a bench warrant for Lambert after she missed a hearing in her case, in which she's charged with four felonies for accessing voting machines in a search for evidence of a conspiracy theory against Trump. Lambert had earlier, unsuccessfully, sued to overturn Trump's loss in Michigan.

cont'd: https://www.npr.org/2024/03/18/1239384735/pro-trump-attorney-arrested-after-hearing-over-leaking-dominion-documents

• Hook 'Em 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Charges filed against people involved in 2020 Wisconsin false electors scheme - WPR

Wisconsin’s attorney general filed felony charges Tuesday against three people in connection with a 2020 scheme to submit a slate of false electors in support of former President Donald Trump.

Attorneys Kenneth Chesebro and Jim Troupis, as well as political operative Michael Roman, each face one count of felony forgery for their roles in the scheme, which involved signing official-looking documentation claiming that Trump won Wisconsin in 2020, even though he had narrowly lost.

The felony charges were filed Tuesday morning by Attorney General Josh Kaul in Dane County Circuit Court.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

• 2 months later...

Meanwhile, litigation from 2020 continues to keep rolling along:

https://www.thedailybeast.com/pro-trump-lawyer-stefanie-lambert-booted-from-dominion-case-after-leaking-confidential-documents?ref=home

stefanie_lambert_m8axeo

A federal judge in Washington, D.C. took a rare step and disqualified Stefanie Lambert, a Michigan attorney and frequent 2020 election denier, from representing another election denier in one of the many defamation suits filed by Dominion Voting Systems after the lawyer admitted she shared confidential discovery documents.

Lambert was representing Patrick Byrne, the former CEO of Overstock.com, who became notorious for spreading voter fraud conspiracy theories after former President Donald Trump’s loss to President Joe Biden in 2020.

Dominion sued Byrne for defamation, alongside right-wing broadcasters One America News and Newsmax, after spreading conspiracy theories about their voting machines, which were used in several swing states.

Specifically, Byrne claimed that Dominion’s machines were developed by former Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez, who died in 2013, and that the company hired a truck to shred “3,000 pounds of ballots.”

Lambert was added to the case in March, 2024. According to an opinion signed by federal magistrate Judge Moxila A. Upadhyaya on Tuesday, Lambert “began openly violating orders, including by disseminating protected discovery material” before she even made her first appearance before the court.

“Lambert’s repeated misconduct raises the serious concern that she became involved in this litigation for the sheer purpose of gaining access to and publicly sharing Dominion’s protected discovery,” the federal judge wrote.

Spoiler

According to Upadhyaya, Lambert disseminated “thousands of documents, which both the plaintiff and the defendant agreed to keep confidential.” The judge said this move for disqualification was “extraordinary and rarely granted outside of cases involving conflicts of interest.”

After accessing the discovery documents, Lambert sent an email to Dominion’s lawyers explaining that she was handing the documents over to law enforcement.

“I had assumed that you, as counsel, were unaware of the criminal acts contained in discovery. These acts include, but are not limited to, perjury, fraud is [sic] services, wire fraud, and international interference in an election,” Lambert wrote.

According to the court, she handed the documents over to Sheriff Dar Leaf, the sheriff of Barry County in southwestern Michigan. “She reported that she not only gave Leaf documents, but that she also gave him a username and password to the entire repository of Dominion’s Litigation Documents,” Upadhyaya confirmed. Leaf went on to create a Twitter account which posted the discovery documents to the public, the judge said.

However, Lambert “failed to substantiate any of her conclusory allegations that Dominion’s Litigation Documents contain evidence of national security crimes,” the federal judge wrote. “Nor has Lambert explained why, when faced with these documents supposedly reflecting serious crimes of national importance, she chose to disclose them to a single county sheriff in Michigan as opposed to a national law enforcement agency such as the Federal Bureau of Investigation or Department of Justice. To the contrary, Lambert continues to advance these allegations despite being unable to point to any court authority that substantiates them.”

“We are filing an appeal,” Lambert told the Daily Beast in a brief email.

“They may think it was a tactical victory, but they will come to understand it was a strategic mistake,” Byrne told the Associated Press.

Lambert herself faces a slew of felony charges for her actions following the 2020 election. Last year, she was indicted on charges of undue possession of a voting machine, damaging a voting machine, and conspiracy for a scheme that allegedly involved “deceiving” clerks in three Michigan counties to hand over voting machines to “unauthorized third parties.” She has pleaded not guilty.

• Fuck Around and Find Out 3

• 1 month later...

That fucking cunt Tina Peters got hers today. 

Tina Peters, a former Colorado Republican county clerk who espoused the false conspiracy theory that former President Donald Trump lost the 2020 election due to ballot fraud, was sentenced Thursday to nine years in prison for crimes related to a breach of her county’s voting system.

“You are no hero,” state District Court Judge Matthew Barrett told Peters. “You’re a charlatan who used and is still using your prior position in office to peddle a snake oil that’s been proven to be junk time and time again.”

“Your lies are well documented, and these convictions are serious. I’m convinced you’d do it all over again if you could,” Barrett told the 68-year-old former Mesa County clerk, who was accused of using another person’s security badge to allow someone else to gain access to her county’s election system.

The person who used that badge was affiliated with Mike Lindell, the CEO of My Pillow and a leading proponent of the claim that Trump’s defeat for a second term was due to ballot fraud.

“You’re as defiant a defendant as this court has ever seen,” Barrett told Peters.

Peters, who had requested probation, told the judge before being sentenced, “I’ve never done anything with malice to break the law. I’ve only wanted to serve the people of Mesa County.”

Mesa County District Attorney Daniel Rubenstein told Barrett that, “Ms. Peters has demonstrated repeatedly that she does not think she did anything wrong.”

“She submitted a statement to the court in the pre-sentence investigation report, giving excuses, giving justifications, but never once acknowledging that she did something wrong, that this was not the way to handle this,” Rubenstein said.

“What does every 12-step program start with? It starts with acknowledging you have a problem, and she has not done that, and there’s no purpose in rehabilitation for somebody who does not think they did anything wrong.”

Peters was immediately taken into custody after Barrett rejected her lawyer’s request that she remain free.

Peters was convicted by a trial jury in August of seven criminal counts, including attempt to influence a public servant, conspiracy to commit criminal impersonation, violation of duty, and failure to comply with secretary of state requirements.

Shortly after Peters was sentenced, the Republican presidential nominee Trump told attendees at a campaign rally in Michigan that in the 2020 election, “We won, we won, we did win.”

“It was a rigged election,” Trump said.

“That’s why I’m doing it again. If I thought I lost I wouldn’t be doing this again,” said Trump, who is facing Vice President Kamala Harris, the Democratic nominee, in this year’s presidential race.

Trump is being criminally prosecuted in federal court in Washington, D.C., and in state court in Atlanta, with charges related to his efforts to undo President Joe Biden’s victory over him in the 2020 election.

• Fuck Around and Find Out 8

On 8/15/2024 at 7:16 AM, Pato del Muerto said:

Are her actions in sharing confidential discovery not illegal?

Not typically, no.  It's a civil matter addressed by the judge presiding over the case, as it was here.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Gil Bang said:

HOL-EE fuck.  The Judge spitting fire

5 hours ago, Shaddie said:

A goddamn great moment in American history. 

Hopefully a lot of would-be felons are going to be thinking about this come December/January.

• Hook 'Em 1

So…someone can be penalized for violating their oath to the Constitution?

I guess that’s just one more area where Trump enjoys immunity. Fucking traitor. It’s tough hearing that judge speak and thinking Trump will never hear those words directed at him. They should be. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 1

13 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

I guess that’s just one more area where Trump enjoys immunity. Fucking traitor. It’s tough hearing that judge speak and thinking Trump will never hear those words directed at him. They should be. 

Unless he wins the election a month from tomorrow, Trump will get his eventually. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 10/3/2024 at 8:50 PM, Gil Bang said:

HOL-EE fuck.  The Judge spitting fire

Judge: "Did I forget anything?"

Prosecutor: "Uh, item #6"

Judge: "Oh, yeah.  Add 16 months to that. Did I forget anything?"

Defense: "We asked for a stay. . ."

Judge: "I just denied that."

Ho.Lee.Fuk

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 2

Ho.Lee.Fuk

Theres a scene in Stalag 17 where the traitor gets exposed and the prisoners get revenge. Love it.
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Bullneck said:

Ho.Lee.Fuk

FAFO hat Medium.jpeg

Edited by Xminus6
  • Hook 'Em 2

On 10/4/2024 at 4:40 AM, WhatTheBuck said:

The treason we saw with our own eyes leads to charges of interfering with a government process.

The obvious and video-taped incitement of an attack on the Capitol which lead to death threats, actual deathss, a mob assault on law enforcement officers charged with protecting the building, and the indecorous flight of Congress from chamber for fear of physical from a mob calling out the names of leaders to be executed comprises "interference."

Every person in that mob was acting to overturn a legal and certified election; they were moving against the most profound tradition of a democracy. 

Interference. It's maddening.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 5
  • Rage+1 2

2 hours ago, RomaVicta said:

The treason we saw with our own eyes leads to charges of interfering with a government process.

The obvious and video-taped incitement of an attack on the Capitol which lead to death threats, actual deathss, a mob assault on law enforcement officers charged with protecting the building, and the indecorous flight of Congress from chamber for fear of physical from a mob calling out the names of leaders to be executed comprises "interference."

Every person in that mob was acting to overturn a legal and certified election; they were moving against the most profound tradition of a democracy. 

Interference. It's maddening.

Something this exposes is that she was tried and convicted on state charges.  Why state?  Because in our scheme of things, currently, the states are responsible for election administration and therefore have more robust laws, both civil and criminal, for dealing with "election interference."

So, yeah, she was convicted of a series of election interference crimes, not for violating her oath to the constitution and to the laws, although that is implicit in the laws/crimes themselves.

But once you get to sentencing, the true nature of the crime is taken into account.  You see some of this kind of judicial rhetoric from the 1/6 judges at sentencing those who held any type of office or position of governmental/constitutional import, i.e. military officers, police.  You don't get to "see" it that often because of the prohibition of cameras in the courtroom in about half the jurisdictions and in federal courts.

You'll see more of this rhetoric as more officials are convicted of their election-related crimes.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1