Electric Cars

25 minutes ago, hornbri said:

Lots of them, I have a R1S that I absolutely love. 

I wish the R2 was coming out sooner than 2026. I’ll be in the market for a new SUV next spring, but the R1S is a bit too big for my needs.

2 minutes ago, royiv said:

I wish the R2 was coming out sooner than 2026. I’ll be in the market for a new SUV next spring, but the R1S is a bit too big for my needs.

That's where I'm at too... but I have a friend that works for Rivian so I'm getting a deal on a R1T. And if I get one now, that puts me ahead of the line for the R2. 

8 hours ago, YChang said:

Any Rivian owners here... I'm thiiiiiiiiis close to pulling the trigger on one. 

The car so nice we bought it twice. Both my wife and I drive an R1S. Love them. Only complaint is that they don’t have an option for 2nd row captains chairs. 

Edited by hornian
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, hornian said:

The car so nice we bought it twice. Both my wife and I drive an R1S. Love them. Only complaint is that they don’t have an option for 2nd row captains chairs. 

Nice, I too would love a captain chair option. 

Just renewed the registration on my wife’s Tesla and I see the state of Texas has now added a $200 EV fee to registration.

I guess it’s supposed to make up for lost fuel taxes, which is $0.20/gallon. So that assumes the EV driver would otherwise buy 1,000 gallons of gas in Texas per year. At a modest 25 mpg average, that’s 25k miles per year driving within the state, which seems absurdly high.

In a state with a strong O&G industry and lobbyists, the $200 EV fee certainly seems punitive against EV owners.

• Rage+1 1

32 minutes ago, wild_turkey said:

Just renewed the registration on my wife’s Tesla and I see the state of Texas has now added a $200 EV fee to registration.

I guess it’s supposed to make up for lost fuel taxes, which is $0.20/gallon. So that assumes the EV driver would otherwise buy 1,000 gallons of gas in Texas per year. At a modest 25 mpg average, that’s 25k miles per year driving within the state, which seems absurdly high.

In a state with a strong O&G industry and lobbyists, the $200 EV fee certainly seems punitive against EV owners.

Don't forget the $0.18/gallon the Feds want as well.  All in Texans paying $0.384/gallon. At 25mpg would be 13k miles a year.

Don't forget the $0.18/gallon the Feds want as well.  All in Texans paying $0.384/gallon. At 25mpg would be 13k miles a year.

I’m not sure I follow unless you’re suggesting the State of Texas is giving the Feds a proportional cut of the $200 EV fee. I’m assuming that is not happening, in which case the federal gas tax is irrelevant.
  • Hook 'Em 2

9 hours ago, wild_turkey said:

Punitive is exactly what it is. I think the actual proportional tax is calculated to be about $40 extra. 

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, wild_turkey said:

I’m not sure I follow unless you’re suggesting the State of Texas is giving the Feds a proportional cut of the $200 EV fee. I’m assuming that is not happening, in which case the federal gas tax is irrelevant.

Ah, yeah I just took the current tax on gas, but you are correct it seems that Texas is just pocketing that extra amount, so yeah definitely punitive / more expensive for EV owners.

• Hook 'Em 1