Official Thread for Abortion Demagoguery

bad_teammate

Posted (edited)
55 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

The conservative movement is about enslaving women.  Always has been.

Damn right.

Let me add.

1. Anyone who voted for Reagan (GOP union with Falwell, Evangelicals, explicit calls for ending abortion), Bush 1 (Thomas), Bush 2 (Roberts, Alito) has enabled the rise and legalization of this violent Christian theocracy. Been building for decades, long before Trump showed up.

2. The violence toward women has only begun. It is another layer of the “ultraviolence” (from A Clockwork Orange) in their gun policies, anti-vaxx stance, Jan 6 insurrection, and so on. Random violence and random death is the goal. The more random, unjust, illogical, and insane the coercion and violence, the easier for MAGA-GQP to terrify women and install the theocracy.  

All the Surly conservatives who loved Reagan and the Bushes. You helped enable this terror against women. Just f*cking own it. 

Edited by BevoAbyss
  • Hook 'Em 3

2 hours ago, Art Vandelay said:

From the article

Yet, as is the case with Mayor Stanley, not everyone in the anti-abortion camp supports the measure.

"Nobody likes to see people have abortions," says James, a retiree wearing a white Trump hat. But when you're actually putting in an ordinance that is not enforceable and it makes people turn against each other... that's a big no."

It’s also a good way to drive people to the polls, who otherwise might not vote.  And it advertises to the world that your city is full of fascist assholes who want to control the travel of American citizens, which is a great selling point for tourism.

31 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

your city is full of fascist assholes who want to control the travel of American citizens, which is a great selling point for tourism.

… your city is full of fascist and misogynous Christians who want to control the travel for American women, which is a great selling point for theocracy  — which 45% of America wants and is building. 

Hell, seeing young women stopped, harassed, and arrested by police might be a boon for low budget Christian tourism to shit cities like Amarillo.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 1

What if you're just driving to Sante Fe with your wife who happens to be pregnant, to visit friends?  
What if you're from New Mexico but get pregnant in Texas? Can you take the fetus back to New Mexico for an abortion?images (5).jpg
  • Like 5
  • Haha 1

I following some of the Instagram accounts for McCallum HS (my kid's school).  One account posts all the kids attending college and their intended major.  Easily 50% of the girls posted are headed out of state.  Holy shit, if that's the general trend statewide.  Good luck with those demographics, you future Texan incels.

• Hook 'Em 1

9 hours ago, troph said:

Why do baptists hate blow jobs? I really don’t understand.

That simply sounds like the kind of joke that would have us rolling in the 7th grade.  I forget the punchline 

12 minutes ago, nbmishoid said:

That simply sounds like the kind of joke that would have us rolling in the 7th grade.  I forget the punchline 

The joke was “how do you circumcise a southern Baptist?” The punchline is “kick his sister in the jaw.”

• Hook 'Em 3

33 minutes ago, nbmishoid said:

oh I'm sorry, sodomy for thee, but not for me? I really don't find any of this shit funny. not even remotely.

vox (i'll admit left leaning) ran an article that GOP wants to make divorce harder and while Vox is not sympathetic to the GOP there were quotes and referenced bills in several states and in the Congress. the-fucking-ocracy is right. holy shit balls.

• Fuck Around and Find Out 1

I don' understand why Republicans are so concerned about the rare abortion of viable late term fetuses yet they have no concern about the rare murders of innocent civilians with AR-15 rifles and the like.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Probably the same reason they are so adamantly concerned not with climate change, but that a transition to a handful of outboard motors being replaced with batteries only to see the boaters eaten by sharks.  You know, that thing that happens all the time and is way more dangerous than drowning.  

8 minutes ago, troph said:

oh I'm sorry, sodomy for thee, but not for me? I really don't find any of this shit funny. not even remotely.

Pure unadulterated sixthgraderism must be give some space.  We had no idea of any specifics of a gay world.  And, there’s still a lot of Eagle Scouts around.

• Hook 'Em 1

12 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

I don' understand why Republicans are so concerned about the rare abortion of viable late term fetuses yet they have no concern about the rare murders of innocent civilians with AR-15 rifles and the like.

They don't believe in reason

Ask a pro-lifer if they want to raise taxes to be sure every child has enough food.

It’s pro-birth, not pro-life.
  • Hook 'Em 2

• 2 weeks later...

They don’t care. That baby had a heart beat and could be baptized into their gods heaven or whatever their cult bullshit states. Dead babies meant they lived and were saved from abortion. They do not give a shit about the pain to the parents or anyone else involved.

26 minutes ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

So is that enough that we won't see the CyberNinjas being brought in to contest the count on this one? 

47 minutes ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

Wait until SCOTUS rules that signatures are no longer considered a legal endorsement due to new interpretations of historical documents.

• Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...

Texas just hands money to anti-abortion groups with little oversight:

In some cases, taxpayers are paying these groups to distribute goods they obtained for free, allowing anti-abortion centers — which are often called “crisis pregnancy centers” and may be set up to look like clinics that perform abortions — to bill $14 to hand out a couple of donated diapers.

Distributing a single pamphlet can net the same $14 fee. The state has paid the charities millions to distribute such “educational materials” about topics including parenting and adoption; it can’t say exactly how many millions because it doesn’t collect data on the goods it’s paying for. State officials declined to provide examples of the materials by publication time, and reporters who visited pregnancy centers were turned away.

https://www.texastribune.org/2024/07/09/texas-crisis-pregnancy-centers-abortion/

• Rage+1 3

• 3 weeks later...

https://apnews.com/article/abortion-survey-pills-roe-election-2024-7179dda48eae0a764be89c2e0aafd80a

US abortion numbers have risen slightly since Roe was overturned, study finds.

The number of women getting abortions in the U.S. actually went up in the first three months of 2024 compared with before the Supreme Court overturned Roe v Wade, a report released Wednesday found, reflecting the lengths that Democratic-controlled states went to expand access.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Cairn Horn88 said:

How does Texas go about getting abortion rights on the ballot, like other states?

The language gets muddied because we frequently refer to numbered ballot propositions leading up to elections.  But it’s really just a short-handed system to track proposed creation, modification, or elimination of certain constitutional elements.  And even then, it the Leg would have to vote to codify most of them. And after that, our state SC can really go to work on them if they don’t like what we had to say.  

To your question, we do not have a direct ‘proposition’ mechanism like most other civilized states.  Unless, it’s a constitutional question, we can’t gather signatures to put on the ballot: “Prop 3 to overturn Abbott restrictions on abortion” or “Prop 7 to allow for legalized gambling and marijuana consumption” nor “Prop 12 to require any AG to disclose any conflict of interest including real estate deals.”

It would have been wild to see what would have happened if vouchers were put straight to the rural/exurban Texas who knew the score, coming together with urban voters.  But like most voters things here, we gotta do it the fucking hard, corrupt way. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1