Joe Biden 2021

tantric superman

36 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

Tim Scott’s response is like one of those Republican responses from 1997 or Democratic responses from 2003

So you're saying the Democrats are going to find a way to take a L in the next presidential election when they absolutely should not.

• Rage+1 1

36 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

yeah, well, i grew up in a reagan household. took me awhile to smell the bullshit. longer than it should have, honestly, in hindsight. but stock buybacks, salary freezes, and layoffs have a way of really bringing home the message.

when it comes to taxes i agree.  there's gotta be equity in paying for your fair share.  but we have to be careful.   there's no denying how amazon, google, microsoft, apple, etc have transformed the private lives of everyone in the first world and ushered in the past decade of american prosperity.  if motivation creeps towards sticking it to the man that spite could kill the golden goose.

• Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

These are worthless. Most Republicans aren't watching to begin with.

i was at dinner so didn't watch.  some old asshole sitting at the bar was loudly explaining to the guy sitting next to him that he was glad they kept the astros on, but he was sure biden had massive teleprompters and couldn't answer what city he was in without a prompt. 

2 hours ago, hayden_horn said:

she's her own worst enemy, as are most weird gun people. read the fucking room, people.

I think it's completely by design.  Weird gun nuts deliberately start or say shit to make themselves martyrs, so they can play the victim card and/or campaign off of it.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

I can't help but feel more hopeful after that speech. I know he's not gonna fix everything, but his properties are straight and he's not kowtowing to our enemies. He said a lot of things previous presidents didn't have the courage to say. I like salty old Joe a lot more after tonight

Trump was submissive to people like Putin, Lil Kim in North Korea, etc.

It really is weird having a President who isn't submissive to those folks.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Trump was submissive to people like Putin, Lil Kim in North Korea, etc.

It really is weird having a President who isn't submissive to those folks.

old white dude at the bar was sure that russia didn't invade ukraine and china didn't invade taiwan while trump was president because trump would have nuked them. 

And for any of my other super lib allies, come at me with your criticisms. If that's not the most liberal, but also the mostly broadly supported, agenda you've seen in your life, please speak up. I don't think he got all the way to where i stand, but fuck if he didn't come close. He still seems to be resistant to M4A, which is a huge issue, but my liberal ass thought he laid out a really competent, sensible plan - down to outlining how to pay for it and who it will benefit. Fuck,  even Bernie seemed jazzed. 

I don't think Uncle Joe will be the best president ever, but after the dumpster fire that was the last 4 years, he gave me a shitload of reasons to be optimistic. That's of course of congress can get it done. But that's a different thread. 

Infrastructure doesn't win votes, hence it has been ignored for so long. Glad to see Biden is willing to see it improved.

Glad to see him continue to pound the "one America" message. It's certainly a hard sell given the Republican rhetoric of obstruction and hate but he has to keep at it.

I'm not sold on the American family side of his equation (only because there doesn't seem to be any mention of public school reform) and certainly he seems to have no plan for the border (made most difficult by the Republicans obvious attempt to obstruct and make it worse).

Edited by pacman

5 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I've seen multiple FB posts howling about Joe Biden calling all white people "racists".  I didn't see the whole address -- what exactly did he say that is being mangled for maximum effect?

He brought up white supremacy.  That triggers the FB crowd. 

25 minutes ago, pacman said:

Infrastructure doesn't win votes, hence it has been ignored for so long. Glad to see Biden is willing to see it improved.

Glad to see him continue to pound the "one America" message. It's certainly a hard sell given the Republican rhetoric of obstruction and hate but he has to keep at it.

I'm not sold on the American family side of his equation (only because there doesn't seem to be any mention of public school reform) and certainly he seems to have no plan for the border (made most difficult by the Republicans obvious attempt to obstruct and make it worse).

The "One America" message is a losing message. It's a square peg in a round hole. But, it's admirable I guess.

Just now, SydneyCarton said:

Yeah, One America is definitely an inferior message to Two Americas. Because the civil war was a delightful period in our history. Lets try to do that one again. 

gloves.gif

Seems like a great policy unless, you know, we actually want to have One America. 

I appreciate your idealism, if not optimism. I guess I'm just full-on Brisket these days and retreating into a cold, dark, realistic view (from what I can personally see/interpret, at least).

At some point the question is going to be do we keep playing pretty music while the ship sinks (OneAmerica), because optimism and positive cheer will manifest a difference, or do we get to actually do something to heal, even if that means cutting out the cancer and suffering for it.

8 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Btw - 6.4% Q1 economic growth.

I was told Joe Biden was going to crash the economy and stock market if he was elected. 

Look, he's gonna get to it ok? He also has to destroy the suburbs, kill god, and cancel Christmas so he's got a lot on his plate. 

Edited by Red Five
forgot one
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, DonkeyCigars said:

I appreciate your idealism, if not optimism. I guess I'm just full-on Brisket these days and retreating into a cold, dark, realistic view (from what I can personally see/interpret, at least).

At some point the question is going to be do we keep playing pretty music while the ship sinks (OneAmerica), because optimism and positive cheer will manifest a difference, or do we get to actually do something to heal, even if that means cutting out the cancer and suffering for it.

What do you suggest to cut out the cancer and heal? By all means, please lay out your thoughts. And I don't mean that in a shitty way, many folks here have listed a laundry list of suggestions over the last year. I'm on team media reform, personally, as the best shot. Because I think people are being poisoned by bad actors with bad intentions. But please, what do you suggest we "cut out" and how do we heal?

I'm not optimistic. But here's the thing. Cutting out and healing isn't the same thing as burning everything the fuck down and starting from scratch. One America, to me, isn't likely to succeed in the current climate. But what I do know is that anything other than TRYING to pump that message works against the idea of cutting out and healing anything, and almost certainly leads us to the "burn it all down" outcome. 

Just now, mchookem said:

hoo-boy...my extended african-american inlaw family spread around the country are NOT Tim Scott fans 😳 ... some very, ah, salty language on fb this morning in response to his response. i'll just sit this one out lol.

Too bad they probably don't live in South Carolina. 

12 minutes ago, DonkeyCigars said:

I get that you have to say that we need to be united, etc., etc., but if I were in politics I wouldn't press it that hard, because it just feels disingenuous knowing where we are as a country. I would be making the case why my ideas are right and theirs are wrong. Biden did some of that last night and I really appreciated it because you rarely see it. I would go further though and explain the economic benefits of universal healthcare (healthy and secure workers are more productive), affordable child care (workers can't work if they can't afford childcare), education (Biden did this one right pointing out why we enacted free universal K-12 in the first place), livable minimum wage (keeps workers off of tax payer funded welfare programs that effectively subsidize walmart poverty wages), immigration (they work hard pay taxes and contribute to our gdp), etc. But what do I know, I'm just some schmuck in a red state surrounded by trumpers.

• Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

What do you suggest to cut out the cancer and heal? By all means, please lay out your thoughts. And I don't mean that in a shitty way, many folks here have listed a laundry list of suggestions over the last year. I'm on team media reform, personally, as the best shot. Because I think people are being poisoned by bad actors with bad intentions. But please, what do you suggest we "cut out" and how do we heal?

I'm not optimistic. But here's the thing. Cutting out and healing isn't the same thing as burning everything the fuck down and starting from scratch. One America, to me, isn't likely to succeed in the current climate. But what I do know is that anything other than TRYING to pump that message works against the idea of cutting out and healing anything, and almost certainly leads us to the "burn it all down" outcome. 

I've had an idea of shrinking the federal government and greatly reduce federal taxes to allow states and counties to raise more money and provide the programs if they want or not if they don't want. I'm pretty sure that would mean I'd move out of Oklahoma, but I'm just not seeing any way the federal government can continue on its current course, especially with the disparity in the senate and electoral college growing. You can't have the minority making policies that affect all of us because of an archaic system that we set up when we only had 13 states and didn't have enormous power in the senate held by states with only a few people in them most of whom don't have any care or understanding of the world or any empathy for "others." I'm honestly not sure our democracy can handle another republican taking the white house while losing the popular vote.

Edited by 'stache

1 minute ago, 'stache said:

I've had an idea of shrinking the federal government and greatly reduce federal taxes to allow states and counties to raise more money and provide the programs if they want or not if they don't want. I'm pretty sure that would mean I'd move out of Oklahoma, but I'm just not seeing any way the federal government can continue on its current course, especially with the disparity in the senate and electoral college growing. You can't have the minority making policies that affect all of us because of an archaic system that we set up when we only had 13 states and didn't have enormous power in the senate held by states with only a few people in them most of whom don't have any care or understanding of the world or any empathy for "others."

I think this is a fun intellectual exercise, and would certainly create movement in the beginning. But I'm sure there are very negative resulting outcomes and consequences. Starting with companies relocating, and then people relocating, and then what happens when people can't afford to relocate to places with good benefits and polices. The people who need it most would be the poor who don't have the money to move, etc. 

I feel like this would create a similar dynamic to people who can't afford to move to areas with good schools for X, Y, and Z reasons are therefore just trapped and fucked wherever they are currently. It's like abortions in Texas or LA. Oh, you're not rich and can't afford to travel to get what you want? Guess you're fucked!

21 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Media reform is the closest thing to a silver bullet we have, extending to digital assets and online social media. I've long said the root cause of our problems is in the magically fast advancement of technology and latency and portability/connectivity to give everyone, everywhere a bullhorn and to degrade Journalism from a centralized craft and a calling to a federated model of wanton opinions and beliefs and cult-crafting (on both sides, just depending on your values and views). However, the genie is out of the bottle, the toothpaste out of the tube, pandora out of her box, etc. et al. You can only manage the radiation poisoning now and limit the spill, the explosion has already happened.

I think the biggest problem we as a country have when it comes to the particular problem of our national conscious and shared fabric and buy-in is one as old as time, we haven't properly reframed or reset expectations. What I mean is, let me use this following analogy:

• As a country we thought we were a super model, beautiful/handsome, wholesome and polite. We more or less bought into this view.
  • We tanned a lot to keep this exceptional American beauty and started getting some weird moles, but we mostly ignored them because we are busy and beautiful
  • Those moles started getting more irregular and darker and unsightly but bathing suit season was only 3 months a year, we reasoned
  • Then one day we realized, against all odds! (re: 2016 election), 35-40% of our body was infested with cancer. Our largest organ, our skin, is necrotizing and is spreading and risking our overall health!

This is where we are today. We need to reset expectations and stop thinking that there is a path back to a beautiful, fit, tan America. There will never be a "One America" with the resources we have now, it's as backwards looking and irrational as the "Make America Great Again" concept that came before it. The best we can hope for is to face the reality of the situation, to cut off the bad skin and graft it with tissue and skin from the bottoms of our feet and chodes and underarms and come out of it with a lot of scars and deformities and ugliness, but at least we can continue living for another day. The alternative is to die a slow death, which is the path we are currently on. 

Edited by DonkeyCigars

3 minutes ago, DonkeyCigars said:

Media reform is the closest thing to a silver bullet we have, extending to digital assets and online social media. I've long said the root cause of our problems is in the magically fast advancement of technology and latency and portability/connectivity to give everyone, everywhere a bullhorn and to degrade Journalism from a centralized craft and a calling to a federated model of wanton opinions and beliefs and cult-crafting (on both sides, just depending on your values and views). However, the genie is out of the bottle, the toothpaste out of the tube, pandora out of her box, etc. et al. You can only manage the radiation poisoning now and limit the spill, the explosion has already happened.

I think the biggest problem we as a country have when it comes to the particular problem of our national conscious and shared fabric and buy-in is one as old as time, we haven't properly reframed or reset expectations. What I mean is, let me use this following analogy:

• As a country we thought we were a super model, beautiful/handsome, wholesome and polite. We more or less bought into this view.
  • We tanned a lot to keep this exceptional American beauty and started getting some weird moles, but we mostly ignored them because we are busy and beautiful
  • Those moles started getting more irregular and darker and unsightly but bathing suit season was only 3 months a year, we reasoned
  • Then one day we realized, against all odds!, 35-40% of our body was infested with cancer. Our largest organ, our skin, is necrotizing and is spreading and risking our overall health!

This is where we are today. We need to reset expectations and stop thinking that there is a path back to a beautiful, fit, tan America. There will never be a "One America" with the resources we have now, it's as backwards looking and irrational as the "Make America Great Again" concept that came before it. The best we can hope for is to face the reality of the situation, to cut off the bad skin and graft it with tissue and skin from the bottoms of our feet and chodes and underarms and come out of it with a lot of scars and deformities and ugliness, but at least we can continue living for another day. The alternative is to die a slow death, which is the path we are currently on. 

That's a lot of words to literally offer zero suggestions and say...what exactly? We should realize we're different and continue to not get along at all? Not even bother to face the reality that we are a shared country with shared problems even if we're different? You just took about 600 words to make a superfluous illustration to how America is in a bad spot (we know) and offer ZERO ideas or remedies. Where's the part that discussed how we practically live another day? Which is what I requested. 

11 hours ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

If that's not the most liberal, but also the mostly broadly supported, agenda you've seen in your life, please speak up.

FDR's New Deal, but your point is well made.

Biden shifted the landscape. Austerity for humans has been part of the United States economic strategy since the 80's. That has resulted in decades of neglect and decay. Biden recognized this root problem in our economy.