COVID-19 vaccine discussion

Texas Jeff

2 hours ago, HRSchenker said:

4500 pharmacies have shut down since 10 years ago. In the state of Washington they've seen nearly 10% of their pharmacies shut down since last year. It has more to do with insurances reimbursement and pharmacist opt out than a surplus of stores. 

Not as many bogus opiod prescriptions to to fill as there were 10 years ago. 

Forgot about the Aetna thing.  Pharmacies are still one of those things that people like to do in person (right after their doctor visit or what have you).  Plus, just biologically speaking, the demographics needing the most drugs are little kids.  And when your child is in pain/sick, you can't wait even 24 hours for Prime delivery, you need it in 60 minutes.  And the other is folks 60+, and they are still distrustful/uneducated of getting pills by delivery.  But the footprint of those stores is just insane these days.  You pick up all that other ancillary shit at your grocery store or via home delivery.  The Walgreen's I use for our family Rx pickups, half the aisles look like they've been looted by angry ex K-Mart employees.  And given its parcel of land value, they are bleeding cash.  

We did some due diligence on an interesting concept alongside a well-known former grocer's new concept.  Those modular shipping containers you see that get dropped and turned into shit nowadays? So this would sit near a proper B&M pharmacy because you can't have those kindsa drugs just sitting out in a parking lot for liability purposes.  But the container rents a few parking spots for pennies on the dollar, the pharmacy downsizes.  Management company siphons off most of the square footage, TI's it, and leases it to something else like restaurant, barber shop, coffee shop, some in-person experience.  Anyway, the container sells all the OTC you'd buy at a pharmacy like deodorant, cough syrup, tampons, etc.  Real estate savings are passed along to consumer or given to the delivery service that picks the shit up for you.  Because even if you're not getting an Rx refill, once a week every single one of us drives all the way to CVS to grab eye drops or toothpaste or diapers.  And we didn't want to "deal with the hassle of HEB for 2 things."  Well, we just wasted as much time and gas either way, and paid a sizeable markup for the privilege.  Just have it door-dashed to you and the discount they give on the items due to lower G&A, just let the driver keep it in lieu of tip.  There are food deserts, but there are Rx deserts in a way.  Some families can't haul the kids 45 minutes round-trip on a bus or train to pickup vitamins and soap.  It's not time-effective.  And they can't afford the surcharge of a delivery service, so drop these in underserved communities so at least they can get the essentials in an easier fashion.  /csb 

Other than getting some good advice from a caring pharmacist, when was the last time you had a remotely pleasant experience at a Rite-Aid?  

Edited by YGIFS

• 1 month later...

Thought Covid was good and dead but my coworker got it. 

What gives? 

i know this is the vaccine thread but seems to be the only active covid thread. 

this new round of variants, any good ideas on fighting it or preventing it? Same symptoms as previous covid? Seems to be so much less information now. 

I've been hearing about a big uptick in cases, and symptoms in the latest variant include more diarrhea and nausea and less coughing and fever.  I say this because recently I had something that went through my system fairly quickly, and it started with being on the toilet for about two hours one morning, followed by nausea and low energy, but no fever or dry cough, and it was mostly gone by the second day.  It seemed like food poisoning or a stomach bug like I've had before in my life, but when I mentioned this to a friend, and he said he recently got COVID and the main symptom was the shits. 

Recently the wife and I both got something I would swear was Covid. Hit us both hard for a week and then still symptoms for about 2 weeks after. My second time with Covid and her first. Both vaccinated. 

Hell, I don't know what to think about Covid vaccinations anymore. 

5 minutes ago, South Austin said:

I've been hearing about a big uptick in cases, and symptoms in the latest variant include more diarrhea and nausea and less coughing and fever.  I say this because recently I had something that went through my system fairly quickly, and it started with being on the toilet for about two hours one morning, followed by nausea and low energy, but no fever or dry cough, and it was mostly gone by the second day.  It seemed like food poisoning or a stomach bug like I've had before in my life, but when I mentioned this to a friend, and he said he recently got COVID and the main symptom was the shits. 

My symptoms mostly felt like allergies plus a low fever for ~24 hours (100.5-101). It was the 2-3 days of a super light but persistent cough that got me to take a test out of curiosity (and because I had some at home).

There were no shits, diarrhea, or other GI symptoms involved. Overall my symptoms lasted 5 days.

Went through my family last month, me first. My second bout, their first. Heard it was more mild so wasn’t expecting too much and the first 2 days were exactly that. Day 3 was much worse with sore ribs from coughing and lethargy plus foggy head, so I tapped out quickly and did a virtual appt and asked for paxlovid. Felt better the next morning just like the first time.  Wife said it was like a bad cold for 2 days- but her lack of energy persisted for over a week after other symptoms had gone. 
kids- teens, and you wouldn’t really know they had anything.  Only tested because it was in the house and they would start a mild cough. 

50 minutes ago, nineliveslost said:

Recently the wife and I both got something I would swear was Covid. Hit us both hard for a week and then still symptoms for about 2 weeks after. My second time with Covid and her first. Both vaccinated. 

Hell, I don't know what to think about Covid vaccinations anymore. 

I imagine, like the flu vaccinations, its not 100% effective. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I'm back to the world of the living after a two week stint. My 3rd time to have it and this was far and away the worst. Week 1 was an absolute shitshow - fever, body aches, massive headache that Advil couldn't even begin to touch. Week 2 was chest congestion, lethargy, residual achiness and just weakness from being couch-bound the previous 7 days... boy that fucking sucked.

48 years old, boosted, healthy, eat right and daily exercise. PM for pics.

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, smuggs said:

I'm back to the world of the living after a two week stint. My 3rd time to have it and this was far and away the worst. Week 1 was an absolute shitshow - fever, body aches, massive headache that Advil couldn't even begin to touch. Week 2 was chest congestion, lethargy, residual achiness and just weakness from being couch-bound the previous 7 days... boy that fucking sucked.

48 years old, boosted, healthy, eat right and daily exercise. PM for pics.

you ever think just maybe that shit didn't work?  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Fuck You 11

PSA: fuck covid in the horse's ass.

actual PSA: doctors these days have shit for covid. I'm too late for paxlovid (see my first experience to know why I didn't ask for it) but in the middle/tail end I'm still getting the good stuff. it's not like the first go round when they didn't have anything to give, you're suffering, go see a doctor.

second go round, mild as mild can be... sorta... vitals all fine, except a nagging sense I need a deep breath, which I can get with focus and attention. However, when I try to sleep, I don't focus on breathing, no one does and so dozing off I have some wild lucid dream for 5 seconds as I'm about to fall asleep and BAM wake up gasping! cortisol dump, adrenaline dump. Repeat over 20 minutes and then I'm so jacked up I can't even start to sleep again. So I turn on a movie. Symptoms last Thursday, confirmed Saturday night in the mountain ER (vitals 100% fine), sent home with an air concentrator for altitude and a postive covid result. Since then, I've had the following hours of sleep per night: 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, and 3. 23 hours of sleep in 6 nights, I should have 54 hours.  I basically only fall asleep when my tiredness knocks me out within 2-3 minutes. I think I got 3 hours last night because I got 6 the night before so I wasn't that tired.

funny thing is, during the day I'm not fatigued, no brain fog, I can't spell though, I basically have bad allergies with a cough, but i'm depressed as hell and I dread the night now and have tremendous anxiety. everyone starts the blissful wind down around 9:30pm and I think "oh shit, I've got at least 4-5 hours before I'll fall asleep." talk about a mindfuck.

soooo.... went to the doctor again. vitals 100% fine again. described my condition, more psychological caused by physiological than anything and the doctor is giving me codeine cough suppressant and an albuterol inhaler to tamp down the airway inflammation. fingers crossed.

48 years old, OG vaxed/boosted, no additional boosters, second bout of covid, first was omicron 1 day down a week of an annoying cough, easy breezy.

this version? all intents and purposes I have a mild case, but fuck a horse's ass man.

Edited by troph

Codeine combined with a nagging sense of needing a deep breath might not be the best combination. I took codeine at altitude in Colorado once. ONCE. Felt like I was suffocating every time I started to doze off.  

• Hook 'Em 1

53 minutes ago, Deej said:

Codeine combined with a nagging sense of needing a deep breath might not be the best combination. I took codeine at altitude in Colorado once. ONCE. Felt like I was suffocating every time I started to doze off.  

I talked to the doctor about it i'm first starting with the inhaler just used it, deep breath activated. HOLY SHIT. half dose, albuterol and budesonide. <-- PSA right there.

33 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

That sounds like not a whole lot of fun.  Can you get some Xanax for the anxiety, or is it contraindicated?

and I have claustrophobia too that is triggered like a mother fucker. I'm going to first focus on the actual causation and see if treatment works.

Edited by troph

56 minutes ago, Deej said:

and thanks for the heads up.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, troph said:

and thanks for the heads up.

Opiods suppress the respiratory system. Just be careful. 

As the level of carbon dioxide in the blood rises, chemical receptors in the body signal the lungs to increase ventilation. Opioids decrease this ventilatory response to carbon dioxide, which can result in severe respiratory depression and death.

Edited by Deej
  • Hook 'Em 1

14 minutes ago, troph said:

I talked to the doctor about it i'm first starting with the inhaler just used it, deep breath activated. HOLY SHIT. half dose, albuterol and budesonide. <-- PSA right there.

I'm an asthmatic, much more controlled over the past 3 decades since the advent of good long term treatments, but albuterol is the shit for an attack.  Immediate response.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Deej said:

Nothing is all that great for cough but dextromethorphan, with responsible use, in liquid form is likely just as good for cough but without that pesky significant addiction potential and central respiratory depression. 

This strain of Covid, FLiRT, is pretty contagious but like the other Omicron strains, still does not appear to have a good affinity for deep lung mucosa. But it does like the gut so congratulations to those who feel like they have the flu and are also crapping their pants. I probably missed a few Covid cases earlier in June because some people with Covid were presenting only with GI symptoms and we were coming off a wave of Norovirus. 

With the vast majority of people doing well with this strain (although feeling like crap) I'm thinking the old way of finding every damn case of Covid likely needs to go to the wayside. We are spending a crap ton of resources finding and treating cases that don't need to be treated or seen officially in a clinic. This will be controversial, but Paxlovid for those with low risk factors and some type of previous immunity is a $500 way to feel better a couple of days faster than you would otherwise. If you are not at high risk, it's not keeping you out of the hospital. You're going to get better anyway. Some absolutely need the medication, but the data shows those with prior immunity and even moderate risk factors do not significantly benefit from Paxlovid. 

• Hook 'Em 4

5 minutes ago, Deej said:

Opiods suppress the respiratory system. Just be careful. 

thanks! she gave it to suppress the cough and guarantee sleep but I'll watch it carefully and try not to use. if I can actually breath deep without effort I suspect the inhaler is all I'll need.

7 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I'm an asthmatic, much more controlled over the past 3 decades since the advent of good long term treatments, but albuterol is the shit for an attack.  Immediate response.

yeah holy shit this is a miracle.

2 minutes ago, Newdoc said:

This strain of Covid, FLiRT, is pretty contagious but like the other Omicron strains, still does not appear to have a good affinity for deep lung mucosa. But it does like the gut so congratulations to those who feel like they have the flu and are also crapping their pants. I probably missed a few Covid cases earlier in June because some people with Covid were presenting only with GI symptoms and we were coming off a wave of Norovirus. 

With the vast majority of people doing well with this strain (although feeling like crap) I'm thinking the old way of finding every damn case of Covid likely needs to go to the wayside. We are spending a crap ton of resources finding and treating cases that don't need to be treated or seen officially in a clinic. This will be controversial, but Paxlovid for those with low risk factors and some type of previous immunity is a $500 way to feel better a couple of days faster than you would otherwise. If you are not at high risk, it's not keeping you out of the hospital. You're going to get better anyway. Some absolutely need the medication, but the data shows those with prior immunity and even moderate risk factors do not significantly benefit from Paxlovid. 

I agree as a patient 100% on the this, my only caveat is I was in tears this morning one step away from suicidal thoughts. I had strange thinking from a lack of sleep, I'll just drive home (14 hours) and pay someone to bring my stuff home and I would rather be dead if I have to go one more night without sleep.

btw my cough is no big deal. shit all of my symptoms except inability to sleep are no big deal. I can forego paxlovid at my age if my symptoms are managed with this inhaler.

3 minutes ago, Deej said:

If you have to take it, just make sure someone is there with you.

she said that, my wife is here. I don't think I need it. I may go pick up some OTC cough meds but truthfully the cough is nothing, the only reason I would take it is to help assure sleep tonight.

7 minutes ago, Deej said:

If you have to take it, just make sure someone is there with you.

And....ummmmm.....that label warning of "do not consume with alcohol" is for real, so don't do that.

Signed, a dude who was taking codeine cough syrup for the first time back in the early 90s....and took a big shot right before our home football game against aggy (it knocked my cough right out)....and then drank a few beers at our tailgate.  My buddy who attended the game with me, who has seen me intoxicated more than once, said it was the drunkest, most obnoxious I ever was, and he had to keep me out of multiple fights with aggy fans.  I apologized, told him I didn't understand what happened, he saw me, I only had a few beers...and then I remembered the heavy-duty narcotic I mixed them with.

Oopsie.  Apologies, all you aggy fans who I surely told to go fuck their sister/goat/mother/another goat.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

And....ummmmm.....that label warning of "do not consume with alcohol" is for real, so don't do that.

Signed, a dude who was taking codeine cough syrup for the first time back in the early 90s....and took a big shot right before our home football game against aggy (it knocked my cough right out)....and then drank a few beers at our tailgate.  My buddy who attended the game with me, who has seen me intoxicated more than once, said it was the drunkest, most obnoxious I ever was, and he had to keep me out of multiple fights with aggy fans.  I apologized, told him I didn't understand what happened, he saw me, I only had a few beers...and then I remembered the heavy-duty narcotic I mixed them with.

Oopsie.  Apologies, all you aggy fans who I surely told to go fuck their sister/goat/mother/another goat.

Never apologize to aggy

• Hook 'Em 2

7 minutes ago, Newdoc said:

Last year, I took molnupiravir prophylactically and it either worked or I didn't catch COVID. I haven't looked at the data and I know that the AMA says that it isn't for pre-exposure. I'm not sure of their reasoning, however.

I don't drink when I'm sick.

I eat like rabbit and a shaman or some shit.  for a three day stretch it was salads (with all the veggies), nuts, seeds, apples, bananas, blueberries, strawberries, oranges, tumeric, ginger, garlic shots, elderberry shots, micro greens of many varieties, yougurt, chicken tortilla soup without cheese or chips, sweet potatoes, fresh squeezed kale/lettuce/cucumber/celery juice and shit and a ton of water. basically instead of a supplement crazy I read up on what's good for your immune system and I go to town on the diet.

my wife accused me of being my mom.

Edited by troph
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, troph said:

PSA: fuck covid in the horse's ass.

actual PSA: doctors these days have shit for covid. I'm too late for paxlovid (see my first experience to know why I didn't ask for it) but in the middle/tail end I'm still getting the good stuff. it's not like the first go round when they didn't have anything to give, you're suffering, go see a doctor.

second go round, mild as mild can be... sorta... vitals all fine, except a nagging sense I need a deep breath, which I can get with focus and attention. However, when I try to sleep, I don't focus on breathing, no one does and so dozing off I have some wild lucid dream for 5 seconds as I'm about to fall asleep and BAM wake up gasping! cortisol dump, adrenaline dump. Repeat over 20 minutes and then I'm so jacked up I can't even start to sleep again. So I turn on a movie. Symptoms last Thursday, confirmed Saturday night in the mountain ER (vitals 100% fine), sent home with an air concentrator for altitude and a postive covid result. Since then, I've had the following hours of sleep per night: 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, and 3. 23 hours of sleep in 6 nights, I should have 54 hours.  I basically only fall asleep when my tiredness knocks me out within 2-3 minutes. I think I got 3 hours last night because I got 6 the night before so I wasn't that tired.

funny thing is, during the day I'm not fatigued, no brain fog, I can't spell though, I basically have bad allergies with a cough, but i'm depressed as hell and I dread the night now and have tremendous anxiety. everyone starts the blissful wind down around 9:30pm and I think "oh shit, I've got at least 4-5 hours before I'll fall asleep." talk about a mindfuck.

soooo.... went to the doctor again. vitals 100% fine again. described my condition, more psychological caused by physiological than anything and the doctor is giving me codeine cough suppressant and an albuterol inhaler to tamp down the airway inflammation. fingers crossed.

48 years old, OG vaxed/boosted, no additional boosters, second bout of covid, first was omicron 1 day down a week of an annoying cough, easy breezy.

this version? all intents and purposes I have a mild case, but fuck a horse's ass man.

I got in a similar predicament a few years ago.  Mountain vacation, but my illness was RSV.  I only made it 4 days before we cut vacation short to get the altitude variable out of the equation.  I normally get good sleep, so I was mentally exhausted and had a lot of the pre-sleep anxiety you described.  It really sucked.  Hope you start doing better.

Edited by Incredulity
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Incredulity said:

I got in a similar predicament a few years ago.  Mountain vacation, but my illness was RSV.  I only made it 4 days before we cut vacation short to get the altitude variable out of the equation.  I normally get good sleep, so I was mentally exhausted and had a lot of the pre-sleep anxiety you described.  It really sucked.  Hope you start doing better.

Thank you.

I had RSV this spring at home it was super weird. 3 weeks, fatigue, low fever, congestion, not much else.  Longest I’ve ever been sick 3 freaking weeks.

Today I’ve had a stress melting evening - wife and I had dinner with my boys we laughed so hard listening to them tell us about the teenager slang like “riz”, walked the dog, looked at the mountains I forgot over the 6 days of hell, enjoyed an easy deep breath. Gonna hit the inhaler one more time and go to bed and see what happens. No codeine. Decided to sleep on the couch again where it’s easier to sleep sitting up and not lying down. Fingers crossed.

and shit, the first two days we had actually driven to telluride and went to 9000 or so feet, staying in a 3 story condo where the bedrooms were actually just really small rooms directly off the stairs. I can’t sleep and then I realize I’m not breathing and I had a damn well near panic attack. Trapped out of my lungs, trapped out of my sleep, trapped in a small as you could imagine room that really felt like a cell, in telluride which is BFE for real, there is hardly a more remote spot, wow I wanted to crawl out of my own skin. Even awake breathing deeply was beyond difficult because of the panic. That’s when we went to the ER at 2am.  

I would not wish this kind of experience on anyone. It’s been total hell.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, 4th&amp;Five said:

Just tested positive. We flew last weekend and I started feeling bad Tuesday night. I thought it was just a head cold until I had a little fever this afternoon. Third time in 2 years for me. 

I hope it’s a breeze. Everyone else in my family it’s nothing but allergies rn. 

I just hiked 65 miles through the mountains west of Lake Tahoe, 7k-9k feet, and started feeling crappy on day one. Did ok during the day, but nights got me all stuffed up and coughy in the morning. Tested positive when I got out of the mountains yesterday. Certainly made the hike a little more difficult, but glad I seem to be handling it ok. 

probably last day or two of classic symptoms to go, on day 12 now, never used the codeine. I've probably used 25 of the 120 inhaler shots so even that wasn't needed too much. but damn if fatigue isn't a bitch now. first go round was a 3-4 week recovery to 100% with very mild symptoms when initially sick. this time I'm thinking I've got 3-4 weeks to go, so 5-6 weeks total.

a bitch of a virus.

• Hook 'Em 1

I tested positive on Friday, felt like shit all weekend, began feeling better on Sunday night, felt much better yesterday and feel great as of tonight ... nearly 100%.    I took this Covid journey with my devices --- my oximeter and my fitbit ---- and it's interesting to look at it.

Last Wednesday night, my resting pulse was 61 bpm, my overnight breaths per minute at 13, and my temperature .2 degrees above average. 

I began to feel bad on Thursday. My resting pulse on Thursday night was 66 bpm, my overnight breaths per minute at 17 (highest ever) and my temperature .9 degrees above average.

Friday and Saturday I felt awful.  My resting pulse on both nights was 73 bpm, my overnight breaths per minute were 21 & 22, and my temperature 4.1 degrees and 3.9 degrees above normal.  Everything was elevated because my body was trying to fight off the infection and because my lungs were operating so inefficiently.

Sunday night my resting pulse edged downward to 69 bpm, breaths per minute were 18, and my temperature 1.1 degrees above average.

Monday night my resting pulse was down to 65 bpm, breaths 15 per minute, and temperature .2 degrees above average.

It was the same thing with my oxygen levels. I'm normally anywhere from 95%-98% on the oximeter. As my lungs filled with mucous, that went down to the upper 80s-low 90s, to the point that I'd have to consciously deep breath to restore it to MAYBE 93.  But now I'm back up to 96%, my resting pulse is 62 as I type this etc ...

It's fascinating to be able to measure both an invader's advance and your body's response to it. 

There were a few times when I woke up in the middle of the night feeling unable to breathe, slapped my oximeter on, and I was down around 85% oxygen levels. Felt like I was suffocating. 

3 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Yeah 80s is getting into danger zone

I had an anaphylactic reaction to something a few years ago and got down to 77%. I drove myself to one of those 24-hour emergency clinics a few miles away and they were amazed that I made it. I've had it happen in the past so I am pretty well versed on all this stuff. The thing is we can't figure out what triggers it. I went to the Austin Allergy clinic and did the whole test thing and the only thing I was allergic to was cedar, which I already knew.

But, yeah ... 77% is scary as hell. 

On 7/19/2024 at 5:29 PM, troph said:

I don't drink when I'm sick.

I eat like rabbit and a shaman or some shit.  for a three day stretch it was salads (with all the veggies), nuts, seeds, apples, bananas, blueberries, strawberries, oranges, tumeric, ginger, garlic shots, elderberry shots, micro greens of many varieties, yougurt, chicken tortilla soup without cheese or chips, sweet potatoes, fresh squeezed kale/lettuce/cucumber/celery juice and shit and a ton of water. basically instead of a supplement crazy I read up on what's good for your immune system and I go to town on the diet.

my wife accused me of being my mom.

I just switch to dos xx with a lime. Vitamin C and all. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2