COVID-19 vaccine discussion

Texas Jeff

Update from Pfizer on their flu/covid combo vax:
https://www.pfizer.com/news/press-release/press-release-detail/pfizer-and-biontech-provide-update-mrna-based-combination

Haven’t read it all yet but I think that not meeting primary end point for influenza B means they won’t try to market it. 

I’ll just keep getting two shots.

4 hours ago, dcbc said:

200.webp

Hahaha each one of them were a godsend. It was a tad hard after two weeks of taking something to sleep without help but I’m there. And I’ll just say it - after about 10 days of little or no sleep that first night that prednisone kicked in and I took a Xanax? Well that might have been the best night of sleep I’ve ever had.

19 minutes ago, Hefeweizen said:

Well furk.  Wife just tested positive, running a brutal fever so I picked up Paxlovid for her, but my unicorn status may be in danger again.  If I dodge it again I’ll go buy a lottery ticket.

Good luck.  I thought that after 4-1/2 years without getting it that I might just be naturally immune.  I was wrong. 

• Hook 'Em 2

On 8/12/2024 at 7:47 AM, Biff Tannen said:

Braggart

Don't care. Had sex.

I had Covid about four weeks ago for 4-5 days. Felt like a truck hit me. One thing that was interesting is that my fitbit picked up on it about 12 hours before I started feeling bad.  My pulse rate is normally 58-60 BPM and when I woke up one morning it had been 70-72 all night. My temperature was elevated, too. I though "WTF?"  Normally my pulse rate is rock solid. Anyway, about six hours later I started felling bad and about six hours after that I knew.  I did not go to the doctor but I had a COVID test at home and I was positive.  What's crazy is that I'm still coughing quite a bit and wheezing, too, even though I've feel fine, otherwise, for three weeks. 

• Hook 'Em 1

It tested positive the Sunday before last. A coworker texted me that morning to tell me she tested positive. Took a test and it was negative. Started getting a scratchy throat at about 3 pm and took another test. BOOM! Four hours later and I was down for the count. Did a tele med appointment, had a Paxlovid prescription waiting for me Monday morning, and by the 3rd dose the congestion in my chest began to clear up. Still felt like crap with other symptoms until Friday morning, but it did seem to clear my lungs very quickly, which was my biggest issue.

• Hook 'Em 1

• 3 weeks later...

Got my new, updated Covid booster today (Pfizer every time) to protect me from the new variants. Got a separate flu shot while I was at it. Quick and painless with no side effects. I’m ready for fall.

That’s a total of 5 times I’ve received the Covid vaccine now. No problems whatsoever. A little pain in my arm after the 4th shot that went away within 24 hrs. That’s it. On a scale of 1-10, it was a 1.

• Hook 'Em 2

16 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Got my new, updated Covid booster today (Pfizer every time) to protect me from the new variants. Got a separate flu shot while I was at it. Quick and painless with no side effects. I’m ready for fall.

That’s a total of 5 times I’ve received the Covid vaccine now. No problems whatsoever. A little pain in my arm after the 4th shot that went away within 24 hrs. That’s it. On a scale of 1-10, it was a 1.

5 times you say?

giphy.gif?cid=6c09b952edi29ductpvh7nn8bt

Seriously, my kid just got over it, and thankfully it was a milder variant (no real fever, no pants shitting).  I'm sure I had it but never had a positive test like my kid, and will just have to wait until UT texts me to come in and give them my blood.

• Haha 1

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41541-024-00951-8

COVID-19 vaccine refusal is driven by deliberate ignorance and cognitive distortions

Vaccine hesitancy was a major challenge during the COVID-19 pandemic. A common but sometimes ineffective intervention to reduce vaccine hesitancy involves providing information on vaccine effectiveness, side effects, and related probabilities. Could biased processing of this information contribute to vaccine refusal? We examined the information inspection of 1200 U.S. participants with anti-vaccination, neutral, or pro-vaccination attitudes before they stated their willingness to accept eight different COVID-19 vaccines. All participants—particularly those who were anti-vaccination—frequently ignored some of the information. This deliberate ignorance, especially toward probabilities of extreme side effects, was a stronger predictor of vaccine refusal than typically investigated demographic variables. Computational modeling suggested that vaccine refusals among anti-vaccination participants were driven by ignoring even inspected information. In the neutral and pro-vaccination groups, vaccine refusal was driven by distorted processing of side effects and their probabilities. Our findings highlight the necessity for interventions tailored to individual information-processing tendencies.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 8/22/2024 at 5:13 PM, Deej said:

It tested positive the Sunday before last. A coworker texted me that morning to tell me she tested positive. Took a test and it was negative. Started getting a scratchy throat at about 3 pm and took another test. BOOM! Four hours later and I was down for the count. Did a tele med appointment, had a Paxlovid prescription waiting for me Monday morning, and by the 3rd dose the congestion in my chest began to clear up. Still felt like crap with other symptoms until Friday morning, but it did seem to clear my lungs very quickly, which was my biggest issue.

On 9/10/2024 at 7:34 PM, Deej said:

Every time I bring up getting the new booster to my mom, she suddenly has to get off the phone. I'm sure she's safe, being 84 years old and an avid fan of Fox News.

she should see what she's been missing out on apparently  

1 hour ago, Captainant said:

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41541-024-00951-8

COVID-19 vaccine refusal is driven by deliberate ignorance and cognitive distortions

Vaccine hesitancy was a major challenge during the COVID-19 pandemic. A common but sometimes ineffective intervention to reduce vaccine hesitancy involves providing information on vaccine effectiveness, side effects, and related probabilities. Could biased processing of this information contribute to vaccine refusal? We examined the information inspection of 1200 U.S. participants with anti-vaccination, neutral, or pro-vaccination attitudes before they stated their willingness to accept eight different COVID-19 vaccines. All participants—particularly those who were anti-vaccination—frequently ignored some of the information. This deliberate ignorance, especially toward probabilities of extreme side effects, was a stronger predictor of vaccine refusal than typically investigated demographic variables. Computational modeling suggested that vaccine refusals among anti-vaccination participants were driven by ignoring even inspected information. In the neutral and pro-vaccination groups, vaccine refusal was driven by distorted processing of side effects and their probabilities. Our findings highlight the necessity for interventions tailored to individual information-processing tendencies.

Mine was driven by the constant goal post moving by the major media outlets when I used to pay attention to them.  I got the first two pfizer shots.  At the time, we were told that we wouldn't get sick.  People started getting sick after getting shots.  Then they said you can't spread it if you're vaccinated, then studies came out about how people were still spreading it even though they were vaxxed.  Oh, well then it was we wouldn't get critically ill.  Deaths started decreasing but infections were going up, causing people to question why even get "boosted" when natural immunity is better than protection from vaccines.

In hindsight, I wish I hadn't gotten vaxxed.  Mainly because I believe I'm in better physical shape than 99% of the population and have almost zero risk of being hospitalized because of covid. 

In my opinion, it's not deliberate ignorance, it's logic.

• Hook 'Em 3

1 minute ago, pearlandhorn said:

Mine was driven by the constant goal post moving by the major media outlets when I used to pay attention to them.  I got the first two pfizer shots.  At the time, we were told that we wouldn't get sick.  People started getting sick after getting shots.  Then they said you can't spread it if you're vaccinated, then studies came out about how people were still spreading it even though they were vaxxed.  Oh, well then it was we wouldn't get critically ill.  Deaths started decreasing but infections were going up, causing people to question why even get "boosted" when natural immunity is better than protection from vaccines.

In hindsight, I wish I hadn't gotten vaxxed.  Mainly because I believe I'm in better physical shape than 99% of the population and have almost zero risk of being hospitalized because of covid. 

In my opinion, it's not deliberate ignorance, it's logic.

Vaccines don't prevent illness. They prevent death

• Hook 'Em 1

33 minutes ago, pearlandhorn said:

Then why were we told they prevent illness?

I’m sorry there was not a person with reading comprehension around you to explain it to you during the periods in question.

You are essentially telling us that there is no such thing as global warming because you were camping one night and it got colder than normal. O.K.   

in the history of the vaccine, nobody ever said the vaccine would keep everyone from getting Covid.  Jesus Christ. I highly encourage you to never get any vaccine of any kind again for as long as you live.   Rock on, Nano-bot Warrior.

• Hook 'Em 2

14 minutes ago, Captainant said:

Could you provide a specific example of your grievance? Or is it just one of those "you heard it from a friend" things? I don't recall ever hearing that it would prevent illness, perhaps serious illness

The President, the President's Press Secretary, the Director of the NIH, the Director of the CDC...

9 minutes ago, Basil said:

Told by whom?  Was it a reliable source?  Was the message exact in what would or wouldn't happen?  Just "[w]e were told" is not exactly a great foundation to make an informed choice.

Are The President, the President's Press Secretary, the Director of the NIH, the Director of the CDC a reliable source?

4 minutes ago, Gatorubet said:

I’m sorry there was not a person with reading comprehension around you to explain it to you during the periods in question.

You are essentially telling us that there is no such thing as global warming because you were camping one night and it got colder than normal. O.K.   

in the history of the vaccine, nobody ever said the vaccine would keep everyone from getting Covid.  Jesus Christ. I highly encourage you to never get any vaccine of any kind again for as long as you live.   Rock on, Nano-bot Warrior.

Start at :34.

Edited by pearlandhorn
  • Fuck You 1

2 minutes ago, Gatorubet said:

I mean, he's doing an excellent job of validating the findings from that study lol

1 minute ago, pearlandhorn said:

The President, the President's Press Secretary, the Director of the NIH, the Director of the CDC...

Are The President, the President's Press Secretary, the Director of the NIH, the Director of the CDC a reliable source?

LMFAO tucker carlson's news network is your source of truth for a straw man claim? This makes much more sense now

• Haha 1

Just now, pearlandhorn said:

First video I clicked on when I searched "government saying vaccine prevents infection".

This better?:

LMAO

You agree with the claim that the vaccines caused "excess deaths?"

#Nuremberg2??

Are you anti-Semitic? Or are you just ok with sharing Anti-Semitic content?

2 minutes ago, pearlandhorn said:

Do you understand that lower amounts of the virus in the bodies of people infected results in less communicable cases - so that people with no or now-milder cases of Covid will not infect as many other people as if they had not had the vaccine?

Can you understand that the scenario I just describe perfectly fits within the descriptor “getting the vaccine helps prevent Covid?”

Are you choosing to completely ignore the post-Covid medical statistics that show that the red state vaccine questioning demographics suffered more Covid deaths than blue state sheeple who took the vaccine?  Do you deny, or simply ignore it?

Are you advocating that people should not take the latest flu shots because even after the vaccine some people will still get a milder flu - just like the Covid vaccine? 

You are really basing your opinion on a cut and paste video that does not contain the entirety of the many discussions and messaging about how the virus spreads, but only cherry-picked selected parts of the messaging to support your agenda?

Finally, when you pull out your spray bottle and point it at the sky to combat the contrails, can you let us know the best vinegar to use?

• Hook 'Em 2

19 minutes ago, Basil said:

Told by whom?  Was it a reliable source?  Was the message exact in what would or wouldn't happen?  Just "[w]e were told" is not exactly a great foundation to make an informed choice.

Maddow said it, so no, it wasn't a reliable source, even though wasn't that the name of her little friend's show ironically enough? lol

• Fuck You 9

Yeah, pretty telling that when asked to show their sources the best they can come up with are voices that equate the vaccine campaign with the Holocaust and call for the hanging of journalists for promoting vaccines. Good job, good effort.

Edit: LMAO, Zach Jones "enemy of the regime" is still pushing the Pizzagate hoax as recently as April, 2024. I imagine the brain worms inside @Truth Hurts's head have managed to construct an entire city by this point.

Edited by Foosters
  • Haha 1

Any politician (R or D) that claimed the covid vax would prevent ALL illness was obviously incorrect.  But politicians tend to be self-serving narcissists that play fast and loose with facts, so anyone who gets their medical advice from them is a fool.

My recollection from the actual virologists who spoke publicly is that the vaccine trials showed it was very effective at preventing death and *serious* illness (i.e. hospitalization).  Which is really the goal - keep people alive and out of hospitals.  If there are any doctors or scientists who claimed 100% protection from transmission and mild illness, they should lose their license or funding.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, Todd Gack said:

Any politician (R or D) that claimed the covid vax would prevent ALL illness was obviously incorrect.  But politicians tend to be self-serving narcissists that play fast and loose with facts, so anyone who gets their medical advice from them is a fool.

My recollection from the actual virologists who spoke publicly is that the vaccine trials showed it was very effective at preventing death and *serious* illness (i.e. hospitalization).  Which is really the goal - keep people alive and out of hospitals.  If there are any doctors or scientists who claimed 100% protection from transmission and mild illness, they should lose their license or funding.

It’s like all of those discussions about how the Covid vaccines keep recipients from turning into serious respiratory distress cases requiring hospital beds and ventilators - that were at a shortage - never took place.  At the time the goal was to make sure they were enough hospital beds for the seriously ill, which was the first reason for folks to get the vaccine- to ensure they would not get a more serious case.

Were these posters asleep or out of the country when this discussion happened?

• Hook 'Em 2

I made a mistake.   I logged directly into X. I should know better.    The top post that X thought I'd be interested in: TURBO CANCER.

yep, I found out what the anti-vaxxers are up to today.

image.png.f63ede20caa69ef15a2eed647c78a767.png

This can't be real. 

This HAS to be a 4-chan prank where they made up the dumbest shit they could think of and planted it in the media to see what would take off. 

I hate stupid people so much.

• Haha 3

22 minutes ago, Truth Hurts said:

Tucker is responsible for the words coming out of Biden's mouth on that video? Wow he is powerful 

Bidens quote from the video: "Full vaccinated people are at a very very low risk of getting COVID-19". Fauci said "if you're vaccinated you have a very high degree of protection"

Nobody in that video said what you and pearlandhorn are asserting they did.

You two are simply fucking lying about it and repeating the words of a known russian disinformation agent, and seeking out the absolute worst twitter sources to confirm your biases.

• Hook 'Em 3

Just now, Captainant said:

Bidens quote from the video: "Full vaccinated people are at a very very low risk of getting COVID-19". Fauci said "if you're vaccinated you have a very high degree of protection"

Nobody in that video said what you and pearlandhorn are asserting they did.

You two are simply fucking lying about it and repeating the words of a known russian disinformation agent, and seeking out the absolute worst twitter sources to confirm your biases.

Words no longer matter. With a name like @Truth Hurts you just knew he was going to be a stupid asshole. 

• Hook 'Em 3

14 minutes ago, 0xdeadbeef said:

I made a mistake.   I logged directly into X. I should know better.    The top post that X thought I'd be interested in: TURBO CANCER.

This can't be real. 

This HAS to be a 4-chan prank where they made up the dumbest shit they could think of and planted it in the media to see what would take off. 

If you ever use a term like "turbo cancer".....

breakfast-club-neo-maxizoom-dweebie.png

• Hook 'Em 2

20 minutes ago, 0xdeadbeef said:

This can't be real. 

Does that cancer come with flame analyzation detectors?