Florida Gators

Zeus

2 minutes ago, Magus Ossis said:

What are the relative estimated NIL strengths of FSU, UF, and UM? My gut tells me UM is the greater long-term threat nationally based on the city, but you could fill a bookcase with what I don't know about those schools.

UM is really small. The alumni with the fat wallets went to UF. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Doc Sam Beckett said:

In his second full season as head coach, Dabo went 6-7, thanks in large part to his horrible offensive coordinator. I didn't think Dabo was smart enough to fire that drooling moron, but he did, and went on to win 2 national championships.

The offensive coordinator that was fired, immediately making Clemson light years better?

You guessed it, Billy Napier 

I would have thought Frank Stallone

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Magus Ossis said:

What are the relative estimated NIL strengths of FSU, UF, and UM? My gut tells me UM is the greater long-term threat nationally based on the city, but you could fill a bookcase with what I don't know about those schools.

FSU's got willing alums up to a point. They've only got so much to work with and they have to make choices the same as many schools in the mid-tier range of this stuff. 

UF's base will provide help if there's hope. They're not idiots. They're also not in the upper tier at this point. If they hire someone they're excited about, that could change. UF has never been one of the crazies in the SEC when it comes to buying players before the NIL era. Meyer had people helping out, but back then, $500k could buy the top end of a great class. You want a top flight roster now? Barring a miracle or a Saban discount, you're going to need north of $12M and that isn't UF. 

Miami has more than people think and Cristobal isn't totally dependent upon the original loudmouth supporting them. They're not upper tier on the alumni/collective side, but they're not middling. The thing Miami has that the other two do not is corporate NIL. Miami is a big city with a lot of brands that are willing to align with personalities. That helps put them into the higher realm of NIL, likely only lacking to the likes of Texas, Oregon, Ohio State and a few random programs each cycle. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

After Steve Spurrier left, Florida has had:
1. Three seasons with Ron Zook.
2. Six seasons with Urban Meyer - Two National Championships
3. Four seasons with Will Muschamp.
4. Three seasons with Jim McElwain.
5. Four seasons with Dan Mullen. 
6.  Three seasons with Mark Napier. 
I wonder if the admins ever think "gee, maybe it's us." 

Fuckin’ Mark.

FSU's got willing alums up to a point. They've only got so much to work with and they have to make choices the same as many schools in the mid-tier range of this stuff. 
UF's base will provide help if there's hope. They're not idiots. They're also not in the upper tier at this point. If they hire someone they're excited about, that could change. UF has never been one of the crazies in the SEC when it comes to buying players before the NIL era. Meyer had people helping out, but back then, $500k could buy the top end of a great class. You want a top flight roster now? Barring a miracle or a Saban discount, you're going to need north of $12M and that isn't UF. 
Miami has more than people think and Cristobal isn't totally dependent upon the original loudmouth supporting them. They're not upper tier on the alumni/collective side, but they're not middling. The thing Miami has that the other two do not is corporate NIL. Miami is a big city with a lot of brands that are willing to align with personalities. That helps put them into the higher realm of NIL, likely only lacking to the likes of Texas, Oregon, Ohio State and a few random programs each cycle. 

The Gator NIL budget this year was 13-15 million. So don’t blame it on money…..

The administration changed between #4 and #5.
Jeremy Foley was considered one of the best ADs in the country and made a ton of great hires across the board in athletics and is a major reason why UF has the streak of 30+ years finishing in the top 10 in the all-sports rankings, though it could be argued that he never made a good one for football. Spurrier was one of the last hires that Arnsparger made before returning to the NFL, and it's arguable that Meyer's hire was directed and made happen by then-president, Bernie Machen who had just come from Utah the year before. 
Stricklin has been the AD since 2016 and he brought Mullen with him from Miss St. and of all of the hires, the only one that's been successful has been Nesty, our swimming coach.
He's also made two spectacularly bad coaching hires in women's basketball and soccer. Both who not only never won, but were fired over abuse accusations.

I agree that Stricklin has not been great (hard to follow Jeremy Foley.) But I think you forgot he hired Todd Golden. Who at this point looks to be a Billy Donovan starter kit.

On 9/16/2024 at 8:08 AM, gatormarc said:

The administration changed between #4 and #5.

Jeremy Foley was considered one of the best ADs in the country and made a ton of great hires across the board in athletics and is a major reason why UF has the streak of 30+ years finishing in the top 10 in the all-sports rankings, though it could be argued that he never made a good one for football. Spurrier was one of the last hires that Arnsparger made before returning to the NFL, and it's arguable that Meyer's hire was directed and made happen by then-president, Bernie Machen who had just come from Utah the year before. 

Stricklin has been the AD since 2016 and he brought Mullen with him from Miss St. and of all of the hires, the only one that's been successful has been Nesty, our swimming coach.

He's also made two spectacularly bad coaching hires in women's basketball and soccer. Both who not only never won, but were fired over abuse accusations.

On 9/16/2024 at 8:17 AM, BurntOrange&White said:

Florida needs to figure out if they're set on keeping Stricklin as AD first....

According to this article the Gators need to clean house in the athletic department. It's not just Stricklin but holdovers from the Foley era: https://www.on3.com/news/the-florida-gators-have-more-than-just-a-billy-napier-problem/

I mentioned this in the coaching carousel thread, but with the president resigning, they will need to deal with that before doing much with the AD and football coach. Kind of like the world USC was in when they had to stick with Helton longer than they wanted. 

19 hours ago, DallasGatr said:

I agree that Stricklin has not been great (hard to follow Jeremy Foley.) But I think you forgot he hired Todd Golden. Who at this point looks to be a Billy Donovan starter kit.

I agree that Golden looks good and we're trending in a positive direction, but he hasn't won anything yet. I didn't feel the need to mention every coach where the jury is still out.