Markets still falling like whoa

22 hours ago, Incredulity said:

it's in the title.

on that topic, anyone recall the whoa that was the OG whoa in shag/surl history?  does it go back to 08/09?

i think the original markets falling like whoa was the september 2015 flash crash. it definitely did not go all the way back to the financial crisis.

1 hour ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Starbucks fired their 1-year tenure CEO this morning. Replaced him with the Chipotle CEO. SBUX up 23%

I've actually rediscovered Starbucks as an ok coffee shop again over the past 6 months. I can actually find a place to park and even sit if I want to for a few minutes. I had previously stopped going when it turned into a 15+ minute wait for my order. When driving to work, I can't have that long of a wait.

While I like that as a customer, that must not be good for the bottom line.

F the coffee dweeb haters. Starbucks is good. Their food options are good. App is good. Ordering process is good. Stores are good. 

2 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Starbucks fired their 1-year tenure CEO this morning. Replaced him with the Chipotle CEO. SBUX up 23%

I've actually rediscovered Starbucks as an ok coffee shop again over the past 6 months. I can actually find a place to park and even sit if I want to for a few minutes. I had previously stopped going when it turned into a 15+ minute wait for my order. When driving to work, I can't have that long of a wait.

"Hey you didn't fill my cup all the way!"

"Oh, that'll be a double then"

They're gonna Chipotle your Starbucks, the CEO announcement only ever talked about creating value, and nothing about the product or customer experience 

Edit: and besides, making your own coffee each morning is the fuckin BEST

Edited by Captainant

1 hour ago, Incredulity said:

No Meh GIF by Katelyn Tarver

I'd take a McDonald's or Dunkin coffee over Starbucks anyday.  But I don't fuck with the 400 calorie dessert drinks

I’m team make at home (working from home leads to it) but if I’m getting from a coffee place it’s gonna be a mom and pop place not Starbucks 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, UTPhil2006 said:

I’m team make at home (working from home leads to it) but if I’m getting from a coffee place it’s gonna be a mom and pop place not Starbucks 

I go to the bulk coffee section at H-E-B.  50% Espresso Roast, 25% Sumatran, 25% Hawaiian (if they don't have that, then Costa Rican) whole bean and then grind it.  Freezer kept.  Dash of real vanilla with it in the grounds (thanks Donna) and boom.  Delicioso.  

• Hook 'Em 2

16 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Chipotle took a big dump on that news. They had gone on a decade long tear. This summer they did a 50-1 split because each share was so nominally high - in the thousands.

When Starbucks stopped having drip coffee and went Vertica "instant" brew I gave up any thought of every going again. Didn't care for it but might go in an airport or such in a pinch. Now... no chance.

Just tells you how little actual "coffee" they were selling. Everything is a calorie bomb drink now.

13 hours ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

When Starbucks stopped having drip coffee and went Vertica "instant" brew I gave up any thought of every going again. Didn't care for it but might go in an airport or such in a pinch. Now... no chance.

Just tells you how little actual "coffee" they were selling. Everything is a calorie bomb drink now.

WFT? I stopped visiting starbucks once the cost of a large drip coffee passed $3, and then once  WFH  started I starting grinding my own etc... But you're telling me they dont even sell drip coffee anymore? That probably explains why Nice Guy Eddie can zip right in these days. 

And I don't even buy fancy coffee. I get like a 2.5lb bag of Ruta Maya at costco for like $16, and that lasts a couple of months. $16 would be 4-5 cups at starbucks, lulz. They can fuck right off.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, Storm the Field said:

Jobless claims come in light, retail sales for July surprised strongly to the upside (1% vs 0.4% estimate). 

Stonks to the moon. 

The retail sales thing is such complete bullshit.  The thing that drove the difference between the June vs July retail sales is automobile sales.  That software fuck up caused cars not to sell in June.  It got fixed and they sold cars in July.   Fucking statistics are stupid

16 minutes ago, FartingMonk said:

The retail sales thing is such complete bullshit.  The thing that drove the difference between the June vs July retail sales is automobile sales.  That software fuck up caused cars not to sell in June.  It got fixed and they sold cars in July.   Fucking statistics are stupid

Sorry about your puts, I guess.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3

45 minutes ago, FartingMonk said:

You should let all the traders know. They’ll take it to heart.

Everywhere I turned over the last year or two, friends and family have been telling me Chipotle sucks these days. And I just saw that the CEO had produced excellent earnings growth over the last several years, hence why he was hired to Starbucks. So what’s the real story on Chipotle? All my friend are wrong, or my friends are smarter than all the dipshits still giving them business?

52 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

Everywhere I turned over the last year or two, friends and family have been telling me Chipotle sucks these days. And I just saw that the CEO had produced excellent earnings growth over the last several years, hence why he was hired to Starbucks. So what’s the real story on Chipotle? All my friend are wrong, or my friends are smarter than all the dipshits still giving them business?

Whataburger meal is up to 12-14 bucks making the $15 burrito seem more acceptable?

1 hour ago, Dbeasy said:

their CEO recently remarked that it was an "accident" that portion sizes had been getting systemically smaller. It started out as a meme that the company brushed off, but they eventually addressed on an earnings call

1 minute ago, Captainant said:

their CEO recently remarked that it was an "accident" that portion sizes had been getting systemically smaller. It started out as a meme that the company brushed off, but they eventually addressed on an earnings call

The complaint I kept hearing was also taste declined. But I never go there, primarily because friends warned me away from it. Anyway back to market news. 

13 hours ago, Dbeasy said:

The complaint I kept hearing was also taste declined. But I never go there, primarily because friends warned me away from it. Anyway back to market news. 

I still like it, but it's not as good. After their food safety concerns a few years back they stopped doing everything fresh at each location and centralized a lot of the food prep, especially around meats. It's just not as tasty now. Might pick up once or twice a year now.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, PilotsError said:

He's a great CEO for the shareholders.  A terrible CEO for the customers.

I can rationalize this disconnect at a lot of companies, but a company that serves food?? Make it make sense.

On 8/14/2024 at 12:12 PM, StassneyHorn said:

Never been a coffee guy, but Chipotle managed to be the only burrito place with a vegetarian option (sofritas) that makes me forget about the other protein options. It’s great if you try to do meatless Monday.

who the fuck does something called meatless mondays?

• Hook 'Em 1

People who want to eat less meat. People who want to make small changes to lower their blood pressure. People who want to lose weight.

Will Taco Tuesday blow your mind? What about Wing Wednesday? Fish Friday?

Edited by StassneyHorn
  • Haha 1

50 minutes ago, StassneyHorn said:

People who want to eat less meat. People who want to make small changes to lower their blood pressure. People who want to lose weight.

Will Taco Tuesday blow your mind? What about Wing Wednesday? Fish Friday?

Yes, be more healthy by avoiding one of the most nutrient dense sustenance on the planet. We totally evolved to 2024 by eating fucking lettuce.

• Hook 'Em 1

The old tax on unrealized gains for High net worth individuals is being thrown around again, along with increasing the long term cap gains rate from 20% to 44.6%. Irrespective of your thoughts on the merits, would be large negative to markets. Would have to expect some major capital flight. 

What is the net worth threshold?

2 hours ago, Margin call said:

The old tax on unrealized gains for High net worth individuals is being thrown around again, along with increasing the long term cap gains rate from 20% to 44.6%. Irrespective of your thoughts on the merits, would be large negative to markets. Would have to expect some major capital flight. 

This should be a non-starter for even the typical cloak roomer 

On 8/20/2024 at 10:23 PM, Incredulity said:

It’s not.  Taxing unrealized gains would be a family business death machine and only exasperate wealth concentration.

explain this line of thinking lol. 100M+ net worth individuals getting taxed will lead to more wealth concentration? That's really neat. I'd like to understand the math behind that.

• Like 1