Show me your old Tacos (4Runner, FJ, Landcruiser, bronco etc)

cknight

• 3 weeks later...

Alright gents, long time lurker. I bought my first classic car, a 1998 Toyota 4runner Limited with 1 owner and 109k miles total. I would love to trick this thing out over time but wonder if this thing would be much more valuable and collectable if I leave it original as is? Debating on keeping this a roadtrip/dog/kids/lake car or keeping it for a couple years putting some work into it and selling it at a profit.

The only work it needs is a new driver's seat due to tears and the clear coat has begun to fade on the roof. If anyone has recommendations on where to start looking for both of those things that would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

She gets here on Friday.

image.png.a82318fb80b5eaa080a014c3cb35606d.pngimage.thumb.png.790d8242eead795c6570a38d9cebe082.png

image.png.da4d128d5abfd825a8bef88503d16c41.png

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, HellesBier said:

Alright gents, long time lurker. I bought my first classic car, a 1998 Toyota 4runner Limited with 1 owner and 109k miles total. I would love to trick this thing out over time but wonder if this thing would be much more valuable and collectable if I leave it original as is? Debating on keeping this a roadtrip/dog/kids/lake car or keeping it for a couple years putting some work into it and selling it at a profit.

The only work it needs is a new driver's seat due to tears and the clear coat has begun to fade on the roof. If anyone has recommendations on where to start looking for both of those things that would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

She gets here on Friday.

image.png.a82318fb80b5eaa080a014c3cb35606d.pngimage.thumb.png.790d8242eead795c6570a38d9cebe082.png

Needs a new antenna, too.  Easy to replace, though. Congrats.  Truck should last you a good, long while.  Just drive it and don't worry about it.  It's not going to appreciate like a Landcruiser.  There are too many of them around for that.

On 4/6/2024 at 4:33 PM, Pescado_Rojo said:

Ex-wife had it on her 15. When it went out I put Bilsteins on it and she didn’t notice a difference. 

Did you just replace the shocks or did you change the coils as well.   Toyota shop (not dealer) recommending converting to full SR5 suspension.  Apparently the coils are different and it affects the ride. 

10 hours ago, Jerry Callo said:

Did you just replace the shocks or did you change the coils as well.   Toyota shop (not dealer) recommending converting to full SR5 suspension.  Apparently the coils are different and it affects the ride. 

I wish I could remember, but it's probably been 6 years. I think we just did the tubes. 

• Hook 'Em 1

11 hours ago, Chewbacca said:

Needs a new antenna, too.  Easy to replace, though. Congrats.  Truck should last you a good, long while.  Just drive it and don't worry about it.  It's not going to appreciate like a Landcruiser.  There are too many of them around for that.

I have never owned a car this old nor am I very mechanical. Figure this would be a good one to learn the ropes on somewhat. 

Is there a go to website or place to look for antennas and or the seats that I mentioned were torn?

Any idea what paint/clear coat would cost? Do I take it to a dealership or do I just google local paint shops and research? I am in the Dallas area and thank you for the help.

1 minute ago, HellesBier said:

I have never owned a car this old nor am I very mechanical. Figure this would be a good one to learn the ropes on somewhat. 

Is there a go to website or place to look for antennas and or the seats that I mentioned were torn?

Any idea what paint/clear coat would cost? Do I take it to a dealership or do I just google local paint shops and research? I am in the Dallas area and thank you for the help.

Search the web for a Toyota 4Runner group - its a great place to get answers to specific questions.  Don't get anywhere near a dealership with a 26 year old car.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, HellesBier said:

https://www.4runners.com/

For stuff like antennas, google and youtube are your friends.  90% of fixes you want to make will be on youtube.  

I have zero knowledge of value as a collectible, other than paying attention to bringatrailer.com and some others on social media, but my suspicion is that your truck doesn't hold much value in that realm.  My uneducated opinion is that you trick it out how you want it and drive the hell out of it.  I loved my Gen3 and thought it handled much better than my Gen5.

She gets here on Friday.

What a find! It looks to be in great condition, especially the paint. I have a 99 SR5 Sport V6 4x4 in that same metallic green with 175k. That color looks great but it has a real tendency to fade and oxidize so protect it. Mine needs a total paint job.

Some things to watch for. The sunroof can get leaky. Check the gaskets and blow out the drain. Videos are on the interwebs. Next, get the radiator checked and flushed; if it’s the original it’s 26 years old and might need replacement. Assume the timing belt is original so that’s going to be coming up soon along with the water pump. The interior plastics are 26 years old and can get fragile. Last week my driver controls in the armrest fell into the door!

You can get a new own seat cover . Otherwise I’m in the survivor camp of leaving it as original as possible. It’s a great low mileage example that should give you and the family years of fun. Mines now a family heirloom that my son wants and now my 9 year old granddaughter.

8 minutes ago, Texzilla588 said:

What a find! It looks to be in great condition, especially the paint. I have a 99 SR5 Sport V6 4x4 in that same metallic green with 175k. That color looks great but it has a real tendency to fade and oxidize so protect it. Mine needs a total paint job.

Some things to watch for. The sunroof can get leaky. Check the gaskets and blow out the drain. Videos are on the interwebs. Next, get the radiator checked and flushed; if it’s the original it’s 26 years old and might need replacement. Assume the timing belt is original so that’s going to be coming up soon along with the water pump. The interior plastics are 26 years old and can get fragile. Last week my driver controls in the armrest fell into the door!

You can get a new own seat cover . Otherwise I’m in the survivor camp of leaving it as original as possible. It’s a great low mileage example that should give you and the family years of fun. Mines now a family heirloom that my son wants and now my 9 year old granddaughter.

Appreciate it! What do you think a good price to pay was? Want to see if I overpayed or under.

You know it’s a 26 year old truck and it’s hard to appraise it as it’s very market driven. 109k and good paint is a big plus and it’s a limited. I’m selfish. I hope you paid 5 figures on it to tell me that I’m not an idiot for carrying full coverage and spending money on mine. Sometimes I go online and mines worth $10k other days it looks like it’s worth $3k. Gen3s are hot.

Do you feel good about the price? Then it’s well-bought.

On 7/2/2024 at 8:15 PM, Chewbacca said:

Maybe not on antenna. Usually it is just the plastic chain that drives the antenna that needs replacing. Don't go cheap - get the OEM. Cheap ones are not the same size. I had to replace the chain and then the entire motor later on. The motor is easy to get to BUT good ole Toyota saved a few pennies on the antenna cable. It does not disconnect from the motor so you have to thread the new one all the way to the radio. I gave up trying to follow the factory path since I would have to remove AC vent structure.

On the 3rd gen 4Runner there are really only 2 or 3 preventativre maintenance things to do. Replace the radiator or move the transmission cooler external. If the internal hose connection fails you  get antifreeze in transmission. Second is lower ball joints. Third is rear axle seals. These are hit/miss. The truck isn't going to quit working if they start leaking but ten years is a good guide on them.

Finding a new/better seat is tough because of the age. I had mine redone by a guy off Mopac and they only lasted 5 years. I then just went to seat covers. You can get an entire new leather kit but it is for all the seats. The clearcoat was a known issue on that color. A body shop visit might help but usually it requires a respray.

and I just saw the post above me mentioning radiator and LBJ :)

Edited by AUinHsv

Maybe not on antenna. Usually it is just the plastic chain that drives the antenna that needs replacing. Don't go cheap - get the OEM. Cheap ones are not the same size. I had to replace the chain and then the entire motor later on. The motor is easy to get to BUT good ole Toyota saved a few pennies on the antenna cable. It does not disconnect from the motor so you have to thread the new one all the way to the radio. I gave up trying to follow the factory path since I would have to remove AC vent structure.
On the 3rd gen 4Runner there are really only 2 or 3 preventativre maintenance things to do. Replace the radiator or move the transmission cooler external. If the internal hose connection fails you  get antifreeze in transmission. Second is lower ball joints. Third is rear axle seals. These are hit/miss. The truck isn't going to quit working if they start leaking but ten years is a good guide on them.
Finding a new/better seat is tough because of the age. I had mine redone by a guy off Mopac and they only lasted 5 years. I then just went to seat covers. You can get an entire new leather kit but it is for all the seats. The clearcoat was a known issue on that color. A body shop visit might help but usually it requires a respray.

and I just saw the post above me mentioning radiator and LBJ
The plastic part is part of the antenna unit. Probably doesn't need a motor.

6 hours ago, Chewbacca said:
23 hours ago, AUinHsv said:

and I just saw the post above me mentioning radiator and LBJ emoji4.png

The plastic part is part of the antenna unit. Probably doesn't need a motor.

That was kinda my point.  It is very easy to replace the plastic chain. Not so easy for the whole motor. Most of the time the chain is all that is needed