Tell me about Nebraska

RollLeft

2 hours ago, Blotto said:

This dude  is so far ahead  of the game. Goddamnit, why didnt we think of that. NFL players.... it seems so obvious once you hear it  from the legend himself. 

https://247sports.com/article/matt-rhule-asserts-nebraska-recruiting-evaluations-rival-ohio-state-were-recruiting-future-nfl-players-233100245/amp/

Rhule likes to publicize other teams going after his early offers... he said similar things about Texas when he was at baylor.

Screenshot_20240624-165035_kindlephoto-960358.png.9dbb9ffc1ccbdbbf0eb0da624a02bfd9.png

Matt Rhule shed light on the similarities between the recruiting approach of Nebraska and Ohio State, specifically when it comes to evaluating prospects. Although both programs are considered college football blue bloods, their on-field successes have diverged significantly this century. As Rhule tries to resurrect the Huskers back into a winning program, the Nebraska head coach says the evaluation skills of his staff matches the best in the country.

"Ohio State brings in their top recruits to camp when they're a sophomore or junior, but Ohio State sees those kids run fast and do whatever, and then those kids nationally become like a four- or five-star (recruit), and it's like they're vouched," Rhule said, via Husker247. "When they come to Nebraska it's the same thing, I want to see them too. When we offer them it's like, 'Well, Matt's recruiting diamonds in the rough.' No, we're recruiting future NFL players. So Ohio State does it, we just kind of say, 'Well, that's what it is.' We do it, it's like 'Oh, they're diamonds in the rough.' No. We evaluate just as well as anybody in the country."

Nebraska produced a top-20 national recruiting class in the 2024 cycle. The Huskers ranked 18th nationally and sixth in the expanded Big Ten. It is the second-highest national recruiting ranking for Nebraska since 2012.

Rhule continued his answer by saying the Huskers are often on of, if not the first to offer a rising recruit before other programs follow up shortly after. 

"I think what you're starting to see — you guys who talk to recruits, some of you guys I know that's your world — they get an offer from us and then they get a bunch of phone calls the next couple days," Rhule said. "People are starting to get offers the next day after we offer them because people know we know how to evaluate. So, I think the fact that we're willing to offer people, the belief our coaches have in our evaluation, it's just a really good way to do business in my mind." 

Matt Rhule earned a reputation as a top evaluator of talent in recruiting high school prospects, a skill that has been a cornerstone of his coaching success. He transformed a struggled Temple program into a conference championship contender before moving on to Baylor where he again identified and developed players at a high success rate. The Bears won just one game during his first season as head coach in 2017, but finished with 11 wins as the Big 12 runner-up soon after in 2019.

Nebraska finished with a 5-7 record in its first season under Rhule. However, the Huskers are projected to return to bowl eligibility for the first time since 2016.

Nebraska faces Ohio State Oct. 26 in Columbus.  

• 2 weeks later...

Last week:  Nebraska secondary coach and defensive pass game coordinator Evan Cooper has resigned for "personal reasons", the program announced Friday. 

Today:

Screenshot_2024-07-08-08-46-33_kindlephoto-2924450.png.9bbab205949045982bbbe59801a02a41.png

Former Big Ten coordinator tapped to coach Nebraska secondary

Former Penn State defensive coordinator and Texans, Bills secondary coach John Butler will reportedly coach Nebraska's secondary.

ZACH BARNETT        JUL 6, 2024

After the school confirmed Friday night that secondary coach Evan Cooper has resigned, ESPN reported Saturday morning that Nebraska's replacement is already in place.

Longtime NFL secondary coach and former Big Ten defensive coordinator John Butler will man the position, according to Pete Thamel.

Butler spent the past six seasons coaching the defensive backfield for the Buffalo Bills, and prior to that spent the previous four seasons in the same role with the Houston Texans. 

He went to Houston alongside Bill O'Brien after serving as his defensive backs coach (2012) and defensive coordinator (2013) at Penn State, a key cog in putting the program back together following the Jerry Sandusky scandal.

The 51-year-old Butler has previous secondary coaching experience at Catholic University, Midwestern State, and Texas State, and he also coached linebackers at Harvard and South Carolina.

Defending the pass was one of Nebraska's strong suits last season. The Huskers ranked 14th nationally in passing efficiency, limiting opponents to 59.5 percent completions for 6.1 yards per attempt with 14 touchdowns against nine interceptions. The program, once the most consistent winner in college football, looks to snap a string of seven consecutive losing seasons in 2024.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
8 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Losing Nebraska: Matt Rhule identifies Nebraska's losing problem

The Cornhuskers are seeking to halt the program's one-score skids

https://footballscoop.com/news/losing-nebraska-matt-rhule-identifies-nebraskas-losing-problem

That motherfucker is going to have them winning again. I simultaneously respect it and despise it. I’d love to see a home and home with them in the future. I don’t think they have the heart or the cajones for it, but it would be fun. 

I listened to Adam Carriker on XM 84 earlier this week talking with some hosts about Nebraska and their outlook this year. One side tangent they got on was old rivalries and such. He said that “I know I’ll catch hell for saying it here in Nebraska, but I miss playing Texas and I think most players would agree” and even the hosts were shocked. 

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, closetojumping said:

That motherfucker is going to have them winning again. I simultaneously respect it and despise it. 

Yeah, I expect CORN to beat Buffs & Deion Wk 2.  Rhule has a decent chance to have them 3-0 going into Illinois game.

Screenshot_2024-08-13-09-28-10_kindlephoto-21357034.png.554e170c18799171aa8f3cd0403ad7e9.png

Edited by LTtxfan

1 hour ago, LTtxfan said:

Yeah, I expect CORN to beat Buffs & Deion Wk 2.  Rhule has a decent chance to have them 3-0 going into Illinois game.

Screenshot_2024-08-13-09-28-10_kindlephoto-21357034.png.554e170c18799171aa8f3cd0403ad7e9.png

Most fanbases would be extremely confident about being 7-0 going into the Ohio State game with that schedule. I'm guessing they limp in at 5-2 and then lose out.

• Hook 'Em 1

20 minutes ago, The Hot Dog Buffet said:

Most fanbases would be extremely confident about being 7-0 going into the Ohio State game with that schedule. I'm guessing they limp in at 5-2 and then lose out.

They should be ashamed if they do worse than 8-4 with that schedule. They miss Michigan, PSU, and Oregon. They only definite loss is OSU. 

Just now, Park Gothic said:

They should be ashamed if they do worse than 8-4 with that schedule. They miss Michigan, PSU, and Oregon. They only definite loss is OSU. 

If they go .500, they will go to their first bowl game since 2016. And this is one of the harder schedules they have played over that time period.

23 hours ago, Park Gothic said:

7-5 or 8-4 seems likely should they avoid an injury at qb (zero depth).  Last season they turned the ball over 31 times resulting in one of the worst +/- turnover margins in the country.  The QBs were responsible for 25 of those turnovers (81%).  With even average QB play last year they were likely 8-4.

Edited by Bodhi

ISAIAH NEYOR:  Former All-Mountain West honoree itching to make big plays for Nebraska

By Andrew Kulha  |  Last updated 8/14/24

image.thumb.png.5839e95e57814bb2b0f9c4f97cd3f259.png

Sometimes a surprise player or two needs to step up when a program looks to turn the corner, which is something Matt Rhule's Nebraska Cornhuskers are hoping to do in 2024.

The Huskers have their quarterback of the present (and hopefully future) in star freshman Dylan Raiola. They have plenty of returning contributors on defense and they made a big splash in the transfer portal by bringing in former Wake Forest wideout Jahmal Banks, who notched 1,217 yards and 12 touchdowns over the last two seasons for the Demon Deacons.

Speaking of the transfer portal, Texas wideout transfer Isaiah Neyor may not have the hype that Banks is carrying heading into Lincoln, but the 6-foot-4, 220-pound senior recently relayed that he's itching to make a big impact for Nebraska after a stint with the Longhorns that never really got off the ground. He was injured during fall camp in 2022 at Texas and didn't play a game that season and only played in one game for the Longhorns in 2023.

“I’m so hungry. It was tough having to miss those two seasons,” Neyor recently told the media (h/t On3). “So, as I was going through that, I’m just sitting there, it’s just building up and building up. Now that I finally have the chance to come out there and compete at a stage like this, it’s just great. So, I’m super excited for the season and I’m excited what we can do this year.”

How Neyor bounces back from essentially two full seasons without football is a bit of an unknown, but it's worth noting that he has flashed incredible talent in the past.

His college career started at Wyoming, where he broke onto the scene in 2021 with a second-team All-Mountain West campaign. He caught 44 passes for 878 yards and 12 touchdowns in that sophomore season, averaging 19.95 yards per catch.

He's a big play threat and that's exactly what Rhule needs in his offense. He said as much when discussing Neyor, earlier this year.

"Neyor brings to us a guy at six-foot-three, 220 pounds who’s a 4.3 player. He has got good ball skills,” Rhule said, per On3. “If you’re going to try to play man coverage, we want to try to run by you. If you’re going to try to play quarters coverage, we want to try to run by you. We weren’t really able to do that very much last year – here and there we could. That’s what Isaiah brings.”

In retrospect, most of my disdain for Nebraska has been directed more toward Tom Osborne. While I have similar feelings about Rhule's choice of sideline attire, I don't particularly wish ill to the team itself. I join all who hope to see the Huskers de-pants not just Coach Prime's team, but several of their fellow B1G members as well. 

I like Coach Rhule (- the sideline attire) and I think he has Nebby on track for an 8+ win season. Nebby in bowl games is good for attendance, wherever it takes place, and it’s a Blue Blood on TV during the holidays. I miss them.

Hook’em!!!

9 minutes ago, msucolt45 said:

I like Coach Rhule (- the sideline attire) and I think he has Nebby on track for an 8+ win season. Nebby in bowl games is good for attendance, wherever it takes place, and it’s a Blue Blood on TV during the holidays. I miss them.

Hook’em!!!

EWWWWWWW

On 8/13/2024 at 8:26 AM, closetojumping said:

That motherfucker is going to have them winning again. I simultaneously respect it and despise it. I’d love to see a home and home with them in the future. I don’t think they have the heart or the cajones for it, but it would be fun.

I’d be willing to give them a 2-for-1 just for the awesomeness of picking up 2 more wins in Lincoln…