A story about a pathetic man's downfall [34 Felony Convictions]

Francisco 2.0

4 hours ago, Mo Horn said:

I know this has been said more times than there are numbers to count, but how the fuck is he still a candidate for president and how can millions of people vote for him? There is not enough capacity in the most powerful computer in the world to list the craziness that he has said and done. And yet here we are with a legit chance that he will win in November. Other than people are idiots, there is no reasonable answer. There truly cannot be that many brainless idiots in this country... or I guess there are. Just had to rant for a second. 

It would be hilarious were it not so serious. Is this karma from drumming Thomas Eagleton and Howard Dean out for their “transgressions”?

I know this has been said more times than there are numbers to count, but how the fuck is he still a candidate for president and how can millions of people vote for him? There is not enough capacity in the most powerful computer in the world to list the craziness that he has said and done. And yet here we are with a legit chance that he will win in November. Other than people are idiots, there is no reasonable answer. There truly cannot be that many brainless idiots in this country... or I guess there are. Just had to rant for a second. 

giphy.gif
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

So, referring to the multitude of copyright infringement lawsuits Trumpco is defending, one of the oldest is Eddy Grant's, for Trump's unlicensed use of Electric Avenue.

He's actually raising a defense, that probably isn't too common in these suits.

Grant alleges ownership of copyright in the music and lyrics, which is the subject of one registration, as well as a registration in the actual performance/recording of the song itself.

Apparently, though, the copyright in the performed version was registered as part of an album by Warner Brothers.  That's actually normal, as the record company usually registers and initially owns that copyright, as they usually pay for the studio and producer.  It is these rights, in addition to "master recordings" that artists usually buy back, or get back as part of the recording contract.

In this case, however, Grant had already independently recorded Electric Avenue and then licensed it to Warner, who released it as part of a greatest hits album and registered the copyright.  All that is fine, but there is a question as to whether the album registration extends to the single preexisting song Electric Avenue.  Normally, it would, because the record company initially owns the copyright in everything in the recording except music and lyrics, but this presents an oddball case.

I suppose that having one of the two registrations may halve the damage award to which Grant is entitled.  So Trump is still gonna pay, or be ordered to pay, the question becomes how much.

I don't think this scenario will be common at all, but copyright stuff can be weird, especially the way they are registered by various parties in the music game.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

In this case, however, Grant had already independently recorded Electric Avenue and then licensed it to Warner, who released it as part of a greatest hits album and registered the copyright.  All that is fine, but there is a question as to whether the album registration extends to the single preexisting song Electric Avenue.  Normally, it would, because the record company initially owns the copyright in everything in the recording except music and lyrics, but this presents an oddball case.

So this is randomly something I actually know a little about, having released music, but it is probably more common than you would think. The big question is really just going to be the language of the license agreement between Grant and WB, typically it will specify that it's very restricted to specific things (ie. physical CD's), and if so, then it depends how Turnips people are using it, if they are streaming for example, the provenance of that copy, etc... And I don't know the specifics obviously but Grant typically would get performance royalties regardless.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, G650 said:

So this is randomly something I actually know a little about, having released music, but it is probably more common than you would think. The big question is really just going to be the language of the license agreement between Grant and WB, typically it will specify that it's very restricted to specific things (ie. physical CD's), and if so, then it depends how Turnips people are using it, if they are streaming for example, the provenance of that copy, etc... And I don't know the specifics obviously but Grant typically would get performance royalties regardless.

This is a truly bizarre thing.  In the normal case, a registration to a collective or compilation work (an album, collection of short stories, etc.) extends to each individual work making up the compilation.  That, however, seems to assume that the registrant of the compilation also owns each individual, constituent work, which in the case of a sound recording, would be the case when a record company puts an artist in the studio to cut the songs making up the album.  In that case, the registration for the album of say eight songs, also covers each of the eight songs, as singles or however you want to consider them.

But, in this case, Warner was only Grant's licensee (not owner) when it registered the copyright and didn't pay the musicians, producer, or for studio time.  So, there may not be a registration for the sound recording for the song "Electric Avenue."  It appears, though, that Grant has applied for such a registration in the meantime.

The license to Warner expired after five years and everything reverted to Grant.  

There's a lot of informality in the whole copyright registration process that often doesn't hold up to scrutiny in court and makes things a free-for-all.  And it's made somewhat extra-bizarre because the US is the only country that requires registration of copyright, so it may kind of put non-Americans behind the 8-ball a bit.  Then again, the US drives pretty much everything commercially, so  . . . . 

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

So, referring to the multitude of copyright infringement lawsuits Trumpco is defending, one of the oldest is Eddy Grant's, for Trump's unlicensed use of Electric Avenue.

He's actually raising a defense, that probably isn't too common in these suits.

Grant alleges ownership of copyright in the music and lyrics, which is the subject of one registration, as well as a registration in the actual performance/recording of the song itself.

Apparently, though, the copyright in the performed version was registered as part of an album by Warner Brothers.  That's actually normal, as the record company usually registers and initially owns that copyright, as they usually pay for the studio and producer.  It is these rights, in addition to "master recordings" that artists usually buy back, or get back as part of the recording contract.

I suppose that having one of the two registrations may halve the damage award to which Grant is entitled.  So Trump is still gonna pay, or be ordered to pay, the question becomes how much.

I don't think this scenario will be common at all, but copyright stuff can be weird, especially the way they are registered by various parties in the music game.

The semester I took copyright law was one of the worst for me.  I remember the guy across the aisle from me looking over at me and saying, "When are we going to talk about the Beatles?"  

Best we got was George Harrison, and it still was mind-numbing.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, dcbc said:

The semester I took copyright law was one of the worst for me.  I remember the guy across the aisle from me looking over at me and saying, "When are we going to talk about the Beatles?"  

I was once involved in a suit involving the proper credit and royalties for "Beth" by KISS.  I was a baby lawyer back then.  Co-defendants included all of the original members of the band, and the plaintiff made noise about taking Gene Simmons' deposition.  At the time, I told the partner I was working with "if that depo happens, we have to do one thing: cross-notice the deposition and issue a subpoena duces tecum requiring Gene to produce Shannon Tweed at the depo."

Dz7Hyl3X4AADHKF.jpg

Alas, the nutbar plaintiff flaked out and the case went away.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3
  • Drool 2

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

I was once involved in a suit involving the proper credit and royalties for "Beth" by KISS.  I was a baby lawyer back then.  Co-defendants included all of the original members of the band, and the plaintiff made noise about taking Gene Simmons' deposition.  At the time, I told the partner I was working with "if that depo happens, we have to do one thing: cross-notice the deposition and issue a subpoena duces tecum requiring Gene to produce Shannon Tweed at the depo."

Dz7Hyl3X4AADHKF.jpg

Alas, the nutbar plaintiff flaked out and the case went away.

If this were a choose your own adventure story, I would have chosen a different ending.

Also, if Gene in a depo is anything like Gene as the lawyer in Extract threatening to settle the case by slamming the corporate rep's balls in a door, that would have made for some good stories.  But Shannon would have been better,  and now I'm going to need to watch Hot Dog: The Movie! tonight.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, dcbc said:

My Sweet Lord. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Gap03 said:

Yeah, let's spend a few hundred thousand bucks fighting a complex copyright case just so we can continue to use fucking "Electric Avenue."  Very stable genius indeed ... 

And he's still gonna lose.

ETA:  This concerns only his past use.  It seems they are seeking statutory damages, so a max of $150k per work infringed.  Although both the copyright registrations are for Electric Avenue, I think they are regarded as two separate works for statutory damages purposes.

So, yeah if Trumpco is successful, they might halve the damage award.  But they're going to spend at least that fucking with it.

And probably still get tagged with attorneys fees for half the case at least.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Haha 1

36 minutes ago, 4th&Five said:

Seriously, why would the parents even SEND him to NYU? Although I question how he even got in, whatever. That entire state is dead to them, even Ivanka fled for Florida. The kid will be aseriously abused and bullied there. Not that I really care. But you have to think they could have sent the kid to somewhere in Florida, or in NC. Miami is a great education. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Seriously, why would the parents even SEND him to NYU? 

The speculation (at least that I've read somewhere on Surly) is that his dad is an educational snob, that NYU is the closest to an Ivy League school he could get his son into, and Donald has too much ego to send his son somewhere else for college that might be perceived as inferior to NYU.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, South Austin said:

The speculation (at least that I've read somewhere on Surly) is that his dad is an educational snob, that NYU is the closest to an Ivy League school he could get his son into, and Donald has too much ego to send his son somewhere else for college that might be perceived as inferior to NYU.

Lol. I realize Trump went to Penn, but we all know how that happened and what his grades looked like while he was there. I have a hard time believing they couldn't find another relatively prestigious private school and possibly shoe-horned the kid into there. Northwestern, Brown, etc.

I'll be honest I'm shocked NYU even accepted the kid. 

18 minutes ago, South Austin said:

Not to mention Melania and Barron mostly stayed in NYC while Trump was in office and very likely since.

3 hours ago, Blotto said:

Womp, Womp.  

image.png.d2c51cb822d02ed72cee1c8d4b5997a2.png

He still has a ridiculous payout coming from those 115M shares, but it pleases me greatly  knowing that he's losing hundreds of millions each week as people bail on that shitco before his lockup period expires(9/20). All the dumbfuck trumpers that bought in once the merger was approved in March keep losing their ass as well, which is a nice bonus. Less money for donnie to grift. 

Hey, stupid Lib, thems unrealized losses.  I don't lose if I don't sell, besides it's like a trump trading collectible that I can show off in my mobile app as a true believer.  That's priceless.  This is the main reason I'm against Kamala and her capital gains tax making me have to sell half of the share I own to pay the tax.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, TwiceHorn said:

From what I understand, SUNY schools are pretty pretty good and maybe better than NYU and even Columbia these days.

Also, it's Binghamton U these days.

You are correct, sir. That wasn’t always the case  

When I graduated from SUNY Cortland, it was known as a top party school. 

Edited by HornPhD
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Brisketexan said:

Wasn't me.

If you are getting lots of emails offering those butt plugs with the furry animal tail attachment, though.....THAT was me.

You going to share the link, you selfish bastard? 

I'm not sure how you could do this, but it would be fricking great if the Maga loons could be convinced that their orange hero is a hostage in Mar-a-lagoo and that they have to storm the place to "free" him.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Drool 1

34 minutes ago, BamaATL said:

I'm not sure how you could do this, but it would be fricking great if the Maga loons could be convinced that their orange hero is a hostage in Mar-a-lagoo and that they have to storm the place to "free" him.  

This idea is a good bad idea.

image.gif.175674c94ae2e7858bd5a51c3345646e.gif

15 minutes ago, bolverk said:

This idea is a good bad idea.

image.gif.175674c94ae2e7858bd5a51c3345646e.gif

I just like the idea of all that trash running around that place and destroying it.  Though one could argue there is already plenty of trash running around in there now.