A story about a pathetic man's downfall [34 Felony Convictions]

Francisco 2.0

1 minute ago, Brisketexan said:

So, not saying that every company on the stock exchange should be valued solely at a revenue multiplier or somesuch.....but when you have enterprises like DJT and Tesla where the massive valuation is completely decoupled from actual performance, it's fucking nonsense.

Not only that - it's a very real source of inflation. If elmo is able to secure loans against his paper valuation and then he spends that money, he's spending money that didn't exist in circulation before. It drives up asking prices for products because there's more fluid cash available 

• Hook 'Em 2

I would think there is a lot of short covering going on, as traders waited for the inevitable dump when the restrictions on his shares were lifted. I'd imagine they want to lock in some profits before the election (when shares could jump back up if he somehow won)

• Hook 'Em 1

13 minutes ago, royiv said:

Did you wear short shorts with your roller skates?

reno 911 appreciation GIF

I was a grill jockey, those were for the carhops, the cute ones especially. Downside was it's sort of awkward flirting when you smell like a deepfryer.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, 'stache said:

I was a grill jockey, those were for the carhops, the cute ones especially. Downside was it's sort of awkward flirting when you smell like a deepfryer.

I worked at McD's   Blue Polyester unis.  It was guaranteed that if I had to make a stop on the way home.  I'd run into some girl I knew or REALLY wanted to know.  Embarrassed, grease covered, tired, and hat hair ... every time.

5 minutes ago, 'stache said:

Counterpoint....the way you ended up smelling all day after eating lunch at Mike's Pub was magical.  You could walk by someone's office, and tell where they went for lunch.  It smelled so good.

10 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Counterpoint....the way you ended up smelling all day after eating lunch at Mike's Pub was magical.  You could walk by someone's office, and tell where they went for lunch.  It smelled so good.

Man, that place was the best. For a while there, it was my go-to Friday lunch spot.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

Because it's all fake and imaginary....see below.

So much this.

And a dangerous amount of this.

Valuation in the stock market shouldn't be materially different than any other "business valuation."  I've litigated multiple cases where the value of a closely held enterprise was at issue.  Valuation is almost always done as some function of a revenue or earnings multiplier, or a discounted cash flow, something like that.  Yes, there can be some adder in there for "good will" or reasonable future potential....but it shouldn't be THE source of value, because that's just fucking imaginary bullshit.

So, not saying that every company on the stock exchange should be valued solely at a revenue multiplier or somesuch.....but when you have enterprises like DJT and Tesla where the massive valuation is completely decoupled from actual performance, it's fucking nonsense.

Yes, anything is worth what people will pay for it (so, DJT stock has been "worth" what people would pay -- today, that's apparently $12.40), but when you see such a decoupling from all performance and fundamentals, that highlights the "meme stock" vulnerability of any stock market.  If enough buyers are delusional, they can boost the share price of "We sell baggies of rancid shit, Inc., but nobody has yet bought a single baggie, and nobody is likely to do so" to $1,000 per share.  In that respect, stocks share the same vulnerability of tulip bulbs, beanie babies, crypto, etc.  Sure, it's worth $1,000 because enough of you say so....but if enough of you stop saying so, then it craters, and there are no fundamentals behind it as a backstop.  If you're holding DJT when it craters to $.02 per share, you aren't going to be bailed out by a liquidation of its assets, or a dividend based on its annual profits.  There's nothing there.  Zero.  It's all smoke and hocus pocus.

Counterpoint: We sell bags of shit Inc, offers discreet shipping anywhere,  anonymously, with a personalized note with every delivery.

I've purchased two this week.

One note said "Karma Motherfucker" and the other "fuck you."

Worth every penny. Business is booming.

1 hour ago, Captainant said:

Not only that - it's a very real source of inflation. If elmo is able to secure loans against his paper valuation and then he spends that money, he's spending money that didn't exist in circulation before. It drives up asking prices for products because there's more fluid cash available 

This is how bubbles are made.  

People with inflated home values cashing out collateral en mass to buy vacation/rental investment property driving up the price of every house.

Tech Boom

Enron

12 minutes ago, TexasEd said:

This is how bubbles are made.  

People with inflated home values cashing out collateral en mass to buy vacation/rental investment property driving up the price of every house.

Tech Boom

Enron

Enron had a whole bunch of fraud going on too.

• Hook 'Em 1

22 minutes ago, The Dog said:

guy on reddit bragging about making 60 grand US shorting DJT (and some weed stocks):

image.thumb.png.99e3f0e720b3e52792e562574247e2fd.png

who knows what he's having to pay to short though, that's the stupid shit about shorts is they never show you what you have to pay to short a stock. A lot of people aren't just gonna let you short the fuck out of it for free right now hell there's short sellers probably selling to other short sellers now it's a mess. 

2 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Because it's all fake and imaginary....see below.

So much this.

And a dangerous amount of this.

Valuation in the stock market shouldn't be materially different than any other "business valuation."  I've litigated multiple cases where the value of a closely held enterprise was at issue.  Valuation is almost always done as some function of a revenue or earnings multiplier, or a discounted cash flow, something like that.  Yes, there can be some adder in there for "good will" or reasonable future potential....but it shouldn't be THE source of value, because that's just fucking imaginary bullshit.

Yes, anything is worth what people will pay for it (so, DJT stock has been "worth" what people would pay -- today, that's apparently $12.40), but when you see such a decoupling from all performance and fundamentals, that highlights the "meme stock" vulnerability of any stock market.  If enough buyers are delusional, they can boost the share price of "We sell baggies of rancid shit, Inc., but nobody has yet bought a single baggie, and nobody is likely to do so" to $1,000 per share.  In that respect, stocks share the same vulnerability of tulip bulbs, beanie babies, crypto, etc.  Sure, it's worth $1,000 because enough of you say so....but if enough of you stop saying so, then it craters, and there are no fundamentals behind it as a backstop.  If you're holding DJT when it craters to $.02 per share, you aren't going to be bailed out by a liquidation of its assets, or a dividend based on its annual profits.  There's nothing there.  Zero.  It's all smoke and hocus pocus.

GameStop?

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

If a stock is on the “hard to borrow “ list which DJT certainly is, you can be paying over 20% interest on the initial valuation of the shares you borrowed to short. 

Hans, Bubi.  I'm your white knight.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1